Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Guerlain Vetiver - What's wrong with the new formulation?

Just put some on for the evening, it’s really good stuff and has even got me questioning why I shelled out for the Roja

Quote Originally Posted by emtee View Post
    Just put some on for the evening, it’s really good stuff and has even got me questioning why I shelled out for the Roja
    Exactly! I'm sure many love the ROJA version(s), but to my nose it wasn't so much better as to justify the price.

With me, pretty much every vetiver I try gets compared to GUERLAIN, and few measure up.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Part of the answer can be found HERE (it's a long read).

Basically there are (supposedly) 4 major formulations of it:

- The original EdC, issued in 1959, square bottle, and then round bottle
    - The EdT, issued in the 90's, listerine bottle, with the gold cap
    - A reformulation of the EdT, issued in 2000's, with the frosted glass/ribbed bottle
    - Supposedly a reformulation (but many say there's no difference at all - Idk) and listerine bottle again, with a silver cap, issued in the 2010's. I am inclined to trust the reform-skeptic people, in absence of any evidence.
    - Current listerine bottle with green wooden cap, issued in 2016 - rebottled without reformulation.

Some might claim that there are differences between the 2000 vs 2010 vs 2016 bottle, but there is no consensus on that, and the minor differences one might smell (if any) are probably due to oxydation/evaporation more than any reformulation. The current formulation is great, don;t feed the sharks on ebay!

Hope it helps.
    So, does anyone know when the ribbed/frosted bottle was introduced and discontinued, and if that represented a reformulation?

I have a 2019 bottle and it's fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquafortis View Post
    So, does anyone know when the ribbed/frosted bottle was introduced and discontinued, and if that represented a reformulation?
    I bought the ribbed frosted bottle in autumn 2001, when it had recently been (re)launched. That version had quite a prominent tobacco note. Dunno when that bottle was discontinued.
    I also have the silver cap Listerine bottle version, which has less of a tobacco note than the ribbed/frosted, feels fresher, and has a discernible and pleasant nutmeg note in addition to the very green vetiver.
    I've tried the wood cap Listerine bottle, and find the opening more citric than the silver cap. They both end up at the same mid and drydown.

All versions are good.
    Summer is here : greens, vetiver, aromatics. Selecting from : Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT; Guerlain Vetiver, Etro Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Knize Sec; Caron Yatagan; . Evening : Etro Ambra, Etro Shaal Nur; Knize Ten, Penhaligon's Elixir.

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I think my 2018 batch smells nice and very close to the formulation before it. I recently received a 2019 batch 100ml I have not wore it but assume it is just like the 2018. Might be a bad bottle it does happen.
    Same batch I own, and same thoughts I have.

I've owned the frosted bottle version, the version just prior to the latest, and now the latest, wood-cap version. I don't know if it's just a case of my taste changing, but I'm now in love the with newest wooden cap version of Guerlain Vetiver, and honestly think it's the best version I've smelled.

The frosted bottle I had may have been off, but I easily went anosmic to the smell and consequently didn't enjoy it. I thought the version prior to the latest one was a bit too harsh and synthetic. But this current version is just excellent to me. It has the fresh, green opening and the drydown really develops into something that is almost fougere-like, even though I know it's obviously not really a fougere. This is one of the rare cases, along with current Fahrenheit for me, where a reformulation matches or exceeds the older versions.

One of the interesting things about GUERLAIN VETIVER is that it has been around a long time, and has undergone several bottle design changes and reformulations.

I see that over my 10+ years here, every version has fans.

I tend to think all the variations are very good, and it's probably fraghead persnickety to trash any version.

I've only tried the frosted, ribbed bottle version and think it's great. If I tried the most current version, it would likely be different enough that I'd notice it, but not necessarily "bad."
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

I own the current EDT (2018 batch listerine bottle / green wooden cap) and love it, as well as a sample of the vintage EDC (early 80's cylindric plastic bottle with round 'window').

The current EDT is vetiver and tobacco centric.
    The vintage EDC is a totally different fragrance: it's a classic spicy/aromatic/oakmoss frag, where vetiver is very noticeable in the base. But in the top and heart, it's closer to L'Homme de Gres or Armani Pour Homme than current Guerlain Vetiver EDT.

That said, for what I've read, my feeling is that there has been a major reform in the 90's (when it shift from EDC to EDT), but afterwards it's very subtle, if anything. Still based on what I've read, it seems that the early 2000's frosted bottle was slightly different compared to the 90's one, and the current EDT has been brought back close to what the 90's one was. Also, it seems that the vast majority of the lucky sniffers who have tried both the frosted bottle (2000) and current juice (2010+) prefers the current one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco74 View Post
    I remember Guerlain Vetiver from my youth.
    I remember it to be fresh, pleasant and elegant, not obtrusive at all.
    Yesterday I was at the mall and I decided to test Guerlain Vetiver in the latest tall bottle, not the frosted one I remembered.
    Well buddies I have to tell you that this juice is awful, cloyng, bitter and metallic. Sort of a medicinal syrup with the strenght of a spray
    insecticide. It's bitter as bile, it scrapes the throat
    Have I tried a stale bottle? Because I cannot believe someone could like this. I had to wash my hand again and again to remove it but I can still smell it...
    Can I have your opinions please?

Have a nice day,

Marco
    I only have ever tried a recent bottle, mine is from 2017, but I guess ignorance is bliss because it is my favourite Vetiver fragrance. Medicinal - yeah I can see that. Metallic - a little bit sure. Insecticide - yep. I don't get anything cloying, nor syrupy at all, but the other points I can see. The insecticide one in particular I think a lot of people get from vetiver, mosquito repellent sprays have something in them that smells a bit like vetiver. But for me this fragrance is all about the masterful blend of citrus, vetiver and tobacco. Its one of my favourite year round workplace scents
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan
    Currently wearing: Vibrant Leather by Zara

Great feedback, thanks all. I've had the modern wood cap version (listerine bottle) for a couple years, and just picked up a vintage frosted bottle version of the EDT. Also have a mid-70's natural spray of the EDC. Could be the frosted bottle could be off given the age, but it has a distinctly sharper, more sour and almost solvent-like opening. The 70's EDC is really superb, as is the modern EDT, with the EDC being a bit softer around the edges and a shade quieter overall.

Been wearing vetiver for 8 years now. The new green wooden cap seems to have almost none of the dark tobacco which I love. It seems almost strictly citrus and vetiver. I still think it’s really good, but it doesn’t last as long as my 2013 bottle. I also think the listerine style bottles are minimalist and look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Unvisible View Post
    Been wearing vetiver for 8 years now. The new green wooden cap seems to have almost none of the dark tobacco which I love. It seems almost strictly citrus and vetiver. I still think it’s really good, but it doesn’t last as long as my 2013 bottle. I also think the listerine style bottles are minimalist and look cool.
    My 2018 listerine bottle has both strong vetiver and impression of tobacco (probably a mix of nutmeg and cloves). I would even say that it could be classified as a tobacco frag, as much as a vetiver frag for how strong the tobacco is.

The only version I liked was the frosted bottle. Loved the sharpness.

That said, for what I've read, my feeling is that there has been a major reform in the 90's (when it shift from EDC to EDT), but afterwards it's very subtle, if anything. Still based on what I've read, it seems that the early 2000's frosted bottle was slightly different compared to the 90's one, and the current EDT has been brought back close to what the 90's one was. Also, it seems that the vast majority of the lucky sniffers who have tried both the frosted bottle (2000) and current juice (2010+) prefers the current one.

I've got a spray bottle of pre-2000 EDT and a splash bottle of pre-2000 EDC.
    The EDC smells the same as the EDT, but has weaker strength..

The curious part was that whereas the stronger EDT was only good for four or five hours on me, the weaker projecting EDC was lasting over 12 hours on me.

I got the next bottle that came out in the early 2000s. That smelled a bit greener than my ealier EDT, but lasted much longer than that earlier EDT.
    Regards,
    Renato

Not my favorite vetiver, although I've only smelled the current. I rarely wear it.
    Spray less, love more.

Frosted ribbed bottle was 2000-2010 which was the follow up of the 90's Habit Rouge shaped bottle which they used again in 2010-2016 before they changed into the universal ones they have now for many other Guerlains as well (Homme line, Habit Rouge, Heritage, L'Instant).
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - Vermeil: Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Frosted ribbed bottle was 2000-2010 which was the follow up of the 90's Habit Rouge shaped bottle which they used again in 2010-2016 before they changed into the universal ones they have now for many other Guerlains as well (Homme line, Habit Rouge, Heritage, L'Instant).
    Thanks! The batch code on the ribbed bottle I recently picked up is coming up as 2017 production in Cosmetic Check, but figured that's incorrect. What you've indicated corroborates with Raiders of the Lost Scent breakdown which places my batch code from 2007.

Batch codes tend to recycle every ten years, so I'd guess your bottle dates from 2007. I hope that you're enjoying it!
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Thanks! The batch code on the ribbed bottle I recently picked up is coming up as 2017 production in Cosmetic Check, but figured that's incorrect. What you've indicated corroborates with Raiders of the Lost Scent breakdown which places my batch code from 2007.
    You are welcome!
    Yes it is a 2007 bottle.......in 2017 it was already the current version:

My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - Vermeil: Pour Homme

Dependent
    Blog Entries

My 2018 listerine bottle has both strong vetiver and impression of tobacco (probably a mix of nutmeg and cloves). I would even say that it could be classified as a tobacco frag, as much as a vetiver frag for how strong the tobacco is.
    With you on this. Delicious tobacco here!
    Preferred the older version ( silver cap) which infect is more spicy, tobacco over citrus and freshness.
    I dont wear this in spring summer, however I hear the newer formulation is more a out the citrus and freshness, so perhaps that version is better suited to spring summer?

Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I've got a spray bottle of pre-2000 EDT and a splash bottle of pre-2000 EDC.
    The EDC smells the same as the EDT, but has weaker strength..

The curious part was that whereas the stronger EDT was only good for four or five hours on me, the weaker projecting EDC was lasting over 12 hours on me.

I got the next bottle that came out in the early 2000s. That smelled a bit greener than my ealier EDT, but lasted much longer than that earlier EDT.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Interesting, thanks Renato!

I have a sample of early 80's EDC (cylindric plastic bottle with a round 'window) like that:
    guerlain vetiver.jpg

It smells like a complex green spicy/aromatic to my nose. Like L'Homme de Gres for example. Only in the drydown there will be similarities with the current one.
    I understand from you that the 90's EDT is stronger but shorter lived, but similar in smell to the original EDC. I thus assume that my assumptions (based on reviews/posts) that the current EDT smells similar to the 90's is completely wrong, since current EDT smells very different from the original EDC.

But that's the only vintage version I have tried, so thanks for your feedback!