Code of Conduct
Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1680

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2020

Choices here are Rogue's Chypre-Siam.... but probably Aramis Devin to start the day; then Caron Yatagan (yes, I know there are arguments about whether this is a proper chypre), and finally C-S.
    A September rotation of vetiver and leather : Etro Gomma and Vetiver; Hermes Equipage and Bel Ami; Caron Yatagan; Knize Ten; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Lalique Encre Noire; Gucci Guilty Absolute; Puig Quorum.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Etro

Basenotes Plus

I missed the synch last week, so I really want to make it this week, especially since I am something of a chypre devotee. What SHALL I wear?

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DrTricia View Post
    I missed the synch last week, so I really want to make it this week, especially since I am something of a chypre devotee. What SHALL I wear?
    Mitsouko?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

This thread might help:

Best Chypre

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    This thread might help:

Best Chypre
    That thread works for me. Those users were mostly active when I started following this site. That's a classic Basenotes thread, for my tastes. Through a combination of having sampled a bunch, and having interacted with a bunch of people in that thread, to have a sense of where they're coming from, my takeaways are:

Acqua di Parma Profumo and Chanel Pour Monsieur.

These are the ones sticking most closely to the ideal Chypre, as I understand it. After that, maybe Sagamore, and then Mitsouko as the first variation, fruity chypre. The version of Coty Chypre I tried wouldn't be in the running, oddly. Also, lots of things, such as Antaeus, that are referred to as chypres don't smell like chypres to me. Then the whole meaning of chypre can come into question, in my mind, and it can boil down to "not an oriental" and "no obvious soap note that makes it a fougere."

Etienne Aigner No. 1 (or simply Etienne Aigner) is a chypre, to me. It has some vanilla (I seem to recall), but it's a small enough change from the blueprint that it's still essentially the same as Chanel Pour Monsieur et al. to me - a chypre. In this case I don't get leather, etc. making it something different, which is how I usually see it described. So Etienne Aigner, to me, is a chypre by smell, and not just by process of elimination (as with Antaeus).
    Last edited by Bavard; 6th August 2020 at 02:42 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Then the whole meaning of chypre can come into question, in my mind, and it can boil down to "not an oriental" and "no obvious soap note that makes it a fougere."
    After a decade of reading about and sniffing chypres, I've concluded that trying to strictly define the category is both a minefield and a bore -- especially with the advent of "modern chypres" that request admittance to the clubhouse after replacing oakmoss with patchouli. If something is less than 30 years old and doesn't contain oakmoss, labdanum, and bergamot, I just mentally shift it over into its primary scent family: citrus, leather, floral, etc.

Any category that can contain Shocking, Azuree, Mitsouko and Chanel Pour Monsieur is just too elastic to be of any real use to me. Telling me that a perfume I haven't smelled is "oriental" at least gives me some idea of what to expect; calling a fragrance "chypre" does not.

Blog Entries

l'm not really a chypre girl, so with apologies to Cook.bot l'll be wearing a "modern chypre" tomorrow: Goutal's Eau du Sud. lt does have bergamot & oakmoss, but no labdanum, & is probably best thought of as a citrus-aromatic. lt is, however, perfect for the sweltering temperatures we're now experiencing here.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l'm not really a chypre girl, so with apologies to Cook.bot l'll be wearing a "modern chypre" tomorrow: Goutal's Eau du Sud. lt does have bergamot & oakmoss, but no labdanum, & is probably best thought of as a citrus-aromatic. lt is, however, perfect for the sweltering temperatures we're now experiencing here.
    No apologies needed for me! I *love* Eau du Sud, whatever category it goes in. And other modern chypres too, especially the original Bottega Veneta EDP (which I think of as a floral leather, but BV calls a chypre).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    No apologies needed for me! I *love* Eau du Sud, whatever category it goes in. And other modern chypres too, especially the original Bottega Veneta EDP (which I think of as a floral leather, but BV calls a chypre).
    Yay, thanks Cook.bot! l feel validated.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

If best chypre is the main theme of the sync, might have just enough in to current lineup to qualify for eventually joining in

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    That thread works for me. Those users were mostly active when I started following this site. That's a classic Basenotes thread, for my tastes. Through a combination of having sampled a bunch, and having interacted with a bunch of people in that thread, to have a sense of where they're coming from, my takeaways are:

Acqua di Parma Profumo and Chanel Pour Monsieur.

These are the ones sticking most closely to the ideal Chypre, as I understand it. After that, maybe Sagamore, and then Mitsouko as the first variation, fruity chypre. The version of Coty Chypre I tried wouldn't be in the running, oddly. Also, lots of things, such as Antaeus, that are referred to as chypres don't smell like chypres to me. Then the whole meaning of chypre can come into question, in my mind, and it can boil down to "not an oriental" and "no obvious soap note that makes it a fougere."

Etienne Aigner No. 1 (or simply Etienne Aigner) is a chypre, to me. It has some vanilla (I seem to recall), but it's a small enough change from the blueprint that it's still essentially the same as Chanel Pour Monsieur et al. to me - a chypre. In this case I don't get leather, etc. making it something different, which is how I usually see it described. So Etienne Aigner, to me, is a chypre by smell, and not just by process of elimination (as with Antaeus).
    Perhaps Mr. S will allow me to break into his cabinet where the Chanel Pour Monsieur lives. Now, is it Pour Monsieur or some other variation on the name that I want? I think this is the one with all the different names, no? Or maybe I’ll dig out my Cartier So Pretty. I didn’t know that was a chypre. I still have an unopened box from years ago when it was my everyday scent (after Opium and I had a falling out — since mended). Or Mitsouko.
    Sigh. So many chypres. So little time.

I have quite a few choices in this category, but I will probably go with Sous le vent since it's in my rotation this month. I might change to Knowing for the evening.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Mitsouko?
    I might, but I was trying not to fall back on her, yet again.

is it Pour Monsieur or some other variation on the name that I want?
    Chanel for Men

Basenotes Plus

Perhaps Mr. S will allow me to break into his cabinet where the Chanel Pour Monsieur lives. Now, is it Pour Monsieur or some other variation on the name that I want?
    As Bavard says, Chanel for Men, but also A Gentleman’s Cologne. And you can raid my stash anytime.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    As Bavard says, Chanel for Men, but also A Gentleman’s Cologne. And you can raid my stash anytime.
    But, I’m not a gentleman. Life is hard.

I have discovered that in addition to intense spicy/sweet orientals and florientals, "classic" chypres ( as opposed to fruity, etc. etc.) are among my very favorites. I've got *three* of my desert island scents I'm going to try to get to tomorrow: Chypre Palatin, Chypre Mousse, and Sous Le Vent.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 7th August 2020 at 12:44 PM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson
    Currently wearing: Idole de Lubin by Lubin

Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I have shalimar in my chypre category along with dior eau sauvage, chanel pm, monsieur by givenchy.

Am i getting it all wrong?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    Choices here are Rogue's Chypre-Siam.... but probably Aramis Devin to start the day; then Caron Yatagan (yes, I know there are arguments about whether this is a proper chypre), and finally C-S.
    Chypre-Siam would be an excellent pick

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by satyen View Post
    I have shalimar in my chypre category along with dior eau sauvage, chanel pm, monsieur by givenchy.

Am i getting it all wrong?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Shalimar is the classic oriental, but your other choices would fit, l think!

Basenotes Plus

But, I’m not a gentleman. Life is hard.
    I'd wear this as Syncro, however I am no gentleman nor rogue.
    It'll be Genny for me!
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

I am not a chypre girl and I was waiting for this synch with a hint of worry. I'm synching with Cabochard by Grès today - a leather chypre that I blind bought during quarantine because of boredom, curiosity and the want to learn and because I read it's similar to Bandit that I tried and liked before. Let's say I didn't find them that similar and let's say I didn't fall in love with Cabochard at first wear. I am not a chypre girl. I'm also unable to smell leather in it so far, only moss and greenness, but hopefully I will learn.
    It's a sunny summer morning of the day that's going to be quite hot - and I find Cabochard very pleasantly cooling today. I have never went to work in it so far and only wore it at home in the evenings, and it would be so mouldy and musty and sweetly-vomity mossy and difficult. Today it opened up rather bright, aromatic, herbal and cooling, and I find it calming and beautifully dry today. It even feels to have a soapy edge that I find very relaxing today - and I'm usually not a fan of soapy. I should rethink many things that I think I like or dislike. Maybe I enjoy Cabochard after all. This looks like a good day and occasion for a new friendship.

Hello all

Y by Yves Saint Laurent 1964 feminine edp version.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Slow Dance by Byredo

Vintage Diorella

375x500.226.jpg
    Last edited by fanny; 7th August 2020 at 01:40 PM.

Chypre is my favourite perfume category. Fortunately I have hoarded plenty of bottles of the vintage formulations of those beauties. Today I reached for

Aromatics Elixir

because it works well in the heat wave we are currently undergoing.
    Currently wearing: Aël-Mat by Lostmarc'h

Clarins Eau Dynamisante.
    This seems to be classed as a "treatment" chypre.
    It is supposed to tone the skin but I take that claim with
    a pinch of salt! It smells wonderful though.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Shalimar is the classic oriental, but your other choices would fit, l think!
    What she said

I brought only 1 scent that could count as a Chypre on my holidays, Mona di Orio Carnation but the sample leaked and there's nothing left to spray on my person. So I'm with you in spirit this week, well, that is, my luggage is. It smells amazing.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    This looks like a good day and occasion for a new friendship.
    And in times such as these, a new friend is a wonderful thing!
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

Page 47 of 56 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast