Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Cool Cosmetic surgery/procedures

Might be a controversial topic, I know. If this causes any issues with anyone, I fully support deleting it and/or closing the topic.
    So, respectfully, what are everyone's thoughts on cosmetic surgery? Enhancements? Augmentations? Botox?

It's a topic that has come up with a couple friends and a few co-workers over the past few weeks.
    I'm sure male and female opinions can very widely as far the doing cosmetic surgery just for the sake of making your body look better, whether it be nose, tummy tuck, breasts, cellulite. I don't advise it but if someone thinks that they would be happy with it, then I guess I shouldn't be the one to tell them no. However, I'm also one who strongly believes we all are perfect the way we are made and shouldn't change that, outside of diet and/or exercise.
    I also have friends who had to have breast reduction, and got gastric bypass surgery for health benefits, so there are times where it is a necessity.

And there are so many upscale neighborhoods where all the middle aged ladies, and some dudes, have abused Botox. It gets kinda scary, lol.
    I have a friend who isn't even 30 yet and wants botox. She's beautiful but is really self conscious about her body. She already had breast enlargement, which I tried to talk her out of but she went ahead with it and she loves it. So I'm happy for her. She did it for herself, she says, so I think that's ok.

But to each there own, anyone here have tried botox or cosmetic sugery? What are your thoughts on the subject?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Default Re: Cosmetic surgery/procedures

I have never had surgery if I did I would want my boobs smaller which it seems is a far more complicated operation. So just let it go and also never had the money.

If someone wants to have botox and fillers that is their decision but the truth is no they do not look younger they just look like they have botox and fillers. Same with facelift no you do not look younger if a totally brilliant surgeon who is very good you look perhaps fresher. A friend does have botox as she cannot stand the two lines between her eyebrows but that is all. Lip fillers oh dear. I have thin lips and as a SA once told me "they have a great shape and totally equal". Thanks. LOL, So many makeup people see me and have the urge to draw liner outside my lip line to make them look bigger. I think this is stupid as you can see what you have done. I notice it on TV and film with actresses and it so noticeable straight away.

There is a very well known singer Kylie Minogue and she had botox for years, the only parts of her face moving eyes and she could smile. One eyebrow was permanently higher and she got the nickname Mr.Spock because of this.

Up to each individual whether they get work done but let us not forget it does not last forever and you have to get it all redone every 10-15 years.
    DONNA

Banned

I do not care for anything of the sort. If one is so inclined, they should keep the changes subtle and natural-looking. This is just my opinion about what looks good, and I believe that anyone can/should do whatever they desire to their own body.

Basenotes Junkie

Mass media propaganda of ideal looks scares me a lot!
    I've been with a few girls who had perfect breasts. Perfectly symmetrical, perfectly fit, perfectly aligned. They were smaller than medium though, so they were talking about enlarging them. I literally begged them to do nothing.
    And people should always be aware of risk involved. There's been many cases of silicone boobs exploding inside, because they were made from a cheap materials.
    Botox or whatever they inject into lips is horrible from both looks and kissing perspective. It feels hard and stiff instead of being soft.
    I can see how plastic surgery can help in some cases, but most I've seen just looks horrible, except a few high profile Hollywood stars.
    At the end of the day it's up to each individual to decide and it's not my business if someone wants to do surgery.

I think this is a complex subject. If someone is very self-concious about their (self-)perceived flaws, then well, whatever makes them happy.

However, given the current pressure that is applied by social media and the whole cult of celebrity, selling you that you have to be picture-perfect to be happy, I wonder how many people this people sends down onto a slippery slope that they cannot easily get out of, especially if they have a tendency to obsess about their looks in the first place. Some people chase an unattainable ideal and end up looking like a caricature of themselves.

From a personal point of view, I used to suffer acne as a teenager, and still have the marks to bear it. I remember how self-conscious I felt and how much of a mental struggle it was for me to head out of the door each morning. Thankfully, this has cleared up, when it did it was a huge, huge relief. I thought about having a procedure done to reduce a couple of prominent pock marks I have, however, it doesn't bother me enough to spend a lump sum of money on a procedure. Maybe in the future if I had more money than sense I'd look into it, which is only telling how necessary it really is (read: not very).

I also had seriously, very crooked teeth because my parents couldn't be arsed to send me to have braces fitted (and yes, I did ask for it), so I rectified this myself as an adult, and had braces in my early twenties. It was very expensive, took 5 years and the removal of 7 teeth (including 4 wisdom teeth), but was also the best thing I ever did. At least I can smile with confidence now, and it also serves me as a very valuable lesson that if you don't take care of some things yourself, then no-one will.

If you want to look like Jocelyn Wildenstein, I would give it a swerve.

If you have a huge or lopsided nose and fixing it will make you much happier, I don't see a problem with it

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    I think this is a complex subject. If someone is very self-concious about their (self-)perceived flaws, then well, whatever makes them happy.

However, given the current pressure that is applied by social media and the whole cult of celebrity, selling you that you have to be picture-perfect to be happy, I wonder how many people this people sends down onto a slippery slope that they cannot easily get out of, especially if they have a tendency to obsess about their looks in the first place. Some people chase an unattainable ideal and end up looking like a caricature of themselves.

From a personal point of view, I used to suffer acne as a teenager, and still have the marks to bear it. I remember how self-conscious I felt and how much of a mental struggle it was for me to head out of the door each morning. Thankfully, this has cleared up, when it did it was a huge, huge relief. I thought about having a procedure done to reduce a couple of prominent pock marks I have, however, it doesn't bother me enough to spend a lump sum of money on a procedure. Maybe in the future if I had more money than sense I'd look into it, which is only telling how necessary it really is (read: not very).

I also had seriously, very crooked teeth because my parents couldn't be arsed to send me to have braces fitted (and yes, I did ask for it), so I rectified this myself as an adult, and had braces in my early twenties. It was very expensive, took 5 years and the removal of 7 teeth (including 4 wisdom teeth), but was also the best thing I ever did. At least I can smile with confidence now, and it also serves me as a very valuable lesson that if you don't take care of some things yourself, then no-one will.
    I had braces in junior high school. I had a major overbite. I have a pretty big nose, lol, but I'd never do anything to change it.
    I had a friend who got a nose job and it actually improved her appearance quite a bit. Then she started getting botox and she looks bad now. She's only in her early thirties. A lot of people do that. They start off with one simple and small procedure and then they keep going and don't know when to stop until they look nothing like themselves anymore. And they no longer look normal.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I had a friend who got a nose job and it actually improved her appearance quite a bit. Then she started getting botox and she looks bad now. She's only in her early thirties. A lot of people do that. They start off with one simple and small procedure and then they keep going and don't know when to stop until they look nothing like themselves anymore. And they no longer look normal.
    How unfortunate.

L
    I had braces in junior high school. I had a major overbite. I have a pretty big nose, lol, but I'd never do anything to change it.
    I only recall seeing botox once in a way where it was very obvious that the person had done it, and this was years ago. Her forehead looked simply too fresh and smooth for her age, but it didn't necessarily look bad. No joker eyebrows or anything of the sort.

Another colleague of mine had her breasts done. She's hyper feminine and always wears dresses, but is also very skinny (we're talking 5'2" and 100lbs sort of skinny). She was very self-conscious about being 'flat' and not being able to 'fill out' her clothing. After she had it done, she was super happy with them and didn't carry on doing anything else.

I think the nightmare scenario would be if serious plastic surgery would become as prevalent as it is in South Korea, where major procedures (as in resculpting your whole bloody face) are very prevalent, and some adolescents start asking for it as a graduation gift. Granted, they usually look very well done, but what does it tell us about society?

L

I only recall seeing botox once in a way where it was very obvious that the person had done it, and this was years ago. Her forehead looked simply too fresh and smooth for her age, but it didn't necessarily look bad. No joker eyebrows or anything of the sort.

Another colleague of mine had her breasts done. She's hyper feminine and always wears dresses, but is also very skinny (we're talking 5'2" and 100lbs sort of skinny). She was very self-conscious about being 'flat' and not being able to 'fill out' her clothing. After she had it done, she was super happy with them and didn't carry on doing anything else.

I think the nightmare scenario would be if serious plastic surgery would become as prevalent as it is in South Korea, where major procedures (as in resculpting your whole bloody face) are very prevalent, and some adolescents start asking for it as a graduation gift. Granted, they usually look very well done, but what does it tell us about society?
    As a bartender in a fairly upscale suburban area, I see a lot of botox. It looks pretty bad most of the time. It's hard to look at, IMO.
    Most other modifications, though, seem to look pretty good for the most part. I've known friends who've gotten nose jobs, boob jobs, tummy tucks, and it does look better. Most of the boob jobs and tummy tucks I've heard of are because of having children and they want their body back to the way it was. I can't imagine the body transformation a woman goes through with that and how it affects them but can understand it, though.

I guess plastic surgery is like wearing fragrances--a little can be very pleasing, but there will always be those who are chronic "oversprayers"! Some days I fantasize about getting "just 10 minutes" of liposuction done to certain areas that make me grit my teeth, but most days I'm lucky enough to feel happy about being alive, strong and fit. I love hearing about people who have corrective surgery for a problem that has plagued them for years and afterwards they're ecstatic with the results. If small, isolated jabs of Botox give you an extra boost of confidence, why not? It's the stories about people under 30 having major procedures done to fit with the "Instagram Ideal" that bother me. Personally I enjoy looking at a crowd where no two people are the same and the variety is endless. The faces on "The Housewives of _________" shows? CHILLS, CHILLS, CHILLS!!

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Deeply regretting Googling that.

but what does it tell us about society?
    Nothing good.

A lot of people do that. They start off with one simple and small procedure and then they keep going and don't know when to stop until they look nothing like themselves anymore. And they no longer look normal.
    You mean like Thierry "Manfred" Mugler?

capture-decran-2016-05-24-a-14.21.jpg
    Currently wearing: Erolfa by Creed

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Most people I know that have had it or are considering it are doing so for functional purposes - namely, breast reductions.

I used to do brightwork (varnishing teak, mostly) on fancy yachts for a living in and around Newport, and saw many a loaded woman of a certain age with lips that looked like they were stung by bees. I think generally though, we're probably all unconsciously biased to assume that plastic surgery is a sanctioned form of maiming - the scary ones stand out, and there's really no baseline for knowing how many undetectable jobs we have seen but not known about.

What I find even more frightening than her mug is the idea that some person finds it attractive. She was quite pretty before.

If you have a huge or lopsided nose and fixing it will make you much happier, I don't see a problem with it
    This is more or less how I feel about it. The technology is there - feel free to use it, just don't abuse it. It worked wonders for Rachel in Friends.

Whenever I hear someone mention vaginal rejuvenation (which isn't often) I like to respond with:

"Come again?"

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    You mean like Thierry "Manfred" Mugler?
    Holy moley, is that really Thierry Mugler? Never seen him before. But why would he have his nose made bigger and wider?

...aaaand here's the NSFW version:

https://www.queerty.com/thierry-mugl...nster-20070604

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post

...aaaand here's the NSFW version:

https://www.queerty.com/thierry-mugl...nster-20070604
    And to think it all happened just a few years after Super Size Me came out. It wasn't meant to be taken literally, Thierry.

No wonder I don't trust this guy to make a decent fragrance. Haha

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    And to think it all happened just a few years after Super Size Me came out. It wasn't meant to be taken literally, Thierry.
    Lots of steroids.

Oh yeah, there's another one we could add to the list of unnecessary enhancements...steroids. With everything known about it in this day and age, I can't fathom anyone still doing it. The ROCK is the biggest name on the freaking planet and no one even talks about how unnaturally large he is.
    I've known a few guys that used it and they got huge fast. So it's a tempting draw....especially in the competitive world that most times goes along with it.

Basenotes Junkie

Steroids mean testosterone. When your body gets a huge dose of testosterone from outside it stops producing natural testosterone. So as soon as your stop taking it, your sex drive goes down. Screw that!

The Muggler guy looks a little bit like Guy Pierce. Either pic you look at though, he clearly never had any idea what to do with his hair.

I just read an interesting article about the topic and thought I'd share it here:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...s-vainest-city

Banned

I just read an interesting article about the topic and thought I'd share it here:

Interesting!

I thought it was out of control in the US....but in some countries you have to do it to compete for a job, apparently. That's insane.

Basenotes Plus

I actually did a round of Botox (although it was called by another brand name) around my eyes. I had an issue with twitching and spasms around one of my eyes and I honestly just wanted to try it to help with the on-coming crows feet.

It was weird to feel the eye twitch/spasm about to start, but it couldn't....like the little nerve was trying it's damnest to make my eye twitch like crazy, but it couldn't. After the botox wore off in 3 months the twitching was completely gone and hasn't returned.

I found out the hard way the crying - like full on emotional crying really hurts to do because you cannot scrunch your forehead. I had a very emotional day - which doesn't happen that often - and at the worst time. I was told I looked quite funny attempting to bawl.

I wanted to keep it up but I finally got pregnant after trying for a long time and now I'm nursing - so it's still off the table.

I also have worked with people who had botox for excessive sweating on the hands and pits, so there are other medical uses for it too.
    Avatar picture by Fougasse (Cyril Kenneth Bird), 1944

Practical use is great and it can be life changing for a lot of people. That's good to hear about and it justifies having it around.
    I guess there's nothing anyone can or should do about restricting the stuff for people who actually need it for medical or more justifiable purposes but that would be too hard to control. And also so what if people want it to look cosmetically better. It just goes too far and ends up having the opposite effect.

I think a major problem is, well they do not research the surgeon properly.

Here in the UK all you read people on forums asking about getting it done aboard including major dental work. Then up pop the spammers oh my friend got X done in India, Turkey etc and it was cheap and they look fab. Other wiser people say go to your own GP and ask for referrals or research properly. By the way dental in many cases is cosmetic. In the UK implants can cost up to £20,000 but of course, you can go to an East European country or the middle east and get it all done for say £2,000 including flights. But do not forget you need to maintain every so many years and if it goes wrong no UK dentist will touch it.

On one of the cables, channels are the show Botched about bad cosmetic surgery gone wrong and then trying to get it fixed. Again in this US show people going and getting work done by bad surgeons or going to Mexico because it was so cheap and they have no idea what was pumped into their bodies.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I think a major problem is, well they do not research the surgeon properly.

Here in the UK all you read people on forums asking about getting it done aboard including major dental work. Then up pop the spammers oh my friend got X done in India, Turkey etc and it was cheap and they look fab. Other wiser people say go to your own GP and ask for referrals or research properly. By the way dental in many cases is cosmetic. In the UK implants can cost up to £20,000 but of course, you can go to an East European country or the middle east and get it all done for say £2,000 including flights. But do not forget you need to maintain every so many years and if it goes wrong no UK dentist will touch it.

On one of the cables, channels are the show Botched about bad cosmetic surgery gone wrong and then trying to get it fixed. Again in this US show people going and getting work done by bad surgeons or going to Mexico because it was so cheap and they have no idea what was pumped into their bodies.
    I can't even wrap my head around being in such a place that you're willing to risk your health, your appearance, hell, even your life, to save some money to make yourself look more physically appealing. Scary stuff.

Basenotes Junkie

I just returned from a trip to Seoul. My friends knew a girl who works at a plastic surgery clinics - she told us a bunch of stories.
    Girls there are obsessed with their looks. Everyone did at least eye lid surgery to get a two fold eye lid. Most have injected botox too. Seoul is world's plastic surgery capital.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    I just returned from a trip to Seoul. My friends knew a girl who works at a plastic surgery clinics - she told us a bunch of stories.
    Girls there are obsessed with their looks. Everyone did at least eye lid surgery to get a two fold eye lid. Most have injected botox too. Seoul is world's plastic surgery capital.
    What is a two fold eyelid?