Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Default Therapeutic benefits

    Hi all,

    I'm in the process of trying to make candles, but what i wanted to know is if synthetic fragrance oils offer the same therapeutic benefits as the genuine material. If not, does this mean that the so-called 'calming', 'relaxing' candles out on the market by companies like NEOM are lying?

    I read on here last week that absolutes used in candles are not volatile enough to evaporate (sorry, i don't know the chemistry behind this). I've also read that essentials oils don't work every well in wax candles (i know there are a list of oils that do) and that fragrances oils were manufactured specifically for the use of candle making. So, if I'm looking to use Pink Lotus absolute, Lime (Linden Blossom), Orchid oil not just for the fragrance but also for the therapeutic benefits it offers; how do i go about incorporating these oils in to my candle?
    Last edited by Beautifully African; 14th March 2018 at 11:38 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Therapeutic benefits

    What's the evidence for the purported 'therapeutic benefits' in the first place?
    If the suggestion is just that by creating a pleasant smelling, candle-lit environment one is more likely to feel relaxed or calm, then I don't suppose it matters what materials you use.
    If, on the other hand, it is specifically claimed that material X contains chemical Y which is known to activate the parasympathetic nervous system thereby inducing a relaxation response, then obviously it does matter if your perfume contains chemical Y or not.
    One of the problem with fragrance oils is that you have little to no idea what's in them.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Therapeutic benefits

    Thanks for replying.

    NEOM stocks several candles that claim to 'Calm', 'Destress' and bring 'Peace'. For the 'Happiness' candle, it says the candle contains a blend of 24 essential oils including Neroli, Mimosa and Lemon. Each candle has a percentage of buyers that claims they benefited from said advantages. My problem with this is Neroli and Mimosa are both absolutes...

    Seeing as i have no professional background in aromatherapy, i think i'm better off ignoring these properties and just aim to create candles that create great fragrances... but this still leaves me dealing with the problem of using fragrance oils which i don't want to use for the very reason you stated.

  4. #4
    Basenotes Plus
    pkiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,830

    Default Re: Therapeutic benefits

    Neroli is never an absolute. It is distilled.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Therapeutic benefits

    Unless your objective is to further study clinical aromatherapy, I wouldn't concern myself too much with any potential therapeutic benefits, especially in regards to fragrance oils, where you will not have any certainty as to what components they contain (as mentioned above).

    However, if something has linalool (lavender essential oil, for example) or even a signifcant percentage of the chemical component of linalool, for example, there may be some evidence of its sedative and anti-anxiety properties coming into play. I generally put little stock in this if the fragrance concentrate in question is a composite of naturals and synthetics as aromatherapy in practice adheres strictly to the use of essential oils and extractions directly from botanical origins.

    Also, avoid using fragrance oils going forward if you want to take this to the next level.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Therapeutic benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Neroli is never an absolute. It is distilled.
    Really?? OK, looks like i have to do more reading. Thank you.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Therapeutic benefits

    agree about frangrance oils unless they're designed for candles.

    Also, those marketing names describe the sense you might feel based on their aroma. Be careful, using EOs that have a low flaspoint might bring your candle, and home, down to the groud.

    RE: Neroli, it is a steam distillation, while Orange Blossom Abs. is solvent extracted, from the same plant, though I think the orange blossom is heady, romantic, narcotic, neroli also is a steam distallation of the twigs and leaves as well as the flower. Solvents make abs. while steam distallations (amoungst a whole host of other types of distallations) create EOs.

    Cardamom CO2 behaves like an Abs in my humble opinion. So there you go.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Therapeutic benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Colbourne View Post
    Unless your objective is to further study clinical aromatherapy, I wouldn't concern myself too much with any potential therapeutic benefits, especially in regards to fragrance oils, where you will not have any certainty as to what components they contain (as mentioned above).

    However, if something has linalool (lavender essential oil, for example) or even a signifcant percentage of the chemical component of linalool, for example, there may be some evidence of its sedative and anti-anxiety properties coming into play. I generally put little stock in this if the fragrance concentrate in question is a composite of naturals and synthetics as aromatherapy in practice adheres strictly to the use of essential oils and extractions directly from botanical origins.

    Also, avoid using fragrance oils going forward if you want to take this to the next level.
    Great, thank you! Just to clarify, when you say "avoid using fragrance oils going forward if you want to take this to the next level", you mean just stick to essential oils, right?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Therapeutic benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by joev View Post
    agree about frangrance oils unless they're designed for candles.

    Also, those marketing names describe the sense you might feel based on their aroma. Be careful, using EOs that have a low flaspoint might bring your candle, and home, down to the groud.

    RE: Neroli, it is a steam distillation, while Orange Blossom Abs. is solvent extracted, from the same plant, though I think the orange blossom is heady, romantic, narcotic, neroli also is a steam distallation of the twigs and leaves as well as the flower. Solvents make abs. while steam distallations (amoungst a whole host of other types of distallations) create EOs.

    Cardamom CO2 behaves like an Abs in my humble opinion. So there you go.
    Thank you for clearing up Neroli and Orange Blossom .

    I'm surprised the didn't see that as a marketing strategy seeing as i'm always complaining about that

  10. #10
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Therapeutic benefits

    That is correct!

    Quote Originally Posted by Beautifully African View Post
    Great, thank you! Just to clarify, when you say "avoid using fragrance oils going forward if you want to take this to the next level", you mean just stick to essential oils, right?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Therapeutic benefits

    Quote Originally Posted by Colbourne View Post
    That is correct!
    Many thanks for your help, Colbourne, it's appreciated




Similar Threads

  1. Therapeutic Essential Oils: WOW!
    By dreamchaser in forum Home Fragrance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd November 2016, 09:08 PM
  2. DPG how high and what benefits?
    By jfrater in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th July 2015, 08:45 PM
  3. Amazon Therapeutic Laboratories
    By argent in forum Cosmetics & Beauty
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th April 2008, 11:16 AM
  4. Same benefits as aromatherapy?
    By Xen in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 1st July 2005, 04:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000