Code of Conduct

Default candles and reed diffusers

This is my first post on Basenotes after months of scouring other posts to learn as much as I can! Please let me know if it's in the right place or if info about these topics already exists somewhere.

With a great propensity to learn and a love for the complex I am trying to self teach myself enough about fragrance and some of the right materials to use; mostly interested in naturals and some synthetics, and their compatibility in candles (made from coconut wax and a little beeswax) as well as some reed diffusers. I am trying to make a products to sell and want to get it right.

I have two overarching questions right now:

1. Using isopropyl myristate as a solvent for both candles and reed diffusers.
    Does anyone have experience doing so? Any pearls of wisdom from your experience? Also, any recommendations for a supplier in the US, preferably in the NorthEast? I bought some off amazon to try but I can't get it in a gallon size from a reliable source.

2. Starting the process of acquiring naturals and some synthetics for fragrance development.
    I'm just starting to learn about accords and really don't want to make things too complicated to start. I would like to experiment with developing a couple of scents that are: masculine; floral and woodsy; clean and light; and something I can hopefully have ready for the winter holidays.

At first I thought I would buy a bunch of sample EO's, CO2's, absolutes, and frangrance oils from Edens Botanicals and Perfumers Apprentice, see what smells good, then purchase slightly larger amounts, and then try to dissolve them into the IPM at 10-20%. At that point I was thinking I could experiment with blending. However, I'm trying to be smart about this. Would it make the most sense to narrow down the ones I'm interested by some criteria? Only Heart and Base notes? High flashpoints best? Are there some things that dissolve better in IPM than others? Should I expect to dissolve some things in enthanol vs. IPM then combine them? I don't know enough about how that all works. I'm fine with making the investment in good materials, but would love some guidance on how to find materials best suited for reed diffusers and candles somehow and then also which are most universal ingredients in classic accords related to the scent types I mentioned above. If that makes sense?

Thank you for your time even reading this! All input is welcome.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: candles and reed diffusers

Welcome to you downtoearth! My advice to you is to re-post this in the DIY Forum where experienced perfumers may be able to address your questions much better. Good luck!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thank you, I will!

Actually, now that I look, I can't a find a forum entitled "DIY Forum." Can you tell me which Forum you mean? Sorry...new

Basenotes Junkie

Welcome! Either you found it or you got moved, I guess the latter since your original post is now here. So now you want to search this forum for info on reed diffusers and candles. Read what has alrady been posted, and then ask new questions. Happy perfuming!

Assuming you can read this as it is now in the DIY Forum;

whilst iso Propyl Myristate is a suitable solvent for candles (along with Diethyl Phthalate and Dioctyl Adipate) it is not suitable for Reed Diffusers. IPM is not particularly volatile and so would slow down and eventually stop all emanation before all the fragrance had gone. Better to use Dowanol DPM, Dowanol TPM or a mix of Isopars. I have recently heard of a solvent called Augeo which is supposed to be suitable for Reeds. To find out more you will need to Google the name. It sounds good although it does have a hazard label indicating that it is an eye irritant.
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 1st July 2017 at 11:22 AM.

Thank you David. Another question, would the DPM, TPM or mix of isopars discolor herbs or flowers I'd intend to add to the base liquid for visual appeal?

Also, are those chemicals you mentioned all petroleum based? If so I'd have to avoid them. It would go against my company ethos of creating as natural and environmentally friendly products as possible.

I saw you mentioned Augeo on another post and wonder if anyone here has used it and what they're experience has been?

Finally, if Augeo is a non-petro option, is it available in the US? Wondering how expensive it will be to ship from the UK to NY...

You did not mention that you were only interested in "safe" all "Natural" materials other than toxic petrochemicals. Can you find natural IPM? I don't want to get into the tired argument of natural versus synthetic again; I am so bored with it. Although I would like to remind you (inform you) that many natural materials (I,e Essential Oils) contain a chemical called Limonene. Citrus oils will contain up to 90.0% Limonene. Limonene is classified as an environmental pollutant (bottles of Limonene or Orange Terpenes will have the dead fish/dead tree label), as well as a severe skin irritant.

Enough, I am no longer prepared to help you, and so shall leave this thread.

Augeo was dropped by the supplier I buy from as it was found to be tested on animals. Or at least that is what they said, I have no proof at all. I don't think it isa natural product.

You can get natural sourced IPM - but I think it's a palm oil derivative, so again not really environmentally friendly.

You can use alcohol for reed diffusers, a reed diffuser I have is made with alcohol, but it does evaporate really quickly.

I recently made a body spray with 50/50 alcohol and coco caprylate. It evaporates well on the skin and leaves a silky sheen, and coco caprylate does seem to blend with alcohol to make a thin, lightweight and evaporating mixture, so that might be a natural worth trying to blend into alcohol to slow down the evaporation rate. I've not tried it myself for a reed diffuser, so not certain how it would perform, but it might be worth experimenting with if natural is a must.

Edit: Apparently augeo is soy "derived", so would class as a natural I think?

OUt of curiosity, how do you make commercially viable reed diffuser products with all natural fragrance? Being that a reed diffuser needs 20% fragrance and is usually about 100ml, that would mean 20ml of essential oil per reed diffuser? Do you stick to citrus and lavandin and things like that? Or are ther nature derived frags for reed diffusers ?
    Last edited by Clare30; 2nd July 2017 at 12:37 PM.

Once again, to repeat myself. At one time or another everything used in Perfumery and Cosmetics was tested on animals.

Hello David,

I've read your other posts and you mentioned a mixture of 20% fragrance part, 50% Dowanol DPM & 30% Dowanol TPM for reed diffusers.

I don't have access to a small quantity of TPM. My local suppliers could only sell me 200kg/drum as the MOQ. i do have small supplies of DPM from neighbouring countries.

I've tested 50% fragrance part with 50% DPM in a 100ml reed diffuser bottle and it scented my whole living room! However, i am not satisfied with the rate of evaporation. It is too quick! One week past and half the bottle is already empty. I used 8 reed sticks.

I've bought reed diffusers from USA and those lasts at least 2-4months.

So, with the mixture that you suggested (20% fragrance, 50% DPM, 30% TPM), how long does your reed diffuser last?

Quote Originally Posted by Yan87 View Post
    Hello David,

I've read your other posts and you mentioned a mixture of 20% fragrance part, 50% Dowanol DPM & 30% Dowanol TPM for reed diffusers.

I don't have access to a small quantity of TPM. My local suppliers could only sell me 200kg/drum as the MOQ. i do have small supplies of DPM from neighbouring countries.

I've tested 50% fragrance part with 50% DPM in a 100ml reed diffuser bottle and it scented my whole living room! However, i am not satisfied with the rate of evaporation. It is too quick! One week past and half the bottle is already empty. I used 8 reed sticks.

I've bought reed diffusers from USA and those lasts at least 2-4months.

So, with the mixture that you suggested (20% fragrance, 50% DPM, 30% TPM), how long does your reed diffuser last?
    The usual time requested by our customers was 6 weeks. The reason we used a mixture of Dowanols ( and occasionally we would add some of the Iso Par series) was to try to regulate the evaporation rate. Regulation of evaporation is primarily a function of your fragrance concentrate, but by adjusting the ratio of the Dowanols, fine tuning may be achieved. Dowanol TPM evaporates more slowly and so may be used to slow down the product. However, as you are unable to buy this, you will have to slow down your fragrance concentrate.

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your reply. 6 weeks is a good period. Yes, I've read that Dowanol TPM have a much slower evaporation rate. I shall continue searching for suppliers from neighbouring countries that can supply me small quantities of Dowanol TPM. Thanks David.