Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Royal Oud - An appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    What are you calling me a liar? I own two bottles of 2010 Royal Oud and I'm happy to take a picture of either/both. Batch code is A4310K01. I was first introduced to it by Opiate, who very kindly gave me a little decant when there was a hiccup with a transaction we had agreed to and I mentioned that I loved Royal Oud.
    This is actually my batch too...I thought the “4” at the front of the batch was a 1 and then followed by a 3 making “13”, but it’s a 4. The batch code is etched into the bottom lip on the back of the bottle and is impossible to photo (almost impossible to make out), but the numbers and letters match up exactly to yours. I was excited when I bought it knowing it was vintage, but to learn that it’s likely a 2010, early early batch is even better.

Basenotes Plus

I need to get another bottle of Royal Oud soon. Any ideas on where I can get my hands on 16L01 or something comparable?

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    I need to get another bottle of Royal Oud soon. Any ideas on where I can get my hands on 16L01 or something comparable?
    If you're willing to do the due diligence, it can be found on Ebay or on some of the FB frag groups. I happened to snag a 50ml bottle of 16L off of Ebay a few months ago. As I've stated above, I'm finding my two older bottles to be sufficiently different (and better) than a recent decant I own from 2018/2019.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    16L01 is the batch I have. Glad to own a 4oz bottle of it. One of my top 5 of all time!!

Basenotes Junkie

Which batches/years have the most of that sharp top note? I have a 2011 bottle, and it's nice and deep, but it doesn't have the "pop" of the top notes of an official creed sample I had. Is it 2016 on?

Quote Originally Posted by mustardsalad View Post
    Which batches/years have the most of that sharp top note? I have a 2011 bottle, and it's nice and deep, but it doesn't have the "pop" of the top notes of an official creed sample I had. Is it 2016 on?
    You might like 2018/2019 bottles. I have a few decants from around then (unsure of specifics) and it's noticeably brighter than my 2011 and my 2016. Personally, I don't like it as much but you might like it.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    You might like 2018/2019 bottles. I have a few decants from around then (unsure of specifics) and it's noticeably brighter than my 2011 and my 2016. Personally, I don't like it as much but you might like it.
    Thanks, that gives me a place to look!

Basenotes Plus

Wearing Royal Oud today. I keep forgetting just how much BETTER this is off of skin vs the scent from the nozzle. Gorgeous fragrance. Absolutely enjoying it today.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Wearing Royal Oud today. I keep forgetting just how much BETTER this is off of skin vs the scent from the nozzle. Gorgeous fragrance. Absolutely enjoying it today.
    That drydown though! so so awesome

That insanity of establishing respectively proposing the chase for preliminary production specimens to be sensible though.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xaml View Post
    That insanity of establishing respectively proposing the chase for preliminary production specimens to be sensible though.
    I'm also going start choosing random word suggestions on my phone's keyboard to make sick burns!
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

"Sir, you're having a stroke."
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

Best description of Royal Oud so far. I'm thinking the same thing, just that it was hard for me to put it into words. Bravo!

could be the best from CREED
    Currently for Sale: DHP, FM Promise/ Night/ Dans Tes Bras, Black Orchid Parfum, Le Lion, Le Frenchy, Tobacco mandarin, Kalan, Thameen and more

Bottle Sale thread: Click here

Decants thread: Click Here

I just snagged a 120ml tester of 16L01 as my 50ml bottle is close to gone and I use my 2011 bottle sparingly. It's become my most-worn over the last few months. It's the perfect blend of rich, dry, and masculine to my nose at the moment. As far as older batches go, 16L remains a pretty common batch. I highly recommend the FB groups as the asking price on Ebay is now 300+. Of the newer stuff (2018+), I'm not as big of a fan. It's a lot lighter and has an odd, nutty accord in it - to my nose, anyway.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

I have 2 bottles of 16' Royal Oud.

Recently acquired was a 120ml bottle of 16A01.
    Currently wearing: Kuwait by Roja Dove

I am still not a fan. I’ve owned both older and tried newer bottles and neither satisfy.

I have to say the opening is quite wonderful, but it’s a shame this dries down to such a disappointing white musk-like accord which to me screams “powder”. After that wonderful opening, it’s such an anti-climax.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I am still not a fan. I’ve owned both older and tried newer bottles and neither satisfy.

I have to say the opening is quite wonderful, but it’s a shame this dries down to such a disappointing white musk-like accord which to me screams “powder”. After that wonderful opening, it’s such an anti-climax.
    Me too, it's just like Viking; great opening, disappointing dry-down.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by eqbal View Post
    Me too, it's just like Viking; great opening, disappointing dry-down.
    Actually I find the opposite is true with Viking. But that isn't relevant to this thread, so I'll be quiet now.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Actually I find the opposite is true with Viking. But that isn't relevant to this thread, so I'll be quiet now.
    I can agree with this, though I'm not quite as disappointed in the drydown. (also share your same opinion of Viking's opening vs. drydown)
    Last edited by Danny Mitchell; 29th July 2021 at 06:09 PM.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

The first time i sniffed royal oud i was stopped dead in my tracks and it blew me away. I just cant shake that feeling ofmy first sniff. Amazing juice imo.
    my top 10:
    Creed Royal Oud
    Ck One Shock
    D&C Pour Homme
    Kilian Light My Fire
    M. Micallef Emir
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Guerlain Lhomme Ideal Intense
    Slumberhouse Ore
    Maison Margiela By The Fireplace
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Annick goutal Ninfeo Mio
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by gucciguccigoo View Post
    The first time i sniffed royal oud i was stopped dead in my tracks and it blew me away. I just cant shake that feeling ofmy first sniff. Amazing juice imo.
    Agreed. When I first smelled RO it was like an awakening. "Cologne can smell THIS good?!?"

And throughout my fragrance journey, and all the other stuff I own, Royal Oud remains my most worn. Its 5 star juice in every way IMO

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    I just snagged a 120ml tester of 16L01 as my 50ml bottle is close to gone and I use my 2011 bottle sparingly. It's become my most-worn over the last few months. It's the perfect blend of rich, dry, and masculine to my nose at the moment. As far as older batches go, 16L remains a pretty common batch. I highly recommend the FB groups as the asking price on Ebay is now 300+. Of the newer stuff (2018+), I'm not as big of a fan. It's a lot lighter and has an odd, nutty accord in it - to my nose, anyway.
    Any thoughts on the 2014 batches? Or how do they compare to the 2011 and 2016 ones?

Quote Originally Posted by gucciguccigoo View Post
    Same here. One of the first $200+ niche scents I ever smelled, and it was a whole new world. I actually love the dry down of this one, creamy smooth sandalwood and ambergris to my nose. Very classy woodsy skin scent at that point. I also love the angelica in this, which is an under appreciated aspect of the opening especially, alongside the pepper.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7