Code of Conduct

Default Muguet des Bois by De Laire base (?) or Coty (?) Question on how is it/was made?

Newbie inquiry.

Hello there,
    I'm relatively new to this forum. I've been signed up for Basenotes for years but I haven't used this account that much at all.

Well, I'm interested in making perfume bases and I have attempted to make a few with varying degrees of success. I had found via a blog on vintage bases and that blog has been very helpful/informative. I've created a rose base in the vein of Rose d'Orient (not exact but good enough for now), Jasmin 231 (pretty good for not having any real jasmine in it) and Dianthine (very spicy and lush smelling). I am really wanting to create a lily of the valley perfume base that's vintage in character as those are.
    I'm a sucker for the older classics. I have seen some formulas on TGSC and other sites, not attempted any of those yet.

One base that I have read scantily about is the Henri Robert created "Muguet des Bois" for Coty. I can't find that much info on it.
    I had read that perfume from Coty is basically the MdB base with alcohol added to it.
    I had purchased some of the old perfume off eBay recently, yet to receive it. Look forward to it to see how it smells.

I wanted to know if anyone has a formula to make something like this legendary perfume base of Muguet des Bois?

I have been a hobby perfumer for quite a few years but haven't really taken it all that seriously till most recently.

I have been growing my stable of materials and bases recently.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Default Re: Muguet des Bois by De Laire base (?) or Coty (?) Question on how is it/was made?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
    Newbie inquiry.

Hello there,
    I'm relatively new to this forum. I've been signed up for Basenotes for years but I haven't used this account that much at all.

Well, I'm interested in making perfume bases and I have attempted to make a few with varying degrees of success. I had found via a blog on vintage bases and that blog has been very helpful/informative. I've created a rose base in the vein of Rose d'Orient (not exact but good enough for now), Jasmin 231 (pretty good for not having any real jasmine in it) and Dianthine (very spicy and lush smelling). I am really wanting to create a lily of the valley perfume base that's vintage in character as those are.
    I'm a sucker for the older classics. I have seen some formulas on TGSC and other sites, not attempted any of those yet.

One base that I have read scantily about is the Henri Robert created "Muguet des Bois" for Coty. I can't find that much info on it.
    I had read that perfume from Coty is basically the MdB base with alcohol added to it.
    I had purchased some of the old perfume off eBay recently, yet to receive it. Look forward to it to see how it smells.

I wanted to know if anyone has a formula to make something like this legendary perfume base of Muguet des Bois?

I have been a hobby perfumer for quite a few years but haven't really taken it all that seriously till most recently.

I have been growing my stable of materials and bases recently.

Any information would be most appreciated.
    I have the original base (and the original fragrance) and while I haven't had either GCMS analysed, I would say it is a base similar to the one in Appell's book - perhaps close to Muguet 10B. I am not sure if you are aware but Diorrisimo by Roudnitska was basically a modified and enhanced version of muguet des boi - if you smell vintage diorissimo and muguet des bois you can clearly tell.

So my suggestion is build a muguet from Muguet 10B (with 10% hydroxycitronellal as opposed to 7%) and play around to get something similar. I suspect there will be a touch of something animalic in the genuine base as it has an incredible smoothness that is not found in the Appell formula. Perhaps a bit of ambergris - I use that in my muguet bases to get the same effect.
    Formulas for Fine Fragrances (including clones) and Bases
    Including: YSL M7, Patou Pour Homme Privé, Twilly, Aventus, Green Irish Tweed, Terre d’Hermés, Neroli Portofino, and More.
    Currently wearing: V / Visa by Robert Piguet

Default Re: Muguet des Bois by De Laire base (?) or Coty (?) Question on how is it/was made?

Quote Originally Posted by jfrater View Post
    I have the original base (and the original fragrance) and while I haven't had either GCMS analysed, I would say it is a base similar to the one in Appell's book - perhaps close to Muguet 10B. I am not sure if you are aware but Diorrisimo by Roudnitska was basically a modified and enhanced version of muguet des boi - if you smell vintage diorissimo and muguet des bois you can clearly tell.

So my suggestion is build a muguet from Muguet 10B (with 10% hydroxycitronellal as opposed to 7%) and play around to get something similar. I suspect there will be a touch of something animalic in the genuine base as it has an incredible smoothness that is not found in the Appell formula. Perhaps a bit of ambergris - I use that in my muguet bases to get the same effect.
    Thank you, JFrater. That does help very much.

I'm going to locate that Appell formula, see it's on TGSC website. I'll see what I can come up with.
    In fact, the bases I have been doing are the ones that you had posted in your blog which were very informative. I appreciate the info you have put out there.

Sincere regards

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
    Thank you, JFrater. That does help very much.

I'm going to locate that Appell formula, see it's on TGSC website. I'll see what I can come up with.
    In fact, the bases I have been doing are the ones that you had posted in your blog which were very informative. I appreciate the info you have put out there.

Sincere regards
    Muguet 10 B (and others): http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/...dm1384942.html
    Formulas for Fine Fragrances (including clones) and Bases
    Including: YSL M7, Patou Pour Homme Privé, Twilly, Aventus, Green Irish Tweed, Terre d’Hermés, Neroli Portofino, and More.
    Currently wearing: V / Visa by Robert Piguet