Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Default Re: Your Perfume Rotations in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by khanada View Post
    How do you guys do this? I don’t think I can.

My perfume tray is stuffed to its gills. I just tried to work in some new bottles, and I couldn’t bring myself to remove that I already have in it. I have also run out of storage space and I am starting to contemplate a little refrigerator for the vintage items, and other things that seem delicate. All I am certain about, is that I plan on wearing lots of Ormonde Jayne. I have bought 3 different OJs in the last couple of months, and now, I want them all. Hash tag Ormonde Jayne goals.
    I used to have a much larger perfume wardrobe and I know it would of been much harder to select a monthly rotation from 200+ bottles than my current 35 - 40 bottles. If you really want to give rotations a go, maybe give a weekly rotation a try instead of trying to force yourself into a longer rotation. The last few months, I had to change up my rotation mid month and I think that our state's very strict Covid 19 lockdown rules were the reason I need to mix it up every two weeks instead of my normal 4 weeks. The bottom line is perfume wearing is meant to be fun and enjoyable and any perfume rotation should reflect that too. Also, I think of my rotations as guidelines and that it is o.k. to chose something that's not in the current rotation if that scent is going to bring me the most joy/happiness that day.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by khanada View Post
    How do you guys do this? I donít think I can.

My perfume tray is stuffed to its gills. I just tried to work in some new bottles, and I couldnít bring myself to remove that I already have in it. I have also run out of storage space and I am starting to contemplate a little refrigerator for the vintage items, and other things that seem delicate. All I am certain about, is that I plan on wearing lots of Ormonde Jayne. I have bought 3 different OJs in the last couple of months, and now, I want them all. Hash tag Ormonde Jayne goals.
    Iíve been doing this since maybe 2017 or 2018, so I have a process by now. A few highlights:

1. I do my best to keep track of my daily and monthly wears. I record my most worn and put notes in my phone and that means that I have a pretty good idea of what fragrances I like to wear when.

2. My perfumes are in my walk-in closet but my monthly rotation is out on my dresser.

3. If nothing in my dresser tray is speaking to me, I can visit the closet. I can also wear samples anytime or participate in synchs unrelated to my rotation.

4. If I donít want to finish out a rotation, I change it.

5. If I get something new, itís automatically part of that monthís rotation.

I use my rotations to encourage myself to wear what I have instead of buying more, to use up things that are low, and to engage with fragrances that arenít my dumb reaches. I also use them to determine when I no longer want a fragrance. If it sat on my rotation for a whole season without being worn, maybe I donít need it anymore.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Hello folks. This looks like a fun thread and I do need a little structure because Iím all over the map right now. I have 3 perfume locations; my dresser top, my dresser drawers (yes, plural) and my closet. So, hereís my question. What strategy do you use in picking your monthly bottles? Do you pull out a few bottles of different types of fragrance (a few chypres, some florals, some orientals)? Do you do monthly ďtypesĒ (May is an all green note month, for example)? Do you say, ď what the hell, I want to wear ďfill-in-the-blankĒ this month, etc. Iím curious to hear how you make your picks.
    So many fragrances, so little time.

Sillage Monster

For me, usually it's a highly intuitive selection process beyond rational explanation. That said, seasonality is an influence and recent purchases get a lot of wear.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.
    Currently wearing: No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

For me, usually it's a highly intuitive selection process beyond rational explanation. That said, seasonality is an influence and recent purchases get a lot of wear.

Thanks Trilby. That would probably be my approach but was curious!

I'm expanding for November. I've had a few wearings of the (1) new Egoiste, and I like it, but I haven't made a deep bond yet. I had to bring back (2) Bijan for Men because I missed it too much.

Givenchy Gentleman and Bel Ami are the two that were dropped. Tough decisions. I thought about keeping Bel Ami and dropping Polo, but changed my mind at the last second. I thought (3) Polo might go better with Bijan for Men.

I can't remember how (4) Yatagan got in there. (5) Jules and (6) Antaeus had to stay because I've been crushing on them. I wanted to give (7) Chypre-Siam another run. (8) Elie Saab Vetiver is back by popular demand. Also, the lavender notes in (9) Mouchoir de Monsieur and (10) Monsieur de Givenchy have been working well here.

IMG_1279.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire5453 View Post
    Hello folks. This looks like a fun thread and I do need a little structure because I’m all over the map right now. I have 3 perfume locations; my dresser top, my dresser drawers (yes, plural) and my closet. So, here’s my question. What strategy do you use in picking your monthly bottles? Do you pull out a few bottles of different types of fragrance (a few chypres, some florals, some orientals)? Do you do monthly “types” (May is an all green note month, for example)? Do you say, “ what the hell, I want to wear “fill-in-the-blank” this month, etc. I’m curious to hear how you make your picks.
    It depends. Sometimes we do theme months together, though we haven’t in awhile. Sometimes our family and significant others help us choose. A lot of us have a somewhat seasonal approach. I do pick a sampling of certain genres each month. I almost always have something chypre, something sweet, something citrus, something floral, something that smells black, and something that smells white or gray. If there’s something I wore a lot last year at this time, I’ll usually add it this year. Sometimes I do a whole mathematical approach and preset my rotations for several months at a time so that I can get enough wearings in of something I want to use up.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    It depends. Sometimes we do theme months together, though we haven’t in awhile. Sometimes our family and significant others help us choose. A lot of us have a somewhat seasonal approach. I do pick a sampling of certain genres each month. I almost always have something chypre, something sweet, something citrus, something floral, something that smells black, and something that smells white or gray. If there’s something I wore a lot last year at this time, I’ll usually add it this year. Sometimes I do a whole mathematical approach and preset my rotations for several months at a time so that I can get enough wearings in of something I want to use up.
    Sounds like a good approach. I’m still renewing my fragrance wardrobe and have several new bottles and am having a hard time choosing! Plus, I want to do some testing ( chypre testing going on now) so I’m all over the place. I’m going to have to give myself a dose of discipline!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Sometimes our family and significant others help us choose.
    Eight of my 10 selections are SO approved. As long as Elie Saab Vetiver is in there, she's happy. (I only spray Chypre-Siam after she leaves for the day.)

The little guy tried some Antaeus the other day and seemed to like it. It seems like he stood slightly taller.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Eight of my 10 selections are SO approved. As long as Elie Saab Vetiver is in there, she's happy. (I only spray Chypre-Siam after she leaves for the day.)

The little guy tried some Antaeus the other day and seemed to like it. It seems like he stood slightly taller.
    That’s pretty cute!

Usually I first try to choose scents I haven't worn in a while and then add scents I feel like wearing. If some are too similar I ask the bf to choose between them.

My rotations don't seem to work for me if there are too many scents that are similar in theme/genre or have a similar feel to each other so I tend to do a mix - light, dark, dry, sweet, floral, green, etc. I have several all year round scents in my perfume wardrobe but Eau Rose by Diptyque is the only perfume that is in every rotation, it's all rose but different temps and relative humidity ranges bring out different supporting notes so I'm very happy to wear it several times during each month.

Sillage Monster

November:
    Aromatics Elixir
    Black Opium
    Black Vetiver Cafe
    Cinnabar
    Coze
    Dune
    Mon Guerlain
    Tuscany per Donna
    Unknown Pleasures
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.
    Currently wearing: No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

It has been a very cold spring so far here (more winter temps than spring) and that made choosing my November rotation a bit harder than normal. Wasn't sure how many warm weather scents to include....

34 Boulevard St Germain EDT - Diptyque
    Coco Mademoiselle EDP Intense - Guerlain
    Doe in the Snow - 4160 Tuesdays
    Eau Rose - Diptyque
    Ginger Biscuit - Jo Malone
    L'Instant Magic - Guerlain
    LPRN Black Perfecto EDP - Guerlain
    LPRN Eau Fraiche - Guerlain
    Moonlight Patchouli - VC&A
    Raw Silk & Red Roses - 4160 Tuesdays

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleCat View Post
    My rotations don't seem to work for me if there are too many scents that are similar in theme/genre or have a similar feel to each other so I tend to do a mix - light, dark, dry, sweet, floral, green, etc. I have several all year round scents in my perfume wardrobe but Eau Rose by Diptyque is the only perfume that is in every rotation, it's all rose but different temps and relative humidity ranges bring out different supporting notes so I'm very happy to wear it several times during each month.
    Yes, I tend toward green florals and have several different ones so it’s often too many of the same genre. I’m going to try your approach.
    I’m about to embark on a rose scent testing so I shall add Eau Rose to my list. Thanks for that!

Just putting this here in retrospect.
    October rotation of vetiver, leather and forest notes: Etro Gomma and Vetiver; Hermes Equipage and Bel Ami; Caron Yatagan; Knize Ten; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Lalique Encre Noire; Gucci Guilty Absolute; CdG Black; Puig Quorum, TF Noir Anthracite.
    A November rotation meandering around leather, forest, incense and vetiver : Bottega Veneta EdP, Knize 10, GGA, Yatagan, Quorum, Jacomo de Jacomo, Zagorsk, Etro Vetiver, Encre Noire. Penhaligon's Elixir, Casbah, Shaal Nur
    Currently wearing: Shaal Nur by Etro

November rotation (meandering around leather, forest, incense, vetiver)

Bottega Veneta EdP
    Knize 10
    GGA
    Yatagan
    Quorum
    Jacomo de Jacomo
    CdG Zagorsk
    Etro Vetiver
    Encre Noire
    Penhaligon's Elixir
    Casbah
    Etro Shaal Nur
    A November rotation meandering around leather, forest, incense and vetiver : Bottega Veneta EdP, Knize 10, GGA, Yatagan, Quorum, Jacomo de Jacomo, Zagorsk, Etro Vetiver, Encre Noire. Penhaligon's Elixir, Casbah, Shaal Nur
    Currently wearing: Shaal Nur by Etro

November I plan to wear these

Dior homme
    Bois des iles edt
    Winter palace
    Messe de minuit
    Samsara edp (vtg)
    Chene
    Gaultier 2
    Musc Ravageur
    Ta'if
    Angel

Trying the rotation approach: Serge Lutens, Sa Majeste La Rose; Bruno Fazzolari, Au dela Narcisse; Arquiste, Flor y Canto; Tom Ford, Vert de Fleur; Clinique, Aromatics Elixir; HermŤs Caleche Fleurs de Mediterranee; Ormonde Jayne, Tiare; Hiram Green, Moon Bloom; Chanel, Bel Respiro. As I put these out I realize that I should try a few different genres once in a while besides florals, greens and chypres. But I love them sooooo much.
    Last edited by Sapphire5453; 3rd November 2020 at 10:47 PM.

My winter rotation:

Mugler Aura
    Serge Lutens Bois de Violette
    Prada Infusion d'Iris Absolue
    Indult Tihota
    Nicolai Kiss Me Intense
    Frederic Malle l'Eau d'Hiver
    Helmut Lang EDP
    Guerlain l'Instant de Guerlain

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6