Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: ensar oud: worth for it?

Quote Originally Posted by kswer View Post
    Really? Maybe you can translate because I don’t understand the point. The last sentence he says “some oils are really Ouds”. What does that mean? Is my Sri Lankan not an Oud because it doesn’t come from the Indian mainland and isn’t barnyard? Please enlighten me.
    https://translate.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wT
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    Hmmm I tried the link but it wasn't really that helpful
    So my translation of "some oils are really Ouds, a few are of top quality Ouds, and one or two are 'Oud as such'."
    is simply that some are good oils, some are excellent oils and some are the absolute best.

Saw this old thread pop up to life. In case anyone missed it, a new interview with Ensar and extensive oil reviews at the end was just posted here about a month and a half ago: http://www.basenotes.net/features/36...r-of-ensar-oud
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Regent Leather by Thameen

Community Manager

Two posts have been deleted. Try to be more polite.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by joe king View Post
    Hmmm I tried the link but it wasn't really that helpful
    So my translation of "some oils are really Ouds, a few are of top quality Ouds, and one or two are 'Oud as such'."
    is simply that some are good oils, some are excellent oils and some are the absolute best.
    Thank you, Joe. I really 'simply' said what you got from my post.

- - - Updated - - -

Worth each and every penny Ensar is the king in oud oils i must say.

Do you still stand with this comment? it looks like your opinion on Ensar has changed drastically, the original comment is almost cringe now

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by exoticscents View Post
    Ensar is the best. This is objective. His Ouds are equal in price to others and incomparable in quality. Synthetic Oud blends are overpriced !
    Do you still stand with this comment? it looks like your opinion on Ensar has changed drastically, the original comment is almost cringe now

I find it hard to trust Ensar's products. I have no doubt his ouds are ouds, but whenever someone can always bring to the market something new, bigger, better, rarer, and downright royal with his newest mixture -- I just think it doesn't add up. That's just me I've seen this too many times. I just have to ask myself is Ensar the most fortunate person to ever live, or is something not right?

And products sold as "kinam" this and "kyara" that are just names not actual kinam or kyara used in the oils. My take is this. If you buy something from this guy he will certainly get some thing that is authentic agarwood oil. The "best in the world and the last of the last that only we at Ensar oud can find" is (obviously I think) utter nonsense. So you won't get that. I see this vendor as being good in terms of being low risk but not good in terms of value or direct non-aggrandized product descriptions. There are many other vendors you offer oils at least their quality or higher for lower prices but you have to shop around a little bit and that is risky. Going for the big flashy name is nice and easy and you'll definitely get some oud. The Fan Boi club is hilarious though... and lacking self awareness it seems.

No, not worth it to me. I have serious issues with Ensar Oud's business practices and customer service. The fragrances/oils themselves range from amazing to mediocre in my opinion, but rarely worth the price you pay (IMHO, of course).
    Last edited by Jcelello; 18th March 2021 at 11:53 PM.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I’ve been pleased with some, and underwhelmed by a few others. I’ll continue to be involved, but a bit cautiously.

I think just have reasonable expectations. Lots and lots of great "artisanal" (whatever you call It) vendors with oud that ranges from mediocre to excellent. Plantations are REALLY improving - huge improvement in price and availability of quality wood and oils. Plenty of folks looking to charge the same or higher prices, but many charging less and approaching selling with absolute integrity and care. Imperial Oud, Habzoud, Olefaktory, Al Shareef, Grandawood to name a few. Don't be suckered by marketing and the myth that only one guy has this all figured out. I was buying pure oud from Ajmal and even some US resellers back when oriscent was an eBay business selling weird low grade oud mixed with carrier oils and thinking it was pure.

Now there are people ACTUALLY distilling cultivated kinam, not just calling every top oil kinam this or kyara that.

So my point? Shop around. Ensar has real oud. So do lots of other people. There are small vendors really pushing the boundaries of price and quality, people truly distilling and supervising their own distillations (as opposed to commissioning). A very exciting time to be collecting oud let me tell you. With cultivated kinam becoming more widespread I feel like the best is yet to come.

Blog Entries

Personally, I've found pretty much all USA hotshot vendors to be based on creating hype first and foremost. Quality might be there, but you are not a passionate artisan if you have to hype yourself or your product up. There are tidbits of EO that I've seen over the years, and the insinuation was he is doing a huge part in saving a dying art form. For me, that was snake oil, more than oud oil. Even for western audience, there are non-hype based options available. ASAQ higher grade oils, for example, are better value dollar for dollar - sans the hype and superman saving the world story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Personally, I've found pretty much all USA hotshot vendors to be based on creating hype first and foremost. Quality might be there, but you are not a passionate artisan if you have to hype yourself or your product up. There are tidbits of EO that I've seen over the years, and the insinuation was he is doing a huge part in saving a dying art form. For me, that was snake oil, more than oud oil. Even for western audience, there are non-hype based options available. ASAQ higher grade oils, for example, are better value dollar for dollar - sans the hype and superman saving the world story.
    ASAQ indeed is a good value, at times.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Checked the ASAQ website and didn't see any oud oils only perfume oils. Did they previously sell pure oud oil?

Checked the ASAQ website and didn't see any oud oils only perfume oils. Did they previously sell pure oud oil?
    They still do. I wonder why they are not on their website. Their mukhallats smell great and are affordable.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

You probably checked the US site. Saudi site still lists plenty of oud. They've been selling "aged" kalakasi long before EO even heard of the term Oud:

Oud - Perfume, Oil, Burner & More KSA | Abdul Samad Al Qurashi (asqgrp.com)

- - - Updated - - -

My point was, 50+ years aged high grade oud oils can be had for less than, or about the same price, these cultists are demanding from their fanboys. There is no way EO is anywhere worth 120 years aged kalakasi, even with his hype machine and superman suit. The three developed into a cult, whereas two others didn't make make it into a cult.

You probably checked the US site. Saudi site still lists plenty of oud. They've been selling "aged" kalakasi long before EO even heard of the term Oud:

- - - Updated - - -

My point was, 50+ years aged high grade oud oils can be had for less than, or about the same price, these cultists are demanding from their fanboys. There is no way EO is anywhere worth 120 years aged kalakasi, even with his hype machine and superman suit. The three developed into a cult, whereas two others didn't make make it into a cult.
    Haven't tried any of their products and not a fan of ensars hype but not sure I believe their story... 50 year old kyara oil for under 200usd seems too good to be true.https://store.asqgrp.com/sa_en/kyara-aoud-oil.html

- - - Updated - - -

I remembering purchasing some fine ouds from their stores in the Middle East almost 2 decades ago. They've always been on point, the oud market is vast now with plenty of sellers from the far east too.

Blog Entries

Haven't tried any of their products and not a fan of ensars hype but not sure I believe their story... 50 year old kyara oil for under 200usd seems too good to be true.https://store.asqgrp.com/sa_en/kyara-aoud-oil.html
    I don't know about their Kyara, but Kalakasi does smell out of this world. I have seen the number of years go up, so they are either keeping up with the marketing(highly doubt that part as marketing itself has turned into a business form only in the West), or are keeping up with the age. When you look at the prices, you have to keep in mind that the prices you see are after the Oud bandwagon explosion in the west, and from the only sources that are informing the western crowd of the prices. ASAQ, or really any established name in Arabia, is neither a con artist like EO, nor an obsessively for profit corporation that has to show every increasing profits quarter after quarter to their stock market cabal. I have no doubt in my mind their prices will triple for the exact same stock if they find a footing in USA.

How do you determine which of their products are pure oud oil (if any)?
    I am reading the descriptions and most if not all of their products listed under oud oil are described as perfume oil or concentrated oil and perfume.
    Some mention having sandalwood added, others wood essence mixed with aoud oil.
    All seems a bit vague as to how much real oud is used. I am not questioning how they smell but how pure they are.
    Oud Malaccensis oil for example says "Oud oil with some drops of sandalwood. Royal fragrance with the finest types of Indonesian oud. This special Aquilaria tree is found in several Asian countries with very hard terrain, making it hard to reach. Boosts your strengths and abilities and increase your self-confidence with this fragrance. Concentrated Oil & Perfume Spray."

edit: by the way "boosts your strengths and abilities" sounds like marketing hype to me

Blog Entries

How do you determine which of their products are pure oud oil (if any)?
    I am reading the descriptions and most if not all of their products listed under oud oil are described as perfume oil or concentrated oil and perfume.
    Some mention having sandalwood added, others wood essence mixed with aoud oil.
    All seems a bit vague as to how much real oud is used. I am not questioning how they smell but how pure they are.
    Oud Malaccensis oil for example says "Oud oil with some drops of sandalwood. Royal fragrance with the finest types of Indonesian oud. This special Aquilaria tree is found in several Asian countries with very hard terrain, making it hard to reach. Boosts your strengths and abilities and increase your self-confidence with this fragrance. Concentrated Oil & Perfume Spray."

edit: by the way "boosts your strengths and abilities" sounds like marketing hype to me

Are you expecting "pure oud oil" by reading through some pathetic translation from arabic for 6ml for $50 of all the options listed on there? The website itself is a pathetic attempt of going english. Keep up with the fanboy club, or investigate other options further with the help of some local resources who speak the language and can engage with the outlets.

I am not sure what you mean by "fanboy club" is that an attempted insult? I have no affiliation with any club or brand nor am I here to recommend any!
    You have made some assertions about ASAQ and I was researching them and asking questions and posting my observations.
    And do you seriously expect me to vet some middle eastern locals ? If they are trying to sell to English speaking people and can't go to the effort of properly translating why would I try to find out some other truth...

Blog Entries

I am not sure what you mean by "fanboy club" is that an attempted insult? I have no affiliation with any club or brand nor am I here to recommend any!
    You have made some assertions about ASAQ and I was researching them and asking questions and posting my observations.
    And do you seriously expect me to vet some middle eastern locals ? If they are trying to sell to English speaking people and can't go to the effort of properly translating why would I try to find out some other truth...
    Nobody is trying to sell anything to english speaking people, and that is the whole point. The world is out there for true aficionados to explore sans the hoopla. There is a whole world of Oud that has been out there, before someone selling $9.99 cheap mixes that get passed around from attendee to attendee at mosques before prayers on Ebay, reinvented himself into a superman putting himself through the dangers of drug cartels and human trafficking only to bring the best oil out to the english speaking public that nobody else in the world has access to. If that is the only criteria, then superman, and two dude-bros duo with 3 different clubs are the only truth tellers and snake oil salesmen rolled in one, until someone else comes along and plays a better game than them. The world of Oud would keep on existing in parallel.

And you are not really "researching" if you're going to nitprick some tidbits of a under $10/ml oil asking how "pure oud" the oil might be. You can't even get grade III oil for that price. But "research" on.

And you are not really "researching" if you're going to nitprick some tidbits of a under $10/ml oil asking how "pure oud" the oil might be. You can't even get grade III oil for that price. But "research" on.
    If I follow your logic that the price determines the purity and quality then Ensar is the King !
    The $10/ml oil and $100/ml Kalakassi oil are both listed as perfume oil not pure oud oil, at least Ensar sells pure oud oil.
    I agree there are too many snake oil salesmen , just not sure we all know who is who...

Blog Entries

If I follow your logic that the price determines the purity and quality then Ensar is the King !
    The $10/ml oil and $100/ml Kalakassi oil are both listed as perfume oil not pure oud oil, at least Ensar sells pure oud oil.
    I agree there are too many snake oil salesmen , just not sure we all know who is who...
    There is absolutely no logic to follow, by declaring Kinam on sale for half the initial price in a local market that is not as obsessed with pure Oud oil as the cultural appropriating cabal in the West is, is too good to be true, and then turning around and saying hey lookie, can this 6ml for under $50 really be "pure Oud".

Who amongst the purveyors to the english speaking public have you deemed "there are too many snake oil salesman"? There are only a few other than the superman and dubebros duo. Maybe a few in fareast who saw the bandwagon and are trying to latch on via Ebay. Maybe the I-will-print-you-a-100%-pure-oil-lab-certificate-from-my-printer dude. Who else? The oud market existed long before the advent of these who are informing the sensibilities of english speaking crowd. When it comes to snake oil, a family business established for decades long before Oud bandwagon started with dozens of outlets, has a whole lot more to loose by getting cute, than a $9.99 cheap mix selling reinvented superman who can provide a youtube video to his fanboys, or the dudebro duo doing the same. There is absolutely no skin in the game for one party. The decades old established businesses with expensive real estate or rented spaces to set themselves up have skin in the game.

I’m gonna see superman, dudebros, and snakeoil flashing before my eyes as I’m trying to sleep tonight

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    I’m gonna see superman, dudebros, and snakeoil flashing before my eyes as I’m trying to sleep tonight
    LOL! Glad I could provide some imagery

There are certainly some great vendors out there that have been doing Oud for a long time. Of the family owned variety, Al Shareef Oudh is my favorite. Oudbase has some nice offerings at the moment, as well as LMK and IO. Agar Aura is currently my top-of-the mountain distiller, I just really like how specific Taha’s approach is in how he distills his oils with certain qualities in mind. There are quite a few great distillers out there who fly under the radar and don’t have a web shop or anything, Like Ali who does green Silani in Sri Lanka. Yuzhi Oud has a massive operation in China, focusing on Hainan oils. (I actually do have a few Ajmal, ASAQ and AO ouds and blends that are quite lovely, even if they are somewhat more “mass produced”—- I believe there is something to be said for having a deep history with a fragrant material and its traditions).

But of course, I think Ensar works with some truly wonderful distillers and Oud hunters and has really grown quite a name & business in the world of Oud. A few of his oils are legendary for good reason: Nha Trang LTD, Kyara LTD, Oud Ahmad. Pretty undeniably great stuff. The price is quite outrageous but the oils are beautiful.

Dependent

But of course, I think Ensar works with some truly wonderful distillers and Oud hunters and has really grown quite a name & business in the world of Oud. A few of his oils are legendary for good reason: Nha Trang LTD, Kyara LTD, Oud Ahmad. Pretty undeniably great stuff. The price is quite outrageous but the oils are beautiful.[/QUOTE]

I think you touched on a great point here that many are missing. The distillers that Ensar employs are often legends in their field and masters of their craft who need people like Ensar to buy their product so they can make a living too. It’s often FAR overlooked in the Oud world where consumers assume the vendors are solely responsible for everything but I can’t imagine Ensar without his team and the wonderful people behind the scenes who help bring it all together.
    Currently wearing: Lustre by Hiram Green