Code of Conduct

Default PONK module 9 - odour descriptions here (spoiler alert past post 1)

PONK is an organised regular blind smelling group gymnosium. Fun nose practice for any level of perfumers with a monthly mystery box of untitled materials.

This is open house practice to learn and share information on BN. Those who do not wish to order a pre-prepared box can still join in with a single module lag.... by going to the relevant reveal first to get the right materials for yourself, and then just join in the discussion on that thread.

Module 9 is the ninth box in this series and this is the thread to post your smelling observations and comments.

It is purely for nose training practice and discussion amongst beginners and seasoned noses alike. You do not have to identify the material to join in. Just come on thread and say whatever you like. There are no barriers or judges. It is encouragement to trust your own nose.

The aim is NOT to guess the mystery ingredients....but to use your nose to contemplate it fully without that pressure to recognise the material.

For this who have ordered one then look out for these landing on your mat soon (I hope)

And guess the nose..... for the nosy.

When you get yours, please do not spoil the fun for those without their boxes by saying what you think it actually is, but by all means do post your thoughts and observations. These modules are not about guessing the identity of the notes in the slightest, only observing them.

Each box contains the materials in numbered vials and the reveal is within the box in a semi sealed document. Partly for customs inspection reasons. Have a bit of fun and test yourself by smelling blind whilst making notes, but then wait and discuss before peeking.

In most modules, the contents are related to the nose image in a roundabout way. See what you think.

After this post, then don't read anymore on this thread if yours isn't there yet (unless you want to).

For an evaluation sheet, press this nose.

(Anyone can raid these for their own use. There is a different one for each module on the evaluation page here)

BTW... Please do NOT test these on your skin but only on smelling strips before knowing what they are.

They are at various strengths to suit each project module. These are concentrated chemicals at the end of the day and need respecting as such. Please only use smelling strips until you know what they are and how much to use.

The dilutions are at varied strengths in this box to suit the material.
    ...some were suggested to be smelled even at 1% but I wanted you to be able to have enough to use afterwards, so if you wish to further dilute, then do so with impunity. It will happily go down to even 1% or even 0.01% for subtle nuances.

This time I used a diluent of 50% IPM to PA with most. I used the PA alongside the IPM to at least obtain some projection whilst toeing the line for flash points. I think this makes a good compromise for the postal restrictions.

Don't rush these. There is plenty of time, and learning to smell isn't a race. Enjoy them and post your thoughts whenever you like... or not.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients

Default Re: PONK module 9 - odour descriptions here (spoiler alert past post 1)

Ok, here goes:
    #1 Fresh, Citrusy, very orangey, but with a carrot seed overtone.
    #2 Faint, Coffee/chocolate, creamy, very volatile, disappears quickly
    #3 Leather, Quinoline-ish, heavy
    #4 Bitter, strong, coriander like
    #5 A cross between violet leaf and Lily, almost cedar-like
    #6 Bright, Clean, I know this one because of Terre d'Hermès

I only got one correct. Some of these I had not smelled prior, what a great set for the gymnosium! Thanks Mumsy
    I am really enjoying the game and the final reveal at the end is so much fun.... and humbling. LOL
    #5 was the very elusive, and so very complex, a new favourite for me.
    Last edited by julian35; 5th April 2017 at 03:24 PM.

No matter what the material, it is really, really hard smelling blind. You've picked up some interesting nuances there and I will smell them again to see what you are getting. Interestingly it is equally valuable sniffing with a 'borrowed' nose on another persons comments. It is why not knowing is so important to learn from, and to free the nose from the mind.

I was at a cosmetics fair yesterday and one of the French suppliers did it to me with an essential oil. He said, 'as you are a nose then we will see'..... I was game. It was extremely familiar but I just couldn't put my finger on it when put on the spot. I could smell a liquoricey anisic nuance but knew that wasn't it. The show was busy and I was probably rushed but I just couldn't get it. It was Estragon (Tarragon). Then he laughed and said that was hard, so gave me an easier one. Peppermint, but a superb one with a spearmint, clean nuance. I shall be plugging his company later with some orders from them for PONK. I have seldom smelled such beautiful quality in essential oils. They were organic and delightful. He was very proud of them and rightly so.

I wonder if you can guess the nose now you know what these are. I don't know if this nose is known so well in other countries.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

My Tincture list

First I want to thank mumsy for providing ponk, it makes me rediscover materials from completely different angles.

1 This one reminds me of coriander leaf. It has a pungent green hissy note combined with a lower mouldy note. They go on for hours... and I still don't like it.

2 Maple furanone or maltarome base come to my mind, when I smell this one. It has something strong and sharp caramelly-bread-like to it. Would need very careful dosage, I imagine. At 10 % it is rather not maple furanone. But probably something similar.

3 Smells strongly of saffron, piercing and intense, also appetising, keeps for 3 to 4 hours.

4 Reminds me of cumin seed (Cuminum cyminum), first very uherbal spicy, then turns into something very waxy (long chain hydrocarbon-like) and keeps going strong for 8 to 10 hours.

5 nice sandalwood aspects in sligthly spicy background, but very weak, far too coloured for good use. The sandalwood aspect is lost quickly within minutes and remains a weak undefined and dull spicy smell. At 20% not useful.

6 There's a strong impression of limonene. Has line-orange aspects and at the same time some animalic-urinous undertone. Could be a herb. But then shifts into something very eastern spicy with time, so that it is difficult to say.

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by filousoph View Post
    5 nice sandalwood aspects in sligthly spicy background, but very weak, far too coloured for good use. The sandalwood aspect is lost quickly within minutes and remains a weak undefined and dull spicy smell. At 20% not useful.
    If you would like a sample of this at the full strength then I will send it to you.

My Tincture list

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    If you would like a sample of this at the full strength then I will send it to you.
    That's not quite what I meant. I do appreciate the sandalwood aspects of the material very much, but it is very weak. So a perfume I would have to use high concentrations. Combined with the rather strong yellow colour inherent to the material, I guess I would end up with a perfume that leaves yellow stains on skin and clothes, which is undesirable. That's why I came to it not being very useful.

Here's my take of the module 9:

1: It smells of very vibrant, very concentrated coriander leaves to me, as if I chewed a whole bouquet together. The woodiness and bitterness pushed the herbal freshness around the edge, and I even got a soapy feeling as well.

2: At first, a balmy sweetness with a fruity tart edge, which makes me think of dried date. But with time, it becomes more spicier and old wood-like. The piquant quality even makes me think of a softer coriander.

3: It has a tart taste reminding me of stewed fruit but with a vibrant fizziness. The whole makes me think of clove, but less "meaty" than directly smelling the clove bud.

4: At the very first moment, it reminds me of curry. But soon I smell the nutty, earthy cumin. There's a somewhat fattiness which makes me think of cumin flavoured Gouda cheese.

5: It smells like curcuma to me, that dry, earthy curry flavour without the sharpness of cumin. The more I smell it, the more it has a somewhat "meaty" effect which probably stems from the culinary association of my brain.

6: At first, it has a fizzy, bright, lemon peel-like freshness and a balmy sweetness, almost like 7-up but with a laundry undertone. There's also a dry herbal touch which becomes ginger-like with time, however not overly fizzy spicy nor dry bitter spicy like some ginger flavours can be. It also reminds me of southeast asian cuisine with fish.

Edit: Now that I checked the answer, the 3 and 6 are completely different from what I thought how they would smell as a "note" in certain perfumes. What an enlightening experience!
    Last edited by StellaDiverFlynn; 4th May 2017 at 08:08 PM.
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

What fabulous descriptions... Thank you.

It really illustrates the whole point of these boxes. If we all post our raw impressions of these materials when smelling utterly blind. Then all preconceptions go right out of the window and the 'real' smell of the material can be obtained by others without the boxes by just reading each whole thread instead. Smelling blind is so very important to avoid being already influenced by how we think it 'ought to smell'.

Our noses our such incredibly trustworthy things and we've forgotten as humans how to rely on them and believe in them. We certainly trust them less than our eyes. Think how any times you've discarded that past-the-sell-by-date ham in the fridge when your nose has told you it's perfectly ok to eat. Having seen the date, then the doubt creeps in.... and in the bin that perfectly good ham goes. That pig went to piggy heaven for that doubt so it isn't honourable to chuck him. Love your nose and believe in it.

Number 10 on it's way out. It got held up a bit by the Easter hols and kids but I'm on it....

My Tincture list