Code of Conduct

Default Experiments from An introduction to perfumery ( tony Curtis and David G Williams

Hello everyone;

i was wondering if anyone had had any experience performing the suggested experiments on the book, specially chapters 5 & 6
    Any idea of the conclusion or results that each experiment persues ? also some of the percentages and dilutions instructions are somewhat confusing ...

Any information regarding these will be much appreciated

Gus
    Currently wearing: Macassar by Rochas

Default Re: Experiments from An introduction to perfumery ( tony Curtis and David G Williams

Are you referring to the experiments listed in the monographs? The comma's sometimes dilineate between indivdual experiments and other times the comma refers to the dilution of the noted material. Totally confusing!

DM if you want to talk about it more.

Default Re: Experiments from An introduction to perfumery ( tony Curtis and David G Williams

For anyone else reading this post here are some examples of my difficulties understanding the experiments suggested in the book

From page 147
    AAG experiment
    As a 10% solution with a 1% solution of cis 3 hexenol in Lyral (IFF)

the way I am interpreting the instructions is to first create a solution where cis3 hexanol is 1% in Lyral
    then create a 10% solution of AAG using the previous solution, so 10% AAG and 90% (cis3hex in Lyral)

Is my assumption correct? 1st problem I ran into; AAG is such a harsh material why doesn't the experiment mention dilution percentages of this material?

In my lab I work with materials at 10% as a general rule to do my testing and also save materials. I would also further dilute materials like AAG, aldehydes ,Geosmin, DMS, pyrazines, Rose Oxide, Damascones and many others to 1% or even further.

if I would have use the AAG at 10% it would totally dominate the blend. I find the missing information regarding dilutions if a big problem for a book intended for beguinners.

Also, why not mention the effect we are trying to test? no purpose for this experiment is ever mentioned.

From same page 147
    C18 experiment
    as a 10% dilution with Iso amyl salicylate

Do they mean to create 10 % dilution of Aldehyde C18 in Iso Amyl Salicylate neat?

in my case I would use for example

1gr of 10% Aldehyde C18
    9 gr of 10% Iso Amyl Salicylate

I haven't tried this one and I expect that the purpose of the experiment would be self evident when you smell the mixture, but is some cases as in page 151's experiment for Aurantiol (with Bergamot oil) the experiment's purpose did not seem that obvious/evident
    Currently wearing: Macassar by Rochas

Quote Originally Posted by Gusromero1 View Post
    From same page 147
    C18 experiment
    as a 10% dilution with Iso amyl salicylate
    Means that the author proposes to mix 1 part С18 (in dilution 10%) and 1 part IAS (100%)

that is, you get a mixture of С18 :IAS as 1:10 (more precisely 0,9:9,1)

If you are working with a 10% solution, then in your case you will need to divide everything by 10.
    that is, take one part 10% IAS and 1 part 1% С18.

With the first example, do the same.