Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Default Re: what are some best jeans?

Diesel and Levi’s for me but looking to try 7 for all mankind. Hard to find in the UK though.

MD > LA > NYC > Chicago > MSP > NYC > LA > Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by cdave2 View Post
    Id like to recommend a local company, Dearborn Denim (dearborndenim.us). Their jeans are classically styled, very reasonably priced, and available in several different fits for men and women. I bought a pair some months ago in their Waist High Curve fit, and Im thrilled to bits with them - finally, a pair I dont have to spend $70 to have tailored!

Many styles come in a choice of denim (I bought the 13 oz. which is very sturdy). Theyll hem the jeans to your chosen length, which is a huge plus for anyone taller or shorter than average. And they manufacture locally, right here in Chicago.

They have two retail locations in Chicago and also ship throughout the US. Not sure about international shipping, but it could be worth an inquiry.

I have no connection to the company other than being a happy customer. Please check em out: dearborndenim.us.
    FYI, Nordstrom will typically do basic tailoring for $15.

Quote Originally Posted by LinePlaneVolume View Post
    FYI, Nordstrom will typically do basic tailoring for $15.
    Thank you, but with jeans I typically need to have the waistband taken in quite a bit - it’s more than a basic alteration. Thanks for the tip, though!

Just ordered some Paige jeans as Harrods had them at 50% off in their sale. Fingers crossed they fit ok....

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by emtee View Post
    Just ordered some Paige jeans as Harrods had them at 50% off in their sale. Fingers crossed they fit ok....
    I recently bought some Paige jeans from Nordstrom Rack, as they were also about 50% off of retail. I like them overall, but they are a bit soft for my preference. The color and fit and everything is nice.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

These jeans with the stretch fabric just don't hold up as long as the ones that are pure cotton. My Banana Republic jeans, after about 10 months, are starting to pull apart between the legs. That's a good run compared to other brands I've tried lately.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    These jeans with the stretch fabric just don't hold up as long as the ones that are pure cotton. My Banana Republic jeans, after about 10 months, are starting to pull apart between the legs. That's a good run compared to other brands I've tried lately.
    I've started to notice that as well, unfortunately.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

You mean a crotch blowout? Just curious, how often would you wear this particular pair of jeans?

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    You mean a crotch blowout? Just curious, how often would you wear this particular pair of jeans?
    LOL....not a big rip or anything. The fibers are starting to wear thin, almost to the point where you can see between them or through them but not yet. I wear them two or three days a week, normally.

Modern jeans are frustrating. Back in the day, a pair of jeans would last me for years! I can't even reach one year with them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I recently bought some Paige jeans from Nordstrom Rack, as they were also about 50% off of retail. I like them overall, but they are a bit soft for my preference. The color and fit and everything is nice.
    Just received mine today, extremely comfortable but as you say a bit stretchy/soft. They look good though but at full retail feel overpriced. Will keep them as I like the colour but prefer Diesel in terms of fit and feel.

Dependent

They look good though but at full retail feel overpriced.
    I would agree with this. I probably wouldn't pay more than $100 for another one. Hope you enjoy!

I have never tried Diesel jeans. Are they 100% cotton?

LOL....not a big rip or anything. The fibers are starting to wear thin, almost to the point where you can see between them or through them but not yet. I wear them two or three days a week, normally.

Modern jeans are frustrating. Back in the day, a pair of jeans would last me for years! I can't even reach one year with them anymore.
    Thanks for the reply. I think that could be due to the fabrics being used. Comfort and stretch are prioritised (at the expense of durability), and the BR jeans lean heavily towards being comfortable, so I am guessing maybe there is some sacrifice when it comes to durability. Some of the other brands seem to achieve both (relatively speaking). I have a pair of BR that I haven't worn a lot (except a trip to India and Thailand last year). I don't think I have worn it more than 25 times. I have a pair of G-Star that is just as comfortable and stretchy but the material is noticeably thicker. I would say washing / drying also plays a part. I always wash pretty much everything including jeans as delicate. Same when it comes to the dryer, and for some items I skip the dryer altogether. I have a few pairs from different brands, and my BR pair definitely has the thinnest fabric (I don't mind, it's very comfortable and I wear it when it isn't cold).

I would agree with this. I probably wouldn't pay more than $100 for another one. Hope you enjoy!

I have never tried Diesel jeans. Are they 100% cotton?
    For the most part, no. All mainstream/designer jeans brands have flex on all their items, so they would have at least 1% elastane (which is a good thing IMO). I think the exception would be raw denim.

Raw denim typically is 100% cotton (irrespective of the brand). The material also feels much more substantial than the softer denim such as Paige, Mavi or the BR being discussed. However, my practical problems with raw denim are that they aren't comfortable at all initially (especially if one has to sit down for long periods), and moreover they often bleed colour *for example at the collar and the tongue of my pair of Stan Smiths as you can see.

The last few pairs of Levis 527 I bought on Amazon were crap - hole in crotch after 3 washes, all were same size and style but fit differently, not the same quality I used to enjoy unfortunately.

I used to enjoy Diesel, True Religion, and Seven 7 jeans but then I gained a bunch of weight that I never lost and they don't make jeans my size.

Another gripe is the low rise jeans. I normally wear boot cut jeans but they all seem to have a low rise waist which unfortunately gives me plumbers crack. Are there any boot cut jeans that aren't low rise that are decent?
    Currently wearing: Sybaris by Antonio Puig

Just received mine today, extremely comfortable but as you say a bit stretchy/soft. They look good though but at full retail feel overpriced. Will keep them as I like the colour but prefer Diesel in terms of fit and feel.
    Same here, I also prefer Diesel for the fit is perfect.

I've been loving these high waisted rigid jeans from Reformation. I bought them in two colors, lol. Great for hourglass shaped, curvy girls If you like the style but prefer a stretchy denim, these will fit that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    The last few pairs of Levis 527 I bought on Amazon were crap - hole in crotch after 3 washes, all were same size and style but fit differently, not the same quality I used to enjoy unfortunately.

I used to enjoy Diesel, True Religion, and Seven 7 jeans but then I gained a bunch of weight that I never lost and they don't make jeans my size.

Another gripe is the low rise jeans. I normally wear boot cut jeans but they all seem to have a low rise waist which unfortunately gives me plumbers crack. Are there any boot cut jeans that aren't low rise that are decent?
    I know you had a problem with Levi’s, but have you tried the 501? The 501 is usually made with thicker fabric and it’s not low rise.
    I dont understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I know you had a problem with Levi’s, but have you tried the 501? The 501 is usually made with thicker fabric and it’s not low rise.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the 501 jeans are not very flattering on me.
    Currently wearing: Sybaris by Antonio Puig

Basenotes Plus

Simon Miller M001 2010 Raw Selvedge.
    "Do not believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
    Currently wearing: Lonestar Memories by Tauer

I've amassed about 30-40 pairs of jeans over the last 16 or so years that I've been somewhat of a selvedge denim enthusiast. My longtime favorites are my Eternal 811's which I think I started in maybe 2007. Though they were a straight fit, at one point I had them tapered and re-chainstitched by Williamsburg Garment Co in Brooklyn. I think some of my other longtime faves include two pairs of RRLs in Japanese selvedge from around '04. But they are both bootcut and I haven't really worn them in quite some years, but I find that particular vintage of RRL denim was absolutely top notch. I may finally pull them out again this year now that I think about it.

During the past several summers I've been wearing a pair of Stronghold lightweight selvedge jeans, they are essentially a chambray and super comfortable in the heat.

A few jeans that I very frequently wear in my current rotation are a pair of Unbranded UB401s, I really wore these in and which have shown some beautiful fades and I'm very impressed with for the price; a pair of Bravestar Slubverters IIs in 18oz (perfect for cold weather), and occasionally I still throw on my raw selvedge Levi 511s to kick around.
    Currently wearing: Missoni Wave by Missoni

Paul & Shark
    [color=blue] Top 5 : Penhaligons Racquets, Creed Orange Spice, Floris N89,. Augusto Mazzolari, Romeo Gigli Uomo/color]

I am more focused not on the jeans manufacturer, but on the quality of the fabric and the quality of the seams. I'm not chasing fashionable cuts, I always buy classic straight lines that are always in fashion. You can't keep up with fashion, and I'm not ready to spend extra money on unnecessary things. Of course, when choosing cosmetics and perfumes, the brand matters, but in everything else, it is situational.

Exclamation Moderator Message

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Thanks for the amazing insight!
    It was a spam post. In future, rather than replying to these people, please just report them to the mods in the usual way where we will be all too keen to send them back to where they came from

Dependent

I wanted to update this post. I've been wearing these Paige jeans quite often since I've purchased them. Unfortunately, they appear to have stretched in certain areas, and the crotch/ upper leg area looks rather saggy. I've never experienced this with jeans before, but these are probably the softest jeans I've owned. In the future, I think I'll buy something a bit stiffer. Has anyone else experienced this issue with stretchy denim?

I wanted to update this post. I've been wearing these Paige jeans quite often since I've purchased them. Unfortunately, they appear to have stretched in certain areas, and the crotch/ upper leg area looks rather saggy. I've never experienced this with jeans before, but these are probably the softest jeans I've owned. In the future, I think I'll buy something a bit stiffer. Has anyone else experienced this issue with stretchy denim?
    I have had this happen with Express jeans. They stretch and do not reshape after washing. Express jeans are junk.

Did you follow the washing/drying instructions? If so, this shouldn't happen.

Again, will recommend G-Star. Diesel is good, too. I never liked Paige (never owned any pair, only seen/tried out at stores).