Code of Conduct

Default Sage - (not clary sage) - looking for your sage advice

I just got my hands on a bottle of sage EO from Naissance and I am super excited about it. The opening is not nice at all, an awkward mushy green note, like cleaning out your lawnmower. But the dry down is fantastic; a tingling crisp scent somewhere between spearmint and a dry wood.

Two questions;

1 - I am hoping to find cheaper and possibly better sources of sage EO. (Not to be confused with clary sage of which there is plenty). Naissance retails at nearly $10 per 10 ml. Surely there should be better deals out there, seeing as sage hardly is a rare and exotic plant?

2 - I would welcome ideas as to how to mitigate the unpleasant opening. So far grapefruit seems the most helpful, but there might be syntehtics out there that would be more effective in this regard.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Sage - (not clary sage) - looking for your sage advice

$10 for 10ml doesn't sound to expensive for a 'fantastic dry down'.... You might find it at $8 or even $6, but does that make the difference? And finding them of less quality than expected... Unless you're into buying kilograms, then it might be wise to do some homework to quality / pricing. But $10 for 10 ml of exceptional quality essential oil seems just to be in range.

For your second question, try to add a bit of anise or fennel, fir needle or salicylates (benzyl, iso amyl). Also lavender could do the trick. Or towards spices: eugenol or black pepper. Patchouli could turn it to a 'luxury lawnmower scent' #lol. Seriously, it does!
    Please visit my blog for a listing of all my free formulas

Haggerston I love your wit there and Jsparla your just so funny!

An update to my first post. Basically, it was just a matter of waiting.... About three weeks after mixing, the unpleasant opening was gone and I've got myself a really nice concoction. I mixed it into a half full bottle, i.e. with plenty of air left in the bottle, and I think that did the trick.
    Now I've got myself a really nice woody beard oil with the sage adding that little extra spiciness towards the end.