Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: New Czech & Speake - Perfecto Fino EdP

The opening is basically a very authentic lapsang souchong note. Think the Patchouli scent by Le Labo and the likes. Very smoky indeed - but that quickly morphs into a smooth tobacco note. Not smelled anything like that before. It’s quite dry but it does come out later with some smooth woods. The idea hates it with a passion.
    Currently wearing: Déclaration by Cartier

Basenotes Junkie

I've been wearing PF for the whole day and as I plan to wear something else tomorrow, I thought I'd post some brief thoughts.

There is a nice opening of citrus and grass. It has a very outdoors feel to it. There are some smoky notes just after this reminding me of putting different kinds of wood on a barbecue. Spices and tobacco comes later, but I don't detect leather. I do feel that the grass and smoke are very well done.

After a while the drydown on exposed skin is a little faint but a very pleasing tobacco and sandalwood. However, I still get the spices from under my shirt and these are not so good, a little stale and a little flaccid.

A few observations: it's interesting that the overtly cigar-box themed PF doesn't include cedar, which is a staple of the genre.

I think a lot of people will like this, but on one wearing I wouldn't buy it myself. For half the price you could buy Je Suis Un Homme. For another £30 or so you can buy Derby.

It's also interesting that C&S evidently think that they can have Perfecto Fino and Spanish Cedar in the same collection and sell both. For me, although not completely similar, they operate in the same space. SC has more birch tar than smoke and (for me) has more coherence with fewer ingredients; it's also a bit stronger. PF has more breadth. Perhaps C&S have a loyal enough clientele and they know what they like. But if you're only an occasional shopper at this price point, I'd choose Spanish Cedar.

Finally, the variations in price of the C&S parfums are quite interesting. They range from £95 to £160. Spanish Cedar is £130, Perfecto Fino £150. Are they trying to give us some indication of what it costs to produce these scents?

I'll be testing more but those are my thoughts right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    I've been wearing PF for the whole day and as I plan to wear something else tomorrow, I thought I'd post some brief thoughts.

There is a nice opening of citrus and grass. It has a very outdoors feel to it. There are some smoky notes just after this reminding me of putting different kinds of wood on a barbecue. Spices and tobacco comes later, but I don't detect leather. I do feel that the grass and smoke are very well done.

After a while the drydown on exposed skin is a little faint but a very pleasing tobacco and sandalwood. However, I still get the spices from under my shirt and these are not so good, a little stale and a little flaccid.

A few observations: it's interesting that the overtly cigar-box themed PF doesn't include cedar, which is a staple of the genre.

I think a lot of people will like this, but on one wearing I wouldn't buy it myself. For half the price you could buy Je Suis Un Homme. For another £30 or so you can buy Derby.

It's also interesting that C&S evidently think that they can have Perfecto Fino and Spanish Cedar in the same collection and sell both. For me, although not completely similar, they operate in the same space. SC has more birch tar than smoke and (for me) has more coherence with fewer ingredients; it's also a bit stronger. PF has more breadth. Perhaps C&S have a loyal enough clientele and they know what they like. But if you're only an occasional shopper at this price point, I'd choose Spanish Cedar.

Finally, the variations in price of the C&S parfums are quite interesting. They range from £95 to £160. Spanish Cedar is £130, Perfecto Fino £150. Are they trying to give us some indication of what it costs to produce these scents?

I'll be testing more but those are my thoughts right now.
    I would agree with this analysis in its entirety.

I don’t think I could grab a bottle and agree that the price is a little steep.

Interesting comparison with the Spanish Cedar. I might have to sample that again some day to see how it compares.

All in all this is a brand that I have owned on and off for over two decades. Some really great ones are No. 88 and Oxford & Cambridge (shame about the longevity of the latter). The new No. 88 EdP is also worth a try.
    Currently wearing: Déclaration by Cartier

The C&S website have restocked samples of this fragrance and I got a sample of it in the mail today.

Quick impression: It is as others have described. There is a charred wood effect that is most prominent in the top notes. Soon thereafter, the fragrance smells a little like Creed Viking along with charred woods to me, before eventually drying down to a bitter non descriptive woody fragrance. It’s not a bad scent at all, but its not a superstar fragrance either.

I bought a full bottle of this- at a discount. This is one where it is best smelt at a distance of a couple of feet. Spraying it on your arm gives you the burnt wood/caramel smell which remains fairly linear. Close up you get a slightly acrid sensation which is remarkably realistic but not that pleasant. But stand back and you get this wonderfully masculine spicy boozy burnt wood aroma which gives me pleasure for several hours. Its certainly a more expressive fun fragrance and seen as such it is unique and outstanding.This is a masculine impressionist painting. A Seurat which gets better and better when you stand back. Well done C+S.
    The other fragrance which is almost worth considering is Citrus Paradisi. This gets criticised for smelling of cats pee. I disagree. Its a masculine barbour shop scent which is fun and interesting but is hampered by short duration and high price. An aftershave at one third of the price would be a hole in one. Unfortunately C+S just say they are going to release a smaller and therefore cheaper bottle of the same. Looks like I am sticking with Nicolai Cedrat Cologne and the Intense which are superb.
    Currently wearing:
    Amouage Journey Man
    Frederick Malle French Lover
    Creed Viking (trialling it)

Basenotes Plus

"Perfecto Fino" EdP 100ml Spray (Review)

"CELEBRATING LATIN AMERICA: Perfecto Fino reflects the rich, complex, exciting yet tough world of Central America. Unapologetically masculine; fiery and powerful."

IMO this is unisex all the way. Nothing sharp or animalic in the tradition of "unapologetically masculine" fragrances. In its defense, there is zero sweetness.

The opening is burning campfire with a haze of grass floating in the smoke. After an hour the basenotes begin to appear, particularly a well blended sandalwood and leather.

The tobacco has a minor role here, as the blending is so smooth it does not appear as you may expect in the form of cigar ash. Again, unisex, wouldn't want to offend anybody!

Overall, a neutral rating (3 stars) as for me this fragrance would not be an easy pull or very versatile. It definitely leans winter time only. The colder the better and the last time I checked that type of weather is hard to come by south of the equator.

At $225 for 100ml, this juice is fairly priced as 1-2 sprays is all you need. If you are only spraying in the winter then you could get 10 years out of one bottle.

Pro Tip: Hot, cold, humid, dry, rain, sun, smoking, non-smoking - don't matter to the king of versatile tobacco frags - ARAMIS HAVANA.
    Last edited by The Cologne Cabinet; 8th October 2020 at 05:57 PM.

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

I'm still wishing for a split. Don't want a 100ml but interested enough for 20ml.

This is an absolutely fantastic fragrance , full of dark smokey vibes and green jungle folage, it's a brooding dark dirty thing with a huge tar note , beautiful blending and a complete shock to smell something like this in modern times , full bottle ordered ��

Quote Originally Posted by mattandhiscat View Post
    This is an absolutely fantastic fragrance , full of dark smokey vibes and green jungle folage, it's a brooding dark dirty thing with a huge tar note , beautiful blending and a complete shock to smell something like this in modern times , full bottle ordered ��
    It's too bad more people aren't discovering how good this one is

I'll hype it up in the UK frag groups

So, is Perfecto Fino a thick and linear smoky fragrance, similar to Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'Ascese and Zoologist - T-Rex?

Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

It's green and dirty with a 80's feel ..quite unique

Is there cypriol/nagarmotha in the mix?

It smells like tar to me with green notes

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    Is there cypriol/nagarmotha in the mix?
    I hope not. I do not see it on the notes list. I am really intrigued and hope to sample soon, but I really do not care for prominent cypriol.

Get a sample before you buy ..its quite a striking blend but I really like it

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    I hope not. I do not see it on the notes list. I am really intrigued and hope to sample soon, but I really do not care for prominent cypriol.
    I asked them by email about cypriol.

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    I asked them by email about cypriol.
    There is no cypriol at all in Perfecto Fino.

No it's like a really dirty tar tobacco with some deep greeness

Quote Originally Posted by mattandhiscat View Post
    it's like a really dirty tar tobacco with some deep greeness
    Sounds great.

-----

I like your "name" - mattandhiscat.

I loved it , had a retro feel too