Code of Conduct

Default Daniel Josier Ambre Tabac opinions please!

Hello Gents!

I need the opinion of those who use Daniel Josier Ambre Tabac.
    Before I buy it I would like to find out how it is compared to other tobacco and amber fragrances.
    I love for example HdP Ambre114, Mugler Pure Havane and Pure Malt.
    I used to own Phaedon Tabac Rouge and I didn't like it because of the sweetness and the powerful cinmamon notes.
    I love the incense and bergamot notes, that's why I have hopes for Ambre Tabac.
    Your thoughts and comparisons are most welcome!

Default Re: Daniel Josier Ambre Tabac opinions please!

I just checked the BN directory and didn't see anything, but fragrantica did have a few reviews. I've never sampled this one, but it sounds promising.

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...bac-29785.html
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

I'd never heard of this but going from the blurb:

"Convincing but sweet. It opens with a combination of African incense and bergamot, giving way to a woody heart composed by the always sensual sandalwood who strengthen its intensity by the patchouly. The note that makes it different from other oriental-vanille fragrances, is, the personality of the tobacco leaf that we find as base note. Vanille and amber complete this so personal perfume." - a note from the brand.

Ambre Tabac by Daniel Josier is a Oriental Woody fragrance for men. The nose behind this fragrance is Daniel Josier. Top notes are incense and bergamot; middle notes are patchouli and sandalwood; base notes are amber, tobacco and vanilla.
    This sounds like an absolute knockout to me although admittedly I was already hooked from the name. Will procure a sample and look forward to your thoughts if you manage to sniff it before I.

This stuff looks phenomenal but is a tough find. I see it listed on ebay with only one offering from a seller in Spain. I sure would like to get a sample of this if anyone feels like doing a split?
    Currently wearing: Oud Divin by Robert Piguet

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

This house offers a sample set of six scents of 5ml of your choice for € 40.00 or Ambre Tabac 100ml for € 115.00 and they ship worldwide FYI.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This house offers a sample set of six scents of 5ml of your choice for € 40.00 or Ambre Tabac 100ml for € 115.00 and they ship worldwide FYI.
    Just ordered the sampler set a few days ago. 30 ml for 40 euros is a pretty sweet deal to me.

Here's a little more info. Looks like this line is going to be available in the US.

http://www.myfashioncents.com/2017/d...sier-perfumes/
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Just ordered the sampler set a few days ago. 30 ml for 40 euros is a pretty sweet deal to me.
    Congrats on that!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

beautiful scent!!

one of the best dry tobacco note out there ... followed by a spicy amber/vanille base at the background.

As if the above were not enough , performance is amazing as well .. Green leather is another winner of his line.

Btw: the next July 14 in Miami , he will present a perfume master class , hosted by Osme perfumery.
    Glorious Bastards
    Opium pour homme edp
    Rive gauche
    Knize ten
    M7 fresh
    M7

My samples arrived (thanks Natalie), here's my quick impressions based on the opening and around 30 minutes of wear:

Ambre Tabac
    Incense dominated opening which smoothly segues into a moderately sweet and dry tobacco note that is given a bit of volume with the amber.

Vetiver
    Dry, slightly bitter vetiver opening that is sitting on some nice citric notes. After about 20 minutes a wonderfully realistic grapefruit kicks in. Quite delicious, this scent feels transparent in that you can see through its layers once its in full swing.

Mystery Oud
    A light and spicy western palette friendly oud that is really well blended.

Magnolia
    Brilliant effervescent citric opening with a smooth waxy iris that sits on a dry, soft vetiver and sandalwood base.

Le Musk
    Very feminine. Standard floral overdose fare like most ladies scents tend to be.

Bois d’Iris
    I’ve sampled something very much like this before. The vetiver is prominent but smoothed out with a nice soft nutmeg accord. Quite appealing.

Green Leather
    Tuscan Leather for teenagers. Very playful and bright rendition of an old favourite with the addition of saffron that makes its shimmer.

Josune
    What a juxtaposition this one is, on one hand you have an excellent and realistic praline note and on the other a natural jasmine accord that is tempered with elements of rose and bergamot. Should be a trainwreck but works.

Interdit Absente
    Deliciously fresh and minty opening that smells uber realistic that sits on some crisp musks and a base that feels bubbly. Quite different.

Tuberose
    Another very feminine scent, just a melange of florals riding that musk wave as they all do.

Orquidea Negra
    Very different and interesting, this one smells like dirt and chocolate at the same time.

Kaleidoscope
    Herbal aromatic overdose, imagine that old people joint pain removing accord but gone niche and there you have it.

And those are my quick impressions. Will update the thread with more detailed takes once I’ve given them a proper blast with a full days wear to see how they develop. You can tell the nose likes the Tom Ford way of doing things but without the heavy denseness that Ford usually brings to the table as a lot of the scents have this airy, summery vibe going on and most of them smell very natural as they don’t have that aromachemical laden boom going on that is so common place in the niche sector these days as houses engage in their own loudness wars. There is a nice amount of separation between the notes which makes the blend feel quite large and voluminous without being overpowering.

Thanks for those impressions above. Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    My samples arrived (thanks Natalie), here's my quick impressions based on the opening and around 30 minutes of wear:

Ambre Tabac
    Incense dominated opening which smoothly segues into a moderately sweet and dry tobacco note that is given a bit of volume with the amber.

Vetiver
    Dry, slightly bitter vetiver opening that is sitting on some nice citric notes. After about 20 minutes a wonderfully realistic grapefruit kicks in. Quite delicious, this scent feels transparent in that you can see through its layers once its in full swing.

Mystery Oud
    A light and spicy western palette friendly oud that is really well blended.

Magnolia
    Brilliant effervescent citric opening with a smooth waxy iris that sits on a dry, soft vetiver and sandalwood base.

Le Musk
    Very feminine. Standard floral overdose fare like most ladies scents tend to be.

Bois d’Iris
    I’ve sampled something very much like this before. The vetiver is prominent but smoothed out with a nice soft nutmeg accord. Quite appealing.

Green Leather
    Tuscan Leather for teenagers. Very playful and bright rendition of an old favourite with the addition of saffron that makes its shimmer.

Josune
    What a juxtaposition this one is, on one hand you have an excellent and realistic praline note and on the other a natural jasmine accord that is tempered with elements of rose and bergamot. Should be a trainwreck but works.

Interdit Absente
    Deliciously fresh and minty opening that smells uber realistic that sits on some crisp musks and a base that feels bubbly. Quite different.

Tuberose
    Another very feminine scent, just a melange of florals riding that musk wave as they all do.

Orquidea Negra
    Very different and interesting, this one smells like dirt and chocolate at the same time.

Kaleidoscope
    Herbal aromatic overdose, imagine that old people joint pain removing accord but gone niche and there you have it.

And those are my quick impressions. Will update the thread with more detailed takes once I’ve given them a proper blast with a full days wear to see how they develop. You can tell the nose likes the Tom Ford way of doing things but without the heavy denseness that Ford usually brings to the table as a lot of the scents have this airy, summery vibe going on and most of them smell very natural as they don’t have that aromachemical laden boom going on that is so common place in the niche sector these days as houses engage in their own loudness wars. There is a nice amount of separation between the notes which makes the blend feel quite large and voluminous without being overpowering.
    Thank you Palmolive!

Mother Teresa

Just got my bottle.My god it's good !!!

Where did you order from?
    Contemplating bilnd buying tabac and green leather.
    Any updates on smell?
    Currently wearing: Woodcut by Olympic Orchids

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Interdit Absente sounds very interesting.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

This one is now available in the US from Osme Perfumery. Unfortunately, what once cost 90 Euro for 100ml is now $210. I guess the presumed hype over this has led to some US pricing adjustments.

It's usually 1 day after a YouTube hype video starts price doubles
    I thought those euro bottles were only 50ml though?

Quote Originally Posted by OneBlueSummer View Post
    It's usually 1 day after a YouTube hype video starts price doubles
    I thought those euro bottles were only 50ml though?
    100 ml .. there is only 100 ml size

Quote Originally Posted by OneBlueSummer View Post
    Contemplating bilnd buying tabac and green leather.
    Any updates on smell?
    beautiful fragrances , both ..

ambre tabac has one of the best dry tobacco note with beast performance
    green leather is beautiful : fruity green note, saffrom, raspberry, suede ..
    Last edited by blackened; 14th July 2017 at 05:03 PM.
    Glorious Bastards
    Opium pour homme edp
    Rive gauche
    Knize ten
    M7 fresh
    M7

THanks but his site says 50ml? http://danieljosierusa.com/en/galeria/shareperfume/50

I wrote him twice and havent revived a message back, I think he's still in Miami though so maybe when he gets back.

Basenotes Plus

I smelled this one when I was at Osme. It very much resembles Hermessence Ambre Narguille by Hermes.

The line is good. I didn't get a chance to give all of them my attention when I was there, since I was coated in so many other scents at the time.

From what I remember, this perfumer worked with Jean Claude Ellena.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

I want to try this one but im not to horny about ambre narguille... Just how similar are these to each other? is this similar in how some people say that one million prive is similar like just a slight resemblance, or are we talking about more cloneish possible redundancy?

Id like to think of it as something less noveltish like the hermessance apple cinnamon pie thing and would like to assume this is more of well.. its name ambre and tobacco ...

What say everyone? thankssssssss

Basenotes Plus

Attachment 70039

Ambre Tabac - smells like a drier version of Tobacco Vanille meeting Ambre Narguille, but with the sweetness dialled down. Pretty impressive, I must say.

Green Leather - reminiscent of Memo Irish Leather, synthetic-smelling green, vaguely fruity but texturally not much leather to chew on. I may have to revisit this one later.

I've been plugging away through my sample set and have to say that most of the range is well worth a sniff as they are so well put together and a step above your run of the mill designer or niche.

Wearing Magnolia today and even though its listed as a womens fragrance i feel a man could pull this off due to the wonderful citrics in the opening along with the creamy/woody base as it all smells so wonderfully inviting. Notes:

Top notes are lemon, bergamot and green notes; middle notes are magnolia, jasmine, rose and nard himalayan (jatamansi); base notes are sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli and vanilla.

This one worked a lot better in the heat though as its 8 degrees here today and it smells a tad stifled compared to how it felt in the middle of summer when the note separation was in full effect and you got that gossamer effect that defines this house in spades whereas the cold makes it clump together a bit and lose some of the magic.

Glad I found this thread, will definitely be checking out that sample set package. If only more niche houses offered a package such as this (MDCI offer a great sample deal).
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Finally got around to getting to try this recently. Deff smells along the lines of ambre narguille, oajan , one million prive. Id say out of those ambre narguille is the most novelty of them in terms of that apple cinnamon pie vibe. Oajan is the harsh, roughest, vibe sorta version of them. And prive is the cherry bubble gum fruity tobacco with that buttery tonka bean dry down version. I think ambre tabac is harsher than prive and ambre narguille but not as much as oajan. Id almost say its kinda like a harsher prive just in terms of just how fruity the tobacco is , but it of course lacks that buttery tonka bean dry down. It also has a spec of CK shock as well to me, but with out that potentially chocolate or coridal touch. And the dry down fruity tobacco stil with a slight rubbery amber mix that I get wiffs of sometimes.

From first testing id say its probably the best of the 4 imo.