Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Today I Didn't Buy

I’ve had my eye on Jo Malone Basil & Neroli, but I’m holding off on a purchase until I have more stability in my finances.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Just for the sake of clarity, are you talking about buying bottles of an entire house’s product line for your collection, or actually buying the company?
    This seems increasingly more likely. A house that only makes masculine perfumes, perhaps?

I should formalize my collection criteria. "Has to be awesome," is what I have so far, and it feels vague.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I should formalize my collection criteria. "Has to be awesome," is what I have so far, and it feels vague.
    I’ve been going with “feels right in the moment,” which is fleetingly precise.
    Currently wearing: Onyx by Lenthéric

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Just for the sake of clarity, are you talking about buying bottles of an entire house’s product line for your collection, or actually buying the company?
    Bottles of the entire house. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Bottles of the entire house. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    That's what I thought you meant, but apparently a few others misapprehended your meaning.
    Currently wearing: Onyx by Lenthéric

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Whoa! the smell must be divine if such a thing existed!
    Are you looking for a bottle for yourself?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Are you looking for a bottle for yourself?
    Not currently but I keep hearing how good the earlier batches of GIT are.

Not currently but I keep hearing how good the earlier batches of GIT are.
    Indeed they are. It's worth investing in a bottle. The GIT bottles without labels are the ones to look for.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Today I passed on Amouage - Rose Incense, as I just can’t find a single person on here talking about it. I feel that I’d probably be all about it, but considering I’ve run across zero BN accounts of it, I’m a little... apprehensive?

Guerlain Violette Qui Embaume

Aventus
    Last edited by Xcaliber6685; 19th September 2020 at 12:29 AM.

Definitely check it out sometime it’s excellent stuff, I have acquired three 100ml bottles of it. Amouage is supposed to get strict on discounters pricing of their products which is a bummer but more the reason to secure ones you enjoy.
    Thanks, I have sampled it and did enjoy it. So, will definitely be purchasing a full bottle at some point. And it's becoming sooner rather than later.

I know it's not quite the same, but what do you think of Beach Hut?
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal

Smell Good, Feel Good

I had Armani Code Absolu and A*!en Ultimate in the cart but reading further threads and reviews made me change my mind. Perhaps an in-person sniff will help.
    "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News
    "If you don't stop and take a look around once in awhile, you might miss it." ~ Ferris Bueller
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour...you’re gonna see some serious s***. ~ Dr. Emmett Brown, “Back To The Future”

Wanted Thread
    For Swap Thread
    For Sale Thread

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Jacques Bogart Signature

I wanted to get this because it's A) cheap B) has a nice, retro looking bottle and C) bears similarities to Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, one of my favorites of all time.

But I got to thinking...it also is said to be drier than Paco, and also smell similar to Quorum, which I'm NOT a fan of. So if I already have Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, why should I waste money on something that smells somewhat similar to it but cut with something I don't like?

Maybe it's a nice fragrance, but this hobby of mine is becoming a little bit of a problem so it's best that I pump the breaks for a while. I have a pretty solid collection as it is. When I come across something that really wows me, then I'll go for it.
    Last edited by Hugh V.; 19th September 2020 at 05:45 AM.

I am three for three now, acquiring fragrances I didn't buy on an earlier day in this thread: Bel Ami, Santos, and Eau d'Hermes.

I came close to posting about how I hadn't bought L'Heure Bleue, which I've now purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    I’ve had my eye on Jo Malone Basil & Neroli, but I’m holding off on a purchase until I have more stability in my finances.
    Admirable restraint.
    Currently wearing: New-York by Nicolaï

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    Today I passed on Amouage - Rose Incense, as I just can’t find a single person on here talking about it. I feel that I’d probably be all about it, but considering I’ve run across zero BN accounts of it, I’m a little... apprehensive?
    There's mention of it here: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/47...=1#post4999923
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Guerlain Iris Ganache

Basenotes Plus

41f161a7860d0f725b55976f25db2fe3.jpg

Too many conflicting reviews, will explore a sample in the coming weeks....
    ​The Cologne Cabinet “Top 7” for October -

* Polo Green
    * Aramis Havana
    * Safari for Men
    * Azzaro Pour Homme
    * Michael Kors for Men
    * Remy Latour Cigar
    * John Varvatos Vintage

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Talking Re: Today I Didn't Buy

Kenneth Cole Reaction

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I am three for three now, acquiring fragrances I didn't buy on an earlier day in this thread: Bel Ami, Santos, and Eau d'Hermes.
    That must have been tough.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    41f161a7860d0f725b55976f25db2fe3.jpg

Too many conflicting reviews, will explore a sample in the coming weeks....
    Good idea to play it safe.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

I didn't buy Rive Gauche Pour Homme. I'm thinking I might as well buy it, because that money will probably end up being spent on like four blind buys that I won't like too much. But nah, I need to stop blind buying too. I trust the opinions of the people who praise it, especially in how they describe it. But even though I've already spent discontinued RG money on a bunch of crap, I don't feel good over paying for something that was once around $60.

ck1 Shock for Him
    I've been debating this, as it's the only fragrance that seems to be worth buying at Marshall's. A slightly younger version of JV Vintage. That's always going to intrigue me. And that once hideous looking bottle design is now oh so appealing to me.

Oscar de la Renta Gentleman
    I don't even like this fragrance, but holy shit, that giant, white domino bottle design? Too nice. It would look great on the shelf but I kind of feel sick having bottles that house scents I don't like whatsoever.

Tai Winds After Shave by Avon
    After smelling the top notes and reading Zealot Crusader's review that it's better than Brut, which I kind of like, I was gonna buy this for $18 but again, why not spend that on something I really like? I like Brut for nostalgic reasons, but not enough to wear it. For sure, I'd like to have it, or something very similar, to have in my collection that I keep behind a faux book shelf door. But it's not even the cologne. And...and you can get these old Avon fragrances for $5 at other places.
    Last edited by Hugh V.; 23rd September 2020 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    Tai Winds After Shave by Avon
    After smelling the top notes and reading Zealot Crusader's review that it's better than Brut, which I kind of like, I was gonna buy this for $18 but again, why not spend that on something I really like? I like Brut for nostalgic reasons, but not enough to wear it. For sure, I'd like to have it, or something very similar, to have in my collection that I keep behind a faux book shelf door. But it's not even the cologne. And...and you can get these old Avon fragrances for $5 at other places.
    Think Brut on heavy-duty performance enhancing drugs.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Think Brut on heavy-duty performance enhancing drugs.
    Then it's for the best.

Best by Lomani is another one I didn't buy today. I had no idea this was another obscure fragrance from the 80s, housed in the most 80s looking drug store bottle ever. At $9 I had to have this. It's supposed to be in the powerhouse vein of Lapidus and Calvin. The former is intriguing but unwearable to me. Hmmm, $15 (including shipping and tax) for a paperweight timecapsule.

Nah, I'll pass. I'd like to try it out, but even at that low low price, it doesn't seem worth it.

Two bottles of Acqua Di Parma and two Diptyques. Apparently the seller figured out they had put a crazy low price on them, they left me a message that one had broken and they could no longer sell the lot as incomplete.....

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Two bottles of Acqua Di Parma and two Diptyques. Apparently the seller figured out they had put a crazy low price on them, they left me a message that one had broken and they could no longer sell the lot as incomplete.....
    If you’ve bought it at Ebay, I would inform them.

An antique bottle of an unlabeled Guerlain scent.

I held off a tin can of Rive Gauche (so far) as I found it redundant enough to what I already own and wasn't blown away by it, hype aside. Almost blind-bought Floris 1962 but am glad I waited for a sample to arrive. I'll give it a few more wears but it's, surprisingly, not my cup of tea.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    An antique bottle of an unlabeled Guerlain scent.

For the purposes of this discussion that is probably a victory. Some inquiring minds are left curious as to what might have been in that bottle. I mean, for you it’s:

- Guerlain (check)
    - antique/likely vintage (check)

By no means am I suggesting you be a parrot in a mine shaft . . . but aren’t you left wondering? Even a little?

Quote Originally Posted by ThVH View Post
    If you’ve bought it at Ebay, I would inform them.

This wasn't ebay. But since you mentioned it, what's the current process on the bay if a seller bails? I had one cancel and re-list, presumably because it ended lower than they wanted. The only thing I could do was leave neg feedback, I looked around the help page and could find no options to report anything to ebay, just a ton of things saying contact the seller.... Last time that happened several years ago there was an easy way to report it, but seemed like they have it well hidden now.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast