Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 116
  1. #1
    All Is Beautiful
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    6,849

    Default Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    I really like this house out of Canada.

    The owner is super nice and he does artisanal blending non-IFRA compliant, with ethical animalics.

    I got a bottle of Civet Cat Chypre.

    It has several real animalics including civet, which is obtained with a guy from the West who goes and sees how the civet cats are treated and how the civet glandular is obtained without hurting the cats. 80% of the extrait is natural.

    The perfume is like an uber smooth Mousse Illuminee. Much smoother and a more complex and elegant dry down. I love Rogue, and it's the easiest for me to compare to. It is also like some of the vintages that I own, but it is different enough to merit owning.

    civet cat chypre meleg 2-13-20.jpg
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

  2. #2
    Dependent
    Birdboy48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oregon Desert
    Posts
    2,355

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Humm, how exactly does one get civet cat glandular juice without hurting them civets ? Enquiring minds want to know.

    Plus they got some stoner dropout from John Vavartos making their bottles I see. Can't help but like that !

    All sounds quite interesting to me !
    Currently wearing: Potion by Dsquared2

  3. #3
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    2,058

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Humm, how exactly does one get civet cat glandular juice without hurting them civets ? Enquiring minds want to know.

    Plus they got some stoner dropout from John Vavartos making their bottles I see. Can't help but like that !

    All sounds quite interesting to me !
    I did a quick search and found this ---> 5 Icky Animal Odors That Are Prized by Perfumers

    Here's a little paragraph from the website:

    "In the meantime the quest for a thoroughly humane way of harvesting civet continues. I have found a company in Thailand that appears to be selling sustainable, humanely produced civet. They keep three hundred civets, which they tell me they feed twice a day, on bananas, rice, and meat. Each civet has its own wooden cage, which is cleaned every three days. In the middle of the cage, there is a wooden stick about two inches in diameter and a yard long onto which the civet releases its paste. Every morning the paste is collected from the stick and the stick is replaced. "
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

  4. #4
    Dependent Hothamwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,070

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    A smoother, more complex mouse illuminee? I'm interested.

  5. #5
    All Is Beautiful
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    6,849

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    I did a quick search and found this ---> 5 Icky Animal Odors That Are Prized by Perfumers

    Here's a little paragraph from the website:

    "In the meantime the quest for a thoroughly humane way of harvesting civet continues. I have found a company in Thailand that appears to be selling sustainable, humanely produced civet. They keep three hundred civets, which they tell me they feed twice a day, on bananas, rice, and meat. Each civet has its own wooden cage, which is cleaned every three days. In the middle of the cage, there is a wooden stick about two inches in diameter and a yard long onto which the civet releases its paste. Every morning the paste is collected from the stick and the stick is replaced. "
    Thank you.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    some of them look pretty interesting, might have to put in an order of samples from him.
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

  7. #7
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    2,058

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Thank you.
    You're welcome, but I wish I hadn't even looked at this thread with a comment like this, "The perfume is like an uber smooth Mousse Illuminee. Much smoother and a more complex and elegant dry down." Mousse Illuminee was one of my best purchases last year. Now I'm tempted to purchase No. 50 Civet Cat Chypre.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

  8. #8
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,121

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Wafts from the Loft did a review of Civet Cat Chypre No 50 and they were very impressed by it. First I ever heard of him. I ordered Civet Cat Chypre plus Birch Tar and Russian Leather No 25 and Natural Oak Moss & Forest Florals No 40. Received the three bottles about ten days later along with three generously sized samples of some of his other goods. Meleg is a fanatic about attention to detail in his packaging and all his labels are his own works. The fragrances are very good and arguably better values than, for example, Slumberhouse. He does post how humane civet is obtained (take it or not, a values judgement) but it seems he is also sensitive to the issue. He just released a version of No 50 that does not include the use of civet paste. Overall his scents are affordable, good quality, entertaining, and unusual. Worth a look if you are into indies at all. Meleg is a bit of a character (in a good way) and is reasonably active on instagram if one is interested. His posts reveal much about himself and his scents. I will probably buy several more bottles from him over the next year. None of his work has made it into the database here and he is so small I guess it never will...

  9. #9
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    329,345

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by avo1811 View Post
    some of them look pretty interesting
    Agree
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Placed an order for 6 samples.....Civet Cat Chypre, No. 59 Tobacco Frankincense & Rose, Mushin Japanese Incense, No. 40 Natural Oakmoss & Forest Florals, No. 7 Peach & Oakmoss "Madeline", and No. 39 Honey & Deer Musk. We will see how they stack up!
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,170

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by avo1811 View Post
    Placed an order for 6 samples.....Civet Cat Chypre, No. 59 Tobacco Frankincense & Rose, Mushin Japanese Incense, No. 40 Natural Oakmoss & Forest Florals, No. 7 Peach & Oakmoss "Madeline", and No. 39 Honey & Deer Musk. We will see how they stack up!
    Please report! Thanks
    Currently wearing: Resina by Oliver & Co.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    I own Mushin and just received it in the mail. First off I’d like to point out how obsessive Mr. Meleg is over detail. He’s one of those eccentric artists who without his skills would probably be considered alittle “out there”. What I mean by this is he has character and so does his perfumes. I love when you buy something and you can feel the artists energy emanate from their offerings.

    Mushin is beautiful. It’s subtle floral yet slightly jammy apricot accord creates an ethereal opening that lasts well into the drydown. I don’t get much woods however this thing lasts forever and sits firmly on a bed of slightly powdery but buttery orris. I get excellent performance and overall this is a feminine leaning perfume and would work well for anyone that doesn’t define their masculinity by how dirty or animalic something smells. Mushin has a great vintage feel to it and is reminiscent of a bygone era.

  13. #13
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    12,107

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    I saw his stuff on Etsy a few months ago and was extremely close to blind buying a full bottle of Natural Oakmoss & Forest Florals No. 40 as individual samples were too pricey when shipping was added in to make sense, but did a search on BN for the perfumer and picked up a major dust up in the DIY section that when coupled with the cheap looking office store manual labeling machine created plastic labels on the bottles shown on Etsy at the time (very different looking than the more professional looking one I saw earlier on this thread) scared me off.

    I would love to hear peoples’ thoughts on this perfume in particular, as maybe I was too hasty in passing?

    Edit: I went back on Etsy, and it appears he now has a “gift presentation” offering that for an add-on fee makes the bottles look more presentable like the one shown earlier in the thread... While the fee is pretty exorbitant for something that should be expected to begin with, I do like that he gives people the option to upgrade now if they dislike the regular amateurish presentation.

    I also saw the No. 59 offering that also looks quite interesting. Now I am even more intrigued as to others’ thoughts when their samples arrive.
    Last edited by drseid; 16th February 2020 at 02:07 PM.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

    5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

    6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

    Currently wearing: Rubikona by Puredistance

  14. #14

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyriddle View Post
    I own Mushin and just received it in the mail. First off I’d like to point out how obsessive Mr. Meleg is over detail. He’s one of those eccentric artists who without his skills would probably be considered alittle “out there”. What I mean by this is he has character and so does his perfumes. I love when you buy something and you can feel the artists energy emanate from their offerings.

    Mushin is beautiful. It’s subtle floral yet slightly jammy apricot accord creates an ethereal opening that lasts well into the drydown. I don’t get much woods however this thing lasts forever and sits firmly on a bed of slightly powdery but buttery orris. I get excellent performance and overall this is a feminine leaning perfume and would work well for anyone that doesn’t define their masculinity by how dirty or animalic something smells. Mushin has a great vintage feel to it and is reminiscent of a bygone era.
    Does it match the japanese theme? You didn't mention any oud.

  15. #15
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    12,107

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by U2u View Post
    None of his work has made it into the database here and he is so small I guess it never will...
    His perfumes are all listed on Parfumo.net, for what it’s worth... I think only No. 40 has a review there so far, though.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

    5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

    6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

    Currently wearing: Rubikona by Puredistance

  16. #16

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinkinggrade View Post
    Does it match the japanese theme? You didn't mention any oud.
    No. I don’t get any Oud or woods for that matter but I’m going to let the fragrance settle for a few weeks and really give it a full wearing post transit. Right now it’s just a beautiful soft, powdery apricot perfume backed by orris root. It’s entirely floral to my nose and there isn’t any incense like qualities which I realize now there probably isn’t supposed to be. I think he used Japanese incense as a reference to the subtleties of the otherwise feminine leaning perfume and not so much sandalwood or kyara.

  17. #17
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,121

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I saw his stuff on Etsy a few months ago and was extremely close to blind buying a full bottle of Natural Oakmoss & Forest Florals No. 40 as individual samples were too pricey when shipping was added in to make sense, but did a search on BN for the perfumer and picked up a major dust up in the DIY section that when coupled with the cheap looking office store manual labeling machine created plastic labels on the bottles shown on Etsy at the time (very different looking than the more professional looking one I saw earlier on this thread) scared me off.

    I would love to hear peoples’ thoughts on this perfume in particular, as maybe I was too hasty in passing?

    Edit: I went back on Etsy, and it appears he now has a “gift presentation” offering that for an add-on fee makes the bottles look more presentable like the one shown earlier in the thread... While the fee is pretty exorbitant for something that should be expected to begin with, I do like that he gives people the option to upgrade now if they dislike the regular amateurish presentation.

    I also saw the No. 59 offering that also looks quite interesting. Now I am even more intrigued as to others’ thoughts when their samples arrive.
    At the risk of being repetitive here is his standard presentation:

    IMG_1279.jpg

    He has two additional upgrades for some of his scents giving the buyers an unusually broad range of choice. No 40 is one of three I blind bought from him and his descriptions of his products seem to be accurate. No 40 is very concentrated so it will last 12 hours but doesn't project a huge amount. The others I have are No 50 and No 25. They are both very good and fully deliver as described and expected. The bottles he uses are solid and have excellent atomizers. The caps are very secure snapping firmly in place. His labels are printed by him and he applies a laminate over them so they should retain their looks over the life of the bottle.

    Meleg has had issues on this board as have some much better knowns such as Ensar. If you want a feel for him and the life issues he deals with his Instagram posts give some insight. He isn't conventional as he is self taught but he pays great attention to detail and trying to be transparent. I will almost certainly be giving him more business. Don't know how bad your shipping charges are but for my area it was $7.00 a few weeks ago. He has been trying to tweak his prices and policies.

  18. #18
    All Is Beautiful
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    6,849

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Meleg is incredibly impressive. I can't say enough nice things about him.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

  19. #19
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    12,107

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Appreciate the information, U2u, as that shows even the standard presentation has taken a major step up from what he displays on Etsy... For example, the presentation I am referring to (and the one he unwisely still shows on his sale page) is as follows:
    059089FD-7F2F-4C1B-81F0-6DB71888477F.jpeg
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

    5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

    6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

    Currently wearing: Rubikona by Puredistance

  20. #20
    Scooby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    I have a full bottle of the Civit Chypre (#50) which I love and samples of the aged Patchouli (#34) and the Deer Musk, the Deer Musk (#39) is very similar to the Civit Chypre so I believe he's re-working it. I think he now uses the same bottles (different caps) as Francesca Bianchi, at least they appear the same to me. I have a lot of time for him, seems like a good guy.

  21. #21
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    59,300

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    The perfume is like an uber smooth Mousse Illuminee. Much smoother and a more complex and elegant dry down. I love Rogue, and it's the easiest for me to compare to. It is also like some of the vintages that I own, but it is different enough to merit owning.

    civet cat chypre meleg 2-13-20.jpg
    That does sound appealing since Mousse Illuminee can be tricky to wear, I did get a few negative compliments/reactions when I did wear it. The bottle looks interesting as well.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  22. #22
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    25,287

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Meleg is incredibly impressive. I can't say enough nice things about him.
    You’re a ‘bad’ influence, my friend. You know some of us can’t resist exploring these ‘new rabbit holes’ you uncovered.

  23. #23
    All Is Beautiful
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    6,849

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    You’re a ‘bad’ influence, my friend. You know some of us can’t resist exploring these ‘new rabbit holes’ you uncovered.
    Irresistible rabbit holes.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

  24. #24
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,121

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Appreciate the information, U2u, as that shows even the standard presentation has taken a major step up from what he displays on Etsy... For example, the presentation I am referring to (and the one he unwisely still shows on his sale page) is as follows:
    059089FD-7F2F-4C1B-81F0-6DB71888477F.jpeg
    That was actually what I expected to receive. I was following his Instagram as he processed my order and he was posting about his new label efforts. My order was a day or two late leaving his hands but it came with the new labels. Aside from Instagram he doesn't seem to spend time marketing. He clearly devotes himself to fussing over his ingredients and quality of juice output. His methods are suited too low volume sales. Be interesting to watch where he takes his efforts next. I put some Natural Oak Moss & Forest Florals No 40 on last night when I last posted. Made for a pleasant night and it is still there three to four inches above the skin. Coming up on 15 hours....

  25. #25

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Let's raise the game on the 'minimal presentation' front.
    No complaints from me.
    m.jpg

  26. #26
    All Is Beautiful
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    6,849

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Today I started with Honey and Deermusk #39
    This is a quiet deer musk with what I get as Rose Otto. Very very beautiful.

    Top Notes Bergamot, Lavender, Clary sage
    Heart Notes Heart Notes Rose otto, Jasminum grandiflorum absolute, Heliotrope, Cinnamon, Ylang-ylang, Clove
    Base Notes Base Notes Vetiver, Tonka bean, Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Benzoin, Iris butter, Vanilla absolute, Civet, Deer musk


    Then I went on to Clovewood Lounge #31
    I would say this is similar to a natural, almost narcotic Egoiste, and maybe better. Noses better trained than mine can perceive more.

    Top Notes Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Rosemary, Coriander seed, Rosewood, Pink pepper
    Heart Notes Heart Notes Petitgrain, Bourbon geranium, Rose otto, Clove, Ylang-ylang, Cinnamon, Clove
    Base Notes Base Notes Indian sandalwood, Birch tar, Castoreum, Tonka bean absolute, Tobacco absolute, Vanilla absolute
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

  27. #27
    All Is Beautiful
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    6,849

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    I would say the three I have full bottles of are as good as Bortnikoff or Russian Adam makes. And more old fashioned in that they are composed along classical powerhouse lines but with really high quality ingredients. I’m blown away .

    You could compare them with Bortnikoff and they are a bargain.

    These are not like vintage that I enjoy so much, because they are higher in naturals. They are quieter, don’t project as much, but they are marvelous.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

  28. #28
    All Is Beautiful
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    6,849

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    You’re a ‘bad’ influence, my friend. You know some of us can’t resist exploring these ‘new rabbit holes’ you uncovered.

    Sorry!!!!


    LOL
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

  29. #29
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    2,058

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hothamwater View Post
    A smoother, more complex mouse illuminee? I'm interested.
    Seeing how much I love Mousse Illuminee I just ordered No. 50 Civet Cat Chypre. His Vienna Chocolate Patchouli Perfume 34 holds a bit of interest for me too. I probably should have ordered a sample, but I thought I'd wait and order several samples at once before too long.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

  30. #30
    Scooby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Meleg Perfumes non-IFRA discussion thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    Seeing how much I love Mousse Illuminee I just ordered No. 50 Civet Cat Chypre. His Vienna Chocolate Patchouli Perfume 34 holds a bit of interest for me too. I probably should have ordered a sample, but I thought I'd wait and order several samples at once before too long.
    Message him and ask for a sample, I got 2 when I ordered No. 50 Civet Cat Chypre.




Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NOT Perfumes Discussion thread
    By junior_surgeon in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 15th October 2020, 12:10 PM
  2. Phoenicia Perfumes: Discussion Thread
    By deadidol in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 31st December 2019, 05:15 PM
  3. IFRA Standards - Discussion thread (Temporary partial version)
    By Chris Bartlett in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 21st July 2019, 04:35 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29th May 2011, 05:45 AM
  5. Replies: 115
    Last Post: 29th May 2011, 05:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000