Code of Conduct
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: Zoologist - Thoughts and Comments

Quote Originally Posted by MuskyCat View Post
    I do see your perspective, but I don't think the housing is trying to be the next Guerlain or Caron by any means. There's a similar vibe to Penhaligon's with the animal bottles, except Zoologist doesn't try to weave a narrative or personalities with its perfumes. I get some people can find that distasteful or not how they want to present.
    "Poorly composed" is a tad unfair when there's great perfumers like Prin Lomros and Antonio Gardoni among others working for the house but having smelled their personal creations perhaps they are limited by Victor's insistence that the house be IFRA-compliant. Gardoni uses a lot of natural civet in his personal work, its almost a signature material of his.
    Ironically if you want to talk about synthetic and redundant, guerlain post 1980 has got you covered with more flankers than god himself knows what to do with, and synthetic cocktails as far as the eye can see. Yet they are still an amazing house. Which I guess leaves the idea of poor compositions, but as you said I generally don’t agree with this statement the most.
    The synthetic character of some of the works is I think rightly pointed out by you as being limited by the focus on IFRA compliance, but not enough to discredit even the minority of the houses releases
    YT: Jess AndWesH

I do see your perspective, but I don't think the housing is trying to be the next Guerlain or Caron by any means. There's a similar vibe to Penhaligon's with the animal bottles, except Zoologist doesn't try to weave a narrative or personalities with its perfumes. I get some people can find that distasteful or not how they want to present.
    "Poorly composed" is a tad unfair when there's great perfumers like Prin Lomros and Antonio Gardoni among others working for the house but having smelled their personal creations perhaps they are limited by Victor's insistence that the house be IFRA-compliant. Gardoni uses a lot of natural civet in his personal work, its almost a signature material of his.
    Hey, thanks for chiming in.

I have to confess that my stance on this house is based on their initial releases (I had already checked out of this hobby before Gardoni got involved). Whether or not this house has improved over the years, it’s not really possible for me to verify with the current pandemic. However, what I can say is that the first eight or so fragrances left me very underwhelmed. I also feel very strongly against niche houses that churn out releases like a dog delivering puppies (it’s also a prime reason why I took a sabbatical from this hobby).

Btw, anyone who thinks I’m against the use of synthetics is very wrong. Most fragrances incorporate synthetic to a certain degree but how they’re employed makes a huge difference. In addition, with Zoologist, using synthetics to replicate the complexities of animal musk isn’t going to satisfy those who have experienced real animal musk. I have no desire to go into the ethics of it all but that is another important factor for not warming-up to this house.

And one last thing, the packaging concept sucks! I’m sorry but I have no desire to own a fragrance that reminds me of a Wind in the Willows picture book (hence my juvenile reference earlier in this thread). But, hey, that’s my personal tastes whether anyone here likes it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Hey, thanks for chiming in.

I have to confess that my stance on this house is based on their initial releases (I had already checked out of this hobby before Gardoni got involved). Whether or not this house has improved over the years, it’s not really possible for me to verify with the current pandemic. However, what I can say is that the first eight or so fragrances left me very underwhelmed. I also feel very strongly against niche houses that churn out releases like a dog delivering puppies (it’s also a prime reason why I took a sabbatical from this hobby).

Btw, anyone who thinks I’m against the use of synthetics is very wrong. Most fragrances incorporate synthetic to a certain degree but how they’re employed makes a huge difference. In addition, with Zoologist, using synthetics to replicate the complexities of animal musk isn’t going to satisfy those who have experienced real animal musk. I have no desire to go into the ethics of it all but that is another important factor for not warming-up to this house.

And one last thing, the packaging concept sucks! I’m sorry but I have no desire to own a fragrance that reminds me of a Wind in the Willows picture book (hence my juvenile reference earlier in this thread). But, hey, that’s my personal tastes whether anyone here likes it or not.
    Seems like the only thing that isn't just a matter of taste alone (like speed of release and imagery) is based on a misunderstanding of the fragrances themselves. Zoologist, with the exception of the most recent release (Musk Deer) and Hyrax (which uses real Hyraceum) I don't think Zoologist has ever said they are trying to "replicate the complexities of animal musk."
    Victor in fact has spoken of his work often being "inspired by animal habitats" or "being about the meditative mood that said animal often elicits in people." Yet, when one looks at their 'animalic note' perfumes, one notices that they only incorporate elements from the musk, like in Beaver's release notes where it states "we also introduced a light leather note, an attribute of the real castoreum musk." Thus, even in the relationship to a musk note, more often than not they are merely highlighting elements of a note and are not seeking to replicate it in all of its complexities. Their perfumes are related to "their habitats, behaviours and looks." Even when you see Victor talking on here about his work, when he speaks of the 'animalic' perfumes in his line, they are not spoken about as if 'recreating' an animalic musk as it would be by itself. He has in fact spoken of 'musk' perfumes, and often includes things like 'Dodo' which of course doesn't have a real musk note to relate to it.
    Hope this helps.

(quoted deleted post.)

I’m sorry, maybe I misunderstood.
    Care to explain what you meant by “with Zoologist, using synthetics to replicate the complexities of animal musk isn’t going to satisfy those who have experienced real animal musk”?
    Last edited by foxbins; 25th January 2021 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Removed quote from deleted post.

Trebor and Shadowartisttxl--stop these interactions. It appears that you two have different opinions about Zoologist and that's fine. Might I remind the two of you that there is an "ignore" function, and I suggest the two of you use it.

If the thread can't get back to civil discussion I will close it.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Hyrax might have real hyraceum but practically everything else around it smells so synthetic, fake and artificial. Inluding some strong ACs leaning alcoholish, and I don't mean the whiskey note. Such a cloying fragrance. Terrible.

Civet has a clear global fakeness, kind of gummy-candyish, and Camel has some ACs that bother me on some wears, but at least these two fragrances are good.

The other one I've tried is T-Rex and I don't get anything fake or artificial with this one. But I have the feeling that T-Rex is a rara avis in the entire collection.

So I understand Trebor when he says that these perfumes are too synthetic. After testing these 4 I've decided that this house is not for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by divad8 View Post
    Hyrax might have real hyraceum but practically everything else around it smells so synthetic, fake and artificial. Inluding some strong ACs leaning alcoholish, and I don't mean the whiskey note. Such a cloying fragrance. Terrible.

Civet has a clear global fakeness, kind of gummy-candyish, and Camel has some ACs that bother me on some wears, but at least these two fragrances are good.

The other one I've tried is T-Rex and I don't get anything fake or artificial with this one. But I have the feeling that T-Rex is a rara avis in the entire collection.

So I understand Trebor when he says that these perfumes are too synthetic. After testing these 4 I've decided that this house is not for me either.
    Yeah I understand the synthetic character too - actually one of the biggest notes in T Rex (rose oxide) is technically a synthetic. I don’t think zoologist is typically that abrasive with its synthetics, but synthetics are tricky in that some of them can set some people off more than others. Sorry to hear they don’t work well for you though.
    Last edited by Shadowartisttxl; 25th January 2021 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    Trebor and Shadowartisttxl--stop these interactions. It appears that you two have different opinions about Zoologist and that's fine.
    Might I remind the two of you that there is an "ignore" function, and I suggest the two of you use it.
    If the thread can't get back to civil discussion I will close it.
    Please don't close the thread if folks can't accept one another's' opinion.
    One gets to see Victor's comments in real time and I look forward to that.
    Why are rest of us being punished, if two people conduct in a manner not acceptable to the forum?

By the way, good to know the world is still full of synthetics in perfumes...

After smelling Bogue's MEM and Maai, its interesting to think how T-rex could be if released under Bogue, with natural civet. T-rex is almost a bit flat compared to them. Sloth has a very yucky synthetic musk that smells dirty in a flat way, like kid's scratch 'n' sniff books (I had one and that musk takes me right back ).

Another weird thing is Sloth "falls apart" on my skin, thats something other people have noticed with Squid too. I don't get a homogenous blend, I get the incense ink and ambroxan all separate I wonder why that is. Its gross though because in Sloth it means I get that stinky fake musk separately too, maybe if it was buried a bit better I wouldn't mind it.

Basenotes Member Zoologist Perfumes's Avatar

As a fragrance enthusiast, I understand people’s reactions to my perfumes – love, hate, indifferent, unwearable, actually wearable, brilliant illustration, stupid juvenile illustration and perfume names, all in between. I am just lucky that my hobby has turned into something much bigger than I had anticipated and enough sales to allow me keep going and improving.

It’s easy to say that perfume is subjective, but I would never say my first few perfumes don’t have rough edges. Those who love commercial perfumes might find the original few very hard to swallow, after all, they are designed by indie perfumers of various perfumery skill, style and taste, limited by time constraint, and my competency as a fragrance editor, and knowledge in the fragrance industry.

If you gave up Zoologist after smelling the first 10 releases, you might be surprised to learn that the more recent releases are more approachable, because they are designed by professionally trained perfumers from IFF and independent professional perfumers. Some are still designed by indie perfumers, but my evaluation and editing skill, in my opinion, have improved over the years to prevent me from having regrets of releasing them, and longing to redesign them again. If you still hate them all, maybe the house style is not for you.

As to why Zoologist releases perfumes so frequently, it’s because this little brand has attracted quite a few perfumers to create perfumes for me, and there is a big backlog of perfumes already done. If I release only one perfume a year, it could be very disrespectful to have the perfumers wait 5 or 10 years to see their work finally released. Life is short, I am approaching 50 years old, in maybe 10 years Zoologist will end and what’s left are reviews of my perfumes on Fragrantica and bottles missing-a-few-sprays on Ebay, so I am indulging myself to get as many perfumes that I think are interesting published.

Cheers

cabin fever sufferer

You keep doing what you do, Victor! You've got my support and admiration.
    Currently wearing: Autumn by Dasein

MD > LA > NYC > Chicago > MSP > NYC > LA > Seattle

Thanks for the thoughtful and humble response, VIctor.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by Zoologist Perfumes View Post
    As a fragrance enthusiast, I understand people’s reactions to my perfumes – love, hate, indifferent, unwearable, actually wearable, brilliant illustration, stupid juvenile illustration and perfume names, all in between. I am just lucky that my hobby has turned into something much bigger than I had anticipated and enough sales to allow me keep going and improving.

It’s easy to say that perfume is subjective, but I would never say my first few perfumes don’t have rough edges. Those who love commercial perfumes might find the original few very hard to swallow, after all, they are designed by indie perfumers of various perfumery skill, style and taste, limited by time constraint, and my competency as a fragrance editor, and knowledge in the fragrance industry.

If you gave up Zoologist after smelling the first 10 releases, you might be surprised to learn that the more recent releases are more approachable, because they are designed by professionally trained perfumers from IFF and independent professional perfumers. Some are still designed by indie perfumers, but my evaluation and editing skill, in my opinion, have improved over the years to prevent me from having regrets of releasing them, and longing to redesign them again. If you still hate them all, maybe the house style is not for you.

As to why Zoologist releases perfumes so frequently, it’s because this little brand has attracted quite a few perfumers to create perfumes for me, and there is a big backlog of perfumes already done. If I release only one perfume a year, it could be very disrespectful to have the perfumers wait 5 or 10 years to see their work finally released. Life is short, I am approaching 50 years old, in maybe 10 years Zoologist will end and what’s left are reviews of my perfumes on Fragrantica and bottles missing-a-few-sprays on Ebay, so I am indulging myself to get as many perfumes that I think are interesting published.

Cheers
    A fantastic work which I appreciate a lot, keep going on.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Cheers
    There is a very good point in here about production - because Zoologist commissions different perfumers, it isn't the same as say Prin (whom I love), churning out 12 fragrances in a year. There's no reason to assume that each fragrance Zoologist releases represents a trade-off in quality/effort/creativity as if they were all coming from the same person.

On a side-note, is the debate between Trebor and Shadowartisttxl really at the level of incivility that we have to potentially shut this thread down? No one is calling the other a Nazi or making personal attacks, it's just a spirited disagreement in which one person feels free to express their opinion in any way they choose, and the other is challenging them to back it up with a more thoughtful critique. If this isn't the place for it, then where?

People get bothered by debate nowadays and are just too sensitive.

At the expense of sounding like a broken record, I for one would love another 'rough around the edges' scent. All in all Ive chosen the few that I enjoy and agree with most others sentiments in here about the brand. Curious and will be watching from afar.

Basenotes Member Zoologist Perfumes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sipy63 View Post
    At the expense of sounding like a broken record, I for one would love another 'rough around the edges' scent. All in all Ive chosen the few that I enjoy and agree with most others sentiments in here about the brand. Curious and will be watching from afar.
    I wouldn't mind releasing polarizing scents, but not "rough around the edges". There is a fine line and I am still learning to master.

The new Dodo is one of my favourites and many people think it's rough, but I find it very smooth, complex and addictive. So is Tomoo Inaba's Moth to me. He has finished another insect-themed scent for Zoologist, and it's a power house like the predecessors. However, it won't be released in 2021… maybe 2023.

I wouldn't mind releasing polarizing scents, but not "rough around the edges". There is a fine line and I am still learning to master.

The new Dodo is one of my favourites and many people think it's rough, but I find it very smooth, complex and addictive. So is Tomoo Inaba's Moth to me. He has finished another insect-themed scent for Zoologist, and it's a power house like the predecessors. However, it won't be released in 2021… maybe 2023.
    Thanks for the tip Victor!
    I actually quite like Moth as well. Have yet to try the new Dodo though. I found v1 very interesting. Having worked with animals all my life the bird cage association was STRONG.

I actually made a response to the same question asked on reddit. Here's what I wrote, "Hello, some might not know that Zoologist is a one-person company. I bottle and pack each bottle and I do all the online store fulfillment and retail order fulfillment. Recently sales are actually so good that I could not handle both. A lot of stores have been waiting, so I decide to close my store for a month to focus on their orders."

-Victor
    Victor, you know what I found the best part of my order with you? The hand-written note where you wrote „Thank you for ordering again“ and my name. So not only did you take the time to write a thank you note personally, you remembered that I already ordered and am a returning customer.

At first I thought „oh nice, but they must have that in the system“, and you probably do, but I find the time and dedication put into it - especially now, knowing you‘re a one person company (I did not know that before), admirable.

Keep it up and keep doing what you do. You make the perfume world a better place for many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life is short, I am approaching 50 years old, in maybe 10 years Zoologist will end and what’s left are reviews of my perfumes on Fragrantica and bottles missing-a-few-sprays on Ebay, so I am indulging myself to get as many perfumes that I think are interesting published
    This is very poignant, it would be nice if the Zoologist legacy could live on in one form or another, even if only the "highlights" of the house with others being special limited releases.

After smelling Bogue's MEM and Maai, its interesting to think how T-rex could be if released under Bogue, with natural civet. T-rex is almost a bit flat compared to them. Sloth has a very yucky synthetic musk that smells dirty in a flat way, like kid's scratch 'n' sniff books (I had one and that musk takes me right back ).

Another weird thing is Sloth "falls apart" on my skin, thats something other people have noticed with Squid too. I don't get a homogenous blend, I get the incense ink and ambroxan all separate I wonder why that is. Its gross though because in Sloth it means I get that stinky fake musk separately too, maybe if it was buried a bit better I wouldn't mind it.
    I can’t say I find T Rex in any way flat but have you tried LiTA from Bogue? It might scratch a T Rex sized itch in a different way if you find something missing in that one!

Also I thought david8’s point about nothing smelling artificial in T Rex is quite funny with that dose of Rose Oxide that will still be noticeable after our sun dies out. Maybe divad8 just means that nothing seems out of place compositionally— ie a synthetic smelling synthetic is fine in the right context.

I also think that these perfumes hit different people in different ways— perhaps due to personal sensitivities to novel molecules? Just speculation. My partner thinks sloth is lovely and interesting and floral and woody and mossy and lightly fruity... I get more like what you get Muskycat, that falling apart thing, where the notes pop out separately and quite unappealingly. Whereas, I absolutely love and freak out about Moth and Original Bat and yet my partner thinks one is way too loud(Moth) and the other just horrifying (Bat).

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    I can’t say I find T Rex in any way flat but have you tried LiTA from Bogue? It might scratch a T Rex sized itch in a different way if you find something missing in that one!

Also I thought david8’s point about nothing smelling artificial in T Rex is quite funny with that dose of Rose Oxide that will still be noticeable after our sun dies out. Maybe divad8 just means that nothing seems out of place compositionally— ie a synthetic smelling synthetic is fine in the right context.

I also think that these perfumes hit different people in different ways— perhaps due to personal sensitivities to novel molecules? Just speculation. My partner thinks sloth is lovely and interesting and floral and woody and mossy and lightly fruity... I get more like what you get Muskycat, that falling apart thing, where the notes pop out separately and quite unappealingly. Whereas, I absolutely love and freak out about Moth and Original Bat and yet my partner thinks one is way too loud(Moth) and the other just horrifying (Bat).
    I've yet to try LiTA but have heard the T-rex comparisons - it does pique my interest. Pretty curious that he made a cousin of T-rex to promote the romance-themed music of a musical couple, I wouldn't consider T-rex romantic by any stretch of the imagination...

These perfumes are indeed VERY variable with different skin chemistries. I cannot stand Moth, but a friend says it pulls beautifully on her skin...But she hates the way it smells on clothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Well, the thing with T-Rex is that its smokyness is so overwhelming to me. The first time I tried it was a big WTF moment, with that blast of fire smoke a couple of seconds after spraying it. It was quite a good impression of that smell. Too bad I hate that smell in real life xD. Anyway, next wears were less shocking, but still without that floral evolution in the drydown people talk about. I only get smoke, woods, burnt woods, patchouli, vanilla and spicyness; the drydown is less fire, more burnt woods and more vanilla, but I don't get the florals.

All that smoke is too much for me, and after 5 wears I still don't like the fragrance, but it's fun to test. Same thing on paper. I don't know what rose oxide smells like, but from what I'm reading it's like a metallic rose? I don't get any of that. I'm probably more sensitive to the smoky parts/notes and they're blocking other notes in my nose. I have a sprayer sample, and I only do 1 spray per wear, so maybe less quantity sprayed changes the smell... but if I sprayed more than that I'd probably die. xD

What it's weird is that I've just read in a review that this perfume contains some woody-amber AC, and I'm very, very sensitive to those hateful things, but I don't get the piercing and intense rubbing alcohol smell I usually get with those in this fragrance...

Well, the thing with T-Rex is that its smokyness is so overwhelming to me. The first time I tried it was a big WTF moment, with that blast of fire smoke a couple of seconds after spraying it. It was quite a good impression of that smell. Too bad I hate that smell in real life xD. Anyway, next wears were less shocking, but still without that floral evolution in the drydown people talk about. I only get smoke, woods, burnt woods, patchouli, vanilla and spicyness; the drydown is less fire, more burnt woods and more vanilla, but I don't get the florals.

All that smoke is too much for me, and after 5 wears I still don't like the fragrance, but it's fun to test. Same thing on paper. I don't know what rose oxide smells like, but from what I'm reading it's like a metallic rose? I don't get any of that. I'm probably more sensitive to the smoky parts/notes and they're blocking other notes in my nose. I have a sprayer sample, and I only do 1 spray per wear, so maybe less quantity sprayed changes the smell... but if I sprayed more than that I'd probably die. xD

What it's weird is that I've just read in a review that this perfume contains some woody-amber AC, and I'm very, very sensitive to those hateful things, but I don't get the piercing and intense rubbing alcohol smell I usually get with those in this fragrance...
    I believe Trex trained my nose bigtime coming back into this hobby and starting to explore the niche and artisan side of things. Initially it was all smoke smoke smoke. Now I can barely 'detect it'. I find Trex rather floral sweet and spicy (nutmeg etc) with a resinous base to die for once all the florals meld together. Very metallic/minty up top and that sort of keeps everything wound together. Almost like a barbed wire holding a bouquet of roses and jasmine together.

I definitely hear you! Smelling around the smoke while standing in the fire! Not easy. Lol

I had the misfortune of dropping a full bottle of T-Rex on the tile floor in my bedroom two weeks ago and it broke. Not sure I'm interested in this scent any more but my slippers are still quite fragrant.

Smile Re: Zoologist - Thoughts and Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas Moncreiff View Post
    This Raccoon reference made me laugh...
    Victor, what about "Tasmanian Devil"! (I'm laughing now!)
    A friend of mine does field research on them and send me a hidden-camera video from their burrow during a mating ritual (very solitary, only come together to breed) and God, do they scream it to the world or what!
    They literally tear one another apart, all the while screeching, hissing, guttural growling, almost eerie screaming... it was the most hilariously horrid sight ever.

PS; And yes, please don't change a single thing about Moth.

That's so funny, I was thinking about tasmanian devil as well, together with wolverine and komodo dragon.

I unfortunately only tested Camel, and it was a big no no for me. I haven't found a fragrance emphasizing on dried fruit that i like yet so it is not Zoologist fault to give me something that is given in their notes description but that was just too potent.
    Would be interested in many more (Bee and T-Rex for instance)

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    I unfortunately only tested Camel, and it was a big no no for me. I haven't found a fragrance emphasizing on dried fruit that i like yet so it is not Zoologist fault to give me something that is given in their notes description but that was just too potent.
    Would be interested in many more (Bee and T-Rex for instance)
    Those are the two to go for IMO.
    But be weary if 'potency' can be an issue for you.

Anybody try snowy owl as of late?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Very well stated. Love what you are creating. Keep following your passions. There are too few in this world that do that. BTW big fan of Camel!
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast