Code of Conduct
Page 252 of 291 FirstFirst ... 152 202 242 250 251 252 253 254 262 ... LastLast
Results 7,531 to 7,560 of 8708

Default Re: Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    I last applied this in October 2019. A scent that singles for me the burning of Deciduous leaves.
    Autumn comes earlier this year with the burn in the Northwest together with the first tinges of Reds, Yellows appearing in the forests.

Leonard Pour Homme
    I've read great things about this...sounds like it's right up my alley!
    Currently wearing: Pasha by Cartier

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Gucci Envy
    I still haven't smelled this one! Can't wait to try it out sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    Well, what do you think aero58? Is the hype real?
    Aero likes lavender, and this is a good one, so I'm even money he'll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    You smell classy today Alpha!

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    A nice one indeed. I shouldn't have sold my bottle.

Well, I can now say that I've tried this "unicorn". I recently acquired a mini bottle the other day, and gave it a test run last night a few hours before hitting the rack, and then a full wear today. First, before I say anything, I acknowledge that it's really not fair for me to judge this based on a mini - so there's that. Now that that's out of the way, let me don my kevlar....OK, here goes. Bottom Line Up Front: "Meh". For the life of me, I do not understand why this is a "unicorn" fragrance. It's "awight", good even, but it doesn't come close to offering me any kind of "wow" factor. And there's a "sharp" note that persists that I don't quite care for. It's not that I "dislike" this scent, it's just that I don't "like" it very much. It's a "safe" scent - won't offend anyone, a perfectly good "office scent", nothing to really knock - except the PRICE it commands for a full bottle! I'm actually glad that it doesn't "wow" me - saves me $$$.
    Currently wearing: Jules by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Aero likes lavender, and this is a good one, so I'm even money he'll like it.
    I do like lavender, for sure. However......

Well, what do you think aero58? Is the hype real?
    I'm perplexed at why this is hyped so much. But that's only based on a mini bottle, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by aero58 View Post
    I do like lavender, for sure. However......
    The way you described it is how I think of it. I haven't tried it recently since I've been getting into lavender, though. It is light and polite. It sounds like it won't be taking any scheduled wearings from Mouchoir de Monsieur.

The people who love Nobile seem to really love it. I've had people surprised that I described like you did. They talk about a tobacco note, I think? Maybe I made that up. No, "tobacco" is all over the reviews page.

Well, I can now say that I've tried this "unicorn". I recently acquired a mini bottle the other day, and gave it a test run last night a few hours before hitting the rack, and then a full wear today. First, before I say anything, I acknowledge that it's really not fair for me to judge this based on a mini - so there's that. Now that that's out of the way, let me don my kevlar....OK, here goes. Bottom Line Up Front: "Meh". For the life of me, I do not understand why this is a "unicorn" fragrance. It's "awight", good even, but it doesn't come close to offering me any kind of "wow" factor. And there's a "sharp" note that persists that I don't quite care for. It's not that I "dislike" this scent, it's just that I don't "like" it very much. It's a "safe" scent - won't offend anyone, a perfectly good "office scent", nothing to really knock - except the PRICE it commands for a full bottle! I'm actually glad that it doesn't "wow" me - saves me $$$.
    A fair assessment of your experience. Maybe if you put some in an atomizer it would be different experience? What wow'd me about this fragrance is how it changes on my skin...I can't stop smelling myself. Let me ask, is your mini made in Germany or Italy? At least from my experience, the made in Germany bottle I have smells so much better and has pronounced note transitions and is full bodied and deep with excellent longevity whereas the made in Italy is just all blended together (and still smells good IMO) if that makes any sense but then again it could be how the fragrance has aged and how the previous owner(s) kept them? Admittedly, I'm a fougere fanatic and love green, mossy, "masculine" fragrances.

The way you described it is how I think of it. I haven't tried it recently since I've been getting into lavender, though. It is light and polite. It sounds like it won't be taking any scheduled wearings from Mouchoir de Monsieur.

The people who love Nobile seem to really love it. I've had people surprised that I described like you did. They talk about a tobacco note, I think? Maybe I made that up. No, "tobacco" is all over the reviews page.
    I get tobacco with Nobile.

I share similar opinion about Nobile. I am in the minority but I prefer older formulation of Duc de Vervins over Nobile. I feel Nobile is more basenotes heavy with decent amount of smokiness while Duc de Vervins has better progression and balance. Crown Perfumery Park Royal was a recent acquisition for me and is my favorite in this genre. Park Royal may not be as refined or understated as the other two fragrances but it has lots of character.
    Currently wearing: Jasmine by Floris

Rive Gauche Pour Homme tonight.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Freed from BN Institution

Chanel Antaeus
    ANTAEUS CAP VINTAGE.jpg
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Guerlain Sous Le Vent
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Creed Angélique Encens (from a sample)
    Does this one remind you of Shalimar?

Gucci Nobile (the rag tag motley crew):

Attachment 135297
    Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post

Basenotes Plus

Creed Angélique Encens (from a sample)
    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Does this one remind you of Shalimar?
    Good question. It does, to an extent. AE and vintage Shalimar both open strong, but with different notes: Shalimar is leathery and animalic, while AE is more herbal and resinous. While they calm down to a similar place, AE's vanilla and amber strikes me as less dimensional than Shalimar's "guerlinade." Ultimately, Shalimar is not my favorite Guerlain and Angélique Encens is not my favorite Creed, for similar reasons, though both are enjoyable wears. If I had to pick one, it'd be Shalimar—but it really would have to be the old stuff.
    Currently wearing: Silver Cologne by Amouage

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    Very nice! A wonderful fragrance and a great choice.
    Thank you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Good question. It does, to an extent. AE and vintage Shalimar both open strong, but with different notes: Shalimar is leathery and animalic, while AE is more herbal and resinous. While they calm down to a similar place, AE's vanilla and amber strikes me as less dimensional than Shalimar's "guerlinade." Ultimately, Shalimar is not my favorite Guerlain and Angélique Encens is not my favorite Creed, for similar reasons, though both are enjoyable wears. If I had to pick one, it'd be Shalimar—but it really would have to be the old stuff.
    Not my favorite Creed but it's up there. Shalimar and AE are different enough to own both. Similar to the others this one also has a horrible price tag.

You're right, "...it won't be taking ay scheduled wearings from Mouchoir de Monsieur..." Which, BTW, I just might have to pick that for tomorrow (or Monday).....And regarding a tobacco note in the Gucci Nobile - I did not detect a trace of that - nary a nuance.

A fair assessment of your experience. Maybe if you put some in an atomizer it would be different experience? What wow'd me about this fragrance is how it changes on my skin...I can't stop smelling myself. Let me ask, is your mini made in Germany or Italy?....
    I did transfer it to an atomizer, then tossed the bottle - not sure if it was made in Germany or Italy. Interesting to read the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post
    I share similar opinion about Nobile. I am in the minority but I prefer older formulation of Duc de Vervins over Nobile. I feel Nobile is more basenotes heavy with decent amount of smokiness while Duc de Vervins has better progression and balance. Crown Perfumery Park Royal was a recent acquisition for me and is my favorite in this genre. Park Royal may not be as refined or understated as the other two fragrances but it has lots of character.
    I think I have a sample of the current version of Duc de Vervins floating around somewhere. I remember it at the Houbigant counter at "Bergie's" when I was there last year. Haven't tried the Crown Perfumery Park Royal - will add it to the growing list.

Basenotes Plus

I think I have a sample of the current version of Duc de Vervins floating around somewhere. I remember it at the Houbigant counter at "Bergie's" when I was there last year. Haven't tried the Crown Perfumery Park Royal - will add it to the growing list.
    I have yet to try DdV, but while I join Tradition in preferring Park Royal to Nobile, I wouldn't say they're all that similar, particularly as the Crown has a strong clove note that I don't get from the Gucci. Well worth owning both, save that both are discontinued and Park Royal's ascending price may soon approach Nobile's.
    Currently wearing: Silver Cologne by Amouage

Aramis
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

And regarding a tobacco note in the Gucci Nobile - I did not detect a trace of that - nary a nuance.
    Maybe it’s my lack of knowledge but I smell smoke in this fragrance - sort of like a dirty ashtray but in a good way and I just automatically assume tobacco but maybe it’s the oak moss & vetiver that gives me that tobacco Smokey ash try vibe? Well, sorry Nobile didn’t work out for you but at least you got to try it. That Guerlain and Park Royal sound good too.

King Kouros!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I have yet to try DdV, but while I join Tradition in preferring Park Royal to Nobile, I wouldn't say they're all that similar, particularly as the Crown has a strong clove note that I don't get from the Gucci. Well worth owning both, save that both are discontinued and Park Royal's ascending price may soon approach Nobile's.
    Duc Duc Goose de Vervins is so good.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Duc Duc Goose de Vervins is so good.
    Scent-wise, is it worth getting the current version of DdV? The vintage practically doesn't exist on this peasant continent..
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Aramis Super EdC (c. '77)
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Scent-wise, is it worth getting the current version of DdV? The vintage practically doesn't exist on this peasant continent..
    I think so. If you like Drakkar Noir, remove the "Noir" and smash in some lemon verbena and geranium. It's "Drakkar Vert" I find it superior.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Page 252 of 291 FirstFirst ... 152 202 242 250 251 252 253 254 262 ... LastLast