Code of Conduct

Default Juniper Ridge samples

For folks who like extremely natural woods fragrances, Juniper Ridge now has individual samples on their website $5 for 3 ml. and you get a $10 off coupon for a full bottle. i love their stuff, but you have to really want to smell like a forest!

https://juniperridge.com/product-cat...ridge/cologne/

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Juniper Ridge samples

I just took a ramble around their website because I've been looking for a sequoia scent. From their notes, it doesn't look like anything there filled that brief.

And I must admit, this made me a little nervous:

"Ingredients
    Organic sugar cane alcohol; 100% natural fragrance: tree pitch, plant sap/juice, steam-distilled essential oils. Extractions of mountains plants, bark, needle and other things found hiking in the backcountry. "

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I just took a ramble around their website because I've been looking for a sequoia scent. From their notes, it doesn't look like anything there filled that brief.

And I must admit, this made me a little nervous:

"Ingredients
    Organic sugar cane alcohol; 100% natural fragrance: tree pitch, plant sap/juice, steam-distilled essential oils. Extractions of mountains plants, bark, needle and other things found hiking in the backcountry. "
    These are amazing scents, but I personally can't stand wearing them. However, as a veteran of the prehistory of outdoor sports, I know people who really, really love these, because they smell like every great moment outdoors.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Sillage Monster

I haven't tried their fragrances but their liquid shower soap is amazingly powerful. I love mountain hiking and the scents are very effective in evoking the scent of the outdoors. It makes the bathroom smell fantastic.
    Currently wearing: No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Like Trilby I enjoyed the bath products so much more than wearing the exhausting / strong / harsh fragrances themselves.

Nice to see that they're selling samples now directly. These are definitely try-before-you-buy type of scents.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Bonheur by Bortnikoff

Blog Entries

I'd like to give them a try. I love the smell of a pine forest and so many perfumers end up making something that smells artificial like PineSol cleanser. Norne by Slumberhouse comes the closest, but their stuff is so nuclear that I can't wear it. TOO strong.
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 22nd July 2017 at 02:23 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    I haven't tried their fragrances but their liquid shower soap is amazingly powerful. I love mountain hiking and the scents are very effective in evoking the scent of the outdoors. It makes the bathroom smell fantastic.
    I found a one-off liquid shower soap ages ago at TJ Maxx that was sequoia scented and adored it; naturally I never found it again, anywhere. It was Method brand, and if anyone knows of something similar I'd be ever so grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I'd like to give them a try. I love the smell of a pine forest and so many perfumers end up making something that smells artificial like PineSol cleanser. Norne by Slumberhouse comes the closest, but their stuff is so nuclear that I can't wear it. TOO strong.
    I'd definitely recommend you try them given what you've said. Siskiyou is the one that best fits what you're describing.I agree with Mike that these are "try-before-you-buy," but for anybody who really wants to smell like they're out hiking on the West Coast, these will do it.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Like Trilby I enjoyed the bath products so much more than wearing the exhausting / strong / harsh fragrances themselves.

Nice to see that they're selling samples now directly. These are definitely try-before-you-buy type of scents.
    Love your description of "exhausting", because that's exactly what they are to the sensitive nose. It's like "Wow! So original! So NATURAL! Now make it stop. IT WON'T STOP!" So bath products make a lot of sense for those of us so afflicted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Love your description of "exhausting", because that's exactly what they are to the sensitive nose. It's like "Wow! So original! So NATURAL! Now make it stop. IT WON'T STOP!" So bath products make a lot of sense for those of us so afflicted.
    Are these strong as in Slumberhouse frags?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Are these strong as in Slumberhouse frags?
    No

Slumberhouse are sweet, resinous, sticky scents that pretty much smell like bases...you know like the base of a fragrance. THAT smell.

Juniper Ridge smell like linear, highly raw and sharp combinations of macerated woods, greens & the sort. Sort of how it smells when you break a tree branch - multiplied by 10.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No

Slumberhouse are sweet, resinous, sticky scents that pretty much smell like bases...you know like the base of a fragrance. THAT smell.

Juniper Ridge smell like linear, highly raw and sharp combinations of macerated woods, greens & the sort. Sort of how it smells when you break a tree branch - multiplied by 10.
    Thanks, either way it sounds like something that although it smells good, the "volume" is turned up too loud to enjoy for long. I'll definitely test before I buy

Basenotes Plus

Yes Possum Pie. It's a smell that perhaps you'd smell if you were a landscaper and were in charge of trimming trees and cleaning out the large tree-shredding machines that chop up whole trunks of trees. But that smell, worn as a fragrance, tends to be a bit tiring.

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Yeah, it's kind of funny that fragrances can be "too natural", but there we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yeah, it's kind of funny that fragrances can be "too natural", but there we are.
    Extraction and production have a lot to do with it in this case. Norne is made from a series of costly CO2 and absolute extractions (which explains the density of color). The Juniper Ridge materials are extracted in the back of a van — a more "wildcraft" kind of thing. But the other key distinction is that Juniper Ridge is showcasing the materials they yank out of the forest more than they are showcasing intricate composition. My experience of the Juniper Ridge scents was they were extremely loud at first and then the volume dropped significantly within minutes. While Norne contains some "rough" materials, the edges are all rounded out — both through the components used (absolutes, "heart" notes etc. — essentially EQ'd materials) as well as through the composition process itself, Juniper Ridge tend to embrace a general raw / rough aesthetic. Mikeperez's description above was largely my experience of them — raw, sharp, unrefined, dirty, but not in an animalic / intentional way; they're more like the scent of someone who just crawled out from a bush after hanging out in there for a week or so. They both have a place, and it's great to see Juniper Ridge still doing so well (I always liked the visual aesthetic of the brand), but I share Redneck's experience of them on skin. Definitely an experience, but sampling is definitely the way to go.
    Last edited by deadidol; 23rd July 2017 at 10:31 PM.

LOL, dead. Still a big fan of Juniper Ridge

Basenotes Plus

I see they now make a Room Spray and incense sticks - just in time for the holidays.

-- D. Elton Trueblood

For those of you who don't know, Hall Newbegin, the founder of Juniper Ridge, died in June of this year at the age of 52 from "complications from a fall." He was a really nice guy and a very generous person. I never met him in person, but we had ongoing email communication for quite some time. At one point he even asked me to go out to the west coast to go out into the woods on a harvesting trip with him and Martha Stewart, who was doing an article or something on him at the time. Sadly, I had just come home from the west coast and had to work so I couldn't go. He also used to send me things he was working on to get my comments about them. Once he randomly sent me a box with all of the different kinds of incense he had at the time. I assume the fall might have been something that happened on one of his outdoor adventures since he was always doing that and wasn't of an age where a normal fall is terminal. Now, every time I wear one of his fragrances, or burn one of his incenses or drink one of his teas, it makes me a a bit sad. It's funny how you can grow fond of somebody you don't really know just by having shared interests - but I guess most of us on Basenotes have experienced that to varying degrees with people on here. R.I.P. Hall.

Wow, that's sad. And makes me think I need to be more careful on my own outdoor adventures. Sounds like he was a great, generous guy.

Always wanted to sample this line (when it was around) but never got around it. Super intriguing concept he had, with the harvesting and distillation of unconventional wild materials. That is really appealing.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

How tragic. I'd been telling myself for ages that I should get some samples of his work.

Have you heard whether anyone will be taking over his fragrance business?

Basenotes Plus

::double post::

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    For those of you who don't know, Hall Newbegin, the founder of Juniper Ridge, died in June of this year at the age of 52 from "complications from a fall." He was a really nice guy and a very generous person. I never met him in person, but we had ongoing email communication for quite some time. At one point he even asked me to go out to the west coast to go out into the woods on a harvesting trip with him and Martha Stewart, who was doing an article or something on him at the time. Sadly, I had just come home from the west coast and had to work so I couldn't go. He also used to send me things he was working on to get my comments about them. Once he randomly sent me a box with all of the different kinds of incense he had at the time. I assume the fall might have been something that happened on one of his outdoor adventures since he was always doing that and wasn't of an age where a normal fall is terminal. Now, every time I wear one of his fragrances, or burn one of his incenses or drink one of his teas, it makes me a a bit sad. It's funny how you can grow fond of somebody you don't really know just by having shared interests - but I guess most of us on Basenotes have experienced that to varying degrees with people on here. R.I.P. Hall.
    Oh wow - he sounds like a nice guy. Very sad.

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    How tragic. I'd been telling myself for ages that I should get some samples of his work.

Have you heard whether anyone will be taking over his fragrance business?
    Juniper Ridge is still going to have some fragrances but they've scrapped the higher priced ones. I think my first contact with Hall was when I emailed him to tell him that if he wanted to sell perfume to people who buy perfume he needed to stop talking about his perfumes as being "for people who don't like perfume." He did come around on that and got more and more serious about refining the formulas until he was down to marketing only his three best ones (Siskiyou, Big Sur, and Mojave) which were also my favorite three. Eventually though, he gave up on the idea of being known for his perfumes and now the brand is mostly less expensive fragrances that are perhaps more broadly appealing, but are still natural and woodsy. The teas and incenses they make haven't changed. The last I heard from him before his fall was in a very jovial email about how ridiculous he must have been for trying to be taken seriously as a perfumer. I didn't really buy his tone though, because I know he was proud of those three perfumes. I still love them.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    He sounds like he was a great guy. Very sad news.