Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: The Smell of Communism

Quote Originally Posted by giftmischer View Post
    Some things here they sound like so many voices from West Germany, looking disparagingly and carrying the feeling of one's own superiority.
    Maybe the soaps were cheap smelling... the coal was burning... the Trabbi smoked and stank of gasoline.
    But an onion smelled like an onion, a carrot like a carrot, and a human like a human.
    I liked the scent of a West German town instantly, the whole town smelled like perfume.
    The people's scent was the scent of the supermarket.
    Well said! But, I think the nostalgia for anything is more about remembering childhood rather than communism.

Prague today is not Prague before 1990. From $10 hotels then to Four Seasons now. Tiny apartment in Prague 1 for $400,000 now, 4 times cheaper just five years ago. But you smell the Vltava river when you walk by, but that's about it. And the stereotype smell of absinthe is really only in the bars. The best bar in Prague is Hemmingway Bar in Prague 1 (Old Town). But looks like they have closed again for COVID...
    https://www.hemingwaybar.cz/bar-prague/

My year in Kyiv, I only noticed the government building were kept darker and were definitely musty and stale air compared to the US. But that is because at the Pentagon where I work, we literally have an army of cleaning people. However, the few really expensive hotels like the Hilton Kyiv have amazing scents in the lobby and all floors. The Kyiv Hilton's scent is the best, I've never smelled and I don't know if it is custom just for that region.

If you go to Kyiv and tour the former home of Yanukovych who built a movie star-quality estate with golf course using tax money, you can smell INDOLE and/or SKATOLE from the exotic animal zoo I guess! (I smell the same in DC when I walk by Congress...)
    Andrew Hugg, Lieutenant Colonel, USAF (retired)

Blog Entries

Damp concrete, shared toilets, boiled cabbage.

oh my, the good ol Hemingway <3

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Son In Law View Post
    The best bar in Prague is Hemmingway Bar in Prague

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Gardener View Post
    Damp concrete, shared toilets, boiled cabbage.
    that, and mustiness, sadness, acceptance

and sometimes Kazakh apples

Basenotes Member

No reason not to highlight some positives too! We could include the Cuban sugar industry (and its rum!) or their world-renowned talent for tobacco cultivation and curing. Cuba also sent a whole lot of bananas to the Soviet Union.

The Bolivian representation of indigenous peoples like the Quechua and Aymara, etc was nationalized under communism—people who have traditionally used aromatic plants and aromatherapy as folk medicine. Indios in high altitudes chew coca, which tastes a little like green tea with a powdery-woody note. They also bring many species of earthy and musky potato cultivars to market, and make their homes of clay with grass and other botanical materials. So many olfactory notions! Evo Morales made something like 11 indigenous languages official national languages— representing the indigenous agrarian and medicinal economies; fruits of communism. So many good ideas therein in imo..

But alas I do recognize that the topic is predominantly European!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pavomi View Post
    oh my, the good ol Hemingway <3
    You got it! Sounds like you’ve been and your name looks like you might be local? Dinner at Hergetova Cihelna on the river, Italian at La Finestra, or Salabka winery then a drink is a great night... not right now unfortunately!
    Andrew Hugg, Lieutenant Colonel, USAF (retired)