Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Noir Anthracite - not long for this world?

Yesterday I gave my first full wearing to Tom Ford Noir Anthracite and I really loved it. I can't remember being this excited about a new designer release. But ... it seems like the type of fragrance that will be beloved by aficionados and met with disinterest/disdain by Joe Q. CologneGuy. As such, I'm betting it gets discontinued before too long. What do you guys think?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Noir Anthracite - not long for this world?

Quote Originally Posted by ScentMemory View Post
    Yesterday I gave my first full wearing to Tom Ford Noir Anthracite and I really loved it. I can't remember being this excited about a new designer release. But ... it seems like the type of fragrance that will be beloved by aficionados and met with disinterest/disdain by Joe Q. CologneGuy. As such, I'm betting it gets discontinued before too long. What do you guys think?
    Perhaps, but that's okay. Get stock while you can. Perhaps a similar situation with Gucci Guilty Absolute.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Junkie

I'm not so sure. I think it hits a sweet spot. Having said that, it would good if the prices could come down a bit.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

OP - Glad you like and enjoy it. Wasn't for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

I like it, it had to grow on me though. I hope it's around long enough for me to find a well priced bottle.

Default Noir Anthracite - not long for this world?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    OP - Glad you like and enjoy it. Wasn't for me.
    I agree with both statements.

Banned

Backed it up before a most likely reform!

Perhaps. But after the success of Tuscan leather, I think that perfumes like this tend to pop up here and there quite often.

cacio

I like these more obscure Tom Fords. My favorite Tom Ford is Vert des Bois... another one that I'm worried they'll can.

I eluded to this on another thread where someone was trying to decide between Noir and Noir Anthracite. I don't see this being around long either. IMO, it's actually a bit unpleasant smelling.

Tom Ford has not discontinued scents on short notice generally. Last one I recall was Sahara Noir, which was mis-marketed. Anthracite I don't see going away any time soon.

Basenotes Plus

I gave this another sniffing today after some more about it, and yeah, it does remind me of Azzaro Pour Homme, haha.

This one is a pass for me, I think. Not bad, but APH isn't quite my style.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

I like Anthracite, but I’m looking to get it at a certain juice level and specific price point, with no luck yet. But in the meantime I found a cheapie called Sandstone that smells just like Anthracite to me, and got it for $11. Of course it doesn’t last near as long, but at that price, I just keep spraying freely!

I'd be more concerned about TF Extreme getting the axe as it's distribution already seems limited and it gets very little lip service. IMHO, it's the best of the regular line and better than a lot of the private blends.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Perhaps, but that's okay. Get stock while you can. Perhaps a similar situation with Gucci Guilty Absolute.
    Yeah, that's what I plan to do. I rotate fragrances so much that a full bottle would last me many years.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    I'm not so sure. I think it hits a sweet spot. Having said that, it would good if the prices could come down a bit.
    Yes! I'm hoping it will have hit the discounters by next fall.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I eluded to this on another thread where someone was trying to decide between Noir and Noir Anthracite. I don't see this being around long either. IMO, it's actually a bit unpleasant smelling.
    I think a good percentage of people share your opinion, which is why I can't see it sticking around for too long.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    I like Anthracite, but I’m looking to get it at a certain juice level and specific price point, with no luck yet. But in the meantime I found a cheapie called Sandstone that smells just like Anthracite to me, and got it for $11. Of course it doesn’t last near as long, but at that price, I just keep spraying freely!
    Nice! What brand is that? Some quick googling didn't turn anything up ...

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    I gave this another sniffing today after some more about it, and yeah, it does remind me of Azzaro Pour Homme, haha.

This one is a pass for me, I think. Not bad, but APH isn't quite my style.
    Azzaro--interesting! I don't get that, but then again it kind of reminds me of Eucris--I have a feeling I'm in the minority there.

Preferred Fragrance. If you have a Big Lots in your area, you can pick this up for $3.50. I was curious and picked this one up too. As I said in another thread, to me it smells like standing in a brush field in the middle of August. Very herbaceous. Can't wait to sample the real thing.

Basenotes Junkie

Yes! I'm hoping it will have hit the discounters by next fall.
    It's already at discounters, but it hasn't dropped enough for me to warrant a full bottle purchase. $81.89 for 50 ml through Fragrancenet is still a little steep for Anthracite to me.

I never did see the brand or house when I bought it, I guess someone else said Preferred Fragrance or something like that. I found it on eBay when I searched Anthracite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    I never did see the brand or house when I bought it, I guess someone else said Preferred Fragrance or something like that. I found it on eBay when I searched Anthracite.
    Wouldn't exactly call it a "house" - they make impressions of designer frags and sell them mostly through dollar and discount stores. They've been sued several times because their packaging is made to look similar to the original designers. They're priced a bit higher than the ultra-cheapies you'd find at Dollar Tree by EAD which sell for a buck. I'd say PF is similar in quality to the Belcam "Classic Match" brand.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Sabianman1 View Post
    It's already at discounters, but it hasn't dropped enough for me to warrant a full bottle purchase. $81.89 for 50 ml through Fragrancenet is still a little steep for Anthracite to me.
    Cool! I didn't realize it was already there. I'd probably spring for the 50 at $80.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    Wouldn't exactly call it a "house" - they make impressions of designer frags and sell them mostly through dollar and discount stores. They've been sued several times because their packaging is made to look similar to the original designers. They're priced a bit higher than the ultra-cheapies you'd find at Dollar Tree by EAD which sell for a buck. I'd say PF is similar in quality to the Belcam "Classic Match" brand.
    I'll have to give this a try if I come across it. Haven't really had any experience with clones/knock-offs.

I just found this website that sells PF and I'm getting a good laugh at some of the fragrance names. They're either references to the nature of the scent itself (e.g., Green Adventure for Polo), synonyms (e.g., Maritime Passage for Nautica Voyage), or alliteration/assonance (e.g., Dark Oasis for Drakkar Essence). I bet their copywriters have a lot of fun.

I love this scent. I don't wear it in public that much though. Its different than most easy to find fragrances out right now. This stuff is serious. I can't stress how confident this fragrance makes me feel. Im a pretty confident dude but this shit right here. I swear my chest hair grows a few millimeters per application.
    Currently wearing: Aventus Cologne by Creed

My favorite way to wear Anthracite is layered with a very light dose of other TF scents that veer a bit too feminine for my comfort level e.g., Noir de Noir or TF Noir pour Femme. Amazing when combined with one of these!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    I'd be more concerned about TF Extreme getting the axe as it's distribution already seems limited and it gets very little lip service. IMHO, it's the best of the regular line and better than a lot of the private blends.
    That is a good point. Even if neither are discontinued, I can see Anthracite following Extreme's trajectory in terms of pricing and availability: TFFME never did come down in price by much, even though its not a Private Blend. Like Anthracite, it has a distinctive personality and is respected by scent fans, but doesn't have the mass-appeal factor. I actually see bit of a parallel between them scent wise at certain points in their evolutions.

Anyway, if Anthracite's market presence goes the same way, expect availability to taper while prices continue to hover around $80-100 for 50ml.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 20th June 2018 at 11:03 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Jowan View Post
    I love this scent. I don't wear it in public that much though. Its different than most easy to find fragrances out right now. This stuff is serious. I can't stress how confident this fragrance makes me feel. Im a pretty confident dude but this shit right here. I swear my chest hair grows a few millimeters per application.
    Yeah. It's one of only a handful of scents that I'd describe without hesitation as "badass."

I'll have to give this a try if I come across it. Haven't really had any experience with clones/knock-offs.

I just found this website that sells PF and I'm getting a good laugh at some of the fragrance names. They're either references to the nature of the scent itself (e.g., Green Adventure for Polo), synonyms (e.g., Maritime Passage for Nautica Voyage), or alliteration/assonance (e.g., Dark Oasis for Drakkar Essence). I bet their copywriters have a lot of fun.
    Some of the Drakkar knock-offs out there have great names.. "Akthar Noir" "Tarragon Noir" "Adios Noir"

One of the funniest ones is Belcam's version of Gucci Guilty called "Deception"