Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: New L'Homme Ideal flanker from Guerlain - L'Homme Ideal Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I didn’t like the original one and so I tried very few (maybe 2?) flankers of it, with little interest. Maybe I should start trying them again since from the descriptions of some members some flankers seem to have nothing to do with the original and sound pretty interesting. I won’t run to any perfume shop, but when there the worst that can happen is one of them be a copy of Sauvage.
    Yes, you should re-evaluate the L’Homme line. Thankfully, nothing in it is related to Dior Sauvage.

LVMH continues to annoy U.S. fragrance aficionados by withholding its most interesting work from this part of the world. Closest you can get around here are the obscenely pricey Louis Vuitton fragrances. No Dior Homme Intense, sparse distribution of most Guerlain fragrances. Lots of availability of LVMH’s most dull, mainstream scents.

While they’re presumably holding out for some lucrative deal from a U.S. retailer, would it be so terrible to open up a few boutique channels? Online direct, perhaps? Otherwise, the ongoing embargo of U.S. markets for the more sophisticated and nuanced work comes across as arrogant and dismissive. It’s a really terrible image for any worldwide luxury brand.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Yes, you should re-evaluate the L’Homme line. Thankfully, nothing in it is related to Dior Sauvage.

LVMH continues to annoy U.S. fragrance aficionados by withholding its most interesting work from this part of the world. Closest you can get around here are the obscenely pricey Louis Vuitton fragrances. No Dior Homme Intense, sparse distribution of most Guerlain fragrances. Lots of availability of LVMH’s most dull, mainstream scents.

While they’re presumably holding out for some lucrative deal from a U.S. retailer, would it be so terrible to open up a few boutique channels? Online direct, perhaps? Otherwise, the ongoing embargo of U.S. markets for the more sophisticated and nuanced work comes across as arrogant and dismissive. It’s a really terrible image for any worldwide luxury brand.
    Exactly! Excellent analysis!

They do this as if they depend only on the European Union for their profits. It would be tantamount to saying that their profits come only from really wealthy people, which we know is unreal. These luxury brands have most of their income coming from the middle class, from the portion of the population that they pretend to despise. They do the same with some markets in the world like the American. They look with arrogance (that no lack to them) and false disdain, when in reality what they want with this is to make the consumer increasingly covet what he cannot acquire so easily. And with haughtiness, they often fail to explore market strategies that could yield much more, letting for these markets just crumbs of what they think their real customers (basically EU, Middle East and parts of Asia) worth. Arrogance and haughtiness often accompany stupidity. It is no wonder that colonialism did not succeed.
    Coming from where it’s coming, it doesn’t impress me, but it’s disturbing to live in the same world as people like that, who still feel like there are nations or people superior to others in such aspects. It’s somehow a new kind of colonialism if you ask me.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Exactly! Excellent analysis!

They do this as if they depend only on the European Union for their profits. It would be tantamount to saying that their profits come only from really wealthy people, which we know is unreal. These luxury brands have most of their income coming from the middle class, from the portion of the population that they pretend to despise. They do the same with some markets in the world like the American. They look with arrogance (that no lack to them) and false disdain, when in reality what they want with this is to make the consumer increasingly covet what he cannot acquire so easily. And with haughtiness, they often fail to explore market strategies that could yield much more, letting for these markets just crumbs of what they think their real customers (basically EU, Middle East and parts of Asia) worth. Arrogance and haughtiness often accompany stupidity. It is no wonder that colonialism did not succeed.
    Coming from where it’s coming, it doesn’t impress me, but it’s disturbing to live in the same world as people like that, who still feel like there are nations or people superior to others in such aspects. It’s somehow a new kind of colonialism if you ask me.
    Something similar in the case of luxury Swiss watches as well -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielad.../#18fba10869f3

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

FYI - Statesiders - Elysees Parfums now has it for 77,50 € after VAT is deducted but before shipping and they do ship to the US.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Nice, ty for the info

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    FYI - Statesiders - Elysees Parfums now has it for 77,50 € after VAT is deducted but before shipping and they do ship to the US.
    Thank you for sharing Hednic!

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    I was able to place an order today for a 100 ML bottle with https://www.news-parfums.com/fr/. Shipping was 20 euros so not horrible.

Did you yours ever arrive?
    My bottle of L'Homme Idéal Extrême arrived today!

IMG_20200707_124829.jpg

For those interested the purchase experience from News Parfums was excellent. I ordered a 100 ML bottle which cost 88,82 € that total included shipping costs on 6-29-20, they shipped it from France via Colissimo on 6-30-20 and it arrived at my home in Houston,TX on 7-7-20 via USPS with signature confirmation.

So far I like it, although I've only been wearing it for about an hour. It opens with a very smooth leather / almond / and a touch of booze. I also get a hint of tobacco. It's very well blended and modern, while also feeling like the more mature, successful older brother to the original EDT.

Thank you, HFMIII for the info and the great picture. Enjoy!
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Sounds good

Well, my decant of this arrived today.

I get a blast of medicinal cherry syrup up front that settles into a cloud of almond, vanilla, tobacco, and leather. It's powdery and sweet.

Reminds me in feeling of Salvatore Ferragamo Uomo Signature, but I like Signature more.

The cherry syrup sounds off putting. I've heard good things but that part I'm not sure about.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Fragrance, sensory bliss.

I’m still looking forward to trying this one, reviews says it’s the best out of the EDT, EDP the more rounded Ideal of the three I hope to try this one soon. There was a review stating the wow factor is comparable to L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP and I’m all over that one 10/10 for me and my favorite Guerlain fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    The cherry syrup sounds off putting. I've heard good things but that part I'm not sure about.
    I have to agree with the cherry sounding off putting and I don't like too sweet in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Well, my decant of this arrived today.

I get a blast of medicinal cherry syrup up front that settles into a cloud of almond, vanilla, tobacco, and leather. It's powdery and sweet.

Reminds me in feeling of Salvatore Ferragamo Uomo Signature, but I like Signature more.
    I have read reviews where people say they get a blast of cinnamon in the opening. You didn't notice the same?

The EDP has a strong cherry note and that's my favorite one. If you like the smell of cherry liqueur and/or amaretto then it should be a pleasing accord.

I have a bottle and the tobacco is very prominent in this one, especially the opening, which is also spicy.
    It then becomes slightly fruity (perhaps a plum or cherry accord) which to me smells a bit sour for some reason.
    The powdery sweetness is still there, but it's more mature if that make sense, the leather is also detectable. The almond I only get if I really stuff my nose against my arm to smell it.
    All in all a nice release, but I still prefer the EDP. It's sunny now so maybe this one performs and smells better in cold weather.

Agree, regular one it nice - so easy and likeable ( prolly a masterpiece its so innocuously good & solid) - I wonder whether this flanker has some sort of bite/effervescence/smokiness or something else that'll offset the bludgeon of sweet thickness?

I've never tried the original. I tried Ideal Cool and it was terrible. Based on that experience, I'm quite wary.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I have read reviews where people say they get a blast of cinnamon in the opening. You didn't notice the same?
    I didn't get that, no.

Weren't there some comparisons, notewise, to Michael? I've heard the scent is much different, though.

I've never tried the original. I tried Ideal Cool and it was terrible. Based on that experience, I'm quite wary.
    In that case I'd wager that you wouldn't like any of them. They all have a similar vibe to my nose, especially with the almond note.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Agree, regular one it nice - so easy and likeable ( prolly a masterpiece its so innocuously good & solid) - I wonder whether this flanker has some sort of bite/effervescence/smokiness or something else that'll offset the bludgeon of sweet thickness?
    The tobacco/leather gives it some contrast, but not really an edge or bite. It's softer than the likes of Chergui. It's very "unisex."

It feels to me a bit like a less complex Lalique Noir Or Intemporel 1888, which is similarly soft and gentle and sweet, even if the tobacco in there gives it a bit of smoky/earthy heart.

The tobacco/leather gives it some contrast, but not really an edge or bite. It's softer than the likes of Chergui. It's very "unisex."

It feels to me a bit like a less complex Lalique Noir Or Intemporel 1888, which is similarly soft and gentle and sweet, even if the tobacco in there gives it a bit of smoky/earthy heart.
    Cheers, sounds quite nice, personally felt that original is missing something ( but then again, could be it's just solid and I we often want something that knocks socks!). My brother likes it ( snaffled my bottle !) Lol I'll prolly pass it on too should I pick one up at a good rate or decant and it doesnt tickle me 😀

just sampled this one. it has a cherry/almond/slightly powdery feel. i get a little bit of a fruity chewing gum vibe. yes, it does have just hints of Michael by michael kors in there. there is some tobacco and leather in the base. its overall a nice smelling yet tame and faint and it sits close to the skin. i'm overall not that impressed but i will try it again.
    For Sale: DHP, Guerlain L'Instant d'un Ete pour homme, Thameen, Oud Rosewood, Vintage Oud wood, Santal Noir, kalan, Guerlain homme l'eau, patchouli Ardent, bond love NY, Sauvage parfum, Fidelis and others. Many decants/splits too.

Bottle Sale thread: Click here

Decants Thread: Click here

That seems to be a common thing I have noticed - where fragrances that are called EXTREME or INTENSE are anything but. However that is the expectation we have - hoping for a powerhouse, but getting something with no edge or bite.

This is my favorite from the line so far.

That sounds very good. Idéal Extrême is on my shopping list. I am just waiting for Kicks or some other online store to discount it. It's a bit too expensive for me to buy at full retail.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    This is my favorite from the line so far.
    Perhaps for me also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Fragrance, sensory bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight99 View Post
    That sounds very good. Idéal Extrême is on my shopping list. I am just waiting for Kicks or some other online store to discount it. It's a bit too expensive for me to buy at full retail.
    Agree, even the sellers on eBay are flipping it for double retail haha.