Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fort and Manlé

Default Fort and Manlé

I'm hearing a lot of good things about Fort and Manlé, yet many reviews have noted a lack of projection and sillage as well as a few longevity complaints. Have you tried their range? If so, how was the performance and projection?

Don't say, "The smell is what matters most" because without longevity and projection, there is no smell. All these factors are taken into account when judging a fragrance.

Default Re: Fort and Manlé

I have tried a few of them. The performance was about average(5-6hours) with low projection. Nice scents overall but they are skin scents on me. I recently got a sample of Forty Thieves which I really like on first impressions so I'll do a full wearing soon and see if it has more presence than the others that I have tried.
    Currently wearing: Genre by Edward Bess

Basenotes Plus

Agree. Many of them smell great but I get very poor performance and longevity out of them.

Basenotes Plus

Nicely composed, but the house base will likely determine your opinion of this house. I don’t like it, therefore I’m not a fan, after an hour or so of dry down, of any of their scents. I find the base raspy and grating.

This house was a pretty big letdown for me when I tried them. Disappointing.

Basenotes Plus

The house didn’t impress me. Only one full bottle worthy was the Oud and lavender one other then that I found the others mediocre at best. And yes performance on all of them are way below average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find me on Instagram: Niche_Addict07
    “Your fragrance is your message, your scented slogan.” – Maurice Roucel

Basenotes Plus

I was this || close to buying a sample set from LuckyScent... but the somewhat lackluster responses stopped me in my tracks. Figured sometimes it pays to let others try new brands/releases first. I may still sample them in future but they’ve been pushed further down the sampling line.

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    This house was a pretty big letdown for me when I tried them. Disappointing.
    What exactly disappointed you?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I have tried a few and the ones I've tried were OK and some were pleasant but nothing I found that was special.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I do think the house is grossly overhyped for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    What exactly disappointed you?
    Pretty much everything -- aside from the cool bottles and interesting names.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I was this || close to buying a sample set from LuckyScent... but the somewhat lackluster responses stopped me in my tracks. Figured sometimes it pays to let others try new brands/releases first. I may still sample them in future but they’ve been pushed further down the sampling line.
    I just received a few Forte and Manle samples from Lucky Scent. Haven't gotten to them just yet. My interest in them is just plain curiosity.

Rasei Fort is the nose for Fort and Manle.
    I have a sample of this one arriving tomorrow.
    80800.jpg
    The Scoop
    Inspired by Rasei Fort's earliest childhood memories of time with his grandfather- his garden of blooming jasmine and lemon trees, the classic eau de cologne faded into his crisply starched shirt- Kolonya is an intensely personal scent, a true labor of love that echoes with the warmth of pleasantly fuzzy recollection. An imposing list of notes- citrus, spice, florals, moss, woods, resins- nonetheless coalesces into a hypnotically soothing whole, a smooth chord progression of gently wistful etherea that sits softly on the skin, yet will surprise you with moments of profound recognition throughout the day. Not so much a cologne as the memory of a cologne, Kolonya is more than mere fragrance- it's genuine emotion, captured on skin.

Kolonya Notes
    Bergamot, Neroli, Petitgrain, Clove, Nutmeg, White Pepper, Bitter Orange, Pink Grapefruit, Blood Orange, Rosewood, Orange Blossom, Rose, Coriander, Galbanum, Rosemary, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Lavender, Angelica Root, Black Plum, Indian Vetiver, Oakmoss, Hay, Amber, Benzoin, Sandalwood, Virginian Cedarwood, Musk, Tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have tried a few and the ones I've tried were OK and some were pleasant but nothing I found that was special.
    This is my view as well. Nothing really caught my interest.
    Currently wearing: Oliver Peoples by Byredo

Have only tried Confessions of A Garden Gnome - wasn't my cup of tea.

Basenotes Plus

I tried two on the samples. Charlatan I found nice, but it reminded me a bit of one of the 4160 Tuesdays perfumes...can't recall which at the moment. I'm currently sampling Fatih Sultan Mehmed....the longevity is quite bad. It's a shame because the the notes are rich, but don't last long enough for me to enjoy.

Was my SOTD today.
    Let me just say if given the chance to put "thebeck" on the bottle, I wouldn't for this one.
    I think for the most part we're all in agreement on Fort and Manle and Rasei Fort the nose, meh, meh and more meh.

80800.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Rasei Fort is the nose for Fort and Manle.
    I have a sample of this one arriving tomorrow.
    80800.jpg
    The Scoop
    Inspired by Rasei Fort's earliest childhood memories of time with his grandfather- his garden of blooming jasmine and lemon trees, the classic eau de cologne faded into his crisply starched shirt- Kolonya is an intensely personal scent, a true labor of love that echoes with the warmth of pleasantly fuzzy recollection. An imposing list of notes- citrus, spice, florals, moss, woods, resins- nonetheless coalesces into a hypnotically soothing whole, a smooth chord progression of gently wistful etherea that sits softly on the skin, yet will surprise you with moments of profound recognition throughout the day. Not so much a cologne as the memory of a cologne, Kolonya is more than mere fragrance- it's genuine emotion, captured on skin.

Kolonya Notes
    Bergamot, Neroli, Petitgrain, Clove, Nutmeg, White Pepper, Bitter Orange, Pink Grapefruit, Blood Orange, Rosewood, Orange Blossom, Rose, Coriander, Galbanum, Rosemary, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Lavender, Angelica Root, Black Plum, Indian Vetiver, Oakmoss, Hay, Amber, Benzoin, Sandalwood, Virginian Cedarwood, Musk, Tobacco
    How was it?

How was it?
    See post #17
    Last edited by thebeck; 3rd February 2019 at 12:00 AM.

LucaTurin just gave Kolonya 5 stars.
    https://www.perfumestheguide.com/blog-1

Basenotes Plus

Is Fort and Manle (and Rasei Fort) and American perfume house?

I see the RF is $160. How much are the FaM's?
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Zemfira by Bortnikoff

All Is Beautiful

I think Kolonya is excellent. Very complex and kind of echos of some of the best Chanels but good on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is Fort and Manle (and Rasei Fort) and American perfume house?

I see the RF is $160. How much are the FaM's?
    The House is based out of Australia, I believe. 50ml bottles of FaM run $190 at Luckyscent.
    Currently wearing: Genre by Edward Bess

Basenotes Plus

Thanks

I mean he JUST launched the Fort & Manle line I think it's odd that he released Kolonya under a new line - no?
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Zemfira by Bortnikoff

Basenotes Plus

I have 3 of their fragrances, given that they're based in my home city (Melbourne, Australia) and that the house plays around with a bit of oud. Suleyman, Sultan Mehmed and Bojnokopff

The good: Fragrances are blended well, have unique compositions and do smell wonderful with a fair degree of complexity. I bought them after an initial test in store.

The bad: Performance. I'm tempted to walk around with the bottles lol. I'm not after beast mode performance, but they should have decent longevity/projection/sillage.

If they boost the performance (maybe release an extrait or enhance using synthetics) these would be epic scents.
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Dependent

I purchased a bottle of Kolonya soon after reading Luca's review. At long, long last, after years and years of buying fragrances from overseas, I can buy a top tier scent locally, which means I don't have to deal with :

a. unfavourable exchange rates
    b. crazy shipping charges
    c. Postal workers threatening to destroy perfume packages because it's illegal etc.

Progress.

Wonderful fragrance btw.

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    I purchased a bottle of Kolonya soon after reading Luca's review. At long, long last, after years and years of buying fragrances from overseas, I can buy a top tier scent locally, which means I don't have to deal with :

a. unfavourable exchange rates
    b. crazy shipping charges
    c. Postal workers threatening to destroy perfume packages because it's illegal etc.

Progress.

Wonderful fragrance btw.
    Congratulations. I love it.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Congratulations. I love it.
    Thank you. And yes, very nice fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by 911LambMelb View Post
    I have 3 of their fragrances, given that they're based in my home city (Melbourne, Australia) and that the house plays around with a bit of oud. Suleyman, Sultan Mehmed and Bojnokopff

The good: Fragrances are blended well, have unique compositions and do smell wonderful with a fair degree of complexity. I bought them after an initial test in store.

The bad: Performance. I'm tempted to walk around with the bottles lol. I'm not after beast mode performance, but they should have decent longevity/projection/sillage.

If they boost the performance (maybe release an extrait or enhance using synthetics) these would be epic scents.
    Which one would you keep out of these 3 if had to get read of one? Coincidentally, I've narrowed my choice of purchase (being a blind-buy) to one of these 3.

The notes in Sultan Mehmet are most appealing to me because I love apple, but the longevity has raised alarm bells. Bojnokopff seems to have good longevity but I'm not a big fan of lavender.

Basenotes Plus

Which one would you keep out of these 3 if had to get read of one? Coincidentally, I've narrowed my choice of purchase (being a blind-buy) to one of these 3.

The notes in Sultan Mehmet are most appealing to me because I love apple, but the longevity has raised alarm bells. Bojnokopff seems to have good longevity but I'm not a big fan of lavender.
    Mehmed is very nice, you really smell the sweet apple, but not too sweet, overall it is balanced.
    Suleyman is a little less sweeter (still has apple in it) I personally prefer it over Mehmed.
    Bojnokopff is nice, but you do notice the lavender (doesn't smack you in the face however). It's more choc-lately if anything IMO.

They all smell very nice IMO, doubt you'd be disappointed blind buying. I'm going to try showering myself in them and see how it goes with performance haha.
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast