Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Santa Maria Novella. Which are your favorites ?

I've long been a fan of some of their men's grooming range. I used the pre/post shave balm a while ago which was scented with Melograno. So I guess that's one of my favourites - I should look to get a bottle at some point.

Also, the Colonia Russa whilst short lived is great! A lady wears it at work - it's unisex and quite classy. I've known about these since at least 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Trilby - I would advise caution. I tried it in Dublin last week,
    They have the range in Dublin, Claire????

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Not just the range, but an entire store. Opened about a year ago. Next door to Parfumarija.

26 Westbury Mall, Clarendon Street, Dublin 2, Ireland.Opening hours: Monday- Thursday 10.00am-6.00pm
    Tel: (01) 675 0937
    Currently wearing: Casbah by Robert Piguet

I've long been a fan of some of their men's grooming range. I used the pre/post shave balm a while ago which was scented with Melograno. So I guess that's one of my favourites - I should look to get a bottle at some point.

Also, the Colonia Russa whilst short lived is great! A lady wears it at work - it's unisex and quite classy. I've known about these since at least 2005.

Yeah, baby, so this is why you have to come and hang out with me this year in Dublin!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Not just the range, but an entire store. Opened about a year ago. Next door to Parfumarija.

26 Westbury Mall, Clarendon Street, Dublin 2, Ireland.Opening hours: Monday- Thursday 10.00am-6.00pm
    Gah!! I stayed about a block away from there not long ago and missed it! Didn't think to look for an SMN store in Dublin, of all places! Has this been added to the city shopping guides section?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Oooh, that's too bad LiveJazz! Man, I soooooo want to visit Ireland some day. Both my Father's Parents were from Tipperary and Kilkenny, Ireland.

SixCats!

Some great suggestions here already. I’ve sampled most of them at one point or another, and agree there’s something for everyone here. Personally, my favourite is Tobacco Toscano, which is a soft tobacco with a spicy vanillic base. Easy to wear, and with a suede like texture to it. I was also a fan of the Gelsomino triple-strength extrait (thanks for the reminder about this one, Claire!). It had a potency and richness that many of the SMN florals lack. The regular Gelsomino was too gauzy for my tastes.

Certainly plenty to choose from, and they layer nicely too...
    Currently wearing: Eau Illuminée by Delrae

[FONT="]26 Westbury Mall, Clarendon Street, Dublin 2, Ireland.[/FONT]Opening hours: Monday- Thursday 10.00am-6.00pm
    Yikes - thanks so much for this!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Yeah, baby, so this is why you have to come and hang out with me this year in Dublin!
    It's been a while since I visited (last time I think in 2013), but watch this space. Or your PMs

[FONT="]26 Westbury Mall, Clarendon Street, Dublin 2, Ireland.[/FONT]Opening hours: Monday- Thursday 10.00am-6.00pm
    Strange thing about the SMN store in Piccadilly, London. It's like the complete opposite to Dr Who's time machine, i.e. it looks quite large from the outside and covers a corner of the arcade and Piccadilly -- step inside and it's not much bigger than a phone box!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Strange thing about the SMN store in Piccadilly, London. It's like the complete opposite to Dr Who's time machine, i.e. it looks quite large from the outside and covers a corner of the arcade and Piccadilly -- step inside and it's not much bigger than a phone box!
    Good point! Can barely fit 3-4 customers in there.

It's also open a ridiculously small number of hours during the day, meaning it's better to visit on a Saturday if you are coming from far out of town.

Good point! Can barely fit 3-4 customers in there.

It's also open a ridiculously small number of hours during the day, meaning it's better to visit on a Saturday if you are coming from far out of town.
    Very true

Remember also that I don't think the bottles come with sprayers (except Nostalgia I think) -- you have to ask for them separately or you are gonna have 'splash-ons'

Peau d'Espagne, Tobacco Toscano and Nostalgia. PdE smells to me like saddles and saddle soap and the slightly medicinal soap used to wash horses, which I love the smell of.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

Hello again SMN fans!

Might any of you know if SMN makes a Fragrance using the "COSTUS" notes ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costus

I would love to find another STRONG SMN fragrance. Which might be THE most Animalistic SMN Fragrances ?

Thanks,

SixCats!

Hi all,

BUMMER! I talked with the good folks of SMN NYC Shop inquiring if there might be a SMN Fragrances using the Costus note. No Costus used in SMN Fragrances.

SixCats!

Basenotes Plus

I tried Lavanda Ambrata today. Fantastic dry lavender note and the amber is nice n salty/aromatic. I can't wait to sample this again.

"A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Bang by Marc Jacobs

A very underrated house. I liked much of what I've sniffed from SMN, but I haven't worn a lot of it.

The only one I've ever actually purchased and spent a lot of time with is their classic, Acqua di Colonia. Who doesn't want to own a bottle of Caterina de' Medici's signature scent?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I tried Lavanda Ambrata today. Fantastic dry lavender note and the amber is nice n salty/aromatic. I can't wait to sample this again.
    Salty, that's a nice way of describing the tone. I think I like it so much because I don't know of many/any other ambers that are so aromatic and dry, almost mineralic. Any others along those lines you recommend? One I'd had on my radar but haven't sampled is Villoresi's Ambra. I recall some comments by Colin awhile back on some thread that made it sound like it may be in this zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemelimelle View Post
    My favorite SMN fragrance is PATCHOULI!!!!!!!!!!! No question about it!!!!!!!!!!!!! My pick of the patches!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree, it's a stunner. Truly a patchouli-focused patchouli, reminiscent of roots, dirt, camphor and spice.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Salty, that's a nice way of describing the tone. I think I like it so much because I don't know of many/any other ambers that are so aromatic and dry, almost mineralic. Any others along those lines you recommend? One I'd had on my radar but haven't sampled is Villoresi's Ambra. I recall some comments by Colin awhile back on some thread that made it sound like it may be in this zone...
    I gave it a full wearing today - love it! Very good stuff. I can't say enough.

Have you ever smelled Amber & Lavender Cologne by Jo Malone? The Bath Oil is divine and smelling the SMN reminded me of it.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Bang by Marc Jacobs

There is an art gallery by the acropolis here in Athens that sells quite a few Smn products.
    I've tried patchouli melograno, and tobacco toscano.
    I would definitely buy tobacco toscano it was fantastic.
    But I have pure havane right now and they are similar.
    Patchouli-wow the dry down was amazing I would probably buy this but it's pretty limited to nightime hours or one spray in the daytime.
    I didn't care for melograno that much it's quite dated ,but not in a good way. Interesting though.
    Each fragrance costs 100 euros and I think 3 euro extra for a sprayer.

Hi all,

Today, while perusing an Antique Shop/Flea Market, I became FROZEN in my tracks! No way! I see a Fragrance box I immediately recognized. Thinks I "is this just an empty box ?" I slowly reach over to the corner of table where box was sitting. I take hold of box and.....it has weight! Perhaps an empty bottle in box ? I open box. WHOA! A brand new/completely full bottle of "Santa Maria Novella" GELSOMINO! OK (I'm thinking to myself) what is this price on this Cologne ? I turn over box and, Oooh Baby! Let's just say, I saved over one hundred dollars on the purchase of this SMN. UN-real! Mind you, this find come only hours after my having found a vintage (circa 1950-60's) bottle of "Moment Supreme" by Jean Patou! This French Perfume however had perhaps 30 ml remaining in the "tightly capped" bottle and the Perfume is VERY viable and STRONG! An awesome find for five dollars! At any rate, might "Gelsomino" be considered "too" feminine" for a Mature Gentleman (like yours truly) to pull off ? I haven't yet tested the "Gelsomino" as of yet instead tonight enjoy wearing the Jean Patou. Of course, I have no issues whatsoever wearing a Fragrance said to be a Woman's Fragrance (Hell, I own and wear many). I'm just curious in general what the knowledgeable members here at BN might think regarding a Gentleman wearing "Gelsomino". Thanks.

SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi all,

Today, while perusing an Antique Shop/Flea Market, I became FROZEN in my tracks! No way! I see a Fragrance box I immediately recognized. Thinks I "is this just an empty box ?" I slowly reach over to the corner of table where box was sitting. I take hold of box and.....it has weight! Perhaps an empty bottle in box ? I open box. WHOA! A brand new/completely full bottle of "Santa Maria Novella" GELSOMINO! OK (I'm thinking to myself) what is this price on this Cologne ? I turn over box and, Oooh Baby! Let's just say, I saved over one hundred dollars on the purchase of this SMN. UN-real! Mind you, this find come only hours after my having found a vintage (circa 1950-60's) bottle of "Moment Supreme" by Jean Patou! This French Perfume however had perhaps 30 ml remaining in the "tightly capped" bottle and the Perfume is VERY viable and STRONG! An awesome find for five dollars! At any rate, might "Gelsomino" be considered "too" feminine" for a Mature Gentleman (like yours truly) to pull off ? I haven't yet tested the "Gelsomino" as of yet instead tonight enjoy wearing the Jean Patou. Of course, I have no issues whatsoever wearing a Fragrance said to be a Woman's Fragrance (Hell, I own and wear many). I'm just curious in general what the knowledgeable members here at BN might think regarding a Gentleman wearing "Gelsomino". Thanks.

SixCats!
    Hey that's really cool. I've heard the Santa Maria Novella jasmine is a great one I'm glad you got your hands on it SixCats because you're the type of cat to really enjoy it.

Ooh, thank you so very much GWM for your kind words. I am looking forward to wearing this SMN (my favorite House) Fragrance tomorrow! I'm sure I'll dig it and I hope it'll be the Cat's Meow!

SixCats!

Dependent

Aahhh, the smell of a race car!

Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia.JPG

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Great find, SixCats! The only SMN I have is Peau d'Espagne, which I love. Some day, I'll go tumbling down the SMN rabbit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Aahhh, the smell of a race car!

Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia.JPG
    OMG! How I LOVE "Nostalgia". Between "Acqua di Cuba" and "Nostalgia" (depending on the day) both are my NUMERO UNO Fragrances! lol

I still have my Eyes set on yet another SMN purchase in the future (perhaps a couple).

SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Great find, SixCats! The only SMN I have is Peau d'Espagne, which I love. Some day, I'll go tumbling down the SMN rabbit hole.
    Hi PS,

Ooh, Peau d'Espagne is EXCELLENT! I've only a "decant" however, it's wonderful!

Trust me PS, you don't want to tumble down the SMN "Rabbit Hole" !

PS, "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IPPn9t6dyE

Funny Bunny say "Ooh, don't listen to silly Mr. SixCats! Seriously, it's AWESOME down here PS! Come on down! You'll love it!"

https://www.google.com/search?q=rabb...YJd2gpXFsIQyVM

SixCats!

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Ooh, Peau d'Espagne is EXCELLENT! I've only a "decant" however, it's wonderful!

Trust me PS, you don't want to tumble down the SMN "Rabbit Hole"!

PS, "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!"
    I think I'll go the sample/decant route myself with most of those that intrigue me. PDE just happened to be part of a fortuitous trade. I look forward to revisiting it when I'm done plowing through my bottles—there's light at the end of that tunnel!

How comes I never find such things?

Anyway, re: gelsomino, I have not tried it on skin, but I don't see any problems with men wearing jasmine. Curious how long lasting it is. Most SMN don't last on me (with exception of course).

cacio

Musk, Vetiver, Acqua di Cuba, Tabacco Toscano, Eliotropio, Nostalgia.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I’ve been getting the urge to resampled potpourri. I remember enjoying it a lot but never buying it.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Muschio