Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Best Acqua di Parma

I haven't tried many but I love Assoluta and the almond one mandorlo something..The fig one in the blue bottle is quite nice too. I like their candles too.

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    I haven't tried many but I love Assoluta and the almond one mandorlo something..The fig one in the blue bottle is quite nice too. I like their candles too.
    Mandorlo di Sicilia (is the almond one, in the blu mediterraneo line..... quite nice!)
    The fig in the same line is Fico D'Amalfi, definitely a top fig scent.
    Had a chance to pick up two candles cheap and waited too long and missed out, still have not tried those....
    Currently wearing: Halston Z-14 by Halston

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Nope, same frag.

Also, Oud is the same formulation since inception as 'Colonia Intensa Oud' to 'Colonia Oud' to 'Oud'.
    Thanks for confirming. I knew about the oud (have the middle one), but thought I saw the notes on Leather differ. I do want to pick up Leather eventually.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa
    Currently wearing: H24 by Hermès

Has anyone tried the new Bergamotto di Calabria la Spugnatura yet? It‘s not just different packaging, they say.

D087AFCA-FE9D-431C-B9F3-B8606ABE0A95.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie1Kenobi View Post
    That's what I'm trying to figure out. So far, I really do like the original Colonia's unique lemon scent but would prefer more longevity. Some reviewers say Colonia is linear (no separate top, mid, and base notes), others say its citrus top quickly dries down to a linear soap scent, while the AdP site itself says Colonia's citrus top changes to a citrus floral mid and then to a woody base. Crazy differences in descriptions! Is it the lemon, bergamot, and orange combo that gives Colonia its unique lemony citrus "signature" or is it that Colonia has a lot (or a certain type) of lemon in its top? Are there any Colonia flankers that have a citrus top very similar to Colonia but have greater longevity? What are your favorite Colonia flankers, why specifically do you prefer them, and how do your favorite flankers primarily differ from the original Colonia? As you can see, I'm trying to learn more about colognes by focusing on this particular line for now.
    Lots of good questions!! I love Colonia and find nothing else opens like it. It's not the most complex but it's far from linear. Colonia definitely has some stages and is quite different in dry down. It goes to a light wood/musk base. Maybe they say that as you still get the occasional whiff of the citrus, it's just not up front. I guess I would say Colonia is about average or just slightly above average as far as "development/changes" compared to the average modern scent.

Of all the flankers I tried/own, Essenza is the closest to Colonia at opening and has some changes but not drastic in drydown. I would suggest trying it if looking for longevity. (Some people say more, some less...) On that issue, I get quite good wear on any ADP but other don't... The black label generally have the most longevity, the regular Colonia line next, with the blu mediterraneo line the least. But even the blu I often smell and enjoy at 8 or more hours.

I have no idea what it is that makes the Colonia opening so good, it just is!!!

As to flankers:
    Colonia Intensa - this is the only ADP I do not like, the citrus is toned down greatly and there is mainly a rotten wood note center
    Essenza - as mentioned, quite similar to Colonia but more neroli, many say it's more "soapy" If Colonia is a favorite stop at this point for this style...
    Pura, Futura - these are newer offerings and the citrus opening is a bit toned down in both. I needed several wearings to warm up to these where the others were great spray one. I suspect people who don't love colonia so much might be more drawn to these....
    Note di Colonia 1,2,3,4 - These are also newer and you don't hear much about them. I haven't sampled enough to give good comments except to say in general they also are not so citrus forward but mix other notes with some citrus, one is more green, one ginger....

Club - a flanker in name only. It's a heavy green mint scent. The colonia citrus is well hidden in the back.

Then there are what was the brown line - Mirra, Ebano, Oud, Leather, Ambra, Quercia. These now have black bottles not brown. Leather is popular if a bit polarizing as you see from other comments on the thread. None of these have the strong citrus opening of Colonia, and they are almost all quite dark/woody. I like many of them as cold weather scents, but they are a different category than Colonia line.

Then there are the newer releases in black bottles - camellia, vaniglia, osmanthus, yuzu, few more I am forgetting. I have tried a few of them once and nothing grabbed me, which was a surprise, except vaniglia. It's a dark vanilla not overly sweet, and very strong and long lasting.

Finally it's fun time, the blu line. I have yet to find one of these I don't like. Most of them fit in the sitting in a nice chair in warm weather, or at the beach, kind of category but a couple could see office wear. There must be about 10 counting a few discontinued ones. I would recommend sampling any of these you can..... just a few to mention:
    Fico d'Amalfi fig, one of the top 3 fig scents
    Arancia di Capri the citrus is very orange!!! with near gourmand touches... and more orange!!
    Bergamotto di calabra classic italian bergamot
    Mandorlo di Sicilia almonds.... with vanilla and maybe coconut almost, etand some florals and wood... better than it probably sounds
    Mirto, Chinotto, cipresso, many more good ones.....

Don't want a novel but if more questions feel free to ask, check my wardrobe for what I have of these....

[QUOTE=Fugufish;5156614]I don’t think you can name a just one best from a house with such a wide range. It totally depends on the mood and occasion. Do you want to feel refreshed, do you want to feel „like a boss“, etc.

I find AdP offers a lot of very good scents for different occasions and and moods.

/QUOTE]

Fugufish said it better than I could. The classic Colonia is great for warmer weather, but beyond that there are a lot of options that are good for different times, situations, moods, weather etc. It's very hard even to pick a top 3 or 5 for me....
    Currently wearing: Halston Z-14 by Halston

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Lots of good questions!! ...
    Don't want a novel but if more questions feel free to ask ...
    Oh but please do! Excellent t write-up of the AdP line. I see you are a fan just like me and then some .

And to think that I used to dislike AdP the first time I tried Colonia many moons ago. Guess my nose must have been drunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of the handful or two I've sampled, Colonia Intensa. I just wore it last night for my "sleep scent" and was taken by surprise by how long lasting it actually is. I could still smell it in the morning.

Colonia Club is ok but a bit too much on the boring side.
    Spray less, love more.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    Of the handful or two I've sampled, Colonia Intensa. I just wore it last night for my "sleep scent" and was taken by surprise by how long lasting it actually is. I could still smell it in the morning.

Colonia Club is ok but a bit too much on the boring side.
    Intensa was my brief favorite from the fresh line, until Pura came out. That took the top spot for me for smell profile and performance. It's a summer staple.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa
    Currently wearing: H24 by Hermès

Thanks, woodnotes55, for the useful AdP info. Based on your post, I'll get samples of Essenza (to compare with original Colonia) and Leather (because many reviewers praise it). Currently looking for a citrus -- Colonia & Eau Sauvage share the lead with L'Eau d'Issey a distant second. Will also try some other top niche citruses.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugufish View Post
    And to think that I used to dislike AdP the first time I tried Colonia many moons ago.
    Blasphemy! An outrage!

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    Colonia Intensa. I just wore it last night for my "sleep scent" and was taken by surprise by how long lasting it actually is. I could still smell it in the morning.
    Ditto when I test-sprayed it on my arm.

I’m a big Essenza fan. I enjoy Colonia Club too and Pura. There was something floral about the original Colonia that drove me nuts.
    "Desperation is a stinky cologne."
    --Super Troopers
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    There was something floral about the original Colonia that drove me nuts.
    AdP site says Colonia has a "Bulgarian Rose" heart note. Could that be the "something floral" or could the perfumer have included other floral scents without listing them as notes?

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie1Kenobi View Post
    AdP site says Colonia has a "Bulgarian Rose" heart note. Could that be the "something floral" or could the perfumer have included other floral scents without listing them as notes?
    I knew it had a floral component...and I’ve said this many times here...certain scents come off as “perfumey” on my skin. Certain florals will. It just kind of overwhelms me in the drydown. This was one. I did not get it from Essenza. But I wear Gucci Guilty EDP now with rose and I love it. So it must be a combination of things.
    "Desperation is a stinky cologne."
    --Super Troopers
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Colonia for me but I have several others and like them. Fico de Amalfi is a favorite.
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Arancia di Capri, Fico di Amalfi, Ebano, Oud, Quercia and III.
    Add Pura to this list.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Most AdPs are pretty good. My favorites are the original Colonia, Colonia Club, and Essenza. Of the Blu line, I like Ginepro and Fico. I don't like the newer ones - Pura and Futura.