Code of Conduct

Default Jay Z Gold: Those Of You Who've Tried It--How Is It?

For those of you who've given it more than a disdainful, passing sniff at the mall...

How is it? What do you think about it?

I ordered a bottle the other day based on a few interesting reviews that I read, but I'm a little skeptical. A long time ago I owned Rocawear Evolution which had some nice concepts but trouble executing them. But it at least showed some effort to be interesting. I haven't tried anything else by Jay Z since.

I hear the performance is mediocre but that it smells really nice. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Jay Z Gold: Those Of You Who've Tried It--How Is It?

I can confirm the nice smell and quality (IMO) better than Evolution, which I own. I don't know about longevity or other aspects of performance, because I resisted the urge to buy at full price, and have not seen it in Marshall's. But I always thought it was a worthy scent, based on several not-so-disdainful sniffs in Nordstrom. I own 9IX and X as well. I liked all his stuff in Macy's but I always waited for it to hit the discounters. If I know something is likely to show up on discount, I'm a harsh lover, and will wait it out!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    For those of you who've given it more than a disdainful, passing sniff at the mall...

How is it? What do you think about it?

I ordered a bottle the other day based on a few interesting reviews that I read, but I'm a little skeptical. A long time ago I owned Rocawear Evolution which had some nice concepts but trouble executing them. But it at least showed some effort to be interesting. I haven't tried anything else by Jay Z since.

I hear the performance is mediocre but that it smells really nice. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
    I ended up with it as a hand-me-down from a roommate that moved over to Paco Rabanne 1 Million (typical)

It has an odd blueberry note smack in the middle of what is otherwise a sweet and warm gourmand-type, so it never really settles down into the "bakery zone" like most male gourmands do, but stays a bit tart from the blueberry. It has one foot in the nightclub, but one foot in the office, so I kind of liken it to the scent of the workaholic that fashions himself a ladykiller on the weekends but in reality never goes out. :P
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I can confirm the nice smell and quality (IMO) better than Evolution, which I own. I don't know about longevity or other aspects of performance, because I resisted the urge to buy at full price, and have not seen it in Marshall's. But I always thought it was a worthy scent, based on several not-so-disdainful sniffs in Nordstrom. I own 9IX and X as well. I liked all his stuff in Macy's but I always waited for it to hit the discounters. If I know something is likely to show up on discount, I'm a harsh lover, and will wait it out!
    There's a Gold Extreme (or Intense or something like that) too, but it's only available at prices I'm unwilling to pay, but I'm curious to test it out. There aren't too many scents around with a discernible blueberry note, so I'm interested in how that turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I ended up with it as a hand-me-down from a roommate that moved over to Paco Rabanne 1 Million (typical)

It has an odd blueberry note smack in the middle of what is otherwise a sweet and warm gourmand-type, so it never really settles down into the "bakery zone" like most male gourmands do, but stays a bit tart from the blueberry. It has one foot in the nightclub, but one foot in the office, so I kind of liken it to the scent of the workaholic that fashions himself a ladykiller on the weekends but in reality never goes out. :P
    Interesting take. It's also good to hear that you pick up on the blueberry note.

So I got this and had a chance to wear it.

It's a six. That's about it. It's a very familiar, generic, modern men's sort of smell--you know the kind that's like a fruity/sporty blob and reminds you immediately of the mall--that's Gold for ya. But it's not unpleasant and actually smells kind of nice in passing. Still, there's no depth, nothing interesting at all going on it, and the quote unquote "blueberry" in it doesn't smell much like blueberries at all. In fact, none of the notes are discernible. I feel like I've smelled this hundreds of times before. Performance is on the weak side. It would be nice on an 8th grader. He could wear it to school and it wouldn't be too loud but he'd smell good. I could wear this if I had to wear something but I wouldn't be too thrilled about it. Very mediocre. Not too bad though. Pleasant. I guess what I like about it is that it's fruity but it's also sort of vanilla-ish with tonka and as soft, white thing going on rather than veering sharp or woody-amber.

And it's really driving me crazy because it smells A LOT like the dry down something else I've smelled and I can't pinpoint it. Maybe AHSEE but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 10th January 2018 at 08:19 PM.