Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Guerlain Vetiver - What's wrong with the new formulation?

I remember Guerlain Vetiver from my youth.
    I remember it to be fresh, pleasant and elegant, not obtrusive at all.
    Yesterday I was at the mall and I decided to test Guerlain Vetiver in the latest tall bottle, not the frosted one I remembered.
    Well buddies I have to tell you that this juice is awful, cloyng, bitter and metallic. Sort of a medicinal syrup with the strenght of a spray
    insecticide. It's bitter as bile, it scrapes the throat
    Have I tried a stale bottle? Because I cannot believe someone could like this. I had to wash my hand again and again to remove it but I can still smell it...
    Can I have your opinions please?

Have a nice day,

Marco

Default Re: Guerlain Vetiver - What's wrong with the new formulation?

I tried it several weeks ago, it seemed elegant, fresh, soft and very powdery to me. Nothing metallic or cloying.
    I haven't tried any other possible reformulations though.

I think my 2018 batch smells nice and very close to the formulation before it. I recently received a 2019 batch 100ml I have not wore it but assume it is just like the 2018. Might be a bad bottle it does happen.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Dependent

I cherish my year 2000 bottle

The frosted bottles / larger bottles were the best . I think Guerlain made a huge mistake putting most of their men's fragrances in those shitty looking bottles.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Marco74 View Post
    Can I have your opinions please?

Have a nice day,

Marco
    Personally I thought it was fine, perhaps not exactly like my bottle of many years ago, but worthy.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I had a miniature bottle of this version:

untitled-1_3_13.jpg

It was incredible. When it ran out I bought 2 X 100ml bottles of the current formula as it was on an offer and it's terrible in comparison. Thin and much more synthetic smelling, I can't even wear it. It's just not the same fragrance to me. I've sold them and am waiting for a bottle of vintage to pop up.

I agree with Marco74. I loved the version in the frosted ribbed bottle and wore it for years. Once it ran out and prices were out of control, I tried the tall bottle. It is plasticky and synthetic. It was enough to turn me off of the whole thing. I’d rather not wear it at all. Sad to say goodbye but that’s life.
    Still, I realize many people enjoy the current version and that’s OK too.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

I will agree that the frosted bottle was beter and smells more natural though more heavy on everything, but i m fine with the new one too as well .I own both.

Basenotes Plus

I do have to say that I really like the current version. Bright, elegant and fresh. Don't smell anything particularly synthetic about it.
    I also have two mini's of vintage versions. One very old one, like pictured above, and one in the frosted bottle. Those do indeed smell somewhat denser/richer but I don't feel the urge to go hunting for a full bottle.
    I actually think the bright and fresh profile the current version has, suits my needs better (I only use this as a summer fragrance) than the vintage ones.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

I liked the frosted bottle version the best of all throughout the years, but I like the current version too. I think the current one is a little lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco74 View Post
    Well buddies I have to tell you that this juice is awful, cloyng, bitter and metallic. Sort of a medicinal syrup with the strenght of a spray
    insecticide. It's bitter as bile, it scrapes the throat
    Or a bad bottle, or bad memories. A bit of change for sure between now and 30 yrs ago, but not enough to go from a love to a hate, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinrambo09 View Post
    The frosted bottles / larger bottles were the best . I think Guerlain made a huge mistake putting most of their men's fragrances in those shitty looking bottles.
    Agree; bought 2x 125ml of the ribbed frosted ones over 10 years ago and already on my second bottle. Stuff is marvelous and the bottle looks classy!
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - Vermeil: Pour Homme

I found the new formulation to be so good I bought a 200ml bottle. Though the old frosted ribbed bottle was horrid in a bug spray kind of way imo.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Imperial By Boadicea the Victorious
    2. Eau de Guerlain Cologne
    3. Terre d Hermes Pure Parfum
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Milestone By Armaf

Blog Entries

I agree with Jack Hunter, I thought the original actually smelled more synthetic. I think the current stuff is a great textbook vetiver fragrance, for those new to the frag game, looking for a good interpretation of the note. It has solid performance too, and the prices are much better that the gouging on vintage bottles. Though I have no tried really early formulations, I tried from the frosted, ribbed bottle from the early 2000's.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I agree with Jack Hunter, I thought the original actually smelled more synthetic. I think the current stuff is a great textbook vetiver fragrance, for those new to the frag game, looking for a good interpretation of the note. It has solid performance too, and the prices are much better that the gouging on vintage bottles. Though I have no tried really early formulations, I tried from the frosted, ribbed bottle from the early 2000's.
    I haven’t tried most of the iterations, but when I was researching which to buy, the frosted bottle version was called out by a number of reviewers as an aberration. Love it or hate it, it’s not “the original.” I have an older vintage, and it smells anything but synthetic.
    Currently wearing: J'ai Osé by J'ai Osé

I’ve compared most versions and I think the 2016 bottle I have is the best of them all.

Vetiver Extreme is so much better.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

I’m a big fan of the ribbed/frosted bottle, the new one seems to be missing some elements which made the scent fuller and more masculine.

I've owned decants from the very old days (60's & 90's) as well as circa 2015 and 2018; I now own bottles from 2018 & 2019... I admit that my knowledge of Vetiver has a Robert Granai frosted bottle shaped hole in it.... But I also have to say that I really enjoy my newer bottles, so much so that I'm leaning into it as a daily signature (it may just be the time? It seems to proffer calm and equanimity... Anyway, it fits.) I would say the new stuff is lighter, but that this feels, one way or another like a design decision rather than a shortcoming resulting from conscious cheapening or cut/paste synthetics (God knows there are plenty of loud synthetics out there...) probably more the general tendency for fragrances not to smell as if they are competing with/complementing a world of cigarette smoking, powerhouse-spritzing, not-so-often bathing wearers, AKA the late twentieth century. I'd love to have a bit more longevity of the initial projection because it is so lovely, but I also know hw quickly I become nose blind to it.
    Anyway, as to changes:
    - I detect more orange and nutmeg up front for sure. I like this very much and admire how nutmeg doesn't smell 'old' here.
    - The tobacco doesn't really hit me. It never did on any bottling however (maybe it's stronger -- as I think I have heard -- in the Granai bottle), seeming more like an illusion created by the overlap of the nutmeg, musk and the so-called 'hay' accord, which is very, very dry. This formulation is only a touch smoky; my impression based on reading only is that the frosted 2000-2010 version was a bit smokier.
    - The new stuff does have one note it took me awhile to understand...sometimes I liked it (a driftwood like quality) and sometimes I wondered if it was synthetic or 'bugspray'-like. I recognize this now as what some have called an 'iodine'-like facet of the vetiver. Reading this has helped me contextualize this element of the scent and integrate it into my understanding of vetiver.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Dependent

Last time I tried the current version, the drydown had a HUGE nutmeg, sweet, christmas-y accord that smelled very synthetic and cheap, which I'm sure was not in the original.

Bought a new 100ml bottle a couple of weeks ago and think it smells great.

I realized that I already answered on this thread. - please delete -

Quote Originally Posted by common scents View Post
    I’m a big fan of the ribbed/frosted bottle, the new one seems to be missing some elements which made the scent fuller and more masculine.
    Fuller?
    I have the current version (2018), and despite my skin usually drinks fragrance, on me it's a beast in the first couple of hours.

More masculine?
    Not sure what could be more masculine than a citrus/vetiver/tobacco fragrance...

I think the current version is grand.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I think the current version is grand.
    As do I.

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    Last time I tried the current version, the drydown had a HUGE nutmeg, sweet, christmas-y accord that smelled very synthetic and cheap, which I'm sure was not in the original.
    That. I can't stand it. The frosted ribbed bottle was best.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I prefer Extreme as well. At the same time, I didn't smell these Guerlains in the early days so I'm coming into it having smelled the Extreme first and not having history with the original. I just feel it's fresher and more modern.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa
    Currently wearing: Dia Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    That. I can't stand it. The frosted ribbed bottle was best.
    According to reviews, the current one seems to be very close to the EDT of the 90's and the frosted bottle seems to be considered by many to be the worst iteration of Guerlain Vetiver, apparently a more synthetic and citrusy/light take on the original.

I only know the current one, I can tell that it's a masterpiece. (vetiver lover here speaking)

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Better for one can be the worst for others.
    It all depends how people like their vetiver "paired". If with tobacco, the original is the way to go .But if tarragon and soft incense are more of appeal, the Extreme is the right answer.

Personally love both, but had I to buy a backup bottle, it would be the original.