Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Dependent

Default Re: Thoughts on Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Sounds like it's time for you to try Versailles Pour Homme! Only similar in terms of being a vintage Oriental, but if you want complexity in your vintage Orientals, it's a must try.
    Thanks for that suggestion! I will definitely seek that out

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    A bit lost here - what's rare / mysterious about NCal's bottles?
    It was a joke. The box in the back right of the pic looks like its floating (I'm assuming it being held up by the cellophane wrap it is partially pulled out of that you can't really see)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I'm assuming it being held up by the cellophane wrap it is partially pulled out of that you can't really see
    Ah, I can see it now.

Freed from BN Institution

It was a joke. The box in the back right of the pic looks like its floating (I'm assuming it being held up by the cellophane wrap it is partially pulled out of that you can't really see)
    Bingo! I was going to say something but decided to wait until someone finally noticed.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Glad my first experience was with a vintage decant. Love at first sniff. Comforting and warm. An all-time favorite.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    How does it compare to your other bottle? There's a bit of a difference between the New York/Pairs and Paris only EDT bottles so it's possible that the London bottle might be slightly different as well.
    Good question. I've never thought to compare. I bought them both on a cruise ship during a family Christmas vacation. There's hardly anything left of the L'Egoiste bottle, but I'll try to compare sometime.
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Dependent

This thread should never be allowed to fall to page 2

My significant other isn't loving me in Egoiste at the moment, in particular Egoiste Concentree. I think the "mandarin" in concentree isn't working for her.

I find the opening of concentree to be grand. Fantastic. Here are the two notes lists from the Basenotes directory:

Egoiste edt
    Sicilian tangerine, Brazilian rosewood
    Coriander, Damask rose
    Sandalwood, Vanilla, Ambrette seed

Egoiste cologne concentree
    Mandarin
    Carnation, Damask rose, Cinnamon, Rosewood
    Sandalwood, Leather, Vanilla

Interesting how wood is listed as a top note in Egoiste, but not in Egoiste Concentree - that's how we're smelling it - Egoiste is woodier.

One note I find interesting is carnation, and I love seeing that listed for concentree - it's that kind of thing that spices up the opening, and whatever's being called leather.

I'd like to know of everyone's preference of Egoiste EDT to Egoiste Cologne Concentree and Bois Noir. How about the New York/Paris vs Paris only bottles? I really enjoy the New York/Paris bottles as it has stronger spicer opening vs the Paris only Egioste. At some point I'll showcase my collection of Egoiste.

Among the three my favorite is the Egoiste EDT. While they all have slight differences they all come to the same glorious sandalwood dry down at the end. The vintage (EDT above Chanel) is still quite affordable, definitely backup bottle worthy for the long term for daily wearing purposes.

I wouldn't mind having more Egoiste specifically the New York/Paris bottles, that juice is great stuff:

Attachment 116290

Attachment 116291
    Ah so this is good to know. My vintage 100ml spray bottle is quite different than my vintage 75ml splash bottle. The spray bottle is sweeter, more lush, with a very prominent rose. The splash is a tad more woody with less of a rose accord. I'd say it's even a bit brisk though nothing like the current formulation. My preference changes day to day.

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    Ah so this is good to know. My vintage 100ml spray bottle is quite different than my vintage 75ml splash bottle. The spray bottle is sweeter, more lush, with a very prominent rose. The splash is a tad more woody with less of a rose accord. I'd say it's even a bit brisk though nothing like the current formulation. My preference changes day to day.
    My 75ml Paris only bottle that I'm currently working has a much sweeter oriental feel, while my 50ml spray New York/Paris bottle has a spicer woody feel.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I think I'm in the minority, as I (slightly) prefer the Concentree, due to the cinnamon note being a bit toned down (compared to the EdT), and the delicious sandalwood being slightly amped up. Thats really the only noticeable concrete differences to my nose, but for whatever reason, ECC feels ever so slightly more opulent to me.
    Concentree has its fans. Veteran Basenoters Remik and Cytherian prefer the concentree. After reading their reviews, my expectations were maybe too high, but I love it.

I'm trying to focus on rose. My 75-ml splash is just about spent, but there's a partial 50-ml spray waiting in the wings.

E60D4F62-C471-440D-A9E0-5E5FD51B0C7B.jpg

My 75ml Paris only bottle that I'm currently working has a much sweeter oriental feel, while my 50ml spray New York/Paris bottle has a spicer woody feel.
    Ha! Exact opposite for me. My 100ml spray is dominated by a beautiful, dry rose accord in the opening and mids.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Monsieur Montana recently posted that his rating for vintage Chanel Egoiste is a thumbs down, the fragrance creator Jacques Polges called his favorite. I think Polges also said he wasn't crazy about oak moss, and I think the two are connected - I think he was running away from the kind of thing Monsieur Montana likes: mossy men's fragrances from the 70s and 80s.

I'm sometimes surprised when I see Avecesar posting Egoiste as his scent of the day, because it does seem different, to me, from the style he and Monsieur Montana and some others normally prefer.

What are you thoughts on Chanel Egoiste?
    Hugely underrated.. that is all lol

I own a 120ml vintage splash, as shown on picture, which I carefully decanted in a spray bottle (actually an empty CK One bottle with screw off cap )
    I own(ed) the rectanglar second edition as well as the last square bottle version as of 2014 (sample) and all smell ok, but none is like the vintage imo.
    I just recently wrote the following in another thread:

The current version is not bad but especially the drydown of the vintage is deeper, thicker and most important more natural smelling with its cinnamon-vanilla-sandalwood-rose drydown. Especially the sandalwood-rose combo is way better with the vintage imo. Vintage also lasts way longer, at least on my skin. I own vintage 90's splash, the rectangular spray bottle (2012) and have a sample of latest square bottle as of 2014).

One of my true vintage gems!
    Last edited by Slayerized; 2nd April 2020 at 10:16 AM.
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    I own a 120ml vintage splash, as shown on picture, which I carefully decanted in a spray bottle (actually an empty CK One bottle with screw off cap )
    I own(ed) the rectanglar second edition as well as the last square bottle version as of 2014 (sample) and all smell ok, but none is like the vintage imo.
    I just recently wrote the following in another thread:

The current version is not bad, the drydown of the vintage is deeper, thicker and most important more natural smelling with its cinnamon-vanilla-sandalwood-rose drydown. Especially the sandalwood-rose combo is way better with the vintage imo. Vintage also lasts way longer, at least on my skin. I own vintage 90's splash, the rectangular spray bottle (2012) and have a sample of latest square bottle as of 2014).

One of my true vintage gems!
    Was this a brand new bottle when you got it? Agree a very nice bottle I have 2 75ml splash bottles both are original releases from the very first years.

Was this a brand new bottle when you got it? Agree a very nice bottle I have 2 75ml splash bottles both are original releases from the very first years.
    Mine was bought second hand with 100/120ml left but it was from someone I know, so I had no doubts about the juice quality as it being a splash and rightfully so because it smells like new (but vintage of course).
    High quality stuff!
    Your stash is amazing, especially the Antaeus bottles!
    My Top '11':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Quote Originally Posted by Svd888 View Post
    I guess 2009....
    My Top '11':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Mine was bought second hand with 100/120ml left but it was from someone I know, so I had no doubts about the juice quality as it being a splash and rightfully so because it smells like new (but vintage of course).
    High quality stuff!
    Your stash is amazing, especially the Antaeus bottles!
    Thanks. Egoiste and Antaeus are worth accumulating many backups.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Svd888 View Post
    Did you purchase this?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

No i did't. Should l?

Here’s my current stash:

91B99C2C-9FA7-4D42-B88C-8339C8C519A1.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Here’s my current stash
    Damn. You’re almost out.

Here’s my current stash:
    Holy smokes - that's impressive!
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Granted I only tried the current iteration, but Platinum did nothing for me. Is the old stuff sufficiently different that I should sample it?

Still looking for Bois Noir and Concentrée. Otherwise, my measly three bottles of vintage Égoïste should last me into old age. ("You mean next week?" says smart-alecky wife.)

Quote Originally Posted by aero58 View Post
    Holy smokes - that's impressive!
    Stocking up seemed like the way to go at the time. I have finished a 75-ml of Egoiste and a 75-ml of Egoiste Concentree in the last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Granted I only tried the current iteration, but Platinum did nothing for me. Is the old stuff sufficiently different that I should sample it?

Still looking for Bois Noir and Concentrée. Otherwise, my measly three bottles of vintage Égoïste should last me into old age. ("You mean next week?" says smart-alecky wife.)
    I doubt you would like any version of Platinum. I would also call concentree non-essential. Regular Egoiste is hard to beat. Bois Noir is only slightly different, slightly toned down.

Basenotes Plus

I doubt you would like any version of Platinum. I would also call concentree non-essential. Regular Egoiste is hard to beat. Bois Noir is only slightly different, slightly toned down.
    All pretty much as I suspected, but helpful to hear it from you!

That said, I just found a reasonable mini of the Concentrée, so I'll judge that one for myself soon enough.
    Last edited by PStoller; 28th September 2020 at 03:56 AM.

Stocking up seemed like the way to go at the time. I have finished a 75-ml of Egoiste and a 75-ml of Egoiste Concentree in the last couple years....

Roger that.....BTW, Platinum is one that I don't care for at all; it was a swing-and-a-miss for me....Regarding the regular Egoiste: I have a bottle of the current version that I got about a year or two ago from the Chanel counter at Saks. It's only a "like" for me, not a "totally diggin' it" fragrance. It's nice, don't get me wrong, and I like working it into the rotation (in cool weather only, that is), and I like the rose nuance that's in it. But what I was hoping for was the sandalwood base that everyone talks about. Unfortunately for me, I don't detect that at all. I wonder if I'd be able to smell that in an older version? Also, the performance, in terms of longevity, isn't that great on me in the cooler weather, which is the only way I can wear this. I confess that I once wore this to work on a not too warm a day, but it warmed up more than was forecasted - that proved to be a mistake - oy!.....And I have a decant of Bois Noir. It's only a "like" for me as well. I think I recall reading someone saying that it was "more refined" than Egoiste (or something like that) - yeh, that's a good way of putting it. Perhaps I need to focus on them both a bit more this fall/winter and see if I start appreciating them more.
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Current Egoiste doesn't always seem to last very long. I like it while it lasts.

Egoiste, Bois des Iles, and Geo F. Trumper Sandalwood have the same kind of non-incense-y sandalwood. For regular, incense-y sandalwood, No. 5 usually has some, and L'Heure Bleue even more - the way I smell things.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Concentree has its fans. Veteran Basenoters Remik and Cytherian prefer the concentree. After reading their reviews, my expectations were maybe too high, but I love it.

I'm trying to focus on rose. My 75-ml splash is just about spent, but there's a partial 50-ml spray waiting in the wings.

E60D4F62-C471-440D-A9E0-5E5FD51B0C7B.jpg
    Never gotten a chance to smell this version nor Bois Noir, and only know what I do of the latter based on pouring over tons of writing from people who have way back when I reviewed Egoiste, but I also like both of my kidneys where they are hahahaha.

As for current versus the older bottle I own? Yeah, the current is a bit sweeter and doesn't have the same quality of sandalwood vibe in the base, but I honestly think both versions of it I've smelled are fleeting. Egoiste was never a screamer like it's metallic flanker, that's for sure.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Roadster by Cartier

All Is Beautiful

How about LEGO-iste?

Besides being about LEGO. Was it the British label, same juice?

I like your stash Bavard.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.