Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Teone Reinthal

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Teone Reinthal

Quote Originally Posted by Singularious View Post
    Well Zeeba is not what I thought, exactly. I expected a reboot on the Taif and Oud play we've all seen a few times. But this is different to me. I smell almost entirely Oud. I get very little rose or sandal. However, I think that may be the beauty of this scent. It feels like a genuine standalone oud...that I'd be willing to wear out with regularity. Call me too Western, or unrefined, or just new to the game, but I can't do oud oils. And I can't do super oud-heavy scents.

But this one, I could wear. I am guessing that the sandalwood and rose, for me, serve as bodyguards for an overzealous (or passionate, depending on your perspective) movie star. They are there to protect their boss from harm. Or maybe...they are there to protect their boss from himself, so he doesn't harm others. And they are doing a bang-up job. I can't really describe it better than that tonight. I smell the classic oud hay, with *maybe* a touch of leather (but not my kind of leather, which it turn out seems to be a bit grimier and perhaps naughtier than this) and faint smoke. This is a "dry" oud. I don't get any fruitiness, but the "bodyguards" seem to have reigned in the unwelcome stable fare accompanying the hay, as well as gramma's old-time medicine.

And this one isn't a screamer in projection, either. But for me, the sillage is nice. It feels like the effect you get when the audio is out of sync by about a second or two on your television (except this isn't as annoying). I move, then I sit, then I get a nice wave of Zeeba. Sitting still, I can detect the scent with four sprays from the vial, but it is subtle. It flirts, but it won't commit.

I don't think this is FB worthy for me, but I think this speaks more to my tastes than the quality of the scent. I am not ready for real oud without even more protection. I can hang out with his entourage (gimme more florals or leather - Floris, Al Faransi) or his cousin (Sweet Francis K or Amber), but he's too much for me, even in this well-constructed perfume.
    I love rose. And hope there’s a good amount in it, but sounds like not. But I also love Hindi, especially without the barn. If the Oud parts of Zeeba are all tea, warm hay, and Hindi Leather- that’s sounds niiiiice.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by wildrnesxperienc View Post
    I love rose. And hope there’s a good amount in it, but sounds like not. But I also love Hindi, especially without the barn. If the Oud parts of Zeeba are all tea, warm hay, and Hindi Leather- that’s sounds niiiiice.
    Sounds like this one is worth sniffing for you if my nose is half-decent on the oud profile. But rose? You will not find rose here. Or at least not as I know it. And I love it, too. I am borderline obsessed with it right now. I have been ordering up everything from Black Line to Musk Rose to Sandalwood and Patchouli Rose attars to straight-up rose ottos and absolutes to pair with bases myself.

The damascenas can be...un-rosy sometimes. But I'm not getting much even of that here. My wife hasn't sniffed this yet so we'll see if she smells things differently.

Basenotes Plus

I wore Mokaya today. It has left the building at this point (probably lasted a solid 6-8 hours, the last couple on skin alone), but it was pretty dang nice. This one I will wear again, and possibly spring for a FB. It would help if the dollar wasn't turning into burnable currency (not sure that's going to improve any time soon, though).

Anyway...this opens with a lot of orange blossom for me, accompanied by...something, perhaps the cacao or tobacco anchoring things a little. But truly I don't know. But the orange blossoms are the primary note. I quite dislike neroli, and this does not smell that way. These are rich, creamy and almost indolic. And they stick around for longer than I thought they would. Probably a good hour or two for me (though I was absorbed in work, so not for sure on timing).

As things develop, I can definitely smell the cacao and the vanilla. For me, neither are cloying, but form a deep and rich scent. I almost feel like this scent is orange custard in a bottle. But it isn't overly sweet. Very unisex, IMO. I kept trying to put my finger on what it smelled like to me and of all things, it reminded me a little of Koh-I-Nor, but without the fur. It feels "vintage" to me in the same way, but in no way "old". I do NOT like Koh-I-Nor, for what it's worth, for those same two reasons (too old, too much fur/butt). Please throw your tomatoes now and I'll move to the next paragraph.

I got better projection here than with Zeeba, which still feels weird. This is a very food-centered scent to me. A true gourmand, and I don't like a lot of them. Fazzolari's Ummagumma is an exception. And there may be similar cacao notes here, too.

This reminded me of a time in Belize where I was on a cacao plantation in the middle of miles of blooming orange groves. If you've ever smelled the different stages of cacao production, it reminded me of standing in the middle of all of them at once. The freshly split pod, which is citrusy (to be clear, there are no acidic citrus notes in Mokaya) and creamy (the pulp tastes like lemon yogurt), then the curing process, and finally the grinding of cured beans in the molcajete. But it isn't all chocolate.

We'll see where this lands after another wearing or three. It may/may not be in my stable, but it is really nice. Longevity is on the short side, but like many things in life, duration isn't always equivalent to enjoyment.

I wore Mokaya today....

This reminded me of a time in Belize where I was on a cacao plantation in the middle of miles of blooming orange groves. If you've ever smelled the different stages of cacao production, it reminded me of standing in the middle of all of them at once. The freshly split pod, which is citrusy (to be clear, there are no acidic citrus notes in Mokaya) and creamy (the pulp tastes like lemon yogurt), then the curing process, and finally the grinding of cured beans in the molcajete. But it isn't all chocolate....
    Mokaya sounds very intriguing! I also thought so after watching the Wafts from the Loft guys review. I didn't not order a sample of it but seeing as she could not send out my order yet anyway, maybe I can still ask her to for it as well...

Besides that, I loved that little inside into your experience on the cacao plantation. After many years working and traveling in Asia, I'm very keen to explore Latin America and would love to go to Belize, including now going to a cacao plantation!

Basenotes Plus

I am too tired for a full write up tonight, but I have worn a few more of these. They are all quite good. Pagan is a very nice chyphre that remind me of some of Sultan Pasha's work and lasts all day for me. I understand the love for Black Spruce now as well. It is very, very well composed. I only wish it would stay with me longer.

But for me, Night Song is overwhelmingly satisfying. I think this is my first love from TRNP. I don't know if it is that I have never smelled myrrh in anything where I was smitten, or just the combo of champaca, lotus, oud and myrrh is just so delightful. This is dark, spicy, sweet, and gorgeous. I am wearing it tonight, so I don't know how it will dry down and fade away, but it is a real winner in my book.

Basenotes Plus

Night song is just SO good to me, y'all. I definitely understand Sydnor's claim of ALD-level greatness. I think Teone's work is actually better blended.

All of them are good, but this one is to my taste. I think it is my favorite real oud fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Night song is just SO good to me, y'all. I definitely understand Sydnor's claim of ALD-level greatness. I think Teone's work is actually better blended.

All of them are good, but this one is to my taste. I think it is my favorite real oud fragrance.
    Night Song is IMO her best work.
    I haven't sampled most of her fragrances, but of the 10 or so I have, Night Song is the stand out.
    Do you even niche and/or artisanal?
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

I know I’m a little late here but I recently got on the TRNP train and I think they’re wonderful scents. I’m going to join in the love fest for Black Spruce and my partner loves it on me which is NOT a given. Great use of Oud to highlight coniferous facets. Not sure I’ve ever smelled it done just like this.

Tallemaja is fun and strange. Almost reminds me of a “feminine” Black Spruce. Minty oudy forestry with softening notes.

I’m surprised no one here is talking about Magus —- WOW it is IMO the star of her Oud scents... slightly spicy florals over soft Hindi Oud. This stuff is *chef’s kiss*

I sampled Pagan and loved it but somehow sprung for Pagan Oud from her vault... what’s not better with Oud? I love rolling the dice... blind buyers on this thread are with me, I know it.

My biggest surprise was EMBERS —- I get along with sandalwood but it never blows my mind, maybe because I grew up wearing Egoiste and nothing really touches that vintage Chanel... until now. Immediately bought a full bottle and I almost completely skipped it as a sample. WOW. Warmth and creaminess. My girl tells me it’s the one I should wear at the end of the night in bed. Very nice.

Bulgakhov was the one I was most looking forward to. Two of my favorite genres are Lavendars and Ouds but I’m not familiar with them together. So bulgakhov had my attention. I do like it. But to me it comes across as a lavender that transitions into an Oud. Almost like two seperate scents. Gonna keep playing with it. Also love the name. One of the best Russian authors.

Raven is fun... reminds me of something I can’t quite place. Rose Chypre. Maybe vintage Knowing?

In all I sampled:

Ouds:
    Black Spruce
    Magus
    Bulgakhov
    Tallemaja

Vintage:
    Pagan
    Francois
    Raven
    Embers
    Cocobolo(wonderful opulent leather/wood/iris/rose thing— wear with a fur coat lol)
    Petite Brise

I got FB of Embers. 10ml of Magus, Black Spruce, Pagan Oud.

New samples of Tantra, Zeeba, Night Song, Oudh Batavia, Garden of Pleasures.

Teone is lovely, as well. Extremely sweet and the shipping process is the best I’ve dealt with in scents.
    Currently wearing: 0,7738 by Bogue Profumo

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    I know I’m a little late here but I recently got on the TRNP train and I think they’re wonderful scents. I’m going to join in the love fest for Black Spruce and my partner loves it on me which is NOT a given. Great use of Oud to highlight coniferous facets. Not sure I’ve ever smelled it done just like this.

Tallemaja is fun and strange. Almost reminds me of a “feminine” Black Spruce. Minty oudy forestry with softening notes.

I’m surprised no one here is talking about Magus —- WOW it is IMO the star of her Oud scents... slightly spicy florals over soft Hindi Oud. This stuff is *chef’s kiss*

I sampled Pagan and loved it but somehow sprung for Pagan Oud from her vault... what’s not better with Oud? I love rolling the dice... blind buyers on this thread are with me, I know it.

My biggest surprise was EMBERS —- I get along with sandalwood but it never blows my mind, maybe because I grew up wearing Egoiste and nothing really touches that vintage Chanel... until now. Immediately bought a full bottle and I almost completely skipped it as a sample. WOW. Warmth and creaminess. My girl tells me it’s the one I should wear at the end of the night in bed. Very nice.

Bulgakhov was the one I was most looking forward to. Two of my favorite genres are Lavendars and Ouds but I’m not familiar with them together. So bulgakhov had my attention. I do like it. But to me it comes across as a lavender that transitions into an Oud. Almost like two seperate scents. Gonna keep playing with it. Also love the name. One of the best Russian authors.

Raven is fun... reminds me of something I can’t quite place. Rose Chypre. Maybe vintage Knowing?

In all I sampled:

Ouds:
    Black Spruce
    Magus
    Bulgakhov
    Tallemaja

Vintage:
    Pagan
    Francois
    Raven
    Embers
    Cocobolo(wonderful opulent leather/wood/iris/rose thing— wear with a fur coat lol)
    Petite Brise

I got FB of Embers. 10ml of Magus, Black Spruce, Pagan Oud.

New samples of Tantra, Zeeba, Night Song, Oudh Batavia, Garden of Pleasures.

Teone is lovely, as well. Extremely sweet and the shipping process is the best I’ve dealt with in scents.
    Thanks for your impressions!

Have you smelled ALDs Oud Picante? Dan from Wafts from the Loft had compared Magus with it.

I'm currently waiting for 4x 6ml oils/attars from her:
    Zeeba
    Garden of Pleasures
    Pagan Oud
    Black Spruce

I hope they make it here without problem, shipping the EDPs/samples to here wasn't possible unfortunately ...

Basenotes Junkie

Wow it’s great to Embers is THAT good! I love sandalwood so much so I think I’ll be getting a blind buy here soon!
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    Wow it’s great to Embers is THAT good! I love sandalwood so much so I think I’ll be getting a blind buy here soon!
    I’ll send you the rest of my sample if it helps you decide before going all in!

Basenotes Junkie

I’ll send you the rest of my sample if it helps you decide before going all in!
    Oh dude awesome. Which that reminds me anyways I got to send out your package!

Hi!

My curiosity of the TRNP stuff is absurd at this point. I've not yet come across as much as a sample in the Swedish/EU frag groups I frequent, so I'm thinking about just going wild while there's a sale at her website. Looking at bottles of Embers, Mokaya, Eau Naturel, Winter Light as well as a 4 Mukhallats sample pack. However, I'm scared that the Swedish customs charges will be huge (hard to tell from the authorities website, but I might be looking at a 25-30% add-on customs charge, which would be a little too much for me. I have the option of shipping it to a friend in the US, though, which brings me to the question of what you US-based guys and gals had to pay in customs fee for your orders from TRNP? Is there a fixed fee or is it a percentage of the sales price?
    Currently wearing: Tabacaurum by Sultan Pasha

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by avrora View Post
    Hi!

My curiosity of the TRNP stuff is absurd at this point. I've not yet come across as much as a sample in the Swedish/EU frag groups I frequent, so I'm thinking about just going wild while there's a sale at her website. Looking at bottles of Embers, Mokaya, Eau Naturel, Winter Light as well as a 4 Mukhallats sample pack. However, I'm scared that the Swedish customs charges will be huge (hard to tell from the authorities website, but I might be looking at a 25-30% add-on customs charge, which would be a little too much for me. I have the option of shipping it to a friend in the US, though, which brings me to the question of what you US-based guys and gals had to pay in customs fee for your orders from TRNP? Is there a fixed fee or is it a percentage of the sales price?
    Zero in customs in the States. Customs here is so lax we almost never pay any duties.

Not sure if the same rigor is applied to individual packages in Sweden, but if not used is always an option. You'll obviously need a little more patience.

Zero in customs in the States. Customs here is so lax we almost never pay any duties.

Not sure if the same rigor is applied to individual packages in Sweden, but if not used is always an option. You'll obviously need a little more patience.
    Thanks for your response! The Swedish customs do not miss much. Sometimes you can bypass it by doing a bit of lying on the content and value declaration but I've had such packages opened and checked and loaded with fees. My friend in the US is Swedish though and she's coming home in October and bringing me some other stuff (of which I'm most excited about Fjerne!!!). I might need to pay for an extra suitcase for her flight at this rate, though...

So, when you say almost never, what are the duties like in the cases you have to pay them?

I have only once paid duties, and it seemed random. I’ve ordered many times from First In Fragrance (Germany) far exceeding the $800 duty free limit and only been charged duties that one time (and it was not the highest dollar order).

I am looking to buy Nefertum but can’t find it on the site, maybe sold out? Sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I have only once paid duties, and it seemed random. I’ve ordered many times from First In Fragrance (Germany) far exceeding the $800 duty free limit and only been charged duties that one time (and it was not the highest dollar order).

I am looking to buy Nefertum but can’t find it on the site, maybe sold out? Sniff.
    Ah, nothing as reassuring as authorities being random... Thanks for the info about duty free limit, that's in Canada, right? A quick google search gave me that packages under $2500 are considered informal entries and are not taxed at all. Sorry for hijacking the thread for customs questions, by the way, maybe there's a more suitable subforum for these questions?

Nefertum looks awesome by the notes. It is insanely stress-inducing to discover a house this interesting, hard to obtain (even samples) and that has this many fragrances in their catalogue!

A quick google search gave me that packages under $2500 are considered informal entries and are not taxed at all.
    In the US, that is.

No, actually I was talking about the US. Canada taxes the hell out of everything, I never have packages shipped here, only to the US. I thought the duty free limit was $800 but if it’s actually $2500 that explains why I am not being charged on my big FiF orders.

I just got a second package from Teone and wow Tantra and Garden of Pleasures are stunners as well. Not to mention her sons first perfume, Black Powder is pretty cool as well. Much spicier and more brash which makes it kind of charming and appealing all the same. Wan Chai was a bonus sample and it’s killer as well. I really want to try Zeeba and Night Song now too. But alas I’m broke! ;-)

I just got a second package from Teone and wow Tantra and Garden of Pleasures are stunners as well. Not to mention her sons first perfume, Black Powder is pretty cool as well. Much spicier and more brash which makes it kind of charming and appealing all the same. Wan Chai was a bonus sample and it’s killer as well. I really want to try Zeeba and Night Song now too. But alas I’m broke! ;-)
    Garden of Pleasure is amazing!

I've finally goten my oils (6ml each) and have given each one full wearing by now. Now, I gotta say first of all I'm not the biggest fan of oils, as I prefer to spray instead of dabbing or in this case rolling the roller ball over my skin. She was not able to send alcohol-based perfume currently to Sri Lanka, so I settled for oils because I was so eager to try TRNP finally.

Black Spruce: Very green but not as foresty as I had imagined. Somehow rather green as in some rose scent that come across rather green then jammy rosy. Somehow reminds me a bit of one of those Annick Goutal rose scents, I think Rose Splendide. As if you're smelling the stem of a rose. Not sure if I'm making sense. The drydown is leathery, I assume from the viet oud. I was looking forward to this one a lot but it wasn't a wow (so far). Not at all bad but not exactly what I expected. Looking forward to giving it more wears tho.

Pagan Oud: It was maybe the one I was least excited about because I am not the biggest chypre fan. I was quite surprised tho, because I really liked it on my first wearing. Somehow slightly fruity, maybe due to the narcissus and orange blossom combo. Besides that a great, vintage-leaning chypre that becomes more interesting for me due to the added oud.

Garden of Pleasures: Oh yes. Amazing stuff. Heady, carnal florals kept in balance by viet and hindi ouds. This reminds me slightly of Xerjoff's Al-Khat. But better. Heavenly drydown, when the sandalwood comes through. It is a bit more feminine leaning but I have no problem with that.

Zeeba: I was also not so excited about this upon reading the notes, as I have Areej's Malik Al Taif and thought I don't need another rose-oud combo. But oh boy, I love this stuff. The rose is actually not very dominant, not as in the opening of MaT, but rather quiet, which I don't mind at all. Zeeba, to me, is quite linear (which I don't mind as well), mostly a great leathery oud with heavenly creamy mysore sandalwood. Almost like a pure oud oil. Really really good.

Now I am even more curious to try more of TRNP's scents. I'd love to make use of the sale but I have no clue when I'd be able to actually receive the scents... What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Tosef View Post
    Garden of Pleasure is amazing!

I've finally goten my oils (6ml each) and have given each one full wearing by now. Now, I gotta say first of all I'm not the biggest fan of oils, as I prefer to spray instead of dabbing or in this case rolling the roller ball over my skin. She was not able to send alcohol-based perfume currently to Sri Lanka, so I settled for oils because I was so eager to try TRNP finally.

Black Spruce: Very green but not as foresty as I had imagined. Somehow rather green as in some rose scent that come across rather green then jammy rosy. Somehow reminds me a bit of one of those Annick Goutal rose scents, I think Rose Splendide. As if you're smelling the stem of a rose. Not sure if I'm making sense. The drydown is leathery, I assume from the viet oud. I was looking forward to this one a lot but it wasn't a wow (so far). Not at all bad but not exactly what I expected. Looking forward to giving it more wears tho.

Pagan Oud: It was maybe the one I was least excited about because I am not the biggest chypre fan. I was quite surprised tho, because I really liked it on my first wearing. Somehow slightly fruity, maybe due to the narcissus and orange blossom combo. Besides that a great, vintage-leaning chypre that becomes more interesting for me due to the added oud.

Garden of Pleasures: Oh yes. Amazing stuff. Heady, carnal florals kept in balance by viet and hindi ouds. This reminds me slightly of Xerjoff's Al-Khat. But better. Heavenly drydown, when the sandalwood comes through. It is a bit more feminine leaning but I have no problem with that.

Zeeba: I was also not so excited about this upon reading the notes, as I have Areej's Malik Al Taif and thought I don't need another rose-oud combo. But oh boy, I love this stuff. The rose is actually not very dominant, not as in the opening of MaT, but rather quiet, which I don't mind at all. Zeeba, to me, is quite linear (which I don't mind as well), mostly a great leathery oud with heavenly creamy mysore sandalwood. Almost like a pure oud oil. Really really good.

Now I am even more curious to try more of TRNP's scents. I'd love to make use of the sale but I have no clue when I'd be able to actually receive the scents... What to do?
    Very interesting! The spray of Black Spruce is extremely foresty. I wonder why the oil can’t seem to get those top notes. Seems to me oils react to skin chemistry even more than spray perfumes do. For me some of my Attars just don’t react on my skin the way everyone else talks about them(mellifluence Attars for instance)... Pagan Oud is wonderful to me too. I’m a sucker for the original version but the Oud makes it a whole other scent which is wonderful as well.

¿Does anyone have experience with François?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkinggrade View Post
    ¿Does anyone have experience with François?
    I have a bottle! It’s main emphasis is the Orange Blossom in the opening, then it focuses on the mossy/patchouli aspects of the Chypre in the drydown. I like it very much, though Dilettante by Hiram Green is still probably my favorite natural Orange Blossom perfume.

I'll join in in the quest for thoughts on TRNP entries - has anyone tried Eau Naturel and/or Cernunnos and would care to share their thoughts about any of them?

OK - couldn't pace myself and placed an order. Thanks to everyone for reviews and thoughts on the scents, and info on customs stuff. Soo... FB:s of four of the ones on sale (Winter Light, Mokaya, Cernunnos and Eau Naturel) plus Embers, as well as a four oud mukhallats sample set (Zeeba, Night Song, Black Powder and Magus). Also picked up a bottle of Black Spruce from a fellow basenoter. I've never ever been close to going all-in on a house like this! It will take a while for it to get to me though, couldn't risk the Swedish customs duties so I sent it to a friend in the US. Some time in October - expect me to be eager to join in with thoughts on these!

OK - couldn't pace myself and placed an order. Thanks to everyone for reviews and thoughts on the scents, and info on customs stuff. Soo... FB:s of four of the ones on sale (Winter Light, Mokaya, Cernunnos and Eau Naturel) plus Embers, as well as a four oud mukhallats sample set (Zeeba, Night Song, Black Powder and Magus). Also picked up a bottle of Black Spruce from a fellow basenoter. I've never ever been close to going all-in on a house like this! It will take a while for it to get to me though, couldn't risk the Swedish customs duties so I sent it to a friend in the US. Some time in October - expect me to be eager to join in with thoughts on these!
    Excited to hear your thoughts!

Wearing Bulgakhov today. What an interesting and unique use of Oud. Has anyone else encountered other perfumes
    that use real Oud paired with Lavendarv?

I don’t think I’ve seen it at all.

Basenotes Junkie

Wearing Bulgakhov today. What an interesting and unique use of Oud. Has anyone else encountered other perfumes
    that use real Oud paired with Lavendarv?

I don’t think I’ve seen it at all.
    Hellicum from Mellifluence Attar used lavender, tobacco and Oud but sadly it was an instant scrubber. It was one of my least favorite scents I’ve ever smelled. (Sorry Abdullah if you’re reading this by chance)

But dude Embers!!! Wow. Thank you so much for the sample. It’s off topic I know but I can’t wait to try more from Teone.

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    Hellicum from Mellifluence Attar used lavender, tobacco and Oud but sadly it was an instant scrubber. It was one of my least favorite scents I’ve ever smelled. (Sorry Abdullah if you’re reading this by chance)

But dude Embers!!! Wow. Thank you so much for the sample. It’s off topic I know but I can’t wait to try more from Teone.
    Embers is so good. I’m really glad you like the sample.

Also, interesting on Hellicum. I got mostly black pepper, lavender and musk. Didn’t smell any Oud but I liked it a lot. I imagined the new Musk Lave might smell in that direction minus the black pepper(which admittedly is the most overpowering part of Hellicum).

Recently I made an Attar with these ingredients:

Lavender Abs from Russia
    Bergamot
    Orange Flower
    Ylang Ylang
    Black Ambergris
    Mysore sandalwood
    Vetiver Tincture
    Oud/lotus tincture by Feel Oud
    Zaza zen by ensar Oud
    White champa leaf
    Benzoin
    Oakmoss Abs

It’s still aging but it’s really nice. Got a kind of chewy Bortnikoff floral feel right now.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast