Code of Conduct

Default Help Me Choose a Successor to Jovan White Musk?

Hello,

I have been a user of Jovan White Musk for Men for the past 4-5 years or so. It is a simple, effortless, easy to wear scent that I have enjoyed thoroughly. My one qualm with the scent is that it lacks a bit of personality. I appreciate its inoffensiveness, and indeed that is one of the reasons aside from the aforementioned that I have enjoyed it so much, but I can't help but feel that it isn't me, and it isn't really a "signature" scent for anyone, as it is too impersonal.

Other scents I thoroughly enjoy, but that lack the effortless and versatility of Jovan White musk, but definitely mesh better with my personality are Bvlgari Homme, Dior Eau Sauvage (2018) and Dior Fahrenheit. Though I love the scent of these, they are a bit too strong for everyday wear.

I'm wondering if members may be able to steer me in a direction of a slightly stronger, more impressive version of Jovan White Musk. Thinking about the dry down and basenotes of that scent, but multiplied. I think that is what makes the fragrance vibe with me.

Thanks for taking the time!

Default Re: Help Me Choose a Successor to Jovan White Musk?

Musc Ravageur or Kiehl's Original Musk would be worth trying

Blog Entries

You might actually like Ferrari Essence Musk. It has the same musky smell as Jovan White Musk (trust me I owned both), only it has a lot more up top. Very underrated frag.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Narciso Rodriguez For Him/Musk

...should fit the bill of a more interesting musk that doesn't cost a lot. Safe, but more than enough character in whatever form you like. For Him/For Him Intense/For Him Musk all are good.

Prada L'Homme/Prada Amber pour Homme

​Not as musky but might fit the bill for what you're looking for. Readily available in any mall too, and not overpriced for the quality.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Currently wearing: Patchouli by Réminiscence

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

I'd give Uomo? Moschino (1997) a try. It has a nice lemon top, hedione middle, and ambery musk bottom. Very understated but more personable than Jovan White Musk.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Musc Ravageur would be worth trying
    Agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

If we are looking for a bit of an understatement on musk that would rule out Musc Ravageur, as it has a pretty big personality. Kiehls has more of the feel you are looking for, but I don't know if you are going to like the scent. As you went for the White Musk, as opposed to the Musk for Men, I'd try to stay on the less dirty side of things. Kiehls smells an awful lot like Jovan Musk for women to me. In the realm of the clean musk, which admittedly is not quite my forte, I concur with Scarce, my recommendation would be
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him

It has the clean white musk, but with some character. You said you like the smell of Fahrenheit, well this has the violet leaf from that and brings the musk up to date a bit.
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Blog Entries

I disagree with trying Musc Ravageur. The actual musk in the fragrance doesn't come until the very dry down, which is about 4 hours in, if not longer. The musk is sweet and ambery, nothing like the musk in White Musk. The opening emphasizes on spices, notably clove for a good 2 hours. The overall composition is warm, sweet and spicy, and sort of gourmand, so for a prominent musk, it does bring a lot of complexity to it. For somebody looking for an upgrade from White Musk, I don't think Musc Ravageur fits the bill.

Plus just to get a sample will cost as much as many bottles of cheaper stuff.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

On the Cheapie side - Aqua Velva Musk or Tabac EDC
    On the low to mid range side - Burberry Touch
    On the upper tier - I'm truly not sure because my budget doesn't allow for much exploration of the higher cost stuff to be perfectly honest but I am sure others here will gladly fill in this space