Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

Interesting brand- prices are a little high for both the samples and 30 ml bottles.

My question would be, does what you feed your civets affect the smell of the musk?

Quote Originally Posted by Vetiver11 View Post
    Interesting brand- prices are a little high for both the samples and 30 ml bottles.
    You can certainly buy cheaper, but I'm not sure you can buy better value for money. Taking into account the quality of the ingredients I doubt anyone is making any significant profits.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Vetiver11 View Post
    Prices are very good if you consider the concentration of the juice and the level of performance. Possibly the best values in my collection.
    He can't be making much coin as he has so little volume that at his level every ingredient must cost him top dollar. No volume discounts in his life.
    Look at another single man show, Slumberhouse, located not far from Meleg, $180 USD typical for 30 ml or roughly $100 CDN more a bottle. Slumberhouse was trying to put his prices up to $220 USD which would be double Melegs CDN $ price. If Meleg ups his marketing strategy and gets serious about sales he could build a fan base and up his prices. I doubt that he would do that though so his fans will continue to quietly enjoy his scents at a very good price point.
    Have you tried any of his products?
    Currently wearing: Cuirlilas by Sultan Pasha

I may be blind buying a bottle, no samples, I know what notes I like.
    $30 CAD (shipping inside Canada) for a 2ml sample is high for any house, even established ones.
    No. 59 sounds good and I'm intrigued by Golden Gai even if it's apparently harmful to wear on skin.

I have tried three from the house. Civet Cat Chypre is wonderful. It is very powdery, but comes across rather masculine on my skin. The sandalwood shines in the dry down. Birch Tar and Russian Leather was interesting, but a little too raw for my taste in the opening. That said, the dry down is really cozy and something special. Tobacco and Frankincense is also a bit raw in the opening with another great dry down. You can really smell excellent quality ingredients in these compositions.
    Currently wearing: Issara by Parfums Dusita

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    I have tried three from the house. Civet Cat Chypre is wonderful. It is very powdery, but comes across rather masculine on my skin. The sandalwood shines in the dry down.
    How would you describe the performance of
    Civet Cat Chypre? Did you spray it on skin or on clothing?

It is moderate. Stays a bit close to the skin like an extrait does, but pretty good longevity. The other two were better performers on my skin, but Civet Cat Chypre was still probably my favorite. I am totally impressed overall. All three fragrances would be worthy of a place in my collection if I wasn't trying to keep my bottle count down. I will definitely try to sample the rest of what he has available.
    Last edited by Jcelello; 1st July 2020 at 02:57 AM.
    Currently wearing: Issara by Parfums Dusita

Nice, thanks for the feedback!

I had a message on Etsy this morning letting me know that as a previous customer I have a 20% discount for the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by tony_i View Post
    I had a message on Etsy this morning letting me know that as a previous customer I have a 20% discount for the next few weeks.
    Nice. Let us know when they have one for everyone please.

As soon as he does a sale for everyong Im hopping on that civet chypre.

Announcing a sale on social media thatís only for his existing customers is ďnot coolĒ. Thatís what emails are for.

If youíre going to announce a sale on a public forum like Instagram, donít exclude people who havenít bought from you and arenít in the ďMeleng ClubĒ. Real rookie PR move.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome View Post
    Announcing a sale on social media that’s only for his existing customers is “not cool”. That’s what emails are for.

If you’re going to announce a sale on a public forum like Instagram, don’t exclude people who haven’t bought from you and aren’t in the “Meleng Club”. Real rookie PR move.
    Sounds like Matt gave a customer a 20% discount on his/her next purchase through Etsy's private message system. This happens all the time on Etsy. What is the problem here?

Quote Originally Posted by HabibiGotIt View Post
    Sounds like Matt gave a customer a 20% discount on his/her next purchase through Etsy's private message system. This happens all the time on Etsy. What is the problem here?
    It was a public post, not a private message.
    Publicly posting ďhereís how much I appreciate my customers - so they can have a 20% discount by you canít because you havenít bought from me beforeĒ appears to be a nice thing to do but itís actually poorly executed. Donít publicly exclude people - just send they appreciation discount privately.

A better thing would be a ďfragrance enthusiast appreciation discount - for current and future customersĒ.

I hope you can see my point here.

I did privately message him and ask if I could have this discount as well and he said no, not until Iím an existing customer.

I think the execution is really rookie in the PR department.

Basenotes Plus

I'm going to echo previous comments here and agree that Matt is, indeed, a very nice guy. He made a sample of Birch Tar & Russian Leather much smokier upon request, and I love to see that type of customization. I'll buy from him again.
    Currently wearing: Oceania by Roja Dove

^ Donít take my post the wrong way. He seams like a nice down to earth guy and I enjoy following his Instagram. Iím sure Iíll buy from him one day soon.

I was going to place an order with him as soon as he extended the customer appreciation discount to me as well - but he did not. And I didnít place the order.

Iím just calling it how I see it. Heís still a cool dude in my book.

Dependent

Delete please

Iím not old, Iím vintage.

I haven't bought from Meleg yet, and so would be excluded. Frankly, though, I prefer this "thank you" discount scheme to the all-too-common "new customer" discount that excludes previous buyers. Those are always public, and they're a slap in the face to a brand's base. Shouldn't a business always treat its existing customers at least as well as its prospective ones? Making this appreciation discount public lets people know what they'd have to look forward to if they became Meleg customers. Loyalty goes both ways.
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I haven't bought from Meleg yet, and so would be excluded. Frankly, though, I prefer this "thank you" discount scheme to the all-too-common "new customer" discount that excludes previous buyers. Those are always public, and they're a slap in the face to a brand's base. Shouldn't a business always treat its existing customers at least as well as its prospective ones? Making this appreciation discount public lets people know what they'd have to look forward to if they became Meleg customers. Loyalty goes both ways.

Meleg is a character, with what I would say is an Artistic temperament. A quick browse through the DIY section will reward you with his ability to ruffle feathers. His scents reflect studies of Perfume architecture.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome View Post
    It was a public post, not a private message.
    Publicly posting “here’s how much I appreciate my customers - so they can have a 20% discount by you can’t because you haven’t bought from me before” appears to be a nice thing to do but it’s actually poorly executed. Don’t publicly exclude people - just send they appreciation discount privately.

A better thing would be a “fragrance enthusiast appreciation discount - for current and future customers”.

I hope you can see my point here.

I did privately message him and ask if I could have this discount as well and he said no, not until I’m an existing customer.

I think the execution is really rookie in the PR department.

My bad, didn't see this. Rookie move on my part!

I was interested in Meleg long before I learned of his ummm idiosyncratic nature on this forum. Not sure if learning about it made me more or less interested but I will eventually purchase something from him. If anything, I admire self-taught perfumers (hoping to become one myself someday) and enjoy trying out their work to set goals for myself.

I bought a Meleg sampler several months ago and have spent time with them. For the most part they are not bad perfumes. Meleg's perfumes are a bit under-polished, rough round the edges, in need of further refinement. It was a privilege to be able to smell natural civet, natural deer musk, Meleg was actually my first introduction to natural musks outside of vintage.

The performance leaves a lot to be desired with many of them, several opening with a bang then disappearing VERY quickly and my mother and friend agreed too. ALD this is not. A couple of them got a genuine "yuck" out of us all, the Vienna Chocolate Patchouli I had to run to the sink to scrub. It had a strong synthetic chocolate smell combined with nose-stinging menthol that was just ghastly and nauseating. The opening of Oakmoss Forest Florals was also pretty ghastly used-diapers sort of smell, but then dried down very quickly to something much more tame.

I swapped out Golden Gai for Cello Wood Cafe, as I found the notes more appealing and this happens to be one of my favourites, very pretty sweet oudy almost melon-like (which I guess is the blue plum). Peach Madeleine was also a favourite, old fashioned peach aldehydes. I was most looking forward to Civet Cat Chypre but my skin ate it within a couple of hours, unbelievable really. Honey and deer musk wasn't what I'd hoped it would be, it was missing something. His authentic Aoud was very sweet and pretty and had good longevity but it lacked the nuance of other oud compositions I have since tried.

Nearly all the perfumes I found didnt develop much after the initial explosions, a bit monotonous and some of them leaving something to be desired. Even still the samples are pretty generous. If your curiosity is piqued they are worth trying. I could see myself buying Cello Wood Cafe but I might prefer to save my money for more ALD.
    Last edited by MuskyCat; 9th October 2020 at 04:01 PM.

I would HIGHLY recommend the Civet Cat Chypre for the ladies. Itís absolutely stunning, best perfume my spouse has.

Basenotes Plus

I bought the sample set and thought he did a really nice job. I'm still going through them one by one. Golden Gai has an interesting story, not sure about using the raspberry liqueur (Chambord) but I like the scent! He is not as extreme as Arrej de Dore and their ultra aged oils and crazy musks, but his civet is pretty awesome. Also, I'm not one for lots of nostalgia, I like modern perfume with a nod to the past... not a complete turn to the past. But his ideas are unique so I'm interested so far.
    Andrew Hugg, Lieutenant Colonel, USAF (retired)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    A quick browse through the DIY section will reward you with his ability to ruffle feathers.
    The feathers he ruffled reflect the jealousy of other animals that never managed to reach Matt's fast reached level of sucess, despite the many years they tried.
    Some even tried to make believe that Matt's products were creating allergies, without ever asking themselves if their own products did (and I confirm, they did).
    Currently wearing: Resina by Oliver & Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    The feathers he ruffled reflect the jealousy of other animals that never managed to reach Matt's fast reached level of sucess, despite the many years they tried.
    Some even tried to make believe that Matt's products were creating allergies, without ever asking themselves if their own products did (and I confirm, they did).
    is that really all you took from it?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4