Code of Conduct

Default The writing instruments thread

Seems like there are a few threads here about watches, shoes and grooming, but I've seen nothing about pens, mechanical pencils and other writing instruments. So for the discussion of these things - luxury or otherwise - discuss away right here.

I personally have owned Parker pens in the past, but more recently have a Waterman. I wonder if people think Montblanc are good, worth it, etc. Any opinions?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: The writing instruments thread

I like the Montblanc high-end pens, but prefer the Montegrappa high-end offerings of which I own a few.
    Last edited by hednic; 5th December 2019 at 03:27 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Nice to see a thread on writing instruments. I can’t speak for every model of Montblanc but I use a Meisterstück 144 in Fine and a 146 in Medium and find them excellent writers.

For many years I thought of Montblanc as merely for snob appeal and wanted nothing to do with them—until I wrote with one. That turned me into a fan. The thing is it’s best to try a pen before buying to see if you like the feel of it and the look it gives to your script. If you do follow up, rum, I’d be interested in your impressions.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Pens are too easy to lose for me to invest in a really nice one, so I've never gotten into this hobby. That said, I know a few die-hard pen enthusiasts and they're adamant that there's a growing crop of budget Chinese and Indian penmakers that are delivering great value. Accordingly, I have a Jinhao fountain pen that I use with Montblanc ink cartridges. It writes very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Nice to see a thread on writing instruments. I can’t speak for every model of Montblanc but I use a Meisterstück 144 in Fine and a 146 in Medium and find them excellent writers.

For many years I thought of Montblanc as merely for snob appeal and wanted nothing to do with them—until I wrote with one. That turned me into a fan. The thing is it’s best to try a pen before buying to see if you like the feel of it and the look it gives to your script. If you do follow up, rum, I’d be interested in your impressions.
    Thanks for this - in a way this is what I was hoping not to hear!
    I am looking at the Le Grand range as I like the balance and feel of it. It's between rollerball and fountain in my case - both write very well and the rollerball seems less messy to me. I've owned fountain pens in the past. I just can't risk another leaky-pen-and-shirt incident.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I've always wanted to get a nice writing pen. The most I've ever spent was probably around $10 for one at Staples. I've never looked out in the wild outside of stores like Staples or Target. As far as brick 'n mortar stores, in the US, where are some good places to look?

For regular office use, I always go with Pilot G-2, Bold
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

So far, the most expensive one did ever own and use was an early 90s Lamy fountain pen, but would hardly call it high end.

Other than this, the one that got most daily use including several exams for both high school and university plus daily use during most if not all classes during university was a sturdy Herlitz pen, also from the (this time mid to late) 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    As far as brick 'n mortar stores, in the US, where are some good places to look?
    There aren't any chain stores I'd recommend. You're best bet is to find a boutique that specializes in pen and paper.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I've always wanted to get a nice writing pen. The most I've ever spent was probably around $10 for one at Staples. I've never looked out in the wild outside of stores like Staples or Target. As far as brick 'n mortar stores, in the US, where are some good places to look?

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/storesofnote/usa.html

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Thanks for the link! Looks like nothing close to me. My city isn't listed.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

As far as brick 'n mortar stores, in the US, where are some good places to look?
    Levenger
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I have some really nice pens but my everyday ones are by the German company Kaweco ( https://www.kaweco-pen.com/en/). Great pens, very inexpensive, lots of different styles and a great logo. The sport model is my favorite:
    Kaweco.jpg
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

Basenotes Plus

For everyday use, I prefer Pilot G-2 rollerball pens. Super smooth, and the ink lasts a very long time.

So many pen stores have closed in the last few years, with fountain pen sales shifting to online. This can be okay for people who already know their preferences and are familiar with the characteristics of various brands but for a person who wants to get the feel of a pen and nib, online is not very helpful.

There may be some places in different areas that carry fountain pens; the marcuslink list is very good for major known pen stores but is not all-inclusive. It’s worth doing a search in one’s own area as some smaller pen and paper stores have been popping up.

Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

I use exclusively fountain pens, and have several. The Pilot Custom 823 is my favorite: it's very smooth and holds a lot of ink.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    For everyday use, I prefer Pilot G-2 rollerball pens. Super smooth, and the ink lasts a very long time.
    Sharpie came out with some gel pens and giving my G-2 Bold pens a run for their money!

Anderson Pens in the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago was really good, but it closed with the pandemic. I guess it remains to be seen if they will reopen.
    WTB: Chanel Sycomore EDT
    My sale thread

For writing at any angle, or underwater, or in a vacuum, I think my Fisher Space pens are pretty neat - can get that last note off before one expires.

I also like using Chinese tactical pens with Parker refills - they work well and are handy for breaking windscreens, should a car I'm in ever find itself under water. And they're so big, I rarely misplace them.
    Regards,
    Renato

What can you say about Waterman pens? They are slightly cheaper than Mont Blanc. But I heard that they are not bad in quality and it seems to me, but everything needs to be tried and compared.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice Callan View Post
    What can you say about Waterman pens? They are slightly cheaper than Mont Blanc. But I heard that they are not bad in quality and it seems to me, but everything needs to be tried and compared.
    Waterman has a long history and good reputation for quality. Their website says their fine pens are made in France. Maybe that means they have some lower-end lines made elsewhere. It's true that it's best if you can try a pen to see if you like the nib size and style and if it feels good in your hand, especially if you haven't used the brand before. Are you already a fountain pen user? What kind of pens have you liked in the past?

I have Waterman pens, from old family pens to pens made in the 2000s and they're all good.

Basenotes Junkie

Peter Draws' prefered pen is the technical pen Rotring isograph 0.35mm
    this kind of pen fascinates me, but i'm not sure i'll enjoy the scratchiness of the tip on the paper, I like smooth tips
    but the qualityof the lines is unprecedented

I am fascinated by fountain pens for journaling.

My pride and joy is a sterling silver Pilot dragon.

I have four Watermans which are really great, dependable pens. My Waterman Opera has appreciated a bit in value and is fairly elegant.

My brother is a thrifty but thoughtful gift giver. He sent me a very inexpensive Hondigan. It has shocked me how much I like it.
    Really nice and unexpected at that price point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice Callan View Post
    I have four and think they are awesome. I can attest they are well made, top quality and durable.

I would advise trying to sample write with the medium point and fine point to see which you prefer. It's also good to get the feel for different sizes and finishes in your hand.

Though a bit "heavy," I prefer the medium point personally.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

I was given a Kaweco Sport as a stocking stuffer and, as affordable as it is, it writes like a dream.