Code of Conduct

Thread: Delete

Default Delete

An unnecessary footnote of exceptional banality.
    Last edited by pluran; 17th March 2021 at 09:43 AM.
    Currently wearing: Homeros by Ensar Oud

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Azemour lost more than its luster

Whoa! No experience with this one that I can recall. Not sure it's needed now.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Habanita by Molinard

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron

Chypres typically get the royal end of the shaft. More so than fougeres IMO. There were fears of reformulations following the latest repackaging. I guess those fears weren’t unfounded.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 14th November 2019 at 02:57 PM.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Have you tried the exceptional banality of the new Azemour? It smells good enough, but it feels like they yanked the heart out and replaced it with the ghost of Eau Sauvage. No edge, no substance, just a banal citrus chypre of little consequence. Yes, I like Eau Sauvage, but I didn't want it in my Azemour.
    Noooooooo! When they announced new packaging, I wondered whether I should get backups so I didn't wind up kicking myself later, like I did with Chanel's Sycomore reformulation. If they've ruined Corsica Furiosa and Iskander I'm going to be super bummed.

Marc-Antoine Corticchiato and Parfums d'Empire should go ruin some perfumes that weren't interesting in the first place.
    Just last night I happened to read the Tania Sanchez review you swiped that line from -- her griping in The Guide about Richard Fraysse and Tabac Blond.

Sad to hear this-it was one of the few leftover citrus chypres. Oh well...

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Sorry to hear so. Though, I never clicked with the older Azemour; nice fragrance, just not my style. I'm glad I was able to sell it to a BN friend who (I think) appreciates it much more than I do.
    July Rotation

Allure Homme Sport Cologne / Etruscan Water / Kouros / Insensι / Cuiron / Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Le 3me Homme de Caron / Sel Marin / Bes Respiro EdT / Aqua Amara / Acqua di Gio Profumo / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

That sucks! I have the original. I'm running low and was thinking about buying a back up. Thanks for the heads up.

.................................................. ................

-
    Last edited by pluran; 17th March 2021 at 08:29 AM.

I just received new bottles of Ambre Russe and Corsica Furiosa. The Ambre Russe definitely smells thinner and less rich. I’m afraid to try the Corsica Furiosa now.

Cook.bot, get over to Beautyhabit.com right away, they still have the 100ml Iskander in stock, 20% off thru Sunday 11/17 with code BHFF20.

Basenotes Member

Thank you. I was worried this would happen to Ambre Russe

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I just received new bottles of Ambre Russe and Corsica Furiosa. The Ambre Russe definitely smells thinner and less rich. I’m afraid to try the Corsica Furiosa now.

Cook.bot, get over to Beautyhabit.com right away, they still have the 100ml Iskander in stock, 20% off thru Sunday 11/17 with code BHFF20.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

That's unfortunate. One of the most interesting mossy citrus numbers I've ever tried. A nice median between old-school and new-school. Rewarding from top to bottom. I love how it wears in the summer and in cold weather.

I assume you're referring to the new new Azemour, like what just got restocked to LuckyScent? I have a 12ml travel spray of 2015 or 2016 Azemour, then a 50ml that is older, the original style presentation with the flared, curved cap. There's some noticeable differences between them but I think they're both fantastic. I smelled the newer before the older. The older bottle is a bit darker/less fresh up top, the newer stuff seems somehow drier, not at all in a bad way. I love how it manages to meld green & leafy, juicy citrus, dry mossy/chypre citrus, and a handful of other unexpected spicy and earthy elements.

I'm kind of curious now, maybe time for a 2019 sample to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I'm glad I was able to sell it to a BN friend who (I think) appreciates it much more than I do.
    Oh, does he ever. Easily one of the best pickups this year. I'd say 80% of the time I buy something, at some point in the back of my head there's the thought "you might sell it eventually". That never even crossed my mind and would be surprised if it ever did.

Ambre Russe too? What a shame.

Happy I got my bottle of Azemour early, and it should last me. The original creation is special work. Unfortunately, it seems that the extra special perfumes are so vulnerable to a FxxX Up by: change in supplier, reformulation by regulation, harvest quality of the naturals, or just bad craftsmanship. Sorry to hear of it!
    june 2021: • strangers yuzu soda • bigarade concentree • afternoon swim • epice marine • hermessence brin d' reglisse • iridescent sky • burberry indigo • frapin orchid man • eau radieuse humecki & graef • geranium pour monsieur • l'eau mixte nicolai • l. vuitton orage • molecule 01+patchouli • vilhelm morning chess • initio rehab • m/mink

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post

Whoa! I saw this post just in time, 3 hours before the deadline!

Thank you so much, Caz -- I got a 100ml of the old bottle for $128 flat. (The new 50ml bottles they have are $110.)

So happy!

.................................................. .........
    Last edited by pluran; 17th March 2021 at 08:30 AM.

Can anyone else attest to the relative quality of the new version (on its own merits) now that it has been out for longer?

Basenotes Member

I haven't tried the original, but my recent sample I found to be very good. Based on reading reviews of older formulations I assume what people are upset about is that the mossiness isn't as dominant before. My sample certainly still has an oakmoss accord, but it is balanced against the orange top notes and white floral mid. Top notes are absolutely wonderful, one of the best oranges I have sampled. While I can see the comparison to Eau Sauvage, it is definitely mossier than Eau Sauvage and certainly doing its own thing. I suggest trying a sample of it if you're interested it may not be what it used to be but it is certainly still a top tier citrus+moss scent.

MD > LA > NYC > Chicago > MSP > NYC > LA > Seattle

I have never been able to smell the older formulation, but I love the newer bottle I have.

I love the sample I tried of the current stuff. I am holding off on a purchase in the hopes of trying the vintage stuff first, but probably shouldn't hold my breath.

MD > LA > NYC > Chicago > MSP > NYC > LA > Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    I love the sample I tried of the current stuff. I am holding off on a purchase in the hopes of trying the vintage stuff first, but probably shouldn't hold my breath.
    Someone was offering a vintage bottle on the for sale board a while back, but it was pretty pricey. I definitely want to get my mitts on an old bottle as well.

I decided to blind buy a bottle, as I saw a few good reviews of the current (from Scentinel among others) and had a good price on it. Fingers crossed, but your responses are all reassuring! Looking forward to trying it.

Basenotes Member

I would love to get a sample of the old stuff as well. My guess is the oakmoss got turned down around 2017 or so to comply with the atranol ban in the EU. I'm confused as to why the EU response to these chemicals in fine fragrance is to outright ban them. An allergen warning you would think should be good enough, especially in such relatively niche products that aren't widely used. I could understand bans in soaps etc. as there seems to be more accident potential there, I mean who checks the ingredients of the soap at a public place such as a restaurant before using it? Fragrances seem to have a much higher bar to such a problem. Hopefully someday low atranol oakmosses and synthetics eventually can bring back the accord properly.