Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    All Is Beautiful

Default Re: Vintage Fragrances I bought today - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Love at first sniff yesterday with Portos Balenciaga, so I ended up buying 1 more 30ml today; at approx CAD $3.00/ml, it's not cheap, but it's about 3 times better than all fragrances available out there While I was buying this, my eyes wandered and I ended up with few more...

Incredible haul. Great going!
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

Quartz will always lie in the shadow of the "great" Captain which is an oakmoss on steroid vtg; however, Quartz is not an oakmoss bomb, it does not have to be. It's got an citrusy apple opening, which isn't your on your face fruity spray, but pretty nice. Base after about 3-4 hrs is mix of mild yet persistent ambery, musks and woods, more cedar from what i get. the bottle / cap are nice too. It's contrasting to have both Captain and Quartz from this house...

Enigme - i had a lot of reservations after seeing 1 review on basenotes but this house was one of the first ones I actually started using a perfume from (Monsieur), so i took the chance and i am not disappointed. Spicy opening after which I lost track as I got busy; now about 5 hrs later, the drydown is sublime - reminds me of the great By Man but softer due to woods, primarily SW, fighting with amber and vanilla / patchouli. No regrets buying this one...I had this on my mind for a few months now as a store I normally buy from had this marked for 200+ as it was the only bottle and refused to sell to me - more a showpiece item than anything else. So I started being on the lookout and I am glad I bought it...

Now I need some help from you fine noses please.

Anyone have any info on Aubusson Futuros - I took a spray on a paper tester but lost it...How is this one?

Also thoughts on fragrances released from Sergio Soldano / Les Copains / Oleg Cassini / Missoni / Daniel Hechter?

Finally - I am going to start looking for Cartier fragrances - to date, I have had samples, tested them over the years but never have bought a single one. So let me know your favorites please.
    What a score for the King.
    Plus an enticing reviews to boot
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Basenotes Plus

Anyone have any info on Aubusson Futuros - I took a spray on a paper tester but lost it...How is this one?
    You know, I just wore this last week, and I can’t recall in much detail what I thought, beyond, “this is good enough to try again in the future, but not an instant rave.” I’ll try to break it out to give you a more considered review, though that’s tough in the middle of a swap/sync as I’m usually a one-scent-a-day guy.

Also thoughts on fragrances released from … Oleg Cassini / Missoni … ?
    Just got Missoni Uomo, but probably won’t try it on before February. I wore my 1970s Jovan-issued Oleg Cassini for Men and loved it, though of course your mileage may vary. I haven’t tried the more recent (‘80s–‘90s) version that’s easier to come by, but if I remember correctly, Marand75 swears by it.

I am going to start looking for Cartier fragrances - to date, I have had samples, tested them over the years but never have bought a single one. So let me know your favorites please.
    Vintage Santos rocks, and vintage Pasha is great, too. Can’t comment on the rest: the only other Cartier I’ve tried is Santos Eau de Sport, which I found quite unappetizing.

Thanks guys. Last 4 years were hectic to the point that I didn't have anything close to a work-life balance. Obviously, I was unable to even wear majority of my fragrances. I have decided 2020 will not be the same and I am spending more quality time with family / friends, making sure my vacation not taken from last year is being used up this year and already had a mini trip to a ski resort for 3-4 days. Plus, I am starting to look for my fav fragrances - basically vintage genome. I have spent a lot of $ over the years on vintage / current / niche / pure oud etc and none seem to match vintages. Yes, I still enjoy a Green Irish Tweed or others from this era, but I feel content when I take a spray of a NK Incense or a By Man or (the greatest leather ever) Bel Ami or my most used vtg Eau Sauvage vtg. So a purge will happen sometime over the next year or 2 where a lot of fragrances released after 1990 will get given away to family / friends etc. Will still be holding on to way more than what I need but it'll stay with the family. As for buying - vintages, Slumberhouse and a select one or 2 here and there from current released only. Over the last few years, getting on to basenotes for few minutes a day was a major stress reliever - how would I have survived without the Aventus batch threads and you all in particular ...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    That's pretty, but you could beat that price, I'm sure. I was offered an 8-ounce bottle of the same presentation a year or so ago, at the same price as that 4-ounce. A little bit sorry now that I didn't buy it. (And I think they're probably correct about the date; 1989 or earlier.)
    Ah, okay, wasn't sure if the late 90's/early 00's or something one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    That ad is really interesting. If they're correct about the date (1946), it would pre-date the Roudnitska creation of Eau d'Hermes (1951). Never seen that bottle before, either.

(I tried to get that image to reproduce here, but it's protected against linking.)
    It is interesting.. I wonder if it's similar or not, if he was working off the backbone of another frag, or if it's entirely different or what.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Ani by Nishane

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    You know, I just wore this last week, and I can’t recall in much detail what I thought, beyond, “this is good enough to try again in the future, but not an instant rave.” I’ll try to break it out to give you a more considered review, though that’s tough in the middle of a swap/sync as I’m usually a one-scent-a-day guy.

Just got Missoni Uomo, but probably won’t try it on before February. I wore my 1970s Jovan-issued Oleg Cassini for Men and loved it, though of course your mileage may vary. I haven’t tried the more recent (‘80s–‘90s) version that’s easier to come by, but if I remember correctly, Marand75 swears by it.

Vintage Santos rocks, and vintage Pasha is great, too. Can’t comment on the rest: the only other Cartier I’ve tried is Santos Eau de Sport, which I found quite unappetizing.
    Reason for going after the Oleg Cassini pour homme and Missoni Olympios were due to them being quite a bit animalic. And I was referring to the earlier releases.

As for Aubusson, I think I might have one from theirs, a newer release which is heavy on cardamom - has a twist spray mechanism if memory serves me right.

On Cartier, i have started reading some old thread for pointers on which vintage versions to look for.

Dependent

Halston Z-14 4.2oz spray. Not sure I've ever tried this before, but I know it's kind of a cult fav or some such. Anyways, I've known about the Jeff Gordon version for years because it still lists oakmoss in it - but I was also thinking that EA is bad. However, EA made the Jeff Gordon version, so. Also, the Jeff Gordon lists a longer # of ingredients, so I'm assuming that's post ~2003. The one I just bought only lists alcohol, water, and fragrance, so I'm assuming it's pre-Jeff Gordon (but still EA). When did EA buy the rights to it?

I'm assuming this is ~1991 to ~2004 due to having a barcode (~1991) and shorter list of ingredients (up until ~2004). Am I right in that assumption?

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Ani by Nishane

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Finally.

Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Finally.

A great one. Congratulations.

Finally.

How does this smell? Worth owning if I have knize ten already?

Quote Originally Posted by Nattyboh74 View Post
    How does this smell? Worth owning if I have knize ten already?
    Much different from K10, more in the orbit of Bel Ami / Bel Ami Vetiver / Puredistance M / Fetish pour Homme; but more restrained leather, and an effortless, suave appeal, similar in 'personality' (not notes) to Bogart Signature, R de Capucci and vintage Paco Rabanne pour Homme. This is my review of it -

Moschino pour Homme is very much a leathery chypre, rather than an oriental. I do not get any oriental nuances here, any such element is definitely in the far background. Moschino pour Homme is firmly in the territories of leathery chypres such as Bandit, Derby and Bel Ami. It is closest to the latter. The mossy aspects are more prominent relative to vintage Bel Ami, but underplayed relative to other vintage mossy leathers such as Davidoff and Blend 30.

The key attribute to Moschino pour Homme is the great compositional balance, where a styrax driven leather accord rests harmoniously on a chypre foundation laced with a deft blend of herbs and florals. The floral aspects are hardly discernible, but add depth and complexity. The herbs add a cool, suave freshness that is retained throughout. There is almost no spicy element, unlike Bel Ami. The exploration of leather is also not as bold as in Bel Ami. Instead, it is almost as if Moschino pour Homme, released in 1990, offers a lens through which one can review and recap the diverse stylistic elements of masculine fragrances in the 70s and 80s.

Moschino pour Homme is refined, approachable, restrained and gentlemanly, but with adequate presence. It sits on one's skin with a soft but persistent sillage, and has a duration of about six to seven hours, which is adequate for its concentration. The only reason Moschino pour Homme doesn't get a higher rating is because of personal tastes - I find like it enough but not quite love it. This is perhaps my mind playing tricks - but Moschino pour Homme has a quality, perhaps an effortless demeanour, that takes it dangerously close to 'something classic, something Italian' territory.

Tip: If you're after Bel Ami (particularly earlier versions), I would strongly suggest to ignore the current Bel Ami, and sample (subject to budget) Puredistance M for 'vintage Bel Ami', Moschino pour Homme for 'Bel Ami light' and Bel Ami Vetiver for a nice modern twist on Bel Ami.

3.5/5 (positive)
    except that I'd perhaps upgrade my rating to 4/5.

Great review and an excellent buy, freewheelingvagabond...

Great review and an excellent buy, freewheelingvagabond...
    Thanks, and wish you happy 2020!

Basenotes Plus

Moschino pour Homme is a smart dumb reach.

Freed from BN Institution

Finally.

Well done

A great dumb reach scent and backup bottle worthy.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Well done

A great dumb reach scent and backup bottle worthy.
    Should I look for that style box, or are there other indicators I should be looking out for

Should I look for that style box, or are there other indicators I should be looking out for
    I don't think this was reformulated.

Apparently it didn't have the effect vtg Bel Ami had on the world although 1-2 here disagree

Jokes aside, it's a solid leather that I would have in my top 5.

Always be smelling

Quartz will always lie in the shadow of the "great" Captain which is an oakmoss on steroid vtg; however, Quartz is not an oakmoss bomb, it does not have to be. It's got an citrusy apple opening, which isn't your on your face fruity spray, but pretty nice. Base after about 3-4 hrs is mix of mild yet persistent ambery, musks and woods, more cedar from what i get. the bottle / cap are nice too. It's contrasting to have both Captain and Quartz from this house...

Enigme - i had a lot of reservations after seeing 1 review on basenotes but this house was one of the first ones I actually started using a perfume from (Monsieur), so i took the chance and i am not disappointed. Spicy opening after which I lost track as I got busy; now about 5 hrs later, the drydown is sublime - reminds me of the great By Man but softer due to woods, primarily SW, fighting with amber and vanilla / patchouli. No regrets buying this one...I had this on my mind for a few months now as a store I normally buy from had this marked for 200+ as it was the only bottle and refused to sell to me - more a showpiece item than anything else. So I started being on the lookout and I am glad I bought it...

Now I need some help from you fine noses please.

Also thoughts on fragrances released from Sergio Soldano / Les Copains / Oleg Cassini / Missoni / Daniel Hechter?

Finally - I am going to start looking for Cartier fragrances - to date, I have had samples, tested them over the years but never have bought a single one. So let me know your favorites please.
    Was Quartz reformulated? Well it is a dumb question, let me rephrase - has the current version been reformulated well?

As for Missoni - I have a couple. Olympios is Fahrenheit clone. Missoni Donna is a nice feminine fragrance (like Patou 1000) but nothing unique.

I have the second vintage Oleg Cassini PH and it is good but nothing unique. A dry herbal fougere. Not as dry and bitter as VCA PH .

Cartier - A decent house but nothing spectacular. Though Santos vintage has die hard fans here on vintage forum. Pasha is one where I think current is better than vintage. Santos Eau de Sport is nice but again a fougere soapy and aromatic.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Paradigm by Avon

I feel content when I take a spray of a NK Incense or a By Man or (the greatest leather ever) Bel Ami or my most used vtg Eau Sauvage vtg. So a purge will happen sometime over the next year or 2 where a lot of fragrances released after 1990 will get given away to family / friends etc.
    Hardcore vintage talk. Taking it up a level.

How about a bonfire for anything made after 2010?

Molyneux Captain EDT 4.2 oz

I don't think this was reformulated.

Apparently it didn't have the effect vtg Bel Ami had on the world although 1-2 here disagree

Jokes aside, it's a solid leather that I would have in my top 5.
    Agree it's a great leather scent and one of my favorites, just behind vintage Derby.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

If you find this exact box + bottle at a reasonable price it's worth owning. The two sided bottles are great too.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Congrats on this acquisition!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Congrats on this acquisition!
    Many thanks, hednic!

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Was Quartz reformulated? Well it is a dumb question, let me rephrase - has the current version been reformulated well?

As for Missoni - I have a couple. Olympios is Fahrenheit clone. Missoni Donna is a nice feminine fragrance (like Patou 1000) but nothing unique.

I have the second vintage Oleg Cassini PH and it is good but nothing unique. A dry herbal fougere. Not as dry and bitter as VCA PH .

Cartier - A decent house but nothing spectacular. Though Santos vintage has die hard fans here on vintage forum. Pasha is one where I think current is better than vintage. Santos Eau de Sport is nice but again a fougere soapy and aromatic.
    I don't know if they reformulated or just changed packaging, but i recall seeing 2 packages, albeit different sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Hardcore vintage talk. Taking it up a level.

How about a bonfire for anything made after 2010?
    LOL bonfire does sound tempting for a few bottles. Crime to be even given away

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Awesome pick - oakmoss on a different level with Captain!

All Is Beautiful

Awesome buy. Congratulations!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Someone's got their tax returns already.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Page 3 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast