Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Di Ser

Default Re: Di Ser

Quote Originally Posted by j.zheyii View Post
    I'm getting a bottle as well just from your description of it, along with travel sprays of Kurokami and Hasu no ito, as I am really interested in exploring floral and oud based scents from this house. Can't wait to try them for myself.
    Wow, I’m jealous...especially of your Hasunoito. That was one of those “creeper” fragrances. It took me a few times wearing it to understand it, but once I did, it blew my mind. Really beautiful and unique stuff. Wish I could afford a bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    I purchased a sample of Kyara. Although I can smell the relationship to actual Kyara the entire composition was overwhelmed by a green rose or geranium note that I just couldn’t get past. Interested to hear what others have experienced with this one. It actually reminded me a bit of my experience with patchouli sublime (different house).
    I wanted to revisit the above post after two additional luckyscent sample vials followed by a test from the actual 33ml spray bottle. I found both of the splash samples consistent with my observations above. A strong rose note is also mentioned in the luckyscent review:

“A massive, gauzy rose note swells up behind the green kyara opening, fleshing out the kyara into a luminous rose-oud concerto against a spicy-woody backdrop that feels like powdered ginger root diffused in sunlight.“

Now, interestingly, when I tested this fragrance via the 33ml spray the rose was much more subdued.

Anyway not sure anyone else will find this useful but it did help me reconcile the differing perceptions of this particular fragrance. And of course our subjective opinions can always diverge and still be accurate.

I used to live in Japan and still hold that experience to be one of the best times of my life and have very strong, nostalgic memories associated with typical Japanese scents. Naturally, I'm very curious about this house and did smell a bit when I went to Scentbar.

Is the longevity that terrible? That's the only thing that is stopping me from making some purchases. Longevity is pretty important to me in fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    I used to live in Japan and still hold that experience to be one of the best times of my life and have very strong, nostalgic memories associated with typical Japanese scents. Naturally, I'm very curious about this house and did smell a bit when I went to Scentbar.

Is the longevity that terrible? That's the only thing that is stopping me from making some purchases. Longevity is pretty important to me in fragrances.
    I lived in Okinawa for five years, so I totally understand and agree with your thoughts. The EDPs are shorter lived, but the extraits fo last a long time. Unfortunately, the extraits are in the $250+ range.

All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.

Quote Originally Posted by SydnorIII View Post
    I lived in Okinawa for five years, so I totally understand and agree with your thoughts. The EDPs are shorter lived, but the extraits fo last a long time. Unfortunately, the extraits are in the $250+ range.

I'm not too concerned with price. I am unlikely to buy Kyara or Sasora, but that is because oud typically does not work well on my skin so that isn't worth it for me. Are there other non oud extraits you'd recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    I'm not too concerned with price. I am unlikely to buy Kyara or Sasora, but that is because oud typically does not work well on my skin so that isn't worth it for me. Are there other non oud extraits you'd recommend?
    Adameku and Kurokami are both great

SOTD: Kyara by Di Ser. I've never had the pleasure of smelling heated kyara/kinam grade agarwood chips, so I dont know whether this is an accurate representation of it. Regardless, this is an exceptional fragrance that opens with strong menthol and camphor (that stays for the life of the perfume), with one of the cleanist agarwood accords ive experienced. There is a gentle and delicate rose in the background (but its certainly not a rose-oud combo). I dont get much of the listed patchouli.

Its a difficult fragrance to put into words - everything about it just feels "pure" and makes you feel pure. Longevity is a little confusing - there are stages (approx 3 hrs in) where i barely notice the scent on my skin anymore; and then a few hours later it starts to rear up again and i can smell it like ive just sprayed it on. Stays noticeable on clothing much longer than skin.

Its expensive (at approx USD1,200 for 33ml) - but there is something about that keeps drawing me back to it
    Currently wearing: Kyara by Di Ser

Big Bump. Kurokami is available for the first time in the USA on luckyscent. I picked it up and LOVE it. Here’s my review:

SOTD today is Kurokami!

I’m leaving for the yearly grape harvest this coming Monday, and wanted to get myself a a gift in preparation. This is what I splurged for, and I could not be more elated. Harvest can be a bit of a mental health marathon; I’ll use this regularly to clear my head as the shifts get longer, and the days grow shorter.

Frankly, this has jumped into contention as one of, if not my favorite scents in my collection, competing waft for waft with Bortnikoff’s Triad, but where Triad zeros in on a contemplative rose de mai/ oud combination, this perfume perfects an entirely new composition of rose for me.

Kurokami starts on my skin with clean, juicy, and herbal clementines, grapefruits, and oranges, but quickly opens up into an airy, creamy, rose masterpiece. The Japanese rose absolute and rose otto are more ethereal, visceral, and mysterious than a typical rose, and, to me, smell akin to a cloud of purple and white rose petals, with a distinct lack of pink rose, floating peacefully in the air next to me.

As Kurokami dries down, the palisander and sandalwood really start to show their faces. Throughout the day, I have been greeted with wafts of white woods and rose whenever my skin moves through the air, or heats up.

I also cannot believe how long this is lasting on my skin. I’m going into hour 6, and Kurokami is humming along perfectly. This is certainly a mentally cleansing and healing perfume.

Cheers!
    Current Favorites: Notes from Underground, Iris Noir

All Is Beautiful

I am growing intrigued with his house.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I am growing intrigued with his house.
    Great stuff Di Ser! There are a couple that I love for warmer weather. The oud-based scents are incredible for the most part, but far to pricey for me to buy full bottles.

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    Great stuff Di Ser! There are a couple that I love for warmer weather. The oud-based scents are incredible for the most part, but far to pricey for me to buy full bottles.
    Thank you!
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

I’ve tried all the new stuff from Di Ser, including Hana Matsuri today. Wow.

The other ones that sent me for a loop were Kagiroi and the newer lavender focused one, kanami. Damn that stuff was good. Very refined and black tie feeling.

The other ones that sent me for a loop were Kagiroi and the newer lavender focused one, kanami. Damn that stuff was good. Very refined and black tie feeling.
    Where were you able to sample these? As far as I'm aware, LuckyScent is the only US distributor, and they don't have Kanami yet. I don't see Hana Matsuri on the Di Ser site, even.

The description of Kanami sounds great. I really enjoy the treatment of lavender in Sola.
    Currently wearing: Akanesasu by Di Ser

This is fantastic! I'm really looking forward to these, it's super cool that you were able to get your hands on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed_Or_Alive View Post
    Where were you able to sample these? As far as I'm aware, LuckyScent is the only US distributor, and they don't have Kanami yet. I don't see Hana Matsuri on the Di Ser site, even.

The description of Kanami sounds great. I really enjoy the treatment of lavender in Sola.
    I am blessed with good friends in Japan :-)

Sola is wonderful, but Kanami really wowed me with the richness and depth!

Quote Originally Posted by qja View Post
    This is fantastic! I'm really looking forward to these, it's super cool that you were able to get your hands on them.

I feel lucky to have sampled them!
    Last edited by SydnorIII; 15th May 2021 at 07:48 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Whenever I wear Kagiroi I crave an unhealthy amount of ume shiso onigiri.
    Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
    Currently wearing: Santalum by Profumum

I feel lucky to have sampled them! Unless I misheard, I believe some (if not all) will be available at Luckyscent in August.
    Great news, thanks for the heads up. Can't wait to them.
    Currently wearing: Akanesasu by Di Ser

Quote Originally Posted by scenting prey View Post
    Whenever I wear Kagiroi I crave an unhealthy amount of ume shiso onigiri.
    I'm so sorry, but the correct answer was tuna/mayo onigiri

I feel lucky to have sampled them! Unless I misheard, I believe some (if not all) will be available at Luckyscent in August.
    That's good to know, I'll keep an eye out for them then

Had never heard of Hana Matsuri, what is the profile like? I'm really curious to try Tzusumi Boshi - I feel that cardamom in a Di Ser fragrance might be right up my alley. Agree that Kanami is beautiful, although I personally prefer Sola (which is probably in my top 10 overall fragrances, it's so very good).
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

By the name alone it promises be quite floral, as in a festival of flowers. I’d be surprised if it was too literal like cherry blossom overload since there is also a ceremonial observance behind it all not just ohanami. Then again adameku is rather fruity. Depends on who they are aiming the frag at maybe.
    Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
    Currently wearing: Santalum by Profumum

Basenotes Plus

Anyone care to educate me on their favorites here among:

Kurokami
    Sola
    Mizu
    Tsuki

I am looking to try out this house and also looking for something other than TdH and Vetiver Geranium to round out my lighter summer scents.

I will probably snag a bottle of Rook's Undergrowth as well, but want to try a Di Ser.

I dislike sweeter scents, but the combinations and reviews I've seen for DS are interesting. TIA for any input.

Would also love thoughts on average time to reapply, as many of these seem fleeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Singularious View Post

Kurokami
    Sola
    Mizu
    Tsuki

I am looking to try out this house and also looking for something other than TdH and Vetiver Geranium to round out my lighter summer scents.

I will probably snag a bottle of Rook's Undergrowth as well, but want to try a Di Ser.

I dislike sweeter scents, but the combinations and reviews I've seen for DS are interesting. TIA for any input.

Would also love thoughts on average time to reapply, as many of these seem fleeting.
    Good call on trying these for summer wear, they are fantastic for that purpose! Mizu and Sola are my most worn Di Sers. If it's for highest summer heat, and you are sensitive to sweetness, Mizu is safe for blind buying while you'd probably want to sample Sola first. It's got the most beautiful floral sweetness (lavender/jasmine) which even though it is not indolic or thick might not be up your alley. I reapply Mizu after four hours, Sola lasts a bit longer but I always end up re-spraying before it's gone just to get the absolutely lovely opening again. OK, that's what I'm wearing tomorrow. Thanks!

Neither Kurokami (green, ethereal rose) or Tsuki (mentholated spicy citrus) were keepers for me.
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by avrora View Post
    Good call on trying these for summer wear, they are fantastic for that purpose! Mizu and Sola are my most worn Di Sers. If it's for highest summer heat, and you are sensitive to sweetness, Mizu is safe for blind buying while you'd probably want to sample Sola first. It's got the most beautiful floral sweetness (lavender/jasmine) which even though it is not indolic or thick might not be up your alley. I reapply Mizu after four hours, Sola lasts a bit longer but I always end up re-spraying before it's gone just to get the absolutely lovely opening again. OK, that's what I'm wearing tomorrow. Thanks!

Neither Kurokami (green, ethereal rose) or Tsuki (mentholated spicy citrus) were keepers for me.
    As always, avrora, thank you.

I am planning on ordering from Luckyscent here Stateside, so I should be able to snag a couple of samples alongside what will probably be Mizu.

I haven't met a lavender I don't like yet, but yeah, jasmine can be anywhere from magical to suffocating for me.

Again, thank you. Eager to hear more from others as well. I've been ignoring this house and Agar Aura for too long. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Singularious View Post

Kurokami
    Sola
    Mizu
    Tsuki

Tried Mizu a long time ago and Sola more recently. Mizu was quite nice - minty, a little woody, citrusy - but it performed very poorly on me. It was pretty much gone after about two hours which is a deal-breaker for me. Sola seems to perform better, although I just got a sample so I haven't tested it extensively. It kind of reminds me of jasmine tea but any tannic/bitter qualities have been smoothed out. Both have a great yuzu note if you're into that. Wouldn't deem either of them to be sweet except for perhaps Sola in the very opening.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by vapor-ambient View Post
    Tried Mizu a long time ago and Sola more recently. Mizu was quite nice - minty, a little woody, citrusy - but it performed very poorly on me. It was pretty much gone after about two hours which is a deal-breaker for me. Sola seems to perform better, although I just got a sample so I haven't tested it extensively. It kind of reminds me of jasmine tea but any tannic/bitter qualities have been smoothed out. Both have a great yuzu note if you're into that. Wouldn't deem either of them to be sweet except for perhaps Sola in the very opening.
    Thank you! Yuzu is one of my fav citrus notes. I used it at home in some of my own blends as well.

And thanks for the heads up on the longevity of Mizu. It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts on me. It is always odd which scents "stick" on me and which don't. Can't seem to make sense of it sometimes. I am going to ask for samples of Kurokami, Sola and Tsuki as well. We'll see what they actually send me.

Really appreciate the input!

Excluding Kyara - my two reasonably priced favourites are:

1/ Shiragoromo: Oud, yuzu, jasmine and rose. This is an excellent supplement for those not wanting to spend 1000+ on Kyara. There are some subtle similarities. I find that this is the only perfume I can comfortably wear to a Japanese omakase (Im based in Korea) where perfume wearing is generally discouraged. This is the epitome of cleanliness and clarity. The oud (I believe it is Jinko that is used) is somewhat medical but ultra clean and pure.

2/ Kazehikaru: for me a very atmospheric perfume. The name means glowing wind (or something very similar) - and its extraordinary that I get that feeling and sensation when wearing it. Its as if the notes swirl around you in a warm wind. Incredible perfume. Absolutely brilliant in spring.

Surprisingly I don't like Sola - and I'm a big lavender fan. Its the lemongrass that puts me off. I realise that lemongrass reminds me of cheap massage oil in Thailand...

Edit: And why is this thread in the male fragrances channel?
    Currently wearing: Kyara by Di Ser

Does anyone know how to sample or buy the newer Di ser like Kanami? I can’t seem to find any mention of vendors getting them.
    Currently wearing: Musc by Bruno Acampora

Any proper reviews of Hana Matsuri?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast