Code of Conduct

Default Jasmine - EO or absolute, diluted or not?

Hi again,

very basic question, which I haven't found an answer to in the forum (probably too basic )
    I wanted to make a scent using jasmine and in online shops have stumbled on basically 3 things:

jasmine essential oil
    jasmine absolute diluted in alcohol (or oil)
    jasmine absolute undiluted

Now, which one is the best for a scent? I'll be mixing it only with other EOs and alcohol.
    I have a jasmine synthetic oil but it wasn't working well with EO's, so I wanted to try "the real thing".
    Thanks in advance for you answers.
    Kat

Default Re: Jasmine - EO or absolute, diluted or not?

I have never come across Jasmin Essential oil, only ever the absolute. So I would be suspicious of anything being called Jasmin Essential oil. We used to pay over 1500.00 per Kilo for Jasmin absolute ( Egyptian was slightly cheaper). You do not mention where you have found these products for sale, but if you do not want to waste your money you must make sure that your supplier is reputable.

If the Jasmin absolute is genuine, surely it is better to dilute it yourself rather than paying someone else to do it for you. Then you can dilute it to whatever strength you like, using whatever solvent you like.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    I have never come across Jasmin Essential oil, only ever the absolute. So I would be suspicious of anything being called Jasmin Essential oil. We used to pay over 1500.00 per Kilo for Jasmin absolute ( Egyptian was slightly cheaper). You do not mention where you have found these products for sale, but if you do not want to waste your money you must make sure that your supplier is reputable.
    Thank for you answer, David.
    I've ordered this thing:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Sala-Jasminoe...-/361910323651
    It says on the sticker:
    100% natural pure essential oil

You also find this one on (german) eBay:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/100-naturrein...AAAOSw~OVWxHRw
    Though I can't read it, so maybe it says "absolute" somewhere on the package (it's being sold by some as*h*le who couldn't think of any more relevant info than to write it's "new" )
    But coming back to "my" oil, what do you think it may be...??
    The shop I bought it from specializes in oils (essentials and synthetic), natural cosmetic products etc. and "Sala" is their own brand of oils... so I wouldn't expect them to sell mislabeled stuff... now I'm really confused, hope there will be more answers...

Hi again,
    in the meantime I have read this article:
    https://timnoonan.com.au/resources/h...atherapy/#uses
    So it's now clear to me there's no 3rd thing - either synthetic or absolute and the thing I ordered (and actually already payed for :/) must be one of those. I have sent a message to the seller asking what it really is and am quite curious to find out.... hope he gives some sensible answer.
    I've been so impatient with the purchase since I'm going for vacation in a week and wanted to get the oil before that.... yeah, haste is never good....

One more sub-question:
    Assumnig it's absolute, I'll have to dissolve it, right? Otherwise it'd be too strong for a tiny 10 ml perfume?

Cheers,
    Kat

I have no idea what this "oil" may be. Good luck with it. I love it when people buy blind.

I have no idea what this "oil" may be. Good luck with it. I love it when people buy blind.
    It's an absolute.
    I have sent another message meanwhile and it just disappeared.
    I asked the seller and his answer was that they label it as EO to make it easier for clients. Quite outrageous but apparently he's not alone in this practice.
    I've googled a bit and found even web pages about aromatherapy with articles that were confusing EO's with absolutes (as if the former was a type of the 1st).
    And of course no shortage of "jasmine essential oil" in various online shops, not only on eBay. So for a beginner not the easiest thing to figure out...

It's already 2nd time you're fuming at me for buying "blind" but please realize not everyone has the luxury of having an offline shop in their area (I'm also repeating myself here).

But well, thanks for your help. you pushed me in the right direction, otherwise I'd perhaps never realize that what I have is not a jasmine EO. Blissfully unaware client, just as the seller intended.
    K.

You get what you pay for! For absolutes and EOs you really only need WhiteLotus and EdenBotanicals. And for bulk orders talk to Christine at PerfumerSupplyHouse who can get stuff from the likes of Bontoux and Robertet in bulk.
    Currently wearing: V / Visa by Robert Piguet

Sorry if I gave the impression that I was "fuming". Maybe I was just being aggrieved on your behalf. It's your money after all.