Code of Conduct

Unhappy Parfums de Marly - Layton and Herod - 2018 Batch Tolerances and Issues

Hi there,

I've smelled 7 different Layton batches, which were made 2018 (batch/LOT number starts with 8) and they were all different.
    3 of them were crap, 4 of them were good.

I'm not talking about differences between decants, which were lying around in several plastic atomizers for uncertain time and got in contact with air, light and heat - all the scents were freshly taken out of the newly opened full bottle and got a proper A/B comparison on several days. So there's no way, my nose is kidding me!
    I stored a few ml of each in proper glass atomizers to revisit those comparisons after a few months - with the same results. The crappy ones haven't got any better by time, as some might think.

Same problems with Herod - at least all Herod batches smelled good - but different.

Parfums de Marly say, that there were no reformulations on either. But there are used natural ingrediants, which may have slightly (!) tolerances.
    By all means, the differences could be huge and even so called "untrained" noses recognized that, when blind sniffing the different batches.

I really like Layton and Herod, however it's a pain in the ass to find good batches.

My observations are, that it got much worse during 2018 and I assume it's due to the hype of these fragrances and the high demand. Some fragrance dealers have stated in the past, that PdM told them, they can't deliver as they couldn't keep up with the production to fulfill all the orders. That totally makes sense, that the quality dropped and they needed to look for other sources of their ingrediants.

I really feel cheated when some PdM employees tell me, that the fragrances do always smell "the same" - when they clearly don't!

Have anyone of you experienced the same problems?
    Please let me know!

Best regards!

Default Re: Parfums de Marly - Layton and Herod - 2018 Batch Tolerances and Issues

Herod is completely different from 2016 and beyond which incidentally goes along with the juice colour changing from an orangey-red to a very pale shade. the newer stuff is still decent but performance is lacking and doesn't smell half as rich as the older batches. so they basically ruined it with the reform. PdM is a joke of a house that they try to deny this too.

Default Re: Parfums de Marly - Layton and Herod - 2018 Batch Tolerances and Issues

Quote Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
    Herod is completely different from 2016 and beyond which incidentally goes along with the juice colour changing from an orangey-red to a very pale shade. the newer stuff is still decent but performance is lacking and doesn't smell half as rich as the older batches. so they basically ruined it with the reform. PdM is a joke of a house that they try to deny this too.
    The 2018 ones are different from the 2017 ones - the 2017 ones, I've tried have a lot more Iso-E-Super in it and appear more "fruity", while the 2018 ones are sweater and perhaps a little bit more "smokey" in general.

Don't let you fool by the colour changes. If you put a little bit of the more clear colored juice out of a 2018 bottle into a crappy plastic atomizer (only to the half, to leave a lot air in it) and lay it down outside where the sun shines, it will age much quicker and get the red stain, too.

And please, I don't want this thread to become a "let's bash PdM" thread.
    They CAN make really nice perfumes and I hope they will rethink their quality control, if enough customers complain about the current batch tolerances. Problem is, that only very few even have the opportunity to do A/B comparisons with several batches. So the average customer might not notice anything.

the main Herod reform absolutely did go along with the juice changing colour. i've tried the 2016 and 2017 versions (paler juice) and it smells and performs significantly different than any of the earlier, darker looking incarnations (2015 and prior). not that juice colour alone tells the whole story, but in this case, it kind of does.

i'm sure there's notable differences between 2016-2018 batches but it's splitting hairs compared to what happened pre/post 2015.

the main Herod reform absolutely did go along with the juice changing colour. i've tried the 2016 and 2017 versions (paler juice) and it smells and performs significantly different than any of the earlier, darker looking incarnations (2015 and prior). not that juice colour alone tells the whole story, but in this case, it kind of does.

i'm sure there's notable differences between 2016-2018 batches but you're splitting hairs compared to what happened pre/post 2015.
    I know older Herod batches, too and haven't noticed that it was watered down massively.
    I've got a newer 2018 batch which lasts over 10 hours and has projection 3 to 4 hours.
    I haven't felt that Herod was a real beastmode fragrance at some point. Layton or especially Pegasus are more potent in that regard.

What I'm talking about is not splitting hairs - I'm talking about the scent itself, how it smells!
    Of course, longevity, projection and sillage may differ too, but I haven't experienced one single PdM fragrance/batch, which was really, really weak. So that's not my problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    I know older Herod batches, too and haven't noticed that it was watered down massively.
    I've got a newer 2018 batch which lasts over 10 hours and has projection 3 to 4 hours.
    I haven't felt that Herod was a real beastmode fragrance at some point. Layton or especially Pegasus are more potent in that regard.

What I'm talking about is not splitting hairs - I'm talking about the scent itself, how it smells!
    Of course, longevity, projection and sillage may differ too, but I haven't experienced one single PdM fragrance/batch, which was really, really weak. So that's not my problem here.
    i've found the newer Herod (2016-2018) to be massively watered down compared to the earlier versions. it's not bad but on the opening you get so much less of that rich cherry note that defined the scent for me. it's like the skimmed version vs the full fat original. less projection i don't get anywhere near 10 hours especially from the newer juice, though the earlier one was much more servicable. the newer batches are really soft from the start and i get maybe 4-5 hours tops before it's gone.

i've A-B'd both versions and the difference, at least to my nose, was huge.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Not yet thankfully.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

i've found the newer Herod (2016-2018) to be massively watered down compared to the earlier versions. it's not bad but on the opening you get so much less of that rich cherry note that defined the scent for me. it's like the skimmed version vs the full fat original. less projection i don't get anywhere near 10 hours especially from the newer juice, though the earlier one was much more servicable. the newer batches are really soft from the start and i get maybe 4-5 hours tops before it's gone.

i've A-B'd both versions and the difference, at least to my nose, was huge.
    I had a 2018 bottle, which had almost no Iso-E-Super and it was close to a skin scent. Long lasting but not the best projection - sounds that you experienced such a batch, too. The Iso-E-Super helps with the projection and also to maintain those fruity "cherry-like" aroma.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Not yet thankfully.
    Lucky you!

For asking retail cost this is unacceptable, glad I don’t tolerate sweet fragrances would be pissed if I enjoyed them and batch variances existed.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    For asking retail cost this is unacceptable, glad I don’t tolerate sweet fragrances would be pissed if I enjoyed them and batch variances existed.
    Yes, in that price range it's just not acceptable.
    Luckily I can get the bottles a little bit cheaper in Europe than you in the US, but at an average price of 150 to 200 Euros for the 125ml bottle, it's still highly priced (in comparison to some hi-end designer fragrances, which cost under 100 Euros for a 100ml bottle).

PdM also offers non-sweet fragrances like Byerley or Nisean - but I doubt that they have such batch tolerances there.

Hi there,

I've smelled 7 different Layton batches, which were made 2018 (batch/LOT number starts with 8) and they were all different.
    3 of them were crap, 4 of them were good.

I'm not talking about differences between decants, which were lying around in several plastic atomizers for uncertain time and got in contact with air, light and heat - all the scents were freshly taken out of the newly opened full bottle and got a proper A/B comparison on several days. So there's no way, my nose is kidding me!
    I stored a few ml of each in proper glass atomizers to revisit those comparisons after a few months - with the same results. The crappy ones haven't got any better by time, as some might think.

Same problems with Herod - at least all Herod batches smelled good - but different.

Parfums de Marly say, that there were no reformulations on either. But there are used natural ingrediants, which may have slightly (!) tolerances.
    By all means, the differences could be huge and even so called "untrained" noses recognized that, when blind sniffing the different batches.

I really like Layton and Herod, however it's a pain in the ass to find good batches.

My observations are, that it got much worse during 2018 and I assume it's due to the hype of these fragrances and the high demand. Some fragrance dealers have stated in the past, that PdM told them, they can't deliver as they couldn't keep up with the production to fulfill all the orders. That totally makes sense, that the quality dropped and they needed to look for other sources of their ingrediants.

I really feel cheated when some PdM employees tell me, that the fragrances do always smell "the same" - when they clearly don't!

Please let me know!

Best regards!
    So, without getting into Aventus territory, could you please list which batches of Layton you feel are good and which are bad? I am looking into getting a bottle so this information may be useful. Thanks

Ugh! Batch variations drive me bonkers!

Quote Originally Posted by ripjean View Post
    So, without getting into Aventus territory, could you please list which batches of Layton you feel are good and which are bad? I am looking into getting a bottle so this information may be useful. Thanks
    No, I will not.
    I've done that on the German Parfumo forum and everytime I say "batch xyz" isn't good, there comes along someone else and tells he's got exactly that batch and it's the best you can imagine.

I can tell you, that the best Layton batch I've come across so far is 721701. So if you see that one, I would highly recommend to get it.

With Herod, the differences in smell are much lesser between the batches than with Layton. With Layton it's just insane - of course you may notice every batch as "Layton" but they smell so different, it's just ridiculous. Even the amount of the synthetic woody notes does vary a lot, so I'm pretty sure, that it's not just because of "natural materials". It's more sloppy production and poor quality control.

PS: I never had noticed that much differences between various Aventus batches than with Layton.

I have a 2015/2016 batch of Herod and it perform amazing on me. I had layton as well but sold it a month ago. Layton was also beastly but didnt like the generic scent profile. I only kept Herod from PDM.
    Top 10 Seasonal Favorites - Summer 2020:

Le Labo Bergamote 22
    Xerjoff Nio
    Xerjoff Renaissance
    Xerjoff Mefisto Gentiluomo
    Roja Elysium (extrait and Cologne)
    Roja Vetiver Cologne
    Fragrance Du Bois Oud Vert Intense
    Fragrance Du Bois London Oud
    Creed Erolfa
    MFK Gentle Fluidity Silver

Quote Originally Posted by herbert7890 View Post
    I had layton as well but sold it a month ago. Layton was also beastly but didnt like the generic scent profile.
    Well that depends on the individual batch, if it smells generic or not.
    So I fully understand each reviewer regardless if he gives his thumps up or down.

Parfums de Marly subforum coming soon to a site near you!

Talking Re: Parfums de Marly - Layton and Herod - 2018 Batch Tolerances and Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Parfums de Marly subforum coming soon to a site near you!
    Yeah, why not?

I tested some today - was a 2018 batch - beast mode stuff and smelled great.

Well that depends on the individual batch, if it smells generic or not.
    So I fully understand each reviewer regardless if he gives his thumps up or down.
    yeah and its not that bad to be honest, but im really downsizing to 50 bottles (im almost there), and only keeping my absolute loves, not mere likes to be able to downsize and actually enjoy my favorites.
    Top 10 Seasonal Favorites - Summer 2020:

Le Labo Bergamote 22
    Xerjoff Nio
    Xerjoff Renaissance
    Xerjoff Mefisto Gentiluomo
    Roja Elysium (extrait and Cologne)
    Roja Vetiver Cologne
    Fragrance Du Bois Oud Vert Intense
    Fragrance Du Bois London Oud
    Creed Erolfa
    MFK Gentle Fluidity Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ripjean View Post
    I tested some today - was a 2018 batch - beast mode stuff and smelled great.
    If I were you, I would buy it then. So you don't need any recommendations to certain batch numbers. However sometimes you don't smell the difference until you do a proper A/B comparison if you're not that familiar with that scent.

Quote Originally Posted by herbert7890 View Post
    yeah and its not that bad to be honest, but im really downsizing to 50 bottles (im almost there), and only keeping my absolute loves, not mere likes to be able to downsize and actually enjoy my favorites.
    I fully understand, I don't like to have a really large collection eiter (best for me is around 30) - but Layton is indeed one of my top 30 fragrances.