Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: MDCI Invasion Barbare Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    Got to be honest fellas.....For what you pay and what you get The stuff is crap!!! Sorry if I offended anyone?? Just my honest opinion. Probably my biggest disappointment in the fragrance game.
    One can say the same thing about Aventus. Own both and would take IB every day and twice on Sunday.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
    Currently wearing: Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    Surely the most important question when it comes to IB is whether or not you opted for the resin bust

If I was rich and had someplace significant to display, I might consider the bust version. But I find it an oddity in my frag world. I do appreciate they offer it as an option whereas some companies force their pricey packaging on you.

I realize a lot of people think the scent in general is overpriced. I won't argue about that. But if you really like the scent, it's worth it.
    I have a bunch of other fougeres I also like a lot, but I find IB worthwhile.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Out of interest, when do fans of this scent wear it?

I tried it under the impression it was a work fragrance or formal scent, but came to the conclusion it was best suited to dinners and evening wear.
    If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Out of interest, when do fans of this scent wear it?

I tried it under the impression it was a work fragrance or formal scent, but came to the conclusion it was best suited to dinners and evening wear.
    Personally I found it to be my ideal office scent. I wore it to work often until I retired last year. It was easily my most worn scent over the last few years, and first one I used up a full bottle.

I am very challenged to try and describe this scent. I get a lot of cardamom, some clean musk and a touch of vanilla. Not soapy but rather clean and light. Never really sensed the lavender myself though I know it's noted by many. Some note it as modern "barbershoppy" which I kind of get and kind of don't. I hate sounding like a dunce on this one, but I can't properly express exactly why I like it from a scent profile point of view. I just know I like how it wears on me. I did get some positive feedback from women on it.

We all have different tastes and that's fine. I saw it as work scent- but NOT to pigeon hole it as an "office scent." Never thought of it as formal or evening. But I'd wear it anywhere.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

IB is a top 5 for me in a now 200+ bottle collection. It is so versatile, especially compared to other favorites (ACDD, Salome, Chypre Palatin, Vanilla Havane). One characteristic that makes it so great for me is that long into a wearing it still radiates, giving me ongoing moments of tranquil pleasure. You can find this in big fragrances, but not so often fougeres. Unlike most monsters, IB is an easy reach, suitable for the office -- and just makes me feel fresh, powerful and relaxed. I love other lavender-forward fragrances - MEM is also special, but heavy and layered in comparison.

I never connected with it.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

wrong post, ignore
    If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Now that I have the a 60ml bottle of IB, I can say that it is the same fragrance.
    Only at double the strength of my 75ml, with a roaring opening, and ringing clear notes. If you like IB, this is a treat.
    I hope to find a back up.

IB is such a beautiful scent. The opening, the dry down, and the deep dry down the next morning are all spectacular. It probably skews a bit dressier, but it is so pleasant and inviting that you’ll never find an occasion where it fails to fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac0011 View Post
    Now that I have the a 60ml bottle of IB, I can say that it is the same fragrance.
    Only at double the strength of my 75ml, with a roaring opening, and ringing clear notes. If you like IB, this is a treat.
    I hope to find a back up.
    This 100%. To this day, the 60ml version of IB is still one of the strongest fragrances I've ever worn. I'd literally have to shower to get it to stop projecting the next day.
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Invasion Barbare is one of my all time favorite fragrances. Its also my SOTD.
    Currently wearing: Note de Yuzu by Heeley

So I just did a side-by-side with Invasion Barbare and Hanae Mori HM and am I the only one who sees a direct connection between these two?

The openings are very, very similar, Hanae Mori HM just has more zesty lime, and even the drydowns aren't worlds apart. Obviously, HM is more youthful, carefree, fresh while Barbare feels a bit more adult and dense with that slightly animalic amber, but Barbare feels like the adult version of HM's adolescent self.

Honestly... I prefer HM, which I guess means I should hand in my fragrance snob card. But Invasion Barbare just doesn't really do it for me.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Alpedra View Post
    Invasion Barbare is one of my all time favorite fragrances. Its also my SOTD.
    Great scent. I should reach for it more often.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.