Code of Conduct
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The official Ralph Lauren Polo Green thread

I'm not over Polo.

Normally I only go with a single spray since it's such a strong and "challenging" scent. But today I went with two sprays and I'm getting a much more pleasant experience through the dry down. Normally I get that ugly plastic/rubber smell at the middle for a couple hours. Today—none of that. Instead, I'm getting sweet beautiful pine all throughout.

This reminds me. Before the pandemic, I was at my local Macy's fragrance department just checking stuff out. I asked the older sales associate if they had a particular fragrance in stock and was told, no, it'd been discontinued (it wasn't). The SA asks if I'm interested in anything else. I mentioned wanting to try Polo and they say, "Oh, this one is not popular! It's old. Sometimes people who don't know about it will test it on the paper and it scares away other customers. They can smell it all the way, over there, in the women's department."

They're trying to make a sale, right? I would think a sales person would say something along the lines of, Ah, Polo. This is an all-time classic. Very masculine.

Welp, I got my Cosmair 80s-era bottle in the mail yesterday and MAN this is awesome! And so different from the current formulation. I'm not a huge vintage guy, and I've tried a few things in different formulations that clearly shifted over the years (and usually toward something less rich and full and more synthetic-seeming). I mean, the central accord is clear in both, and you can tell they're the same fragrance. But the vintage ROARS where the current formulation squeaks - the oakmoss, tobacco and slightly animalic leather take this waaaay beyond the territory of the current formulation, which is like looking at all that basenote power through a top-middle note lens of lilac-green glass.

Before I owned any Polo, I had a decant of TF Italian Cypress. When I bought the current Polo, I could see the connection, but it wasn't huge. But now with the vintage I really get it. I honestly think Italian Cypress has a character, if not structure, that is closer to vintage Polo than current Polo is. Either way, if there's anything that will send me down the ebay rabbit hole, it's gonna be vintage Polo. I'm a convert!
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Welp, I got my Cosmair 80s-era bottle in the mail yesterday and MAN this is awesome! And so different from the current formulation. I'm not a huge vintage guy, and I've tried a few things in different formulations that clearly shifted over the years (and usually toward something less rich and full and more synthetic-seeming). I mean, the central accord is clear in both, and you can tell they're the same fragrance. But the vintage ROARS where the current formulation squeaks - the oakmoss, tobacco and slightly animalic leather take this waaaay beyond the territory of the current formulation, which is like looking at all that basenote power through a top-middle note lens of lilac-green glass.

Before I owned any Polo, I had a decant of TF Italian Cypress. When I bought the current Polo, I could see the connection, but it wasn't huge. But now with the vintage I really get it. I honestly think Italian Cypress has a character, if not structure, that is closer to vintage Polo than current Polo is. Either way, if there's anything that will send me down the ebay rabbit hole, it's gonna be vintage Polo. I'm a convert!
    Nice! Glad you love it. Another successful conversion, haha.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Nice! Glad you love it. Another successful conversion, haha.
    Haha yup, now I'm curious to track down some more vintage. Especially since I was able to find my 80s Cosmair bottle for roughly the same price per ml as current Polo MSRP.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne

Welcome, we've been expecting you!

Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    Welcome, we've been expecting you!
    Hehe

Basenotes Plus

The only Polo i own is a 3 digit Cosmair. I love it, but i really like the stuff i smell in the store. It still smells like Polo to me. No comment on performance, but i might buy a new bottle too.
    I smell.

Basenotes Plus

Check out vintage splash Halston Z-14 if you enjoy Italian Cypress as the similarities may surprise you. It can still be found on Ebay for between $25 - $50.

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    The only Polo i own is a 3 digit Cosmair. I love it, but i really like the stuff i smell in the store. It still smells like Polo to me. No comment on performance, but i might buy a new bottle too.
    Yes the newer stuff isn’t too bad, I have a bunch of 2014-2017 batches are they are fine to me I never seeked out vintage just been happy with what I’ve been able to get.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    My vintage is the same, and I honestly like both. Think of current formulation as a modern flanker.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    Check out vintage splash Halston Z-14 if you enjoy Italian Cypress as the similarities may surprise you. It can still be found on Ebay for between $25 - $50.
    Good to know. I’ve tried current Z-14 and it’s pretty meh. But sounds like vintage is worth seeking out.

I think my favorite time to wear Ralph Lauren Polo is in the warmer weather the heat really brings this fragrance to life and it shines all day long. In the cooler weather it still smells nice but the heat brings different aspects of the fragrance to life and it smells phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I think my favorite time to wear Ralph Lauren Polo is in the warmer weather the heat really brings this fragrance to life and it shines all day long. In the cooler weather it still smells nice but the heat brings different aspects of the fragrance to life and it smells phenomenal.
    Now that you bring it to my attention, that's very true. It's really pops off the skin in warmer temps.

Luxury Products Polo is a scrubber. I bought this to compare to the original, and well, the synthetic harshness made me wonder how this sells.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac0011 View Post
    Luxury Products Polo is a scrubber. I bought this to compare to the original, and well, the synthetic harshness made me wonder how this sells.
    There are noticeable differences in the luxury product versions though. Made in USA vs. made in France.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jmac0011 View Post
    I personally prefer the Luxury Products version with the tall spray atomizer. Easy to find on Ebay and you may prefer it over the current stubby sprayer version.

s-l1600.jpg

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Cologne Cabinet speaks truth!

I personally prefer the Luxury Products version with the tall spray atomizer. Easy to find on Ebay and you may prefer it over the current stubby sprayer version.

s-l1600.jpg
    It’s excellent stuff I love the look and feel of this sprayer.
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Givenchy Gentleman EDT Originale
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3čme Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Cartier Pasha De Cartier Parfum
    Salvatore Ferragamo F Pour Homme Black

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Do I have this right?

-The Luxury Products tall-sprayer bottles are pretty solid overall, but somewhere in the 2010s batches get a little wonky. Is that the plastic/rubber note I get at the heart of my 2015 bottle?

-Neither vintage nor the current stubby sprayers have the sharp opening of the tall sprayer reform. The vintage top notes either burnt out or died of old age. The current stubby sprayer just skips the introduction and goes straight to the heart.

And what does the lack of treemoss mean for the stubby sprayer version?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    Do I have this right?

-The Luxury Products tall-sprayer bottles are pretty solid overall, but somewhere in the 2010s batches get a little wonky. Is that the plastic/rubber note I get at the heart of my 2015 bottle?

-Neither vintage nor the current stubby sprayers have the sharp opening of the tall sprayer reform. The vintage top notes either burnt out or died of old age. The current stubby sprayer just skips the introduction and goes straight to the heart.
    2016-2017 bottles are solid with the tall sprayer.
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3čme Homme

.the short sprayer bottles are reformulated juice . i think it was around 2017 or 18 or 19 they changed the formula again

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    Do I have this right?

And what does the lack of treemoss mean for the stubby sprayer version?
    all the Luxury Products tall-sprayer bottles that ive had all where about the same .. i had a bunch of different year batches and notice very lil change unless you go to the Luxury Products 5 digit batches they smell more green and not as harsh

Make what you will of this, but last night my sister brought over her 11 week old puppy, and I was making them both smell some new fragrances. I tried out vintage and current Polo; the puppy started jumping around and barking at the bottle when we let it smell the vintage. No reaction whatsoever from the current. I think the winner is clear!
    Last edited by jkonick; 12th April 2021 at 06:14 PM.

Make what you will of this, but last night my sister brought over her 11 month old puppy, and I was making them both smell some new fragrances. I tried out vintage and current Polo; the puppy started jumping around and barking at the bottle when we let it smell the vintage. No reaction whatsoever from the current. I think the winner is clear!
    Lol funny!
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3čme Homme

My Australian Shephard always smells my fragrances. My Golden Retriever couldn't care less. But my Aussie is always sniffing fragrances and also when I get out of the shower.

My Australian Shephard always smells my fragrances. My Golden Retriever couldn't care less. But my Aussie is always sniffing fragrances and also when I get out of the shower.
    Hah that’s funny. I always like seeing how animals react to fragrances.

Oh and there was a typo, it’s an 11 WEEK old puppy. But I’ll be sure to check back in a year

Was at Macy's doing some birthday shopping. Checked out the fragrances and they aren't carrying Polo. Just the Cologne Intense. I shouldn't be surprised but I am.

Basenotes Plus

Was at Macy's doing some birthday shopping. Checked out the fragrances and they aren't carrying Polo. Just the Cologne Intense. I shouldn't be surprised but I am.
    Yep, it's only available through their website.

― Mark Twain

Sad.

Yep, it's only available through their website.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Sad.
    Meanwhile, they are displaying 4 different flankers from the blue line.

Basenotes Plus

Meanwhile, they are displaying 4 different flankers from the blue line.
    Polo Green is walkin’ the mile boys.....luckily there is still an ocean’s worth of it on the grey market if you need more.

― Mark Twain

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 LastLast