Code of Conduct

Default New to perfume! Looking for something that evokes this imagery...

Imagine a damp, fragrant heap of moss and wood decaying in a marshy forest. Now rub it over with some warm spices and flower petals like magnolia, cinnamon and cloves. Finally, squeeze some overripe, honeyed fruit atop the whole thing, peaches or apple or apricot. Glorious, bright, ambery, lush, tasty, exotic, woodsy but not masculine, sweet but not dense. Here you have the scent I'm looking for.

Feel free to direct me to any fragrance family or scent you see fit but for reference I generally enjoy woody orientals, spicy orientals, and floral woody musks. I have tried SL's Feminite du Bois and found it unfortunately too barren with a masculine, lumbery dry-down. Estee Lauder 'Sensuous' was delicious at first but dried down to almost the exact same case. Parfums del Rae Bois de Paradis was perhaps a little too woody, lacked florals and that slightly syrupy component I'm seeking after.

I dislike overpowering vanilla (i.e., Dolce and Gabbana 'The One') or intensely resinous or aldehydic smells (Chanel No. 5). I love amber, Tonka bean, pepper, cinnamon and patchouli. I am less tutti-frutti than most 21 year old females but I still prefer to smell distinctly feminine and not unisex or masculine. Thank you for the read.

Default Re: New to perfume! Looking for something that evokes this imagery...

You can add "earthy" to that key list of adjectives up at the top there, hahaha.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Pehaps Belle Bete by Les Liquides Imaginaires
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Encre Noire was the first thing that came to mind for the first part of your description.

Don't look for 'gloop'. Much easier to find

Imagine a damp, fragrant heap of moss and wood decaying in a marshy forest.

or

some warm spices and flower petals like magnolia, cinnamon and cloves

or

some overripe, honeyed fruit atop the whole thing, peaches or apple or apricot

But not all at once.

Chergui, Arabie, might work. Or you might find them too masculine, even though quite unisex to me.

Thinking about this some more, I'd really encourage you to get some samples from Zoologist.

'Bat' sounds exactly like what you're looking for. Hummingbird, Nightingale, also recommended for you.

Pulp ?

Welcome!

Ormonde Woman does the marshy forest pretty well, but it lacks the sweet oriental part you are thinking about. Decaying woods plus overripe fruit is present in some ouds. Have you explored the genre? You have to look at sweet, oily oud reconstructions, like the by Kilian Pure Oud, rather than at darker woody ones (like Dior Leather oud or Montale oud).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Chergui, Arabie, might work. Or you might find them too masculine, even though quite unisex to me.[/COLOR]
    Seconded, though I'd add Feminite du Bois to your suggestions.

Always be smelling

Salvador Dali PH vintage
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Sillage Monster

Possibly Enchanted Forest by The Vagabond Prince.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Thank you for the advice. I've kind of been trying to capture it all at once so I'll start trying that approach.

I swear when I first read your comment I thought you are snarking at me, like go get some pulp. Lol, are you referring to pulp by Byredo? The notes on fragrantica look pretty good on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Thinking about this some more, I'd really encourage you to get some samples from Zoologist.

'Bat' sounds exactly like what you're looking for. Hummingbird, Nightingale, also recommended for you.
    Agreed on Zoologist - would add Nightingale to the list - it may be a little week on the spice front but it's definitely fruity and foresty!

Although I do not have a recommendation, I wanted to say that I greatly appreciated your tapestry of sensory details. Gorgeous!

Rania
    Currently wearing: Musc 25 by Le Labo

Quote Originally Posted by Raniau View Post
    Although I do not have a recommendation, I wanted to say that I greatly appreciated your tapestry of sensory details. Gorgeous!

Rania
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Salvador Dali PH vintage
    I don't know if I would like the pour homme Salvador Dali, assuming it is masculine, but I'll certainly look into it. I'm currently very interested in obtaining a whiff of Dali Le Roy Soleil; it sounds gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Possibly Enchanted Forest by The Vagabond Prince.
    Just checked this out-- I love blackcurrant. Gonna get a sample ASAP.

Basenotes Plus

First one that came to my mind:-

Jungle L’Elephant by Kenzo.

For some reason this made me think of MPG Jardin du Nil. No spices but everything else is there including steaming, green, rotting vegetation and all.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Also adding, in no particular order:

Dior Dune, Guerlain Songe d'un Bois d'Ete, Eau des Baux by L'Occitane, Yves Rocher Vanille Noire

Quote Originally Posted by thegoob View Post
    Imagine a damp, fragrant heap of moss and wood decaying in a marshy forest. Now rub it over with some warm spices and flower petals like magnolia, cinnamon and cloves. Finally, squeeze some overripe, honeyed fruit atop the whole thing, peaches or apple or apricot. Glorious, bright, ambery, lush, tasty, exotic, woodsy but not masculine, sweet but not dense. Here you have the scent I'm looking for.

Feel free to direct me to any fragrance family or scent you see fit but for reference I generally enjoy woody orientals, spicy orientals, and floral woody musks. I have tried SL's Feminite du Bois and found it unfortunately too barren with a masculine, lumbery dry-down. Estee Lauder 'Sensuous' was delicious at first but dried down to almost the exact same case. Parfums del Rae Bois de Paradis was perhaps a little too woody, lacked florals and that slightly syrupy component I'm seeking after.

I dislike overpowering vanilla (i.e., Dolce and Gabbana 'The One') or intensely resinous or aldehydic smells (Chanel No. 5). I love amber, Tonka bean, pepper, cinnamon and patchouli. I am less tutti-frutti than most 21 year old females but I still prefer to smell distinctly feminine and not unisex or masculine. Thank you for the read.
    Dior-Dior. The note list on basenotes doesn't really capture all the complexity because it's got the Roudnitska overripe fruit in it, or if you are getting even more obscure, Belle de Rauch from Madeleine de Rauch. We are talking late 60's/70s chypres, the last flowery of these glorious creation. Real oakmoss grounding the whole thing. .

Dependent

Maybe something like New Sibet by Slumberhouse.

Mure et Musc by l'Artisan Parfumeur maybe given that you love blackberry.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Moschino Toy Boy

Basenotes Plus

A few years ago I bought a fragrance from Demeter called Zombie for Her. That will definitely put you smack dab in the middle of leaves, earth, and moss. Among other things. I think I'd been watching a lot of The Walking Dead at the time? I don't know if I should recommend it really; I haven't touched it for years.

And you'd have to layer this with something else to hit your target. Maybe Amarige if applied with a light hand, or Beyond Paradise? I love Lust by Gorilla Perfumes, but if you put that on I'm pretty sure that's all you (and your neighbors) would smell.

Happy hunting!
    Currently wearing: Lost Cherry by Tom Ford