Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Has anyone tried Moschino Toy Boy for men?

I know it’s not always indicative of real smell but this was in a pullout in my Men’s Health and it smelled like a chemical disaster. All over the place. Honestly I usually think something positive but it was odd. But I will try it when I get out on a few months again
    "Desperation is a stinky cologne."
    --Super Troopers
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Any thoughts on the aftershave version of this?
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight99 View Post
    My first impression is a dusty rose dominant scent. I also detect some nutmeg. I don’t think I like this very much. It reminds me very much of Potion Royal Black by Dsquared², and I think I prefer Potion Royal Black. Toy Boy is not as sweet and I like that. Toy Boy has this dusty aspect that gets stuck in my throat. I will test it further and will see how it goes.
    After wearing this a few times, I must admit that it is pretty good. The dustiness I experienced when I first sampled it, I haven’t noticed again. There is a difference in smelling it on your arm, and actually walking around with it on your body.

The rose is very dominating, and you have to really enjoy rose to like this perfume. One time I sprayed it on myself in the bedroom, and then left for a short walk. When I came back to the bedroom 45 minutes later, the air was filled with this wonderful smell of rose, almost reminiscent of Noir de Noir by Tom Ford. I also get wonderful impressions smelling it on my shirt from the day before.

So Toy Boy is definitely growing on me. I now like it more than Potion Royal Black. Toy Boy seems more subtle and refined whereas Potion Royal Black uses brute force. It took a few wearings, but I really start to enjoy Toy Boy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight99 View Post
    After wearing this a few times, I must admit that it is pretty good. The dustiness I experienced when I first sampled it, I haven’t noticed again. There is a difference in smelling it on your arm, and actually walking around with it on your body.

The rose is very dominating, and you have to really enjoy rose to like this perfume. One time I sprayed it on myself in the bedroom, and then left for a short walk. When I came back to the bedroom 45 minutes later, the air was filled with this wonderful smell of rose, almost reminiscent of Noir de Noir by Tom Ford. I also get wonderful impressions smelling it on my shirt from the day before.

So Toy Boy is definitely growing on me. I now like it more than Potion Royal Black. Toy Boy seems more subtle and refined whereas Potion Royal Black uses brute force. It took a few wearings, but I really start to enjoy Toy Boy now.
    Same here, awesome niche quality scent!

Tried this today and the dry down takes a total direction. To me it smells like a wet green tea bag with a hue of pear and light rose. I kept reaching to smell my arm over and over.
    It def has something that works good on me. I am not a fan of rose on a men's fragrance but this one is a keeper.

Yes, it is not a beast mode fragrance whatsoever, fairly average. You shouldn't be misled by the name or bottle though, it's not a bad or amateur fragrance. It reminds me of wet cucumber with rose and pear. It's actually fairly feminine, not something for me.

Trying it today for the first time on my arm and on paper — I got to say it smells pretty good. Fairly feminine to me also, but I will wear this. Especially since its not sweet. Its a mature (not elderly), big and dusty, yet quite juicy/jammy/fresh rose with a little pear, spices etc.
    I was a little afraid of the pear, because although I love the fruit, I find it difficult in fragrances. Here, I think its blended in very nicely with the (to me) dominant rose.
    Currently wearing: Paradis Perdu by Frapin

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I sampled this on Friday and was pretty impressed with the drydown. Somewhat mature but does not smell feminine to me. Stupid name and bottle but the fragrance is a surprise hit, although this is the first Moschino I've ever tried.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

I just received this today, and was a blind buy. The opening was basically a prim rose with spices (particularly the pink pepper). The opening smelled completely niche, and even in the mid, the comparison is relatable. In the mid, magnolia and pear back up the rose to create a sweet, slightly jammy floral accord, and there is a smooth dark smokyness along with spices to balance out the femininity. Nutmeg comes to the forefront in the mid. This mid reminds me of my favorite smelling fragrance: Commodity Velvet, although Velvet is a little more masculine and sexy. Toy Boy is very well blended, and leans feminine. I would think it suitable for all seasons, although the scent character better befits the darkness of evening. This seems to match more formal clothes and situations. Toy Boy is definitely not a mega compliment getter. If you're a fan of rose based niche scents, you may like this one; I sure do!

[Edit]: In the drydown, I'm getting woods, and something I can't describe. The more time goes on, the more masculine it smells. At the end of it's life, it turns musky.
    Last edited by Alonewithcologne; 25th September 2020 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonewithcologne View Post
    I just received this today, and was a blind buy. The opening was basically a prim rose with spices (particularly the pink pepper). The opening smelled completely niche, and even in the mid, the comparison is relatable. In the mid, magnolia and pear back up the rose to create a sweet, slightly jammy floral accord, and there is a smooth dark smokyness along with spices to balance out the femininity. Nutmeg comes to the forefront in the mid. This mid reminds me of my favorite smelling fragrance: Commodity Velvet, although Velvet is a little more masculine and sexy. Toy Boy is very well blended, and leans feminine. I would think it suitable for all seasons, although the scent character better befits the darkness of evening. This seems to match more formal clothes and situations. Toy Boy is definitely not a mega compliment getter. If you're a fan of rose based niche scents, you may like this one; I sure do!
    I got to say that after wearing it a lot of times, I mostly agree with this statement. It is a very good fragrance and also has an extremely good performance that is on par with the top performing perfumes that I‘ve experieced so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ThVH View Post
    I got to say that after wearing it a lot of times, I mostly agree with this statement. It is a very good fragrance and also has an extremely good performance that is on par with the top performing perfumes that I‘ve experieced so far.
    I'm curious, what do you disagree with? I have an inexperienced nose, and make many mistakes.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I sampled this on Friday and was pretty impressed with the drydown. Somewhat mature but does not smell feminine to me. Stupid name and bottle but the fragrance is a surprise hit, although this is the first Moschino I've ever tried.
    I just realized when I tried this, I also sampled Missoni Pour Homme on the other wrist and got the two confused. Lol
    Although Toy Boy is a well made scent, way too cloying with the sweetness and the florals lean too heavy on a 'feminine' side for my tastes.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Alonewithcologne View Post
    I'm curious, what do you disagree with? I have an inexperienced nose, and make many mistakes.
    No real disagreements here, just slightly different impressions. I don‘t get any smoke, and the spices are there, but in the background to my nose.
    I don‘t think this is about mistakes I‘m even more beginner and my impressions might change as the nose develops. A basenoter whose opinion I value a lot for example has had completely different impressions. I don‘t know if I will get these in some years, or if noses stay different.

I like it a lot, but it was my first rose fragrance also and that might contribute to the positive impressions. I sampled Portrait of a Lady some days ago, which was superb, and am slowly getting to know more roses.

Blog Entries

Nice frag, but bordering on feminine for me, also very strong. Too much rose, and not enough darker notes to offset it. It's like rose and pear from what I remember. Nice dry down though, but nothing to write home about. I'd prob buiy a bottle if I can find one for $20-30 range. I know its gone down in price dramatically. You can almost tell it's gonna be discontinued fast, although many of us online seem infatuated with it (minus me), that often means it doesn't appeal to the general public. I'd give it a couple months before it shoots up in price and becomes discontinued, as I notice this pattern, first retail price a while, then way down, then way up, then gone. So ya, I'll probably get a bottle just to have, if it's gonna be worth something.
    All Time Top 10: Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit Absolute, Corduroy, Seduction in Black, Itasca, Arpege pH, Burberry London, Spark Seduction, Paul Smith Man, Eau des Baux
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

No real disagreements here, just slightly different impressions. I don‘t get any smoke, and the spices are there, but in the background to my nose.
    I don‘t think this is about mistakes I‘m even more beginner and my impressions might change as the nose develops. A basenoter whose opinion I value a lot for example has had completely different impressions. I don‘t know if I will get these in some years, or if noses stay different.

I like it a lot, but it was my first rose fragrance also and that might contribute to the positive impressions. I sampled Portrait of a Lady some days ago, which was superb, and am slowly getting to know more roses.
    I think noses develop with experience and time. I'm excited to keep trying new fragrances, and letting my tastes and impressions change. Portrait of a Lady is nice, I don't love it, but it's a good fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Nice frag, but bordering on feminine for me, also very strong. Too much rose, and not enough darker notes to offset it. It's like rose and pear from what I remember. Nice dry down though, but nothing to write home about. I'd prob buiy a bottle if I can find one for $20-30 range. I know its gone down in price dramatically. You can almost tell it's gonna be discontinued fast, although many of us online seem infatuated with it (minus me), that often means it doesn't appeal to the general public. I'd give it a couple months before it shoots up in price and becomes discontinued, as I notice this pattern, first retail price a while, then way down, then way up, then gone. So ya, I'll probably get a bottle just to have, if it's gonna be worth something.
    It's probably hard to release a fragrance during Wuhan virus restrictions, and it's certainly not something which would sell well in Macy's. That's interesting, I might also pick up another bottle, then, to sell, if it gets cheaper.

I'm not a huge rose fan, but can tolerate it if it's done well. But Toy Boy is a mess to my nose. Screechy, sort of citrus green rose on a bed of nondescript pepper.
    I'm surprised many people like this scent, but there's a fruit accord in there which annoys me. I think it was the pear or maybe ginger. I don't want to say it but overall the scent smells ''cheap'' to me.
    For anyone who's on the fence about this one, sample it first because to me this one is not safe to blind buy.

I must admit I am a little disappointed with this scent. I have been a little undecided. Sometimes I really like it, and other times it is a bit much. In the end I find it okay, but not something I really enjoy. There are definitely better scents out there that are more deserving of my attention.

I tried it a few days ago. I got a lot of violet, I think, and it made me think a lot about CH Men. An OK scent, nothing I will buy more of.

It is not in the directory yet... As Zealot said, a hardcore basenoter won't try it before it is there I thought it was, but I was unfortunately wrong...

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I'm wearing it today evening. Earlier I got a sour rose note on wrist test (not a fan of sour notes), but when worn in skin its different. The sour nose is only when you smell it up close; what you smell via projection doesn't have the sour note.

Lots of pink pepper, with hints of pear, apart from the rose. Not getting much of the magnolia. There are no strong base notes such as musk, woods or vanilla - rather it's un understated blend at this point (1-2 hours in). Still mostly the preppy, upbeat fresh rose/pink pepper.
    Currently wearing: Insensé by Givenchy

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I'm wearing it today evening. Earlier I got a sour rose note on wrist test (not a fan of sour notes), but when worn in skin its different. The sour nose is only when you smell it up close; what you smell via projection doesn't have the sour note.

Lots of pink pepper, with hints of pear, apart from the rose. Not getting much of the magnolia. There are no strong base notes such as musk, woods or vanilla - rather it's un understated blend at this point (1-2 hours in). Still mostly the preppy, upbeat fresh rose/pink pepper.
    3 hours in, it's still pretty linear. This is quite well-crafted. Nothing special, but solid. Still the rose-pink pepper accord is at the heart of things. Projection is moderate and maybe a bit hit/miss but sillage is consistent - I catch whiffs when I move about.

3 hours in, it's still pretty linear. This is quite well-crafted. Nothing special, but solid. Still the rose-pink pepper accord is at the heart of things. Projection is moderate and maybe a bit hit/miss but sillage is consistent - I catch whiffs when I move about.
    I put on a few more sprays before heading out for a post dinner walk. Very nice consistent projection, mostly the rose-pink pepper accord, without any sourness, and smells just nice in the air. Now I'm getting hints of a soft, smooth musk in the base. This is going to get a thumbs up from me.

I put on a few more sprays before heading out for a post dinner walk. Very nice consistent projection, mostly the rose-pink pepper accord, without any sourness, and smells just nice in the air. Now I'm getting hints of a soft, smooth musk in the base. This is going to get a thumbs up from me.
    Glad to read you‘re liking it better now. The absence of woody ACs or vanilla in the base is a huge plus for me. I feel that preppy rose note (great word to describe it btw) somehow bleeds way into the base, where it is joined by something... suede-y? In an abstract way. Maybe that‘s the Sylkolid. I like this handling of a base much better than the woods/vanilla overdoses in many other designers. MUCH better

From what I have read here I feel like Cartier Declaration D'un Soir is a better contemporary rose masculine fix.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    A marvelous scent. Rose and pear are quite prominent. It smells almost niche but unfortunately in the dry down it becomes similar to CH Men.
    I got the similarities to CH Men in the middle notes. Has something of Chloè de Chloè too. Unfortunately the base has tons of ambroxan or anything that smells like it. It was very good until that. The base is off-putting.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Hi Trauerkraut,

Awwww, come on Trauer, tell us how you "really" feel! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyY5vWc5TEQ

SixCats!

I think it’s actually a nice scent. It’s a little “young” for my tastes, but definitely a winner. To me it’s candied fruit and some masculine florals. I ended up gifting a full bottle to my 14 year old nephew and he and his girlfriend love it.
    Current Top 5:

Prada Luna Rossa Black, Bortnikoff Musk Cologne, Mancera Cedrat Bois, Versace Eros, Santa Maria Novella Muschio

All Time Signature Scent: Kiehls Musk

I bought it last year and love it.
    It is strong and long lasting.
    Blind buy for me luckily I really liked it.

I even backed it up with a 100ml to go with my 30ml. Considering the strength of the juice, I think that‘s quite a lot. I do also get the scratchyness in the (very late) dry down, but on my skin, it only arrives well after 12+ hours, so it doesn‘t matter to me really. I still think Toy Boy is a massive winner in the rose genre and have worn it quite a bot. Also very nice for spring time!

Yes it's quite fantastic.
    It has a 68% alcohol content which is the lowest I've ever seen in a designer fragrance.

I even backed it up with a 100ml to go with my 30ml. Considering the strength of the juice, I think that‘s quite a lot. I do also get the scratchyness in the (very late) dry down, but on my skin, it only arrives well after 12+ hours, so it doesn‘t matter to me really. I still think Toy Boy is a massive winner in the rose genre and have worn it quite a bot. Also very nice for spring time!
    It’s indeed nice. It’s me that is overly sensitive to ambroxan.
    I thought the note was new in the industry but someone here told it isn’t. It makes me wonder if I have any perfume with it that I haven’t noticed yet. Maybe in very low doses.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.