Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: You favorite Hermes fragrance and why?

To answer the thread question, hard for me to pick a favourite. I like most things from Hermes, they have an understated elegance that I have come to appreciate over the years. Their compositions are for the most part complex, refined, abstract and smell good. In particular I like these very much -

Epice Marine
    Vetiver Tonka
    Cuir d'Ange
    Ambre Narguile
    Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Bel Ami Vetiver
    Equipage Geranium
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    September Rotation

Cuir d'Ange / Etruscan Water / Carnal Flower / Bel Ami Vetiver / Vetiver Extraordinaire / Christopher Street
    Caron Third Man / Baie de Genievre / Cuiron / Rive Gauche pour Homme / Bois d'Armenie / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Nanban by Arquiste

Eau d'Hermes
    Bel Ami
    Terre d'Hermes
    Equipage

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Eau d'Hermes - by far, because it's a masterpiece by Roudnitska, that englobes most of what I'm looking for in a fragrance: spices, citrus and leather, that will give an elegant presence, but keeping things airy, never cloying. Timeless.
    ^^ This, for those reasons. Except I don't think 'englobes' is an actual word.

Also: Osmanthe Yunnan, because it smells like a living osmanthus tree.

Despite their wide variety, there's a kind of 'house ethic' to Hermes scents, but not in the way that Guerlains share their common bases, or the way Chanels have their abstract florals and sandalwood foundations. With Hermes, its like the scents all behave within an agreed-upon set of boundaries. No Hermes scent ever shouts at you.
    Let everything happen to you: beauty and terror.
    Just keep going. No feeling is final.

--Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post

Despite their wide variety, there's a kind of 'house ethic' to Hermes scents, but not in the way that Guerlains share their common bases, or the way Chanels have their abstract florals and sandalwood foundations. With Hermes, its like the scents all behave within an agreed-upon set of boundaries. No Hermes scent ever shouts at you.
    I'd agree with this. Even Bel Ami is subdued.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post

Agreed. Hermes scents are all well-behaved, but clearly present. It is well known that the most important person in a room is the one who talks the least!

Also: yes, 'to englobe' exists, look HERE.
    Currently wearing: B-612 by Nishane

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Epice Marine
    Epice Marine is often said to be the high-end version of Declaration... which is often said to be an homage to Eau d'Hermes... you HAVE to try Eau d'Hermes if you love Epice Marine!!

Vintage Amazone is my favourite. Then vintage Bel Ami and Rocabar

Quote Originally Posted by Russlan View Post
    Vintage Amazone is my favourite. Then vintage Bel Ami and Rocabar
    I've looked at Amazone no later than today. Is it great? Wearable by a man?

Everything about Bel Ami is superb!

Best Regards.

Terre d'Hermes EDT & Parfum. Both still pretty good - the touch of 'flint' with the citrus was an original touch . . . nothing like it out there, really.

Vetiver Tonka - I always have a small bottle with me when I fly (which hasn't been much this last 18 months. It's a comfort scent, also good in winter.

Osmanthe Yunnan. I like Osmanthus and this one is a good rendition along with the slightly smoky tea note.

Ambre Narguille - a fun Christmas scent for me (along with Lutens Arabie).
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Concentre D'Orange Verte

Santal Massoia -- gorgeous creamy wet sandalwood

TdH (parfum version)
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Eau d'Hermes - by far, because it's a masterpiece by Roudnitska, that englobes most of what I'm looking for in a fragrance: spices, citrus and leather, that will give an elegant presence, but keeping things airy, never cloying. Timeless.
    Wholeheartedly agree

Bel Ami for me by a country mile. Love how versatile and masculine this is. Birch tar and leathery/chypre, with the added freshness in the opening.

Terre d' Hermes has a special place in my heart too for sentimental reasons so that deserves a mention.

Equipage cause is pure silky boisé perfection.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Equipage cause is pure silky boisé perfection.
    This is my runner-up, just after Eau d'Hermes.

Epice Marine is often said to be the high-end version of Declaration... which is often said to be an homage to Eau d'Hermes... you HAVE to try Eau d'Hermes if you love Epice Marine!!
    Not really (regarding 'high-end' version). It's a slightly different idea, where the woody notes of Declaration are toned down so that the spices are in full view, and an interesting vague aquatic note added. My description makes it sound much less exciting than it is. It's an amazing scent in cold weather.

I've tried Eau d'Hermes and liked it a lot. I've had it twice. Once I had a current bottle around 2015 that I parted with as I was moving. Later I had a vintage 'copper top' in 2017 that I also parted with, as I marginally preferred the 2015 version (clear cap).

Eau d'Hermes is the most fertile idea in the history of perfumery. Bel Ami (+flankers), Declaration (+flankers), Terre d'Hermes(+flankers), Bigarade Concentree, Fetish pour Homme, Puredistance M, Epice Marine, Anatole Lebron Grimoire, Miller Harris La Fumee and to an extent Francesca Bianchi's Etruscan Water are all linked directly to that accord of citrus and cumin.
    September Rotation

Cuir d'Ange / Etruscan Water / Carnal Flower / Bel Ami Vetiver / Vetiver Extraordinaire / Christopher Street
    Caron Third Man / Baie de Genievre / Cuiron / Rive Gauche pour Homme / Bois d'Armenie / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Eau d'Hermes is the most fertile idea in the history of perfumery.
    Debatable, but I take your point.

And yet, Eau d'Hermes is not a big seller for Hermes, nor something you frequently encounter in the wild. But clearly Hermes recognizes what a historical milestone it is for them, since they're always issuing commemorative bottles and engraved limited editions to celebrate its history. Which is more than almost any other house can say.
    Let everything happen to you: beauty and terror.
    Just keep going. No feeling is final.

--Rainer Maria Rilke

I don’t think you’ll find it wearable for a man Andy, but it’s definitely worth a try. And try Rose Amazone too (if I’m not mistaken you like roses, right?).
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Terre d'Hermes EDT & Parfum. Both still pretty good - the touch of 'flint' with the citrus was an original touch . . . nothing like it out there, really.

Vetiver Tonka - I always have a small bottle with me when I fly (which hasn't been much this last 18 months. It's a comfort scent, also good in winter.

Osmanthe Yunnan. I like Osmanthus and this one is a good rendition along with the slightly smoky tea note.

Ambre Narguille - a fun Christmas scent for me (along with Lutens Arabie).
    You’re back! You should come here more often Sir.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

I wish I could find some Galop d’Hermès to try. Sounds good.

I don't know the current, I only have a vintage release and it is a beautifully dry grassy-green chypre with a huge oakmoss presence. More masculine than your typical current masculines or that Arabian oudy-rosy stuff. Try the vintage Amazone someday and see for yourself

Terre d'Hermes Parfum - clean, natural, best woods and vetiver combo around.
    Concentree d'Orange Verte - so versatile and just smells great.
    Voyage d' Hermes - air cleaned by ocean spray.
    August 2021: • mr. burberry indigo • strangers yuzu soda • bigarade concentree • afternoon swim • epice marine • iridescent sky • burberry indigo • frapin orchid man • eau radieuse humecki & graef • geranium pour monsieur • l'eau mixte nicolai • vuitton orage • molecule 01+patchouli • vilhelm morning chess • initio rehab • m/mink • agarwoud • dirty grass

Hermes Bel Ami - It was a well made creation of its time.

My nose can't stand Eau d'Hermes at all.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

It really is good! When I discovered it I was surprised that almost no one talks about it! Since then a few youtube reviews have come out, but still feels massively slept on.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I wish I could find some Galop d’Hermès to try. Sounds good.
    "Artists talk a lot about freedom. So, recalling the expression "free as a bird," Morton Feldman went to a park one day and spent some time watching our feathered friends. When he came back, he said, "You know? They're not free: they're fighting over bits of food."

Basenotes Plus

From all I've tried, these are what I currently own and don't plan on parting with entirely:

Concentre d'Orange Verte
    Terre d'Hermes EdT + Parfum
    Eau d'Hermes
    Ambre Narguile
    Epice Marine
    Voyage d'Hermes Parfum
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar

Terre d'Hermes & TdH Parfum.

It's funny, really. I can't figure out which I enjoy more. I own both, and whenever I wear one, I'm sure it's my favorite of the two... until the next time I wear the other one. They're both so good, and though they're similar they are not different concentrations of the same scent. They're different, and they're both great.

I like both of the Voyage scents too (EdT and Parfum). I may need to pick up a bottle at some point.

I like Un Jardin Sur Le Nil a lot too, but to me, it smells too literal. I get a lot more greenery than the notes imply. It literally smells like green plants. It smells more like the scent of a place rather than the scent of a person. It sure is a great smell though.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Opus 1870
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tabac Rouge
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I like both of the Voyage scents too (EdT and Parfum). I may need to pick up a bottle at some point.
    Would you get the EdT or the Parfum?
    September Rotation

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Bel Ami, the original formulation was my gateway fragrance, opened my mind to the concept of frags upon first sniff. Wore it almost exclusively through the 90s, it's nowhere near the same beast now but I still enjoy the current (and previous) formulation.
    Also love Equipage.

As a young guy I'm in love with the Hermes classics (eau d'Hermes, Équipage, Bel Ami (Vétiver)). It helps that almost no one wears these scents so they don't smell as old-school as they really are.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast