Code of Conduct
Page 87 of 92 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 2733

Default Re: Bortnikoff perfumes (take note Areej le Dore fans!)

has anyone that ordered their samples from bortnikoffs website gotten them yet? Im still waiting on mine.
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

Quote Originally Posted by avo1811 View Post
    has anyone that ordered their samples from bortnikoffs website gotten them yet? Im still waiting on mine.
    Same here, been waiting since November 2.

I did, but ordered a full bottle at the time I got samples and I believe the shipping was expedited.

Trying Oud Lokoum on one hand while wearing Oud monarch on the other. I’m def getting the Turkish delight thing, it’s very nice. I think he did a great job working the Ylang in there, and the trat/Indian ouds smell of great quality. The dried fruits provide a lot of sweetness. Tobacco is there, but maybe just gets taken to a sweeter level that I’m typically not really in to. Personally, I gravitate more towards the dryness and slight animalics of Oud monarch, although I think OL is a nice addition. That being said, it’s a pass for me, but I think some might really like it.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Bortnikoff Discussion Thread

Testing out Oud Loukoum today:

First impressions: heavy on the ylang-ylang. I love ylang but it feels a bit overpowering here. I'm not getting much dried fruit or tobacco. This is a very yellow floral. Feels like a tropical, feminine-oriented perfume with a vintage/classic aesthetic.

This is nothing like the takes on loukoum that you might get from, say Prin Lomros, who has mastered the accord and used it beautifully in a number of perfumes (Nesnas Qareen, which I wish he would bring back, though I do own a 50ml bottle, Anatolia, Turkish Leather).

I'm starting to smell more of the dried fruit in the middle notes.

Not sure how I feel about this one. I don't get much if any oud or woodiness. We'll see what happens in the dry down. I haven't been impressed with Bortnikoff at all. In fact, other than Sayat Nova and maybe Oud Maximus, I'm not sure there is a Bortnikoff that I feel is full bottle worthy (though I have not tried everything). One of the most offensive releases I tried last year was Sir Winston, which to me smelled like washed laundry that sat too long before being dried - like mold mixed with white florals. Yuck.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by HabibiGotIt View Post

First impressions: heavy on the ylang-ylang. I love ylang but it feels a bit overpowering here. I'm not getting much dried fruit or tobacco. This is a very yellow floral. Feels like a tropical, feminine-oriented perfume with a vintage/classic aesthetic.

This is nothing like the takes on loukoum that you might get from, say Prin Lomros, who has mastered the accord and used it beautifully in a number of perfumes (Nesnas Qareen, which I wish he would bring back, though I do own a 50ml bottle, Anatolia, Turkish Leather).

Not sure how I feel about this one. I don't get much if any oud or woodiness. We'll see what happens in the dry down. I haven't been impressed with Bortnikoff at all. In fact, other than Sayat Nova and maybe Oud Maximus, I'm not sure there is a Bortnikoff that I feel is full bottle worthy (though I have not tried everything). One of the most offensive releases I tried last year was Sir Winston, which to me smelled like washed laundry that sat too long before being dried - like mold mixed with white florals. Yuck.
    A friend made a connection between Oud Loukum and Sir Winston. Do you pick up on any similarities with the green tobacco leaf note or is it completely different scent in your opinion? I found Sir Winston to smell okay but my wife shares similar thoughts as you.

I think the one factor that turns me off from Bortnikoff is that they all too often feel thin compared to what I’m normally drawn to. Oud Maximus is great but even Oud Monarch felt a tad bit thin and lacking that special oomph that Oud Maximus has. Maybe I’ve tried the wrong samples but I hear Sayat Nova is a well rounded “thick” scent.
    Currently wearing: Sova by Slumberhouse

doesn't nesnas have a halva note? I thing you might be mixing up two desserts , could be a good combo eating two of those together though...

I haven't been impressed with Bortnikoff at all. In fact, other than Sayat Nova and maybe Oud Maximus, I'm not sure there is a Bortnikoff that I feel is full bottle worthy (though I have not tried everything).
    Agree with these sentiments, but Musk Khabib is another one FBW, maybe Mysterious Oud and Oud Monarch too.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Robin oud View Post
    doesn't nesnas have a halva note? I thing you might be mixing up two desserts , could be a good combo eating two of those together though...
    Good call, Nesnas is indeed halwa. Still, the Bortnikoff is unable to suggest Middle Eastern sweets the way Prin so skillfully does. I was just disappointed. Don't even ask me about Sans Fleur. Rubber tire vibes...

Default Re: Bortnikoff Discussion Thread - Part 2

Part of me wants to get all passionate about the undeniably great Bortnikoff’s:

Oud Maximus
    Vetiver Nocturne
    Triad
    Bonheur
    Musk Cologne
    Musk Khabib
    Oud Sinharaja
    Amber Cologne
    Oud Monarch
    Chypre du Nord
    (And some days I’d add Sayat Nova and Mysterious Oud)

But part of me is just too depressed by the new thread to really have that much interest.

Basenotes Plus

See, I've only tried one or two of the above, so my opinions are skewed by poor sampling. I did try Zemfira today at LuckyScent in NY and whooo boy that is a beautiful, smooth saffron/rose/oud.

I have not tried Sayat Nova (a 9ml tester is waiting for me at my in-laws in Bangkok since like 5 months), nor Vesna, Moss Cologne and the three latest ones.

I own FBs of Oud Maximus OG, Vatinee, Bonheur, Amber Cologne, Symphonie de Neroli and travel sizes of L'Heure, Oud Monarch and Sayat.
    Except for Zemfira, I liked or even loved every Bortnikoff I tried. I love challenging stuff (like some of my Areej's) but I also do love Bortnikoff for not being challenging at all. They're such easy daily drivers and up-lifting scents, even the 'heavier' ones like OM or Monarch. I think it's often the citrus openings and the smooth blending that does the trick for me. If I'd have the funds, I would easily buy bottles of Musk Khabib, Oud Sinharaja, Triad, Vetiver Nocturne and Musk Cologne, to be able to spray them regularly and liberally. The only thing tho is the price point and that I feel imho I can't justify 350 USD for all of them. I wish Dmitry we go back to also offering 30ml (as for the first collection). The 9ml ones just finish to fast, 30ml would hit the sweet spot for me...
    Currently wearing: Thai Tabac by Ensar Oud

We had looked into starting a version-2 continuation of this thread, to avoid stressing the server if it gets too long, but I'm re-opening it for now. Thanks to everyone for your interest in keeping the thread going!

Please remember that this is a "discussion only" thread and any posts soliciting sales or swaps is a violation of the code of conduct 1.8 No spamming, soliciting or advertising.
    Last edited by CuddleCat; 25th November 2020 at 09:01 AM.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

I've gone back and forth with Sir Winston. Loved it, hated it, loved it again, and now it just kind of sits there for when I want a cold-weather ambergris. Slumberhouse scratches that tobacco itch in every way possible (Jeke, Kiste, Baque), so I'm not bothered by the fact that its not the tobacco-bomb that some of us expected.

Basenotes Plus

I’ve had a couple sprays of Sans Fleurs on my forearm for two hours now. I still think the opening blast of booze is off putting, but I’m rather enjoying the Vietnamese oud now. I recognize it from one of his others. I get dry cedar and pencil shavings with a little bit of sweetness. I think some of the vanilla is still hanging around. I never buy a bottle of something unless I love it from beginning to end, but I do like this after the first 45 minutes.

Not too many comments about the newest releases. Are people still waiting for there samples they bought direct?
    Currently wearing: Moss Cologne by Bortnikoff

I've recently received three samples - Bonheur, Mysterious Oud, Coup de Foudre. Anyone like these?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklow View Post
    I’ve had a couple sprays of Sans Fleurs on my forearm for two hours now. I still think the opening blast of booze is off putting, but I’m rather enjoying the Vietnamese oud now. I recognize it from one of his others. I get dry cedar and pencil shavings with a little bit of sweetness. I think some of the vanilla is still hanging around. I never buy a bottle of something unless I love it from beginning to end, but I do like this after the first 45 minutes.

Not too many comments about the newest releases. Are people still waiting for there samples they bought direct?
    Very quiet regarding reviews of this release set....do you think he is releasing too many too often?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I've recently received three samples - Bonheur, Mysterious Oud, Coup de Foudre. Anyone like these?
    I've tried Mysterious Oud and really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Sampling Coup de Foudre right now. Citrus, green, and florals is what I'm getting early on.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Yep, bought a 30ml bottle of Bonheur when it came out 2 or so years ago. Mysterious Oud was nice as well but at that time my decision went towards Oud Maximus. Coup de Foudre I didn't like at that tine but I'd like to test it again, as my tastes have changed a bit since then, so I might like it now.

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Tosef View Post
    Yep, bought a 30ml bottle of Bonheur when it came out 2 or so years ago. Mysterious Oud was nice as well but at that time my decision went towards Oud Maximus. Coup de Foudre I didn't like at that tine but I'd like to test it again, as my tastes have changed a bit since then, so I might like it now.
    Sampling Bortnikoff Bonheur right now, not sure what to make of it at the moment - A dark scent.

Sampling Bortnikoff Bonheur right now, not sure what to make of it at the moment - A dark scent.
    Bonheur still one of my absolute favorites from the house. Have 1ml left of rations.

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Bonheur still one of my absolute favorites from the house. Have 1ml left of rations.
    What do you think of it?

Without looking at the notes, I'm thinking some amber, resins, spices, and woods.

Basenotes Plus

What do you think of it?

Without looking at the notes, I'm thinking some amber, resins, spices, and woods.
    Spicy ambergris. Very well done.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I just applied this one to my other arm just a minute ago. The opening is a bit bold, I do pick out an animalic feel to it.

Basenotes Plus

Bonheur? Icy clove! Mossy and resinous for sure...

From these Bonheur I enjoyed the most.

Interesting. I personally never find Bonheur a 'dark scent'. Spicy indeed but also uplifting in the opening with the citrus elements. I said before tho, Bonheur is a perfect Christmas scent for me.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    Bonheur? Icy clove! Mossy and resinous for sure...
    Oh I can get behind this brilliant perspective. I certainly get that cold spice experience. Bonheur is still Bortnikoff’s best IMO.

Page 87 of 92 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast