Code of Conduct
Page 78 of 81 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,340 of 2430
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

I agree that the amber, ambergris thing is confusing.

For instance today I'm wearing Bonheur and it's loaded with ambergris. Almost as much as say...Atlantic Ambergris...yet it doesn't have amber or ambergris anywhere in the title.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Santal 33 by Le Labo

I tried last friday night Oud Monarch with Mazzolari Lui. 5 sprays of each on my neck. I am still wishpering 'ooohhhs'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkinggrade View Post
    I tried last friday night Oud Monarch with Mazzolari Lui. 5 sprays of each on my neck. I am still wishpering 'ooohhhs'.
    oooohs!

Tell me more, tell me more,Was it love at first sight?

Basenotes Plus

I am wearing Sir Winston today. It keeps getting better and better the more it ages. I posted on today's SOTD that I think it's my absolute favorite Tea fragrance - of all time.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I am wearing Sir Winston today. It keeps getting better and better the more it ages. I posted on today's SOTD that I think it's my absolute favorite Tea fragrance - of all time.
    i almost traded mine off at one point and glad i didnt, think ill wear it tomorrow.

I agree that the amber, ambergris thing is confusing.

For instance today I'm wearing Bonheur and it's loaded with ambergris. Almost as much as say...Atlantic Ambergris...yet it doesn't have amber or ambergris anywhere in the title.
    i'm kind of burnt out on Bonheur. I wore it yesterday and think i may have mentally moved on from it. This happened to me with Roja Dove's Creaton-E Parfum (love the cologne still). I loved it for months and months, then I just woke up one day and was like "eh... *list for sale*"
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Apple Brandy by By Kilian

Recently discovered that I love tobacco in fragrances, so I was thinking of getting a sample of Sir Winston. How much of a role does the tobacco play in it?

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by vapor-ambient View Post
    Recently discovered that I love tobacco in fragrances, so I was thinking of getting a sample of Sir Winston. How much of a role does the tobacco play in it?
    It’s a very green tobacco leaf with heavy tuberose. If you’re looking for pipe tobacco or cigar tobacco you’ll be disappointed. It leans very vintage and the tobacco is soft, fresh and very green. However it’s straight up Tuberose forward with nuances of tobacco. I prefer pipe tobacco so I felt pretty let down at first but it’s still a great fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    It’s a very green tobacco leaf with heavy tuberose. If you’re looking for pipe tobacco or cigar tobacco you’ll be disappointed. It leans very vintage and the tobacco is soft, fresh and very green. However it’s straight up Tuberose forward with nuances of tobacco. I prefer pipe tobacco so I felt pretty let down at first but it’s still a great fragrance.
    Thanks. I'm not really familiar with green tobacco leaf (or tuberose for that matter). Just going to go ahead and give it a shot. Seems Luckyscent has samples for Slumberhouse's Baque and Jeke by so I grabbed those, too.

Eugen from the U Smells Good YT channel shares his thought about Sayat Nova.

After testing Sir Winston a few more times I went ahead and bit on a purchase. Love the vibe and among other things, I'm amazed at how not-overpowering it is in the Deep South heat/humidity I have to deal with on a daily basis. I guess that's a feature of this sort of construction? Can't wait for autumn now, as I imagine that's the perfect time of year for it. Asked for samples of Lucky Oud and Amber Cologne to be included, so I'll get to check those out soon.

I also procured a small sample of Vetiver Nocturne (19, IIRC) in the meanwhile, and am very impressed with that one, too. A little less of a "wow" factor but a gorgeous, refreshing scent in its own right.

Really just an overnight fan of this house.

Thanks. I'm not really familiar with green tobacco leaf (or tuberose for that matter). Just going to go ahead and give it a shot. Seems Luckyscent has samples for Slumberhouse's Baque and Jeke by so I grabbed those, too.
    I think youll really like Jeke if youre into tobacco frags. Its my favorite in that genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Diva D View Post
    After testing Sir Winston a few more times I went ahead and bit on a purchase. Love the vibe and among other things, I'm amazed at how not-overpowering it is in the Deep South heat/humidity I have to deal with on a daily basis. I guess that's a feature of this sort of construction? Can't wait for autumn now, as I imagine that's the perfect time of year for it. Asked for samples of Lucky Oud and Amber Cologne to be included, so I'll get to check those out soon.

I also procured a small sample of Vetiver Nocturne (19, IIRC) in the meanwhile, and am very impressed with that one, too. A little less of a "wow" factor but a gorgeous, refreshing scent in its own right.

Really just an overnight fan of this house.
    If you like the ‘19 version of Vetiver Nocturne, I’d definitely check the Absolue version out, as I think it’s a bit nicer.
    Currently wearing: Chypre Palatin by MDCI

Basenotes Plus

For me this scent is ALL about the tea. Personally, I am not a fan of tobacco-prominent scents. I can wear them, but I am not naturally drawn to them. Nonetheless...I love Sir Winston.

Today, for some odd reason, I woke up craving the smell of roses. I don't really own a lot of rose prominent scents (or decants) anymore - not like when I joined BN and owned several. I have No. 88 (vintage) by C&S and Rose 31 by Le Labo and...I think that's it. So I reached for my Bortnikoff 'roses'. It's been a while since I wore these two: Zemfira and Triad.

I am really enjoying Triad a lot now - when I got this decant I thought it was meh. But I really really enjoyed it today. Surprised myself. I am pretty sure it's because this is a rose/oud scent that just oozes 'quality' ingredients.

Zemfira - it'e enjoyable for me as an ambient scent (I scent my bubble bath sometimes with it) or layered with another scent so today I layered it with a bone-dry sandalwood fragrance (Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi) and it worked perfectly. It can smell sometimes like Big Floral but the wood reigned it in today.

I swear these Bortnikoff's really show so many facets and nuances as they age - and as my nose becomes attenuated to them. I find it fascinating.

-- D. Elton Trueblood

I think the Tobacco note is very obvious in this fragrance. Tuberose and Tobacco. Sometimes the tobacco dominates and sometimes the tuberose does, but at the end of the day, the tobacco is very obvious to me. I love the scent and have purchased 3 bottles, assuming that it will be out of stock at some point. It’s the best tobacco fragrance I have ever tried, and the one that reminds me most of a cigar.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    I think the Tobacco note is very obvious in this fragrance. Tuberose and Tobacco. Sometimes the tobacco dominates and sometimes the tuberose does, but at the end of the day, the tobacco is very obvious to me. I love the scent and have purchased 3 bottles, assuming that it will be out of stock at some point. It’s the best tobacco fragrance I have ever tried, and the one that reminds me most of a cigar.
    I think a lot of people were looking for a heavy hitting blonde tobacco fragrance with the usual supporting notes initially- myself included. But indeed this is more of a Cuban cigar type of fragrance and I agree that it is one of the absolute best tobacco fragrances one can own.

I find this review is appropriate, given that the YouTuber is Cuban.

Do you even niche and/or artisanal?
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Thanks for the replies. I find it interesting how different interpretations of Sir Winston are. Sounds like you all really like it, though. Can't wait to receive my sample.

Really interesting to read the takes on Sir Winston, especially how some of you guys get so much tobacco from it. I've only given it one full wear (from a decant) and I found it to be pretty tuberose dominant. Nicely blended but I struggle a bit with heavy tuberose. Will have to revisit my decant now, though, to see if it behaves differently!

Basenotes Plus

LOVE Sir Winston . On me it’s mostly ‘green tea’ and ‘tobacco’. Tuberose plays in the background. It’s impressive in its clarity yet deceiving in its simplicity.
    Currently wearing: Dia Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    LOVE Sir Winston . On me it’s mostly ‘green tea’ and ‘tobacco’. Tuberose plays in the background. It’s impressive in its clarity yet deceiving in its simplicity.
    I find the ambergris very heavy personally and I never see anyone discuss that. It’s not the salty aspects of black ambergris that come out when I spray but the fatty/rich aspects from white/grey ambergris. I think this one has improved tremendously over the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    I find the ambergris very heavy personally and I never see anyone discuss that. It’s not the salty aspects of black ambergris that come out when I spray but the fatty/rich aspects from white/grey ambergris. I think this one has improved tremendously over the past year.
    Ah, interesting. That might be what brings a bit of funk to it? I remember thinking that it might be some indolic effect of the tuberose. I should really re-visit it.

100% agree. Likewise, I always think of a quality ambergris in a perfume as having the same effect as adding butter to food. I know Thierry Wasser used what seems like an overdose of real ambergris in the original Encens Mythique (not sure about the new packaging), and I feel its similar in Sir Winston. Also, I find the Vanilla actually appears now when I couldn't really find it at first.One of my favorites from Dimitri.

Basenotes Junkie

I wish I had that same experience. I don’t get ambergris in Sir Winston or Amber Cologne. Both of my decants leaked during shipping and the person I bought them from used scotch tape to seal them in some of the worst bottles I’ve ever received.. I wonder if I need to buy a fresh tester from Bortnikoff and see if there’s any differences in scent.
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

Maybe that's why I like Sir Winston so much - because of the ambergris. I didn't even consider that until now.

Is the Attar the same?

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Basenotes Plus

Maybe that's why I like Sir Winston so much - because of the ambergris. I didn't even consider that until now.

Is the Attar the same?
    Seconding this question. Anyone here has experience with the attar?

About the ambergris, it’s not really something I pick up strongly but it does seem to add a fresh saline facet not unlike the one encountered in Moss Cologne.
    Currently wearing: Dia Man by Amouage

newmysterious-oud-box-scaled.jpg
    Mysterious Oud has been made available again through Bortnikoff.com in a new batch and with a new bottle design.
    Not sure if any changes have been made to the formula. If I remember correctly the old batch contained Indian, Thai and Vietnamese oud. This new one only list the notes as oud and Indian oud. The price is the same as before, $290.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic78 View Post
    newmysterious-oud-box-scaled.jpg
    Mysterious Oud has been made available again through Bortnikoff.com in a new batch and with a new bottle design.
    Not sure if any changes have been made to the formula. If I remember correctly the old batch contained Indian, Thai and Vietnamese oud. This new one only list the notes as oud and Indian oud. The price is the same as before, $290.
    His Instagram post lists Thai, Vietnamese and Indian Oud.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Mysterious Oud is very underrated and very enjoyable. I wonder if he received mail to resurrect it. Perhaps the original Coup de Foudre could be next. I hope so.
    Currently wearing: Royal Water by Creed

I prefer the wood cap

His Instagram post lists Thai, Vietnamese and Indian Oud.
    Good to know. Probably just some typo on the website then.

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    Mysterious Oud is very underrated and very enjoyable. I wonder if he received mail to resurrect it. Perhaps the original Coup de Foudre could be next. I hope so.
    Agreed. I'm glad to have it in my collection. Would be really nice with a revamped Coup de Foudre and Bonheur as well. The latter which I unfortunately didn't have the opportunity to try. I haven't tried the original CdF either for that matter, only the cologne version.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBos View Post
    I prefer the wood cap
    Same here. I think the new cap is a bit too much and the excessive text and logo makes it look cheap.

Page 78 of 81 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast