Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Blind Buy Rampage

Basenotes, you have much to answer for.

But first, we need to go back 20 years or so, for some introductory material ...

My first proper cologne was Cool Water, bought for me by a girlfriend at around age 20. I'm pretty sure she stole the bottle back when we broke up. It certainly disappeared on me. I went mostly fragrance free for some time after that, before a different girl took me fragrance shopping and decided I was going to wear Joop!.

Joop! was it for nearly 10 years thereafter, although it wasn't something I wore with any particularly regularity to begin with. Eventually, I did start wearing it more often than not but, after many years I decided Joop! was not really my best option for an office environment (even though I had, by this stage, managed to develop some strong trigger discipline, and elicited barely a comment over the years).

In the preceding years, I'd come across Tommy Anti-Perspirant, which is awesome (although nearly impossible to find in Australia), so some brand recognition meant that I ended up trying Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Barts as my replacement, on a blind buy. That became my go-to, daily frangance for a number of years. Performance was pretty terrible, however, and I eventually decided against buying more. I still had a nearly full bottle of Joop! at the time, so I went back to that for a year-or-so, since I couldn't be bothered testing out alternatives.

Then, a few months ago, the Joop! was starting to run low, and I realised I needed to find a new, long-term, signature scent.

A quick google for something like "masculine cologne", and a few click-bait articles later, and I had ordered some Royal Copenhagen. Then, in the minutes and hours after placing my order, I read some slightly better reviews (probably stumbling across Basenotes for the first time at this point), and realised RC was not at all what I was looking for.

Back to Google! This time, I searched for "cologne women love" or something along those lines. I paid a bit more attention to higher quality reviews this time, and spent a bit more time on Basenotes, and ended up ordering Spice Bomb, 1 Million and Versace Eros.

After ordering, I continued reading reviews, and also started browsing random threads on Basenotes. This fragrance stuff is kind of interesting.

All four of my initial blind buys arrived. Royal Copenhagen got one spray to confirm that no, I do not want to smell like a barber shop, and was put away (and subsequently handed to a friend who didn't mind it).

1 Million -- I like the dry down, but the top notes are way too sweet and feminine for my liking. I tried it a couple times, and put it away.

Eros -- I don't mind this, and it will continue to see some use. Pleasant and inoffensive with disciplined application, but not particularly exciting.

Spice Bomb -- This is not too bad either. Not quite sure I see much room for it in amongst the better options I've found since, but it will get a bit of use when winter rolls around again.

However, none of these were really what I was after. It was time to start doing a bit more research. Should I perhaps stop blind buying stuff and actually test some samples? No, that's too much effort. But I seem to be developing a frag addition, and it must be fed. Back to the Basenote forums!

So, lets look for threads on Basenotes referring me to masculine scents, or anything with an interesting thread title. Suddenly, all sorts of intriguing things are popping up, and they're sounding a lot more like what I was actually after right from the start. A couple of months later, and my subsequent blind buys are:

• Bel Ami Vetiver
    • Antaeus
    • Dior Homme Parfum
    • Armani Encens Satin
    • Original A*Men
    • Aventus
    • Bogart pour Homme
    • Eau Sauvage
    • Equipage Geranium
    • Farenheit
    • St Johns Lime
    • Terre d'Hermes
    • Tom Ford Noir Extreme

Surprisingly enough, the only absolute disappointment since 1 Million is the Encens Satin, which for some reason smelled just like ... incense. I honestly hadn't considered it might be so close to the scent you get from just burning incense sticks. At least it wasn't the most expensive fragrance I bought

Nevertheless, despite a not-inconsiderable amount of money wasted on that one frag, I classify the experiment a success. I'm fairly happy with the collection I have at the moment, and the urge to make constant additional purchases has subsided somewhat. I think I'm most inclined towards smoky, leather scents, and the Bel Ami Vetiver is definitely my favourite, making an appearance twice a week since entering my wardrobe.

My collection will definitely continue to grow, however, and after I've come back and posted some thoughts on the other frags in my current collection, I might ask for some advice on where to go next. Or, just throw some at me now, if you want.

Default Re: Blind Buy Rampage

sorry, I dozed off..........

basically you blind bought Aventus amongst all those cheapies -- right? here we go again

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post

basically you blind bought Aventus amongst all those cheapies -- right? here we go again
    Other than the fact that you clearly found my post long and boring ... I have no idea what you're implying. Care to enlighten me?

Hi and welcome!

Thanks for the introduction - and hopefully you´ll read, post and learn for a long time to come

You´ve already got a nice wardrobe consisting of both old and new classics! If you want to continue to expand your collection in the same direction I´d recommend Third Man and Pour un Homme by Caron, Pour Monsieur and Egoiste by Chanel and Mouchoir de Monsieur and Habit Rouge by Guerlain.

If you´re adventurous I urge you to try Mitsouko (Guerlain), Cuir de Russie (Chanel) and Dioressence (Dior). They´re classics too, but marketed as female fragrances, although worn by a lot of men here.

You could also try Amouage, they have a lot of opulent fragrances in both the male and female line. My favs are Memoir Man and Jubilation 25 (not XXV).

Good luck!
    Last edited by pelle; 6th October 2017 at 01:00 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    Hi and welcome!

Thanks for the introduction - and hopefully you´ll read, post and learn for a long time to come
    Quite sure he's learned something already.

Common Lackey

Aw, c'mon Kaern -- he's started with some good stuff in there, not just cheapies: Eau Sauvage, Fahrenheit, BA Vetiver. Don't be such a grump!

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    and Jubilation 25 (not XXV).
    This made me laugh -- the interminable drydown on that XXV will make you feel like you're in Groundhog Day!

Welcome to you, PhilX! You're doing good, that's a nice wardrobe you've accumulated. Next you'll get hooked on some vintage and niche, and there will be no turning back.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Bel Ami Vetiver is nice.

For a blind buy selection, quite a few impressive choices here

What makes me grumpy are one post wonders who shill for Creed (usually)

I've been digging them out for years -- their posts seem quite obvious to me.

Usually a long boring old bollocks story that circumvents Creed for as long as possible, then sticks Aventus or GIT in right at the end.

If the OP is genuine, I apologise of course, but I have my doubts

Usually a long boring old bollocks story that circumvents Creed for as long as possible, then sticks Aventus or GIT in right at the end.

Well, for the record, I found the Aventus pleasant, but not really worth what I paid for it. Didn't get any hint of smokiness, and didn't seem to have great longevity. I've only worn it once, other than an initial test spray on my arm when I first opened it, so I'll certainly give it some more time before passing judgement, but for the moment my opinion is thoroughly on the fence.

Also, the Encens Satin was about the same price as the Aventus, as I recall.

huh? Out of a several hundred word post, he mentioned Aventus exactly once. It was just in a list of 13 things he blind bought. Zero comments about it. And that is a Creed shill to you? Very strange.

Anyway, welcome Phil. Much like you, I went on a blind-buying rampage when I joined here. However, it took me several years to start slowing down.

As far as where to go next, I would suggest you try out Heeley and by Kilian houses.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Next you'll get hooked on some vintage and niche, and there will be no turning back.
    Well, technically, I think that the small amount of Joop! I have left counts as vintage.

If you're looking for something very different, try Hermes Rocabar.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilX View Post

My collection will definitely continue to grow
    That's the fun part.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I second the reco for Eoiste and add Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee, Aramis Tuscany and Creed GIT. I think you would enjoy those as additions to your current wardrobe and past fragrances used/likes.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    huh? Out of a several hundred word post, he mentioned Aventus exactly once. It was just in a list of 13 things he blind bought. Zero comments about it. And that is a Creed shill to you? Very strange.
    It's there though so it is a start and it doesn't exactly fit in with the pricepoints of the others.

the subsequent posts would have been interesting If I hadn't shown my hand

It's there though so it is a start and it doesn't exactly fit in with the pricepoints of the others.

the subsequent posts would have been interesting If I hadn't shown my hand
    Yes, clearly I am hiding my true intentions because you found me out. And the focus on Aventus in the thread so far has nothing at all to do with you.

Yes, clearly I am hiding my true intentions because you found me out.
    Thanks for the confirmation

Thanks for the confirmation
    Righto. So, when you said that you would apologise if your crazy conspiracy-theory turned out to be incorrect, what you meant was that even if I come out and state matter-of-factly that I'm not particularly impressed with Aventus, you will invent ever more complex and ludicrous conspiracy theories about my true intentions in an effort not not have admit you were wrong. Have fun with that.

Sillage Monster

To Kaern's point, I've noticed the technique of disingenuous Aventus name dropping numerous times as well. It's hard to say if it applies in this instance.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Campagne by Sisley

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    To Kaern's point, I've noticed the technique of disingenuous Aventus name dropping numerous times as well. It's hard to say if it applies in this instance.
    I don't think I've followed enough similar posts to have a valid opinion on that, but....

Have you been keeping a file, Kaern? If not, this might be a good time to start -- the PhilX-Files.

Basenotes, you have much to answer for.
    Hello PhilX, Welcome to Basenotes.

You have a nice growing collection there. You should give Creed's Green Irish Tweed a try. I think you will enjoy that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Let's suppose, for a moment, that merely mentioning the word "Aventus" is, in truth, part of some massive conspiracy to insert the thought of this products marvellous perfection into the subconscious of weak-willed Basenotes forumites.

Why then, are you are Kaern choosing to draw more attention to this all powerful word and enhancing it's grip on so many unfortunate and easily-manipulated people?

Quote Originally Posted by Airegin View Post
    If you're looking for something very different, try Hermes Rocabar.
    I was actually looking at that the other day, since I'm a massive fan of Bel Ami Vetiver and pretty happy with Tere d'Hermes as well. Didn't sound like it would be my thing, though. If the Equipage Geranium works for me (I haven't actually tried it yet) I might have to get my hands on a sample of Rocobar, though, because Hermes will be 3-from-3 at that point.

Random cheap frag
    Aventus
    Random cheap frag
    Random cheap frag
    Oooh, fear the power of the word.

Righto. So, when you said that you would apologise if your crazy conspiracy-theory turned out to be incorrect, what you meant was that even if I come out and state matter-of-factly that I'm not particularly impressed with Aventus, you will invent ever more complex and ludicrous conspiracy theories about my true intentions in an effort not not have admit you were wrong. Have fun with that.
    To be fair -- you are backed into a corner aren't you -- what else you gonna do? Wax lyrical about Aventus?

Don't worry, you (or someone else) can try again with a new thread later

I think I'm most inclined towards smoky, leather scents....
    If Kaern is correct I wonder if, in time, the 'leather' in this description might have been dropped & possibly replaced with something else...?

Sorry...feeling mischievous & couldn't resist...!
    Last edited by Davem81; 6th October 2017 at 03:26 PM.

Funky fresh

This thread is hilarious. Is it an Aventus thread if the main topic is whether or not the thread will be about Aventus?

Anyway, that's a nice crop of initial buys OP, and it sounds like you're enjoying the research process! Welcome!

Oh, as for advice, you might look into a full on vetiver to accompany Bel Ami Vetiver, such as Guerlain Vetiver, Lubin Itasca, Sycomore, or Carven Le Vetiver. (Disclosure: I am a vetiver lover, and therefore biased).
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 6th October 2017 at 06:34 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Yendi by Roberto Capucci

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Have you been keeping a file, Kaern? If not, this might be a good time to start -- the PhilX-Files.
    No point -- he'll come back with a new name, Cook.bot

Martinjo and I have spotted loads of Creed shills in the past --

he's wriggling even more on the hook now

Basenotes Institution

Nice collection so far. Welcome aboard.

This stupidity has gone on long enough. I'm ready for your apology now.

DSC_0001.jpg

This stupidity has gone on long enough. I'm ready for your apology now.

DSC_0001.jpg
    just having a bit of fun Phil -- what's the problem ?