Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: what are some best jeans?

Banana Republic has a line of jeans called "Traveler", surely not the best fabric but amazing in terms of stretch and comfort. I'd wear these whenever I have a long flight. Can't vouch for durability.
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Banana Republic has a line of jeans called "Traveler", surely not the best fabric but amazing in terms of stretch and comfort. I'd wear these whenever I have a long flight. Can't vouch for durability.
    I wish there were more Banana Republics near me. Several locations closed up around 10 years ago or so. The one in Indianapolis is somewhat of a pain to get to for me.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

everyday i'm samplin'

I wore lucky, diesel, true religion, mek, guess, rock revivals, back when i cared much. Now straight levi signiture. Ive got a short torso, so oddly proportioned, perfect fit and cut is essential.
    I smell.

Freed from BN Institution

This year I've focused primarily on 7 For All Mankind, their boutiques are wonderful.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I like the Traveler series from BR a lot. I own jeans and khakis in that line and all wear well and have been durable. For higher end I like AG jeans a lot also

Dependent

I just ordered some Momos. I love denim!

This short video makes me treasure them even more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek5520fSymY
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    I like the Traveler series from BR a lot. I own jeans and khakis in that line and all wear well and have been durable. For higher end I like AG jeans a lot also
    I recently got two pair of traveler jeans. Not the extra stretchy ones but the thicker, less stretch version. I forget what they're called but I love them.

I have a pair of these in black. They are a little bit tight, I probably should have sized up, but they are indeed comfortable. I also got a pair of jeans as a gift from Banana Republic that I reach for all the time. They are the "athletic taper" and feel very comfortable. Extra room in the seat and thighs is great for someone who squats 2 to 3 times a week.

In my opinion if money is no object, the best jeans are made in either Japan or Italy.

Basenotes Plus

Big fan of Canadian brand Naked and Famous for raw denim. Still love Levis. Dearborn Denim is affordable and stylish (and handmade in Chicago). If I wanna flex, PRPS, Purple or Dior.

This thread has got me thinking, I could use a nice new pair of jeans.

I recently got two pair of these... very comfortable...

https://www.timberland.com/shop/mens...-grey-a1nwv033

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I have a pair of these in black. They are a little bit tight, I probably should have sized up, but they are indeed comfortable. I also got a pair of jeans as a gift from Banana Republic that I reach for all the time. They are the "athletic taper" and feel very comfortable. Extra room in the seat and thighs is great for someone who squats 2 to 3 times a week.
    Try the BR Legacy jean. The sell a slim fit but not as tight as the traveler.

Just a heads up about Levis - last year I bought a pair in slim fit 512, they call it "chain rinse, medium wash" (talking about the shade/colour). This fit me so well that I bought two more pairs of 512 in other colours. I realised painfully after a few wears that the subsequent ones I bought have a significant amount of flex, and lose their shape, especially becoming loose around waist. The first pair ("chain rise") doesn't have this, has only minimal flex, and is a great wear. I do like some flex, I have some from G-Star and Banana Republic with stretch - but those guys know what they are doing. They do stretch right. Even if the material loosens up a bit after few wears (waiting for a wash to return to previous state), they never look or feel sloppy. Unfortunately that is not the case with Levis. I'm looking to downsize my wardrobe a bit, and there's some chance I'd just give these two pairs away. That's a shame, I wish they had more in 512s without or with minimal stretch.

That's a surprise, coming from Levi. You would think that the 'OG' jeans maker would have put more R &D into it to prevent that.

Basenotes Plus

I like PAIGE.

After a LOT of trial and error (and in Canada it's hard to find many brands ....), I've found my 'holy grail' jeans based on fit, looks and comfort - G-Star Raw 3301 slim jeans.

Note: These are 'fashion' jeans, not work jeans.

After a LOT of trial and error (and in Canada it's hard to find many brands ....), I've found my 'holy grail' jeans based on fit, looks and comfort - G-Star Raw 3301 slim jeans.

Note: These are 'fashion' jeans, not work jeans.
    How is the fit on this one?

How is the fit on this one?
    Slim, snug but not skinny. Maybe kind of skinny on me around thigh (I'm average build) but definitely not skinny from knee and down. It has a bit of elastane to provide stretch, but it doesn't become too loose after wearing it a few times (and before a wash). They don't have the stretch related issue I mentioned in a few posts above. Looking at stock photos, I'd say these are representative -

Slim, snug but not skinny. Maybe kind of skinny on me around thigh (I'm average build) but definitely not skinny from knee and down. It has a bit of elastane to provide stretch, but it doesn't become too loose after wearing it a few times (and before a wash). They don't have the stretch related issue I mentioned in a few posts above. Looking at stock photos, I'd say these are representative -

They look very nice, but I'm quite certain the fit would not work for me.

Basenotes Institution The Colognnoisseur's Avatar

THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA

Basenotes Plus

My latest are Iron Heart 301S-21, and I’m quite happy with them.
    Currently wearing: Whisper by Lucien Lelong

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Best jeans for me are Levi 502s. They're tapered so they complement any build and they're comfortable. Just wash in cold and hang dry and they stay looking like new.

I used to swear by the original 501s but they never fit well. Aside from the classic shiny indigo color, I don't see the appeal. Button fly, baggy at the calves/ankles, and too stiff.

I just purchased a pair of dark indigo jeans by Paige from Nordstrom Rack a few days ago. Spent $100 on them, which is about 50% less than retail. They have a great shape to them and they are ridiculously stretchy. They do hug my legs but they don't look like they are squeezing them (I'm firmly against skinny jeans). They look like a well-fitting slim fit jean, but the stretch allows them to accommodate my muscular thighs and rear. There is sufficient room in the crotch, and a 34 fits perfectly around my waste (no more kidding myself - I'm not a 32 anymore). I would recommend them to anyone looking for a comfortable, sharp looking pair of jeans with some stretch for comfort. True denim heads may want to pass, however, as it's only about half cotton and half rayon, with a little bit of spandex.

I’d like to recommend a local company, Dearborn Denim (dearborndenim.us). Their jeans are classically styled, very reasonably priced, and available in several different fits for men and women. I bought a pair some months ago in their Waist High Curve fit, and I’m thrilled to bits with them - finally, a pair I don’t have to spend $70 to have tailored!

Many styles come in a choice of denim (I bought the 13 oz. which is very sturdy). They’ll hem the jeans to your chosen length, which is a huge plus for anyone taller or shorter than average. And they manufacture locally, right here in Chicago.

They have two retail locations in Chicago and also ship throughout the US. Not sure about international shipping, but it could be worth an inquiry.

I have no connection to the company other than being a happy customer. Please check ‘em out: dearborndenim.us.

I went to that Dearborn denim website and it looks promising. Iím always a little bit reluctant to order clothing online unless Iíve been able to try it on locally. Iíve read that they have a sizing tool and some people say that it doesnít work for them. I like the fact that they make khaki denim as I want a pair of those and a pair of black jeans. The prices seem right. I just worry about how they fit as I am somewhere between a straight fit and a skinny jean but I also wear boots

Yeah, their online tool gave me a size that was close to the one I actually bought, but it wasn’t an exact match. I’ve learned a trick for buying clothes online: measure a pair you already own that fits you well. Be sure to check any areas of concern (for example, the width at the hem to ensure they’ll fit over your boots). Then contact customer service and ask them for the corresponding garment measurements - garment, not body measurements - for their item. This takes individual taste and non-standard sizing into account and has saved me a lot of grief.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck in your search!

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    I’m always a little bit reluctant to order clothing online unless I’ve been able to try it on locally.
    Me, too. It's very difficult for me to find a pair of jeans that fit right. I have wide hips, rather thick thighs and glutes, and skinny calves... Whenever I'm tempted to just go 2 sizes up for comfort around the legs, the waist is far to loose. Admittedly, my waist has gotten bigger, but still. Men should not have this hard of a time finding something as simple as jeans.

Men should not have this hard of a time finding something as simple as jeans.
    No one should. Now you know what women go through.

Jos A Bank had a sale. 1905 line. Tailored fit. Dark wash. And Black as well. Fit this 60 year old well. Better fit than Levi’s. Two pair for $70.

I have some stretch 7 for All Mankind. 2%. Tend to get baggy towards the end of the day. Don’t know how I feel about that. That’s part of why I’m trying the Bank jeans