Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Thumbs up Everybody Hates Hugo Boss

Except for this guy! I've always been a fan. You could say that they peaked in the 90's with two of my favorite scents from that time period, Boss Bottled and Hugo. Both of those are staples of the decade and still hold up well today.

Boss the Scent smells good but longevity is atrocious. The Scent flankers are all good though, such as Private Accord and Parfum Edition. It's a bit of relief to them, I would think, that the Scent has been successful. I felt like they have long relied on their 90's successes to keep chugging along.

They went a bit too crazy with their other flankers for Boss Bottled and they became discounter mainstays. But all in all, despite them being super mainstream and not all that daring, I like what they generally put out.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Default Re: Everybody Hates Hugo Boss

They did well with the original Baldessarini...otherwise I have nothing nice to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    They did well with the original Baldessarini...otherwise I have nothing nice to say.
    I know next to nothing about the Baldessarini range but have always wanted to try them out.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I do love their classic formal Italian made suits though.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Boss Nr. 1 was the very first Western scent I had the chance to try, at the end of the 80s (and Communism as well). It shocked me that there are such good smelling things in the better part of the world... This scent introduced me into this hobby. As far as I can remember, it was a really good scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I know next to nothing about the Baldessarini range but have always wanted to try them out.
    This one is very good.

I like Bottled Night.
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

The first was excellent, though I only have vintage bottles, and I think Soul and Bottled Intense EdP are at least okay (also haven't tried some, such as Elements), but overall they seem to want to target the "mainstream" mentality.

I have quite a few Hugo Boss scents, they're pleasant and easy to like. The brand has a place in the market as a safe bet the people buying mainstream fragrances can fall back on. Their Hugo Boss Collection faux-niche line is also pretty decent, and their Cashmere Patchouli is probably one of the best patch fragrances I've tried so far.

Only one that ever interested me was Hugo Boss Boss Number One, excellent masculine and smells fantastic. I have since moved on from it but it was the only one I enjoyed wearing, something about its old school vibe and masculine touch is unbeatable!
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

I like some of their stuff like Boss In Motion Edition Green, Baldessarini and XY.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Hugo Boss... nearly with every second order from the big online stores I get Hugo Boss samples.
    I can't see them anymore...

Why? Are they so good? No, but they still use those crappy dip glass samples without a proper sprayer and no one wants them.
    Samples from other brands are more rare because they were grabbed by the employees at the stores and sold at Ebay.

For me the most Hugo Boss fragrances are mediocre scents and very synthetic smelling.
    The Scent line is "ok", I like The Scent Absolute the best from all of them (more than Private Accord for sure!).

There are single ones from Boss which are a little bit "different" like Hugo Boss Bottled Oud - but it has a very bad performance.
    If anyone of you guys like that one I would recommend to give Parfums de Marly Habdan a try.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    I like Bottled Night.
    As do I.
    Current rotation:
    Polo Green(Warner version)
    Calvin(original)
    Dakar(prefer it to current drakkar noir)
    LPDO Vanille Persuasive
    Kenzo Jungle Home
    Mercedes Benz Private
    Terre d'Hermes EDT

There are a lot of uninspired scents in their lineup, but they do have a few really nice ones.

And Hugo Elements was my first bottle down this road. Over 320 came after, but this was ground zero for my collection. Boss Bottled is excellent IMO, and one of the better values out there.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Not hating all of their fragrances and while underwhelmed by most, do still have certain favorites by this house-unfortunately most of these either discontinued (Elements, its flanker Elements Aqua), while others may still be in production but not fully certain as to how reformulations may have affected them, like Boss No. 1

Basenotes Institution The Colognnoisseur's Avatar

I have the original Boss Number One, Bose Bottled and Boss Bottled Oud. So far I haven’t been tempted to explore further.
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA

I like Boss Bottled original and it will always be one of my favorites, but I can never justify buying a bottle due to price for performance.

Intense EdP is great, but maybe too powerful? It's no sillage beast, but it leaves a powerful skin scent.

not recently; I've heard a ton of good things about The Scent Private Accord (including from myself), The Scent Absolute, Hugo Reversed

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Hugo Boss goes for the youth market anymore, since at least the 90's with Hugo. If you like youthful and dynamic scents, I don't see a problem. It's mostly the VERY vocal minority of classic fougère, chypre, oakmoss, and formal/mature masculine lovers that hate on the brand, and another case of the majority who likes the brand not being bothered enough to defend its honor online.

I personally can take or leave Hugo Boss outside a few key creations, because when I want youthful I'm going to reach for Calvin Klein (who serves the same purpose), but I got no beef with lovers of house. Live and let live.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Avalon by Murdock

5FCDA365-F801-49FA-9AB8-F16CCDADE5E8.jpeg

Baldessarini EdC . . . this one is legit and a favourite of mine since its introduction. And given its price point it’s both full bottle worthy as much a rarified moment when I’d use the words (gasp!!) blind buy for many of you.

Other than that I’ll admit I never found my way into anything else from Hugo Boss.

C058C73D-461B-4A82-98CB-C7B16BB3BC24.jpg

Oh, oh . . . and their model could give Fashion Santa a run for his money, or at least fill in when his Prada-bedecked reindeer are hungover from champagne and cannot get him to his upscale shopping mall on schedule.

With their beards at full girth both Mr. Baldessarini and Fashion Santa are some beyond dapper gents.

8F56D0A4-7A40-4DB8-A6D1-7BEB54693703.jpg

Boss Reversed is my new jam. Smells great, citrusy and woodsy, but if it doesnt have longevity worth a poop
    Currently Rotating:

*Creed Bois Du Portugal
    *Armani Code Absolu
    *Creed Aventus Cologne
    *Fragrance.One Office For Men
    *Parfums De Marly Percival
    *Mancera Black Gold
    *Imaginary Authors Telegrama
    *Imaginary Authors Cape Heartache
    *Neandertal Black
    *Chanel Bleu de Chanel

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron

Used to wear Baldessarini to office in the late ‘90s. Haven’t found anything from the house worth getting a full bottle of since. I guess I’ve kinda written the brand off.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 16th January 2020 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Hugo Boss goes for the youth market anymore, since at least the 90's with Hugo. If you like youthful and dynamic scents, I don't see a problem. It's mostly the VERY vocal minority of classic fougère, chypre, oakmoss, and formal/mature masculine lovers that hate on the brand, and another case of the majority who likes the brand not being bothered enough to defend its honor online.

I personally can take or leave Hugo Boss outside a few key creations, because when I want youthful I'm going to reach for Calvin Klein (who serves the same purpose), but I got no beef with lovers of house. Live and let live.
    Good comparison to CK but I prefer the HB. CK has never really connected with me all that much.

Blog Entries

I thought Dark Blue had some fans, the one in the cocktail shaker bottle.

And the original Boss Bottled is a classic. Boss Bottled Oud is good too.

The real problem is that their catalogue is too big
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Aoud Flowers by Montale

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I wore both Hugo Boss Hugo and Boss Bottled back in the day when they were new scents - steered by the SAs who talked me out of my classic "old man" frags.

I respect these lines now but am not a huge fan. However, I generally like almost all Hugo and Boss fragrances. They all smell pleasing to me. Nothing magnificent, but all good. And I do like the Baldessarini line.

Chandler Burr rips on Hugo Boss hilariously in his book "The Perfect Scent".

He talks about the annual market performance of various Hermès fragrances before JCE came on board - typically placing around 300 or so down the list.

"The Hugo Boss marketers wouldn't have gotten out of bed for numbers like these, but on the other hand the Hugo Boss perfume creatives produce nerve gas."

But then later comes a 2-page screed against Boss fragrances that is utterly merciless! He cannot stand them!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Habanita by Molinard

I find the After Shave of the Boss Number One series and Strictly Private by Baldessarini pretty good, but this impopularity might come from Hugo Boss' alleged Nazi past...?
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 19th January 2020 at 03:21 AM.

Boss Botled is a favorite of mine,and really like the intense one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    I find Strictly Private by Baldessarini pretty good
    +1!
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - Vermeil: Pour Homme

Banned

I've only tried No 1 (own it), Bottled (owned it. It's ok but got tired of it quickly) and some sample (was ok, decent citrus for summer but very middle of the road, uneventful mainstream). I look at Boss like I look at Calvin Klein and other such brands and generally can't be bothered to try their stuff. People must like them though as otherwise they wouldn't have continued to make all these perfumes for decades.

The earlier Boss scents were powerhouses.

My favourites Boss Elements, Boss 6, Boss No.1, Dark Blue.
    Hugo and Elements Aqua not as much - I was accused of wearing Napthalene flakes once when wearing Hugo.

In motion and Baldessarini were good but not a powerhouse. Orange I didn't like much.

I haven't bought any of their later scents - pleasant, but not in the same league as their old powerhouses.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 10th June 2021 at 08:19 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast