Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Farewell to Rive Gauche?

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Oh my the tin can version goes for absolutely outrageous prices! I haven't looked for years, back in the day there were so many available for $30
    I bought a few cans (one for myself, and a few as gifts) for $25 at the local walmart about ten years ago.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

The bad news is that YSL has now stopped the distribution of the following ones also:

- M7 Oud Absolu
    - Pour Homme
    - Jazz
    - L'Homme Ultime
    - La Nuit de l'Homme Eau Electrique
    - Kouros Silver

These are currently in clearance (40% off) on the YSL US website.

All about the masculines.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I bought a few cans (one for myself, and a few as gifts) for $25 at the local walmart about ten years ago.
    Total steal for those!
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    The bad news is that YSL has now stopped the distribution of the following ones also:

- M7 Oud Absolu
    - Pour Homme
    - Jazz
    - L'Homme Ultime
    - La Nuit de l'Homme Eau Electrique
    - Kouros Silver

These are currently in clearance (40% off) on the YSL US website.
    Think the writing was on the wall. YSL is taking the Tom Ford approach - 20 different 'luxury' fragrances per year, with a few mass sellers in the 'basic' line - which is 'Y' at the moment, for men. That way you retain the brand's luxury, while still making good money. I would hazard a guess and say the Y line, including all flankers, makes them as money as all the above combined, if not more. Whether they keep that up remains to be seen, but all they have to do is copy Chanel with its Allure v BdC trend and there's a decade of mass-selling fragrance. Or, the Armani route: the aquatic/dark blue v the Stronger sweet-vanillic-clubber.

Basically, I think the big brands are turning away from mid priced artistic and/or non-mainstream fragrances like M7 Absolu, Rive Gauche etc. and these 'types' of fragrances are now ending up in a substantially more expensive segment of the market. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see them re-released in the taller, rectangular bottles at some point, but perhaps the public backlash of such obvious gouging means they'll just kill them for good for the sake of something newer.

Someone mentioned elsewhere in another thread that the corporate climate is one that rewards novelty and - the buzzword of the day - 'disruption' of the market. That's probably just as prevalent in these sorts of decisions. With no small amount of ego attached, the culling of the old for the sake of the new appears to be de rigueur.

Good prices if you're in the US. I would assume the UK/Europe will follow suit imminently. Now's the time to buy if you love any of those fragrances, clearly. Hopefully it's just fans buying them, not someone out to make a profit. 6 months ago I probably would have jumped at M7 Absolu, but my love for it/the original faded.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Bumping this thread because of the 10 ml bottle I bought. Giving it a full wearing tonight for the first time. This stuff is amazing. As soon as that first spray hit me, I was in love, man. Everyone said it smells like shaving cream but I didn't expect it to literally and exactly smell like it! It's so rich, clean, and creamy. I love it. Pretty much a blind buy....I've smelled this before but it was so long ago, I didn't remember what it was like.
    Big thumbs up from me. I need to get a bigger bottle!
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Bumping this thread because of the 10 ml bottle I bought. Giving it a full wearing tonight for the first time. This stuff is amazing. As soon as that first spray hit me, I was in love, man. Everyone said it smells like shaving cream but I didn't expect it to literally and exactly smell like it! It's so rich, clean, and creamy. I love it. Pretty much a blind buy....I've smelled this before but it was so long ago, I didn't remember what it was like.
    Damn it. Now the curiosity is killing me hahaha.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    Damn it. Now the curiosity is killing me hahaha.
    Judging by the SOTDs, you'd probably like it but after that, it's just a question of if you want to spend the money.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Congrats!

So you remember smelling Rive Gauche but forgetting what it was like, correct?

I've read that it gets powdery in the dry down. I sampled Tom Ford Beau du Jour, supposedly close to RG, and yep, a powdery dry down. Does Rive Gauche have it kind of like that?

Judging by the SOTDs, you'd probably like it but after that, it's just a question of if you want to spend the money.
    I don't like gushing about scents that have become "unobtainium" but this stuff was really good. That shaving cream aroma is so unmistakable and distinctive.

I have a few ml of original and a fairly new 50ml can of the intense version. I notice I have bought at least six fougeres in a quest for something as good.
    No luck. But 1725, BEAU DE JOUR, AT THE BARBERS are pretty darn good in their own right. I think 1725 with its anise note may be overall closest. But it leans a bit more gourmand.

I would not be one to say pay the outrageous markups I see on this unless you're flush with money. But a couple of bucks to sample it...sure. It'd be worth it to see what the fuss was all about.

I am still puzzled why they discontinued. I know this world of fragheads is not really indicative of the world at large, and the fact that they moved it to a special "La Collection" status probably meant sales were dropping. I wonder too if Tom Ford retained some sort of licensing rights to it that YSL didn't want to keep paying (as Zealot floated as a possibility in another thread.)
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Just ordered 5ml from a tin can sample. How does it compare to my current fave, Beau de Jour?

Just ordered 5ml from a tin can sample. How does it compare to my current fave, Beau de Jour?
    Good but different, BDJ is more Zino or Heritage oriented than RG which is more Brut oriented

It will kick its ass is my guess. But you'll be the judge of that.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    It will kick its ass is my guess. But you'll be the judge of that.
    Awesome. Can't wait. If that's the case, I don't mind overspending some for a legit bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Good but different, BDJ is more Zino or Heritage oriented than RG which is more Brut oriented
    Hellbent and HughV, I agree with Chuck. Based on the Signature BDJ, I don't think they're all that similar.
    After about five hours, that shaving cream smell is still going strong.

I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Ah interesting. I don't get any similarities to Heritage (both modern and vintage) with BdJ though, upon reflection, I could see some in the dry down maybe? The PB version of BdJ feels richer with the amber and patch vs. the patch/sandalwood in Heritage. Both are gems though.

Just ordered 5ml from a tin can sample.
    I look forward to read your thoughts. I hope I didn't over-hype it. Lol
    I bought mine, expecting to be let down.....something we adjust to if we blind buy, lol. Which I rarely do nowadays. But after saying that, I was still pretty confident, based on the major studying I did on the fragrance, that think it would be at least decent.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I don't like gushing about scents that have become "unobtainium" but this stuff was really good. That shaving cream aroma is so unmistakable and distinctive.

I have a few ml of original and a fairly new 50ml can of the intense version. I notice I have bought at least six fougeres in a quest for something as good.
    No luck. But 1725, BEAU DE JOUR, AT THE BARBERS are pretty darn good in their own right. I think 1725 with its anise note may be overall closest. But it leans a bit more gourmand.

I would not be one to say pay the outrageous markups I see on this unless you're flush with money. But a couple of bucks to sample it...sure. It'd be worth it to see what the fuss was all about.

I am still puzzled why they discontinued. I know this world of fragheads is not really indicative of the world at large, and the fact that they moved it to a special "La Collection" status probably meant sales were dropping. I wonder too if Tom Ford retained some sort of licensing rights to it that YSL didn't want to keep paying (as Zealot floated as a possibility in another thread.)
    Tom Ford is huge on intellectual property rights, which is why a lot of things died almost overnight after he left LVMH, and a few other things that sold a little better L'Oreal ponied up to keep on the books via whatever red tape means were necessary, but even though eventually kicked the bucket (like Gucci PH II just prior to RGPH). On the other hand, other Tom Ford era scents have remained, like the feminine Envy and Rush, which sorta implies the masculine scents were dear to TF and he intended to remake them for his own satisfaction at his own label, which he mostly did. Fougere d'Argent is closer to RGPH than BdJ is, but everyone is hung up on BdJ for some reason.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Homme de Grès by Grès

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Tom Ford is huge on intellectual property rights, which is why a lot of things died almost overnight after he left LVMH, and a few other things that sold a little better L'Oreal ponied up to keep on the books via whatever red tape means were necessary, but even though eventually kicked the bucket (like Gucci PH II just prior to RGPH). On the other hand, other Tom Ford era scents have remained, like the feminine Envy and Rush, which sorta implies the masculine scents were dear to TF and he intended to remake them for his own satisfaction at his own label, which he mostly did. Fougere d'Argent is closer to RGPH than BdJ is, but everyone is hung up on BdJ for some reason.
    I think you're probably dead on accurate with TF and the intellectual property rights.

I'm surprised he hasn't come closer with his fougeres. But maybe there's a bit of an ego thing with trying to duplicate it too closely. Or maybe there would be issues with the original perfumer who designed it. Though many of us are batsh*t for RGPH, maybe Joe Sixpack wants nothing to do with a scent like that. Maybe FOUGERE d'ARGENT and BEAU DE JOUR are attempts to modernize and appeal to current sensibilities.

I have both FOUGERE d'ARGENT and BEAU DE JOUR. I don't find either too close to RGPH. But there are a couple of moments when wearing either where I think "well this IS a pretty nice fougere."

Jeez, I've got a lot of fougeres...

I have both FOUGERE d'ARGENT and BEAU DE JOUR. I don't find either too close to RGPH. There are a couple of moments when wearing either where I think "well this IS a pretty nice fougere."
    I have to say that I’ve never got the association between RG and any of the recent Tom Fords. Yes they are fougeres, but that’s just about where it stops. No scent has ever managed to even come close to the anise note and creaminess of the vintage. It also poses a certain level of sweetness that I don’t feel in the Tom Fords.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I have to say that I’ve never got the association between RG and any of the recent Tom Fords. Yes they are fougeres, but that’s just about where it stops. No scent has ever managed to even come close to the anise note and creaminess of the vintage. It also poses a certain level of sweetness that I don’t feel in the Tom Fords.
    Yeah, that "sweetness" is distinct. RG ticks off a lot boxes better than anything.

Now I know what I'm wearing tomorrow.

I'm so disappointed..I was recently on vacation on a greek island. Last summer this perfume store had like 20 tin can versions of rive gauche for 39 euro each. I went back to the store this year and they were all gone. So stupid of me for not buying a bottle last year.. I had bought two bottles of vintage photo instead. I will have to look around here in Athens hope to find a bottle of rive gauche soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    I'm so disappointed..I was recently on vacation on a greek island. Last summer this perfume store had like 20 tin can versions of rive gauche for 39 euro each. I went back to the store this year and they were all gone. So stupid of me for not buying a bottle last year.. I had bought two bottles of vintage photo instead. I will have to look around here in Athens hope to find a bottle of rive gauche soon.
    That is frustrating.

A lot of us got blindsided by that one.

I opted to buy a tin of the Intense version in 2018 or I'd be really pissed off.

I've only owned a tin bottle from 2011..
    So stupid of me to not buy a backup bottle of the la collection style bottle. Can't believe this wasn't selling.
    I bet m7 will have the same fate soon.
    L'oreal doesn't care!!

So stupid of me to not buy a backup bottle of the la collection style bottle. Can't believe this wasn't selling.
    L'oreal doesn't care!!
    I'd really love to see sales figures on this (and all frags actually). But I have a slight sense it is a big hit with fragheads but not so much at large.

I have a distinct memory of seeking this out after I joined Basenotes eleven years ago. Though a designer product, it was not available here in Los Angeles at any of the usual department store fragrance counters. I had to make a special trip into Beverly Hills to the YSL boutique to get it. So in 2009 in was still very much in production, but it seemed to have with fairly limited distribution.

Yeah, that "sweetness" is distinct. RG ticks off a lot boxes better than anything.

Now I know what I'm wearing tomorrow.
    It is masterfully put together. Not cloyingly sweet, nor is it too little. It's a very balanced fragrance overall.

You should be able to find it at similar stores all over Greece. YSL made hundreds of these bottles, so they are out there somewhere. Plus it wasn't discontinued that long ago.

L'oreal doesn't care!!
    I quite agree. I don't see many scents from the "old" YSL surviving to be honest. It's all about 'Y' now and the last remnants of YSL's magnificent history (I'm thinking Kouros and a few of the feminines) that still rake in the $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    You should be able to find it at similar stores all over Greece. YSL made hundreds of these bottles, so they are out there somewhere. Plus it wasn't discontinued that long ago.
    You think so? Man. Who lives close? I need to stock up.

You think so? Man. Who lives close? I need to stock up.
    There are bound to be loads right across the world. Not any that I've seen mind you, but YSL counters were full of both the pour femme and pour homme versions. Unless someone from L'Oreal can say for sure if they actively destroying discontinued stuff.

I have looked at all the department stores-nothing.
    There were never hundreds of bottles everywhere seriously there were some bottles here and there. I don't think the la collection was a big seller. I know a store where I bought a vintage bottle of d&g pour home I remember they had two testers of rive gauche I will take a stroll there later this evening to see if there is one left.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast