Code of Conduct
    Performing the BN salute

Blog Entries

Default The Atlantic article: Why does men's body wash smell that way; female author

Article includes interview with Ann Gottlieb.

During a recent shower, I grabbed my bottle of body wash—which smells like lavender and has “relaxing” properties—and squeezed. It was dead empty. This left me with the backup plan many girlfriends know well: Using your boo’s “manly” body wash ...

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-a-man/577081/
    Currently wearing: cK be by Calvin Klein

Default Re: The Atlantic article: Why does men's body wash smell that way; female author

Interesting article. I thought they were going to lose me when they reached out to "a scent expert who creates scents for Axe", but they did not.
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Atlantic article: Why does men's body wash smell that way; female author

Excellent read--especially as I'm in blind pass hell where every possible guess also has mint and leather. Or lavender and cinnamon.
    Aaaaand, this isn't funny anymore.
    Currently wearing: Florence by Tocca

Basenotes Plus

Interesting as I really don't notice the smell of body wash after I've towelled dry. I am currently using Dove Men's Fresh Awake, but I use whatever Dove body wash my wife puts in the shower from head to toe.
    Currently wearing: Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff

Thanks for the link.

Again the idea that things smell differently on different people... (rather than just top vs drydown).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by RichMan'sOldSpice View Post
    Interesting article. I thought they were going to lose me when they reached out to "a scent expert who creates scents for Axe", but they did not.
    Not just anybody, but one of the biggest names in the fragrance world.

Fragrance developer Ann Gottlieb has done more to shape the modern world’s olfactive landscape than perhaps any other individual. Currently celebrating her 50th year in the industry, Gottlieb humbly describes her role as “the liasion between the brand and the fragrance houses, translating a brand vision or product concept into scent.” But her successes, from the fruity bouquets she introduced to the market through Bath & Body Works to her blockbuster creations for Calvin Klein (including Obsession, Eternity, and cKOne), have proven that she is much more than that. She’s a true scent whisperer, a woman who knows exactly what consumers want before they even know it themselves.

Gottlieb got her start working with another legend, Estée Lauder, catching the attention of the beauty doyenne with her strong opinions about fragrance. “I had no idea whatsoever that I had any kind of talent, or a nose that was any different from anyone else’s,” she says. But when Lauder sailed through the offices dousing her employees in perfume and asking for opinions, Gottlieb responded with honesty and insight. “I was 24 years old and probably didn’t know any better,” she says, “but she kept coming back to me, and I ended up going from an entry level role to head of product development at Lauder in six-and-half years.”

Since founding her own company, Ann Gottlieb Associates, in 1983, Gottlieb has worked with everyone from Dior to Dove, and has guided the creation of scents as varied as Axe’s chocolate-addiction Dark Temptation and Marc Jacobs’ whimsical, strawberry-tinged Daisy. Gottlieb’s unique ability to recognize and propel forward promising fragrance nuggets that often become masterpieces with mass appeal comes not only from her stellar sense of smell and her unerring instincts, but also from the collaborative spirit she brings to her work. She understands keenly that a synchronicity between packaging, marketing, and the product itself is crucial to success, so she always keeps the lines of communication open. “I’m proud of the fact that many fine fragrance, personal and air care marketers are much more fragrance-literate after having worked with me,” she says. “I will always share everything I can about my process and about what I do.”
    http://www.fragrance.org/the-fragran...-ann-gottlieb/
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Basenotes Institution

Interesting article. Thanks.

Basenotes Plus

As someone who has no body odor/sweat smell (it's a genetic thing), I have no experience with body wash or deodorant. Do most BNers use scented bath products? Do they clash with your fragrance, or do you wear a coordinated soap/body wash/deodorant/perfume triumvirate?
    Currently wearing: Le Dix by Balenciaga

Basenotes Plus

Agree with her observation on traditional gender-fication of scent notes. Women are supposed to smell ‘delicate and floral’, while men are supposed to smell like they’ve been doing ‘hard labor in a lumberyard’. It’s patently stupid LOL but it succeeded in establishing new market categories of products to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    As someone who has no body odor/sweat smell (it's a genetic thing), I have no experience with body wash or deodorant. Do most BNers use scented bath products? Do they clash with your fragrance, or do you wear a coordinated soap/body wash/deodorant/perfume triumvirate?
    I love to use scented bath products, but I'm cautious about the price so I use the cheaper stuff. I use scented bar soaps, hand washes, bath & shower gels. In my case, there is no correlation to the perfumes I wear. You leave the used soap in the shower drain. It makes the bathroom smell lovely, however.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Common Lackey

As someone who has no body odor/sweat smell (it's a genetic thing), I have no experience with body wash or deodorant.
    No wonder you love animalic perfumes so much -- you're just jealous!

All Is Beautiful

I personally do not like the Axe/Lynx scents but I think their marketing was genius. I saw somewhere on an interview that she worked on Axe for 20 years. It must have paid off.

I feel sad for men stuck in the "typical men's scent" world of "men's" body washes and deodorants, as it lacks adventure and imagination. In my own shower I currently have shower gels of: Vetiver 46, Oud Wood, Angel, Alien, Alien Man, A*Men, L'Envol, and even Gucci Envy for Men. Not only are the male-marketed among these far more interesting than Axe or Dove Men or whatever, but gosh darn have I had some lovely manly showers with Angel or Alien and life would be a bit more dull without them.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

'Since founding her own company, Ann Gottlieb Associates, in 1983, Gottlieb has worked with everyone from Dior to Dove, and has guided the creation of scents as varied as Axe’s chocolate-addiction Dark Temptation and Marc Jacobs’ whimsical, strawberry-tinged Daisy.'

I'm actually using my emergency back-up Dark Temptation deodorant today, and like ALL Axe products I've used once the chocolate of DT fades my underarms smell like Davidoff Cool Water. Happened with their Tobacco Amber and Oud Vanilla (can't remember the actual names) also. Cool Water. ;D YMMV
    I smell marshmallows!
    Currently wearing: Bijan for Men by Bijan

Basenotes Plus

Growing up my parents bought this massive box of Irish Spring from Costco. I used a lot of 'manly' Irish Spring. Strangely it made a great face wash and cleared up my acne as a teen too. That aside, it's probably why scents like Floris' JF and GIT appeal to me so much.

Currently we only have Dove soap and Dial. I don't care for scented body washes because I find many interfere with my perfume choice, though a few blend well together.
    Currently wearing: Inflorescence by Byredo

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    No wonder you love animalic perfumes so much -- you're just jealous!

Exactly! I'm absolutely sure that's why I adore the stinkier smells in perfumery. I'm just trying to up my pheromone game.
    Currently wearing: Le Dix by Balenciaga

Basenotes Plus

I tend to use a sans scented dish detergent as a bodywash. A supply of Santal soap, Oakmoss soap and a homemade Jasmine beard soap. I usually rub down with a couple of drops Grapeseed Oil which is for the most part odorless.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post
    Not just anybody, but one of the biggest names in the fragrance world.

http://www.fragrance.org/the-fragran...-ann-gottlieb/
    Thanks for the interesting bio, low profile but very influential. Just noting it says Gottlieb created Eternity but I’m pretty sure Sonia Grojsman created Eternity.

I use soap, mostly unscented Aleppo soap, with occasional forays into scented. I love soap about equally with my love for perfume.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon